• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman in the Challenge Arena for Round 2, FIGHT!

Very cool, let us know how it is!

Will do :)

Life is full of opportunity costs, Tateman, just a matter of making sure the opportunity is worth the cost in the long run.  :)

Indeed ;)

I'm intrigued by your Whole 30- not heard of this before.  I like the idea of the spreadsheet.  Are you using a fitbit or some other device to track your steps?

First I heard about it was mid challenge last time.  My sister-in-law sent me the book.  At the time I had no idea it was about the whole 30.  I saw someone else doing it, so I decided to check it out.  Then I read the book just before this challenge started.  For my steps tracking I am using my fitbit one.  The website tracks steps, and there is a part that shows how many miles you went.

Hey you, I'm so impressed that you are taking such huge strides! On top of the eating better (Whole 30?!?!), it sounds like you've gotten so much more confident in your cooking and overall food knowledge.

Keep kicking butt!

Looks like you're working your but off this challenge (figuratively and literally)!  I love hearing about your paleo food adventure (clarifying butter, 10 minute chili).  I am a huge food nerd.  Please keep us updated on how your recipes go.  

Also, can anyone confirm if smoked BBQ (ie. ribs, pork shoulder, etc.) are paleo?  Assuming, of course, no sugar in the dry rub or sauce.

Hey you, I'm so impressed that you are taking such huge strides! On top of the eating better (Whole 30?!?!), it sounds like you've gotten so much more confident in your cooking and overall food knowledge.

Keep kicking butt!

Thanks :)  It seems weird to think before the first challenge I was barley eating vegetables.  Then the first challenge was working them in.  Then this challenge I am trying to have vegetable with every meal :)  Seems liek broccoli and cauliflower the most right now, and I never thought I would be eating those.  I use to hate them with a passion.  (still don't like them steamed)

Looks like you're working your but off this challenge (figuratively and literally)!  I love hearing about your paleo food adventure (clarifying butter, 10 minute chili).  I am a huge food nerd.  Please keep us updated on how your recipes go.  

Also, can anyone confirm if smoked BBQ (ie. ribs, pork shoulder, etc.) are paleo?  Assuming, of course, no sugar in the dry rub or sauce.

As long as you use all Paleo ingredients the end results should also be Paleo.

Yup, like RogueWelkin said, use paleo ingredients, then it should end up paleo.

The BBQ sauce in the whole 30 book has tomato sauce, unsweetened apple sauce, cider vinegar, coconut aminos, Dijon Mustard, hot-pepper sauce, black pepper, clarified butter or coconut oil, garlic minced, chili powder, paprika, pinch cloves, and cayenne pepper (optional)

DOMS is really kicking my butt this week.  It also feels like I pinched a nerve sleeping last night or something.  Feel like someone stuck a rod though my right shoulder blade.  It's good to be sore, just not this sore haha.  I need to remember this feeling once the challenge is over and I think to myself I can take time off from working out.

Snacking so I am doing great at.  After my little meat snafu on Day 1, every day has been pretty good so far on the Whole30 plan.  Got in my last workout of the week in today.  My step count has not been so great though.  I'll probably end up failing it this week.  Right now I am at 29608 for the week.  Another 5405 today to put me at 10k for the day.  That would mean I have to hit 12,494 Saturday and Sunday.  I'm not giving up yet, just trying to be realistic.  I haven't hit those kind of numbers in a long long time.

I also have my bowling practice to hit up Sunday morning.

I guess I have been really focusing on making sure the food get going correctly, and slacking on the cardio.  I know if I stick with it all, I can get this done.  It just is taking a little getting use to it all I think.

Hey, if you didn't have to focus to hit the goals they're probably too easy. You're doing great so far, the best part about failure is that there's one way to go from there and that's up. Plus it can be helpful to motivate and teach ourselves. Keep at it, and as we like to say in the Rogues, Stay On Target.

That's for sure :)  Well, because I can't accept failure (and a little luck my wife was home early) I went for walk #2 today.  I was at 4696 steps on the day.  I am now sitting at 11,728 step :D    The Fibit software let me know I passed 2 people on the friends list just now :)  #7 and climbing.

I'm not out of the danger zone yet though.  If I get no more steps today, I still have to get at least 11,680 the next two days.  Not as impossible as I was thinking earlier.  I'll see how my feet feel, and if any more blisters show up.  Hopefully not.

Now i can cook and eat in a little while, then play some wow later and not feel bad :)  I have some wicked soreness, but the hell with it!

That's right - it needs to be a little challenging.  If your sore, break your walks up.  Walk a mile before breakfast.  Then a mile before lunch, and so on.  That also helps me with muscle soreness.

I think adjust to the food has taken more mental space up this week, not just planning and preparing food but also coping with cravings. Hope it settles down for us both next week so we can have more energy for exercise stuff next week, good luck with completing your steps I am sure you can do it :)

Impressed with your walks and your determination to fit things in.  I always get stuck in routine, and if things aren't "just right" I don't do them at all.  I noticed you are eating a lot of veggies.  Good for you!

I've added you to fitbit, sounds like we take a similar amount of steps - we should have a walk off! :D

Impressed at your ability to quickly turn your diet around, have you been planning to do the whole 30 for long? Or was a quick decision you're now sticking to?

That's right - it needs to be a little challenging.  If your sore, break your walks up.  Walk a mile before breakfast.  Then a mile before lunch, and so on.  That also helps me with muscle soreness.

Yeah, The next week I want to break into a few walks and not have to focus one one big walk.  I just have to take my son for a ride in his stroller :)

I think adjust to the food has taken more mental space up this week, not just planning and preparing food but also coping with cravings. Hope it settles down for us both next week so we can have more energy for exercise stuff next week, good luck with completing your steps I am sure you can do it :)

Yup, this for sure.  I know if I push the walking too hard too fast I end up with a blister and have to baby it for a day, so I need to control that part too.

Impressed with your walks and your determination to fit things in.  I always get stuck in routine, and if things aren't "just right" I don't do them at all.  I noticed you are eating a lot of veggies.  Good for you!

Thanks :)  I notice more and more if I just don't make myself do it, it is harder to try to do it later.  So I try to get my workouts in my mid day.  At night I would rather relax :)

I've added you to fitbit, sounds like we take a similar amount of steps - we should have a walk off! :D

Impressed at your ability to quickly turn your diet around, have you been planning to do the whole 30 for long? Or was a quick decision you're now sticking to?

I added and saw you were up the list from me, so I have some catching up to do ;)  I never tried getting this much walking in, so I have to adjust to it still.  I did 12k one day, then 2k the next because I was trying not to mess with the blister I got.

For the diet, I was starting to look last challenge at changing it up.  being disappointed with my weight loss made me think I really needed to focus on my food intake as my main goal.  I was going to try intermittent fasting.  I didn't decide on the Whole 30 until the day I posted this challenge.  I had literally finish reading the book the day before I posted.  So I was a little unprepared for what all I needed.  So second day of the challenge I went and got a few things.  Then just stuck with it so far.  Going out to get some items today to help, and I bbq'd a few items yesterday that I can eat during the week.  

I think one thing that is helping me stick to it, is the thought that it is helping me lose weight.  I am not tracking calories or anything, but I am also not pigging out on things either.  I never ate so much veggies in my life too :)  I've been lucky enough to not crave snacks as much as I thought I would.  There is still some junk around the house, but I seem to be doing ok with it.  Cravings are there for some things.  Last night I wanted some beans that everyone else was eating.  I just couldn't have them yet.

My soreness was also at a decent level yesterday.  Back to where I think it was in the first challenge.  So hopefully the coming week won't be as bad as this first one.

Well done Tateman, I found I've benefited as well from not tracking my food, last challenge I felt like I spent tons of time in front of MFP obsessing over numbers of carbs and trying to figure stuff out it's been a big relief to not think about it and just enjoy food, so I am glad to hear you've benefited from not counting calories and stuff as well!

I think we are in the same boat, I literally speed read the book after looking at a lot of the stuff on their website and decided the day I posted my challenge I was going to do it! Glad found out about it!

Can I come round for BBQ it sounds delicious! I'm in Scotland so maybe I can parachute in?

Glad to hear you've really taken off with the veggies, it must have been a bit tricky if you've never really eaten them much, that is amazing progress, what is your favourite vegetable at the moment?

Sure, come on over :) haha.

Well, I really like green beans, but am not eating them much.  Funny enough (funny to me anyway) I like roasting broccoli the most.  I do have a frozen veggie pack called a California mix that had Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  I liek roasting those too.  I am going to try to saute some eventually and see if I like that too.  I still need to try roasted asparagus. 

Otherwise I have been having salads.   Green and Red bell peppers, cumber, tomatoes, and lettuce.  I made a ok vinaigrette to use for it.

Picked up some more swai fish today, and grabbed some fruits to eat.

... :o:D wow what an intense set of goals, that's AWESOME! I have not been brave enough to attempt the Whole30 just yet, but I can see you're doing swimmingly!

I have some wicked soreness, but the hell with it!

Love the positive attitude!! I actually enjoy being sore (when it's not from an injury) it reminds me that I'm better today than I was yesterday.  Keep it up!!

You sound like you are on a roll! 

Those steps do sound intimidating but it looks like you are dominating those just like your other goals. Cheers for week 2!

Sure, come on over :) haha.

Well, I really like green beans, but am not eating them much.  Funny enough (funny to me anyway) I like roasting broccoli the most.  I do have a frozen veggie pack called a California mix that had Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  I liek roasting those too.  I am going to try to saute some eventually and see if I like that too.  I still need to try roasted asparagus. 

Otherwise I have been having salads.   Green and Red bell peppers, cumber, tomatoes, and lettuce.  I made a ok vinaigrette to use for it.

Picked up some more swai fish today, and grabbed some fruits to eat.

Roasting veggies is AWESOME.  It makes everything taste much much better imho :)

... :o:D wow what an intense set of goals, that's AWESOME! I have not been brave enough to attempt the Whole30 just yet, but I can see you're doing swimmingly!

Thanks :)  It's not as bad as I thought it would be.  It's tough, and I have been getting some cravings here and there.  So far I seem to be doing ok with it :)

Love the positive attitude!! I actually enjoy being sore (when it's not from an injury) it reminds me that I'm better today than I was yesterday.  Keep it up!!

Yeah, i don't mind a bit of soreness.  Last week it was hurting so bad I could barely get up.  I am hoping this week won't be so bad.

You sound like you are on a roll! 

Those steps do sound intimidating but it looks like you are dominating those just like your other goals. Cheers for week 2!

I think the steps, like my other goals are just going to have to come from me being prepared to plan things out a little more in advance.  Breakign up a few walks seems better then trying to get it one really big one to try to catch up.  I'm working it out :)

Roasting veggies is AWESOME.  It makes everything taste much much better imho :)

Yeah, so far this has been key for me.  I've tried spicing them up different ways too just to add a little difference. 

Week 1 Summary:

1)  Do The Whole 30 plan.

I did really good here.  Day 1 was a false start since the precooked chicken I ate had some sneaky sugar in it.  So my official Day1 on the Whole30 was Tuesday.  I had no prepared meals, so food was taking a focus.  I avoided all the temptations brought in by the family.  No pizza, no fast food, no other meats that I saw had sugar.  This challenge not only has me giving up all processed and fast foods, but I am pretty much making every meal for myself too.  Looking up more and mroe recipes to start making that I can eat during the weeks coming.  Hopefully, a few things the family will enjoy as well.  So A for the week :)

2)  No snacking!

Great work here.  So far this has been going good for me.  I had some snacking cravings last night, but overcame them quick enough.  Just have to recognize that yes something would be nice, but I don't really need it.  It's just my brain saying "Oh it would be great to have some chips right now, or some popcorn".  Then the other part just tells me it's a craving and we aren't really hungry. ;)  So A here too.

3)  Exercise to be done 6 out of the 7 days.  (Workout 3x, 60k weekly steps)

Well, I started off Day1 strong.  Then got a blister ;)  Then since I was not working out the previous two weeks from the last challenge, I was extra sore.  It lasted almost the whole week.  I got in all 3 workouts, but failed to meet my 60000 steps.  I totaled 46,715.  Not bad, but not enough.  I am going to give myself a B for the week.  I feel like this week will be the one to see if I can actually get it done.  All I can do is try to do better each week, and hope I improve more and more. :)

4)  Be a better Bowler

Sunday I did indeed go try to practice 4 things.  I felt like I did good on things not related to bowling though.  I was expecting there to be not many people.  When I showed up, there was a lot.  Then I got put on one lane in between people.  I debated with myself.  Maybe I will just bowl and not record it.  It just made me feel awkward.  I got the the lane and figure the hell with it, I came to record my practice, and that is what I am doing.  I never really practice and not worried about score.  I was kind of embarrassed thinking what the people on the sides of me was thinking.  If they looked at me though they would be able to see I wasn't shooting at spares or anything.  My camera battery died part why through recording, so I had to use my galaxy S3 for the rest.  I supported it with my bowling bag, and it worked surprisingly well.  I might just do this for future weeks.  So I practiced.  Still need to review all the video.  So A for the Week here :)

Overall I felt pretty good about this week.  I did get on the scale on Wednesday and saw I lost a few pounds, but I decided i will follow the Whole30 books suggestion and not weight myself or do measurements till the end.  So I will probably wait till the end of the challenge.

Tateman, I wish I had your willpower, and ability to self-reason.  I will eventually, but I wish I had it now.  It is good to see you are making such positive strides in your life!

Don't underestimate the power of pictures.  Like you are recording your bowling, take a picture of yourself each week to track your progress.  I bet you'll be amazed at the change in the end, especially with your motivation!  :)