• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman in the Challenge Arena for Round 2, FIGHT!

Hello fellow Adventurers!  Last time was my First NF challenge.  I think I did pretty well.  Learned a few things, and am ready to kick this next challenge up a notch,

One bad thing I did in between challenges was to revert back a little.  I haven't done a true workout since last time.  Eating has been ok.  Sleep I have stayed up a little bit.  All that is changing now  ;)  Now I know between challenges, I am not going to revert back to the old ways at all.  It is just better that way.

So on with the new!

My Main Quest:

I signed up to run a Spartan Sprint Race in December 7th down in Malibu,Ca.  I need to work on quite a few things to get ready for this.  Mostly I need to lose weight, and get stronger.  To do this, I am going to focus on extra exercise, and I am going to attempt to slay the sugar dragon.

1)  Do The Whole 30 plan.

This I think might be one of the toughest challenges for me to get going.  This goes further then my must eat veggies goal last time.  No more processed, well, anything really.  I just finished reading the book It Starts with Food.  Even now I am unsure if I can do this, but I am just going to go for it.  I won't know until I do it  :)

2)  No snacking!

Last challenge I was just going for no late night snacking.  Now I am cutting it out completely.  Part of the Whole 30 plan is no snacking, but I think it is important enough to warrant it's own listing.  This won't count towards a pre or post workout meal if I need to start those.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

3)  Exercise to be done 6 out of the 7 days.  (Workout 3x, 60k weekly steps)

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be workouts following the Rebel fitness guide.  Extra cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  So this will be another jump from my goal last time.  I am going to make it mandatory for me to do the intervals on workout days, plus the extra walking on the days off.  I am going to track my daily steps via my fitbit one.  I copied the Walking to Mordor challenge sheets to my google drive, and will start up this challenge for fun and tracking of my daily steps  :)

My Side Quest:

4)  Be a better Bowler

This might be considered exercise and not just a life goal.  I need to practice bowling.  I have had one coaching session when I was in Reno with Mike Jasnau. He help line up a few things for me to work on.  Not practicing for score, but working on technique.   4 to 5 specific parts to work.  10-20 shots each one.  Also recording for review. My plan is to head over to the bowling alley every Sunday and get a lane to practice on. There is some things I can work on at home as well to help out. So I don't absolutly have to actually go to the bowling alley for them all, but I think it helps.

My Motivation:

I want to get healthy. Not just for myself, but for my kids. I want to show it can be done. I want to get healthy the right ways to show my doctor I don't need to get on their stupid liquid diet plan whenever I ask about food issues. I want to be like the people in the biggest loser fighting to get to 1'derland (under 200lbs in weight)

​I want to live a better life for myself. I never thought I would live to see the day that I would wish I could run again, or I could try to do pull ups. I want to be able to set goals that I think are impossible, yet get them done. This challenge has some of that in it for sure. One of the best memories I have was setting a goal to run a 1/2 mile in under 3 minutes. I was in 6th grade, and we just were getting introduced to running the 1/2 mile then. I saw the fast people getting it done. That first day I said before I leave that school I will run it in under 3 minutes. 6th grade we all rebelled against everyone. I don't know if I ever truly ran it. 7th grade we did the half mile runs, and mile runs twice a week. I think my best times we only in the 3:30 times or so. The last day of 8th grade PE. I was 225lbs then. I decided I was going to go for it. My friend was on the sidelines with a broken arm. My teacher said go, and I was off like a sprint. I remember just running so fast. Our course wasn't all track, it went around backstops and such on the school grounds. I remember passing kids like a blur. I kept going for the one faster kid in our group. Passed him coming into the last turn. I see my friend jumping up and down yelling for me to go. I was still just running so fast. Faster then I think I ever had. I crossed the line at 2:57. I did it, just barely, but I did it. I beat everyone that day. I just wished that carried onto rest of my school years. ;)

​So that is the kind of stuff I am looking to do again. I can jog a little know, but I want to run. Anyhow, that is for other future challenges I think ;)

Grading!

1)  The Whole 30.  This is a sort of all or nothing challenge.  I will attempt to grade it anyway

A:  Completed the whole 30 day program, and kept with it the rest of the challenge!

B:  Completed the whole 30 day program, but only continued a week afterwards.

C:  Completed the whole 30 day program, and stopped there

D:  You gave a good try, but failed to go a complete 30 days

F:  Didn't even give it a try

2)  No Snacking.  Will tie in greatly with the first challenge.

A:  Wicked, no snacking the whole challenge!

B:  Ahh so close.  Just those one or two snacks did you in!

C:  Some days you snacked, some days you didn't.  Really Meh effort

D:  Well, you sort of tried to have a few days there with no snacks

F:  Hmm, new nickname needs to change to Sir snacksalot?

3)  Exercise 6 of 7 days
A:  Sweet, You might be a little sore, but I bet you are feeling great!
B:  Got in all of the exercise and most of the steps
C:  Only completed 1/2 the stuff.  Not great.
D:  Well, at least you got a little done
F:  Failed to exercise and walk.  

4)  Bowling practice
A:  Practiced all the stuff, and recorded for review
B:  Practiced all, but didn't video
C:  Practiced most  
D:  hey, got some practice on one or two times at least
F:  You did actually want to get better, right?

Walking to Mordor spreadsheet for tracking my steps every day.
Stats!

Starting weight 318lbs
Left Bicep:  44cm
Right Bicep:  43cm
Left Forearm:  33.2cm
Right Forearm:  33.6cm
Chest:  134.8cm
Waist at belly button:  144.4cm
Neck:  49.1cm
Left Thigh:  72cm
Right Thigh:  72cm
Left Calf:  50.9cm
Right Calf:  48.3cm

I love your Life Quest! Bowling is so much fun. What is your current average? (BTW, I'm sure you will rock your goals, but... well... BOWLING!)

Thanks :)  The last year I have slumped a bit, but book average from last year is a 194.  A couple of years ago I finished a summer league with a 211 average.  I hope to get closer to that ;)

Welcome back Tateman! I followed you, and admired you, during the first challenge. You can do this, I know you can!

Thanks so much.  I appreciate it a lot.  We will all rock this challenge! :D

Hey Tateman! I am doing The Whole 30 as well! Yay Great goals, good luck with everything.

Thanks.  I almost wasn't going to try it.  I waited so long to make my challenge post so I coudl finish reading the book and trying to decided if I was going for it or not.  So far so good ;)

Welcome back!!! Some solid and difficult goals there. Keep your head up and keep striving each day and I am sure you will achieve them! I want to do a tough mudder when i get back stateside, but am trying to get the wife to do a spartan sprint to see how we like it. 

Great goals you have here. And please share photos from the Spartan Race. I'm a little too chicken to do that one, but did the Warrior Dash a year ago. It was so much fun!

And bowling! I'm horrible at it, but love playing. Good luck with everything during the challenge!

Your goals sound challenging, but I know you can do it with how awesome you did last challenge. Good luck!

Thanks :)  I made my steps goal base off you seeing you doing so well.  I figured I had to just do it :)

Welcome back!!! Some solid and difficult goals there. Keep your head up and keep striving each day and I am sure you will achieve them! I want to do a tough mudder when i get back stateside, but am trying to get the wife to do a spartan sprint to see how we like it. 

Thanks.  I want to run Tough Mudder with my sister and her family next year.  I forget when it is exactly.  I also want to run the 3 different Spartan races.  I figured signing up to do the Sprint this year would be a good into into it all for me.  Also good motivation to get off my butt and get healthy already.  I am worried I won't be prepared enough for December, so I have to work hard.  I don't think I can even do one burpee yet ;)  

Great goals you have here. And please share photos from the Spartan Race. I'm a little too chicken to do that one, but did the Warrior Dash a year ago. It was so much fun!

And bowling! I'm horrible at it, but love playing. Good luck with everything during the challenge!

Oh I will for sure.  the hope is to save up and buy a go pro to wear during it. :)

What's the whole 30 then? Have I missed something?

Great goals! Don't forget to drink lots (water, though vodka would  be just as fun...!) whilst doing all the above!

Wow dude, I'm TOTALLY stalking you this challenge!

<brofist>  Us dad's gotta stick together, btw, love your goals.  You'll be able to do them, just take it one step at a time and stay on target.

Oh, as far as the regression goes... I've had 5 challenges and I'm guilty of that more than I'd like to admit.  With your main quest up there though, that can help carry you through when you're not having to report up on the threads as to what's going on, ya know?

The important thing is that you're back and you're ready to do it all over again.  

Keep up the great work!

good luck with the whole 30.  When I first started I did a detox like that and it's horrible for the first week or so.  Then your body starts to get used to it and gets easier and easier.  Glad to see you back man.  Excited for this new challenge.  followed :)

What's the whole 30 then? Have I missed something?

Great goals! Don't forget to drink lots (water, though vodka would  be just as fun...!) whilst doing all the above!

The whole 30 is very similar to eating Paleo or primal.  In the book they talk about it as a way to eat food that doesn't interfere or cause reactions to your body.  http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/  Really a super clean style of eating.  So really no processed foods.  No sugars, dairy, or grains.  The book starts off talking about all you can't eat, but by the end you realize there is still plenty you can eat.  Liek my lunch today was chicken breast and Broccolli roasted in the oven with some EVOO, salt, and pepper.  then I shared a apple with my 2 year old.  Of course, no alcohol during this either ;)  Not too big of a deal for me since I am really only a social drinker. (I love anything with vodka in it ;) )  I've been pretty much just water for awhile, and always make sure I drink lots of it too.

Go Tateman! We're doing some similar things with food so you better believe I'll be sending you tons of recipes :D

Excellent!  I was thinking I might try to post up what I eat if it is anything decent.  I am even eating vegetables without complaining about it now haha :)

Wow dude, I'm TOTALLY stalking you this challenge!

<brofist>  Us dad's gotta stick together, btw, love your goals.  You'll be able to do them, just take it one step at a time and stay on target.

Oh, as far as the regression goes... I've had 5 challenges and I'm guilty of that more than I'd like to admit.  With your main quest up there though, that can help carry you through when you're not having to report up on the threads as to what's going on, ya know?

The important thing is that you're back and you're ready to do it all over again.  

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!  I hear ya! :)  The one thing I love with the challenge is that I post up what I do.  Good or bad.  Good old accountability ;)  I even start posting to some friends on Facebook to get extra there.

good luck with the whole 30.  When I first started I did a detox like that and it's horrible for the first week or so.  Then your body starts to get used to it and gets easier and easier.  Glad to see you back man.  Excited for this new challenge.  followed :)

I figure it might be rough.  So far it is ok.  Since last challenge I was working on getting more veggies to eat, I think that helped a lot.  The biggest issue I have following the whole 30 so far is making sure stuff I am going to eat doesn't have hidden sugars in it and such.  I need to make a shopping trip tomorrow to stock up on the good stuff.  Might even try to make my own clarified butter :)  I'll be keeping up with your posts this challenge too.  Good to see you back as well!

Sounds like you have a great plan for this challenge. Good Luck and kick butt!

I am going to try.  Posting it up, it felt bigger then I could handle.  So far so good though. :)

Welcome back, tateman! 

I am so excited to see your progress for the whole 30. I am very impressed that you are going for it. 

I can definitely empathize with you in regards to your favorite fitness related memory. When I was in the 5th grade I raced a few of the boys in my class during PE while wearing flats and a skirt. I won the race and I have always wanted to regain that feeling again. Thank you for bringing up that memory for me. 

I hope you have terrific success. You have this in the bag! :) 

Welcome back, tateman! 

I am so excited to see your progress for the whole 30. I am very impressed that you are going for it. 

I can definitely empathize with you in regards to your favorite fitness related memory. When I was in the 5th grade I raced a few of the boys in my class during PE while wearing flats and a skirt. I won the race and I have always wanted to regain that feeling again. Thank you for bringing up that memory for me. 

I hope you have terrific success. You have this in the bag! :)

Thanks.  It's funny remembering things like this, and getting that feeling.  I sort of hope I get that feeling again when I do the Spartan race.  I know I won't be first.  I am pretty sure I won't even be able to run it all.  I just think I will feel really good getting it done though.

The school I use to go to is about 4 hours drive from here.  Last time we drove by, I mentioned to my wife that I might have to come back down and run it again to see how fast I can go ;)  Still got a long bit a training to go for that though.

You know, if anyone else said "Im going to do Whole 30" after a first challenge goal of "eat veggies", I'd question it. However, you saying that, just means I get to watch you kick ass, again! LOVE the bowling goal and your motivation for doing the quest is always inspiring! I think it's great when a man really embraces being a father, because we need as many good men as we can get in the world.

So, I'm subbed, carry on!

You know, if anyone else said "Im going to do Whole 30" after a first challenge goal of "eat veggies", I'd question it. However, you saying that, just means I get to watch you kick ass, again! LOVE the bowling goal and your motivation for doing the quest is always inspiring! I think it's great when a man really embraces being a father, because we need as many good men as we can get in the world.

So, I'm subbed, carry on!

Thanks!  I appreciate it a lot.  I try to be a good Dad.  Sometimes I fail, but I try to do my best.  The biggest reward for me would be to see my older son turn his eating habits around.  Then at least he won't be in my position or worse by the time he is my age. :) 

My 2 year old is a crack up.  I really really need to find a way to record him when I go to work out.  This morning he saw me put my stuff down and started saying jump jacks.  Then started jumping around.  I did my 10 warmups and then he went right to the steps and started going up and down and counting.  he was ready for me to do the step ups I guess.  :)

I'll go ahead and do my Day 1 roundup here.  Still about a 1/2 hour till bed, but close enough ;)

Day started up pretty good.

Breakfast I had 3 eggs scrambled with some green and red bell peppers.  No ham since I am not sure if lunch meat is clean enough for the Whole 30.

Got outside about 12:30pm and did my Rebel Fitness Guide Recruit Level 2 workout.  Finished that, then did my intervals out back.  Basically I walk around the back yeard, then minute I push hard I job in place.  I tried to finish aff each push it period really hard.

Lunch I roasted two chicken breasts and Broccoli in evoo, Salt, and pepper.  Then shared a Apple with my 2 year old.

I need to run to the store tomorrow so I made a list of things to get.  I want to try and prep food for easy heating up later too.

The wife ordered pizza tonight :(  I got a anti-pasta salad though.  Figured I would eat it when I got back from bowling.  Of course, I need to figure out salad dressing too since I have none I can eat.

Went and bowled my Monday night league.  Did ok one game, not so great the two other games, but it is the PBA pro shot league, so it is kind of expected ;)

Got home and figured I would dive into that salad and maybe do a make shift evoo white vinegar dressing.  Come to find out, there is cheese on the salad :(  Instead of just sayign the hell with it and eatign it, I grabbed out my bowl of chopped bell pepper, cucumbers, sliced up a tomato, and grabbed some lettuce off some we just had bought.  Made my own salad.  Grab some more chicken breast (this time just microwave since they are precooked)

As I eat, I decide to take a look at the ingredients for the chicken.  Sure enough, they we precooked with a form of sugar.   :(  double damn.  So technically there goes my whole 30 for day 1.  I still ate good for the day, but I can't count today as day 1 done.  I'll be extra careful to check everything else.  Luckily it is a 30 day program, so I didn't fail it for the challenge.

Day is winding down, and I am at 7500 steps or so.  Finish eating, then hit the streets at 10:30pm :)  I don't know what final count will be, but currently I am at 10330 steps for the day.  Got a notice I passed a couple of people in my fitbit friends list too, so added bonus haha.

Overall I thought a pretty decent day.  I didn't think to check chicken breast for sugar additives.  Sneaky sugars!  Lesson learned.  I forgot to get my measurements today.  I could just copy from last challenge, btu I will make new ones tomorrow.  I'll edit my Walking to Mordor Challenge spreadsheet tomorrow with my official step count.

Got home and figured I would dive into that salad and maybe do a make shift evoo white vinegar dressing.  Come to find out, there is cheese on the salad :(  Instead of just sayign the hell with it and eatign it, I grabbed out my bowl of chopped bell pepper, cucumbers, sliced up a tomato, and grabbed some lettuce off some we just had bought.  Made my own salad.  Grab some more chicken breast (this time just microwave since they are precooked)

As I eat, I decide to take a look at the ingredients for the chicken.  Sure enough, they we precooked with a form of sugar.   :(  double damn.  So technically there goes my whole 30 for day 1.  I still ate good for the day, but I can't count today as day 1 done.  I'll be extra careful to check everything else.  Luckily it is a 30 day program, so I didn't fail it for the challenge.

I did a Whole 30 two challenges ago.  With this it is hard especially if your family isn't doing it also (I live alone) You made really good choices though and a little sugar is not going to kill you the first day.  I actually ate cabbage roll casserole the first 2 days (it has rice in it) because I refused to throw it out.  I still lost 19lbs and 3 inches off my waist.  Don't get down about one slip  - learn from it and move on!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

I did a Whole 30 two challenges ago.  With this it is hard especially if your family isn't doing it also (I live alone) You made really good choices though and a little sugar is not going to kill you the first day.  I actually ate cabbage roll casserole the first 2 days (it has rice in it) because I refused to throw it out.  I still lost 19lbs and 3 inches off my waist.  Don't get down about one slip  - learn from it and move on!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

That right there is some of the best advice anyone can give.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and you're in this for the long haul. :)

Yup, not going to let that stop me, still going with it :)

Of course I get up today and feel I have a blister on my foot. doh!  I guess I will baby it a little.  I'll still get some steps though best I can.