• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mandelbaum

Mandelbaum: "It's Go Time!"

What a week. My foot was hurting so bad that I made an appointment to see my orthopedist right when they opened Tuesday morning. He checked out my foot and then gave me another cortisone shot (in between the 2nd and 3rd toes this time; last time was between the 4th and 5th). If this doesn't work, I will get an MRI to (hopefully) find out what's going on. I am not sure what caused the pain to flare back up, but I am not going to go to Boot Camp until I am cleared to run. 

I was gone for Sunday/Monday for Labor Day (the sauteed cabbage and sauerkraut salad was a HUGE hit!). When I got home, I found that my shed had been broken into and two of my bikes had been stolen. :(

I am getting nervous about my chin-up "test" on Sunday. I am resting up (no upper body workouts) and trying to get enough calories in so I'm at my best!

Amazing how you got confidence eating paleo! It gives a lot of balance if you don't care about what others think about you anymore. I'm also glad to hear people loved the salad. But hearing about your foot sucks. I hope it's nothing to harmfull and that you'll be cleared to run soon. And if that was not enough bad luck, two bikes stolen! I can imagine that your motivation got a major set back. I hope things will get better soon and that you'll be able to do those pullups. But even if you won't be able to do them you should not feel like you haven't accomplished anything. Just as (if my sources are right) Greg Anderson once said: "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.â€

Six-Week Challenge results:

1) I went to the gym on Sunday night to "test out". Although I'd been doing a pull-up readiness routine for weeks, I'd not been able to do a chin-up yet (I'd tried a few times, here and there). Anyway...I did 2 chin-ups!! Yay - I honestly wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do one, let alone two. :)

2) I ended up with a "C" on this part of the challenge. I've learned some things along the way. Yes, the confidence to eat what I want in front of others is one of them. Just the other day, I had steak and eggs for breakfast (very unusual, but I had to use up the meat before it spoiled) and was amazed that it kept me feeling full for hours and hours. It was great. I'm trying it again this morning (but with pork this time). I also know that I need to start off my day right. If I start off 'relaxed' with what I eat (and how much I eat, really) then I seem to stay relaxed throughout the day.  So, although my grade wasn't good on this part of the challenge, my awareness of my eating patterns and habits have increased. Plus - two good friends of mine (a married couple have just started eating Paleo now and are very excited about it). 

3) I am still doing what I am supposed to with my foot. The second cortisone shot seems to be working so far. There is no running in my foreseeable future, unfortunately. My physical therapy is progressing, though (adding harder exercises each time). I've been icing it each day, too. I'm hoping that helps.

Life Quest: I feel good about my progress with this goal. I am definitely more comfortable with venturing out on my own to attend public gatherings. I'm more comfortable when I'm there, but also more likely to venture out in the first place. It doesn't seem like such a big deal any more. Also, I started my self-defense class on Monday and am enjoying it.

Congrats on the chin-ups! That is amazing! It looks like you gained a lot of confidence during this challenge (eating, meeting people). It's a big plus that your friends started the Paleo diet too. Now you can exchange recepies and talk about food all day! (and about other things too of course :P) Having people that support you is always nice.

Succes with continuing this progress!