• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman in the Challenge Arena for Round 2, FIGHT!

I've been looking forward to seeing what you'd do this challenge and boy your goals do not disappoint!!  I've got to say your motivation (and story about your 2 year old "Coach") hit close to home.  I've got a 3 yr old daughter and as Dads we always want your kids to be better than we are.  That's why we've got to set these good examples.  Keep it up!!

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tateman!!!

AWESOME First Day! That's so unfair the chicken had sugar after you worked so hard to avoid the cheese. BUT it undermines nothing, and as you said, you'll be reading labels even closer now.

I'm really impressed you are doing the Whole 30 and I'm so excited to follow your journey on it. I'm also thrilled you're rocking 6/7 days exercising and prepping for the Spartan Sprint! WOW! I know you were talking about signing up for one, and it's so cool to see that you have! I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I ALSO know you are totally going to kill it.

Way to go Tateman!! 

I was so annoyed when I was in the supermarket looking at the precooked chicken and finding it had brown sugar in it. I was hoping to rely on it sometimes when cooking was inconvenient. It looks like I will be cooking a lot of whole chickens this month fortunately the free-range woodland chickens are on offer at the moment so it costs me 5 quid instead of nearly 8. 

However you totally rock, just remember there is someone else doing it a long side you, in another part of the world, feel free to message me for support if you want it!

I've been looking forward to seeing what you'd do this challenge and boy your goals do not disappoint!!  I've got to say your motivation (and story about your 2 year old "Coach") hit close to home.  I've got a 3 yr old daughter and as Dads we always want your kids to be better than we are.  That's why we've got to set these good examples.  Keep it up!!

Thanks!  :)  I am trying hard.

Hey Tateman!!!

AWESOME First Day! That's so unfair the chicken had sugar after you worked so hard to avoid the cheese. BUT it undermines nothing, and as you said, you'll be reading labels even closer now.

I'm really impressed you are doing the Whole 30 and I'm so excited to follow your journey on it. I'm also thrilled you're rocking 6/7 days exercising and prepping for the Spartan Sprint! WOW! I know you were talking about signing up for one, and it's so cool to see that you have! I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I ALSO know you are totally going to kill it.

Way to go Tateman!! 

I actually signed up the same day I created the first challenge.  I just am trying to focus closer on what I need to prep for it.  I how after the whole 30, I just eat better.  Then I can add a few more things back in.  

I was so annoyed when I was in the supermarket looking at the precooked chicken and finding it had brown sugar in it. I was hoping to rely on it sometimes when cooking was inconvenient. It looks like I will be cooking a lot of whole chickens this month fortunately the free-range woodland chickens are on offer at the moment so it costs me 5 quid instead of nearly 8. 

However you totally rock, just remember there is someone else doing it a long side you, in another part of the world, feel free to message me for support if you want it!

I just got back from a few stores.  Last challenged made me realize just how much salt is in everything.  This time I see there is sugar in everything!  I checked out some sausage since I know the family it's that, and it woudl be good with sauerkraut.  Nope, sugar added.  Ok, check out some uncured bacon, nope sugar there too still.

So I grabbed some uncooked chicken thighs and breasts.  Grabbed some fish.  Grabbed more veggies.  I figured this weekend I'll try to prep some meals for next week.  That way it will be easier.  If you come across any good ideas, feel free to hit me up too :)

I actually signed up the same day I created the first challenge.  I just am trying to focus closer on what I need to prep for it.  I how after the whole 30, I just eat better.  Then I can add a few more things back in.  

Oh yes! Sorry I was remembering wrong. :) That is so awesome. 

Tateman, sounds like you have been doing your research.  If your interest is high enough to look into it, I'm sure you will do well.  You have some good goals, and I look forward to being supportive if need be, but to otherwise just see your progress, and know it's possible for me to succeed as well.  :)

Tateman, sounds like you have been doing your research.  If your interest is high enough to look into it, I'm sure you will do well.  You have some good goals, and I look forward to being supportive if need be, but to otherwise just see your progress, and know it's possible for me to succeed as well.  :)

Day 2 was ok.

Got some shopping done, so I should be pretty go to go for food these next couple of weeks.  Only got a little over 7000 steps yesterday.  Didn't want to make my blister worse, so I throttled it back.

Breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled with some evoo and onions.

Lunch was late, but I have A chicken thigh, Broccoli, Cauliflower, and carrots all roast in the oven.

Dinner was a chicken breast, sauerkraut, and cauliflower.

So now officially Day 1 of the Whole 30 done ;)

I think this first couple weeks my meals might be a little boring, but I will be using some different spices and such to keep things interesting.  Next payday I might be able to get some different things.

Great challenge goals.  Whole30 can't possibly be as hard as a liquid diet.  Think of all the nummy foods that are paleo.  Gosh, I haven't bowled in 100 years - I didn't keep it up after my husband had to quit (broke his hand in 3 places playing softball).  My coach used to have us practice our swing at home by pitching a nerf football underhand - he said that the spiral on the football was the same motion as getting lift on the bowling ball. 

Great challenge goals.  Whole30 can't possibly be as hard as a liquid diet.  Think of all the nummy foods that are paleo.  Gosh, I haven't bowled in 100 years - I didn't keep it up after my husband had to quit (broke his hand in 3 places playing softball).  My coach used to have us practice our swing at home by pitching a nerf football underhand - he said that the spiral on the football was the same motion as getting lift on the bowling ball. 

Yeah, I can't imagine doing a pure liquid diet for 4 months.  This is the "Medical Weight Management Program" http://www.kphealthyweight.com/phases.cfm   I get how it could be beneficial for some to quickly drop weight.  The first time I looked into it I saw people saying they drop 40-80lbs in the first phase of the program.  It isn't covered by medical insurance, and when I looked it up a few years ago, it was like $5000 to participate.

So here is the really crappy part.  As last challenge was ending, I was looking into food goals for this challenge.  I wanted to hear what my doctors perspective was on the whole 30, or eating paleo, and also intermittent fasting.  I also had other question about lasik, or even when to do my next round of bloodwork.  Her response was a cut-n-paste:

You may want to consider this for weight loss:

Medical Weight Management Program

This fee-based program uses a low-calorie meal replacement diet, medical monitoring, and weekly group sessions lasting a minimum of 30 weeks to help you make positive life-long changes that can improve your overall health. While using the meal replacement as a tool, this program will focus on nutrition, physical activity education, and most importantly on behavior change and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle forever. The program is located in Fremont, Manteca, Oakland, Pleasanton, Sacramento, San Jose. For more information or to sign-up for a free, one hour information session, please call 1 (866) 454-3480 or visit us on-line at www.kphealthyweight.com. This program is provided on a fee-for-service basis. It is not covered by your Health Plan benefits and you are responsible for paying for it.

No other response to any of my questions.  This is probably the 4th or 5th time she has "recommended" this program to me.  It makes me think she must get some kind of kick back from it.  Either way, this really really made me angry.  So the last two weeks before the challenge I was really stuck on what to do.  Eventually, I just settled down and read the Whole 30 book and figured it was worth a try.  Drinking a shake for 4 months isn't going to help me learn how to eat and be healthy.   if I learn to eat properly, and live healthier, then I'll end up losing the weight and be healthier from what I learned.  So that is my rant on that ;)

For bowling, I am not sure if that is what they try to teach now or not.  The underhand spiral is what I was taught to try to mimic.

Great job with the Whole 30 for day 2. I don't know if you've seen it but there is a group of us doing the Walk to Mordor Challenge. I have a sheet for just myself and do my entries on both. Here's the link to the thread if you are interested.  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/25654-one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor/page-13#entry634057

Oh nice, I will see about posting over there too :)

*Doctor Rant*  My doctor told me I wasn't "that" heavy, and not to worry about my cholesterol because once it got over 200 I could just start on drugs!  I just had my physical and everyone, including the doctor, said how great I'm looking.  Eating real food and adding some strength training were great decisions (and yes, my doctor advised cardio rather than strength training).  Even if you lose more slowly, I'm sure it will be more healthy.  The great thing about real food is that after a while, you taste something that you used to eat, and now it tastes like plastic and chemicals.  And fruit...oh, peaches and pears and plums...they taste so good now.  Who needs a donut? 

Oh wow. What a terrible thing for your doctor to do... I wonder if it's not just about kickbacks but also about liability? I know with the WMP you are heavily monitored (weekly check-ins where a doctor checks your vitals, etc.). My problem with the program (I know someone currently participating) is that it's not teaching him to change his eating habits. It's a very extreme change. He will not be on this program forever, and while it's supposed to help transition participants back to eating real food and making good decisions, I can't imagine it's truly going to teach him to cook for himself, to go to restaurants less often, make the lifestyle changes necessary for longterm weight management, etc. I'm impressed to his dedication to it (I mean, the stuff smells disgusting) especially because he's had a rough time sticking to other meeting-guided programs in the past. And this is not to bash the program entirely. It's working, and this gentleman is in his 70s, is not active, has a heart condition, and is severely overweight. It's working for him. I'm just worried what will happen once he's off the liquid portion of the program. 

But I'm so impressed Tateman, because you are doing it exactly right. You are seeking out your own information and determining a SUSTAINABLE plan for yourself eating real food, as humans were meant to consume. 

Also, re: your blister, have you ever used the blister blockers from Bandaid? As a girl in the city who too frequently wears ill-fitting high heels out on the town, I can't recommend them enough. 

Edit: Sorry for the rant. I didn't realize how much I just brain dumped!!!

Edited by AgentKatia

Oh man, sorry to hear about your doctor. I have no idea what my doctor would say, but always seem rude when issues are weight come up they talk about. I know when I'd spent over half a tear not being able to move much with my break and this nurse took my weight and stuff for my pre-op and she was like like "Well your over and you need to start cutting back."

I am sorry you had a bad experience but you can show your doctor who knows best when you rock up with weight loss and tell her all about what you did. You kick ass!

*Doctor Rant*  My doctor told me I wasn't "that" heavy, and not to worry about my cholesterol because once it got over 200 I could just start on drugs!  I just had my physical and everyone, including the doctor, said how great I'm looking.  Eating real food and adding some strength training were great decisions (and yes, my doctor advised cardio rather than strength training).  Even if you lose more slowly, I'm sure it will be more healthy.  The great thing about real food is that after a while, you taste something that you used to eat, and now it tastes like plastic and chemicals.  And fruit...oh, peaches and pears and plums...they taste so good now.  Who needs a donut? 

That is some of what I hope happens in all this.  I know in just a limited time things can taste nasty that you use to think were great.  A long while back I really loved eating sunflower seeds.  Suck off the salt, crack the shell, eat the seed.  Can do with all without using my hands ;)  I don't remember why, but I tried not salting things for a couple of weeks.  Found a low sodium sunflower to eat for awhile.  I wasn't noticing much difference that I could tell until I had some regular seeds again.  I could not believe how much salt I tasted in that.

I can only imagine how processed foods might taste later on.  I'm sure I'd still like the evil sweet stuff.

Oh wow. What a terrible thing for your doctor to do... I wonder if it's not just about kickbacks but also about liability? I know with the WMP you are heavily monitored (weekly check-ins where a doctor checks your vitals, etc.). My problem with the program (I know someone currently participating) is that it's not teaching him to change his eating habits. It's a very extreme change. He will not be on this program forever, and while it's supposed to help transition participants back to eating real food and making good decisions, I can't imagine it's truly going to teach him to cook for himself, to go to restaurants less often, make the lifestyle changes necessary for longterm weight management, etc. I'm impressed to his dedication to it (I mean, the stuff smells disgusting) especially because he's had a rough time sticking to other meeting-guided programs in the past. And this is not to bash the program entirely. It's working, and this gentleman is in his 70s, is not active, has a heart condition, and is severely overweight. It's working for him. I'm just worried what will happen once he's off the liquid portion of the program. 

But I'm so impressed Tateman, because you are doing it exactly right. You are seeking out your own information and determining a SUSTAINABLE plan for yourself eating real food, as humans were meant to consume. 

Also, re: your blister, have you ever used the blister blockers from Bandaid? As a girl in the city who too frequently wears ill-fitting high heels out on the town, I can't recommend them enough. 

Edit: Sorry for the rant. I didn't realize how much I just brain dumped!!!

Well, I tried to think long and hard about this program.  Even after getting so angry.  The idea seems ok.  You drink shakes, you lose a lot of weight (great for someone like me who is really obese), then you get reintroduced to foods.  I almost think I could do it.  The problem is I can't imagine being a month into shake drinking, and then being around people eating pizza, or steak, or any other food.  It seems like torture.  Something that might send you to immediate binge eating.  Plus, what is it do they teach you in the next section?  Why can it start with the teaching and proper way to buy and cook food?  When reading on the website, it just reminded me of a bad sales pitch for stuff.  Many of our clients still use out "insert brand" shakes for meal replacements!  Hmm, No thanks.  I would rather eat real food.

I had no idea they had bandaid brand stuff for blisters.  I'll be checking that out. :)

Oh man, sorry to hear about your doctor. I have no idea what my doctor would say, but always seem rude when issues are weight come up they talk about. I know when I'd spent over half a tear not being able to move much with my break and this nurse took my weight and stuff for my pre-op and she was like like "Well your over and you need to start cutting back."

I am sorry you had a bad experience but you can show your doctor who knows best when you rock up with weight loss and tell her all about what you did. You kick ass!

My doctor has been ok in the past.  When I first started seeing her, she was excited to hear about me wanting to exercise and change my eating habits.  She cautioned me about running since it might be too much stress on my body.  I am just really disappointed she didn't care at all about anything I had asked.  I even talked about how I am doing these challenges and such.  So I was actually working out now ;)

Maybe I'll just look for another doctor.  Either way, she just added fuel to my fire ;)

Food wise I have done good.  I have not done good on my walking or workout today.  1hr and 20mins left of the day.

Just totally not motivated today. :(  Had lots of stuff to get done.  Got That stuff pretty much worked out, but spent all day saying I need to work out.  Wife comes home and starts with the guilt trip about watching a show with her.  So of course that turns into 3 or 4 shows.  So here I sit.

I won't get much more in for steps today, but what the hell.  Time to head outside and get my workout done.  I can tell you the soreness is back from taking the time off in the challenges.  Ok, no more. Sending this reply now, and heading out.

Ok, workout done :)  I walked a little more while I was out there, but I am just going to have to make it up in the coming days

Food wise today I had fried eggs for breakfast, and a apple.  Lunch was Roasted Swai fish with broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix.  Then dinner was a roasted chicken thigh with roasted veggie mix again.  Also added some Sauerkraut. 

No snacking.  I seem to be doing ok on that front.  We will see if it gets harder if more junk food comes in the house.  I think I am ok though.  I am tempted to have fish for breakfast tomorrow.  Maybe I will try a pan sear style.  haven't done it before :)  I might also attempt to make clarified butter.  Hmm, might have to make salad dressing too so I can have some salad.  I guess I'll have to see what mood strikes me tomorrow ;)

Love the story about you outrunning everyone! So inspirational :) :)

Now that's dedication. You wanted it and you worked for it and you got it. 

Also, you made me want to go bowling. I think it's been a couple years... Maybe I'll do that for my birthday :D

y'know what Tate, you should just guilt trip her back about making you sit on your butt instead of getting healthy! 80P

Great to see you got it in anyway.

I could be wrong, but is the clarified butter actually within the Whole 30 paramters? It can be a bit confusing out there because people keep using things that aren't strictly Paleo/Primal in recipes and calling it "Paleo". I mean things like Rice Wine, or even just regular Rice, forms of butter or even cheese, and the sadly non-Paleo Bacon (because of the stuff used in the curing process). It's tough to keep everything straight at times, especially if you're aiming at 100% in.

Great goals, and very well organized! Even if they seem like tough goals, I'm sure you can take them on if you stay on them like this! :) good job. I think you are pushing yourself a lot more than I am, good luck!

Thanks, I am trying.  The walking one seems like it is going to be rough this week.  I just have to try to do some catch up is all :)

Love the story about you outrunning everyone! So inspirational :) :)

Now that's dedication. You wanted it and you worked for it and you got it. 

Also, you made me want to go bowling. I think it's been a couple years... Maybe I'll do that for my birthday :D

It's fun :)  I had quit bowling when I was like 22 or so.  Didn't get back into it until 10 or 11 years later.  

y'know what Tate, you should just guilt trip her back about making you sit on your butt instead of getting healthy! 80P

Great to see you got it in anyway.

I could be wrong, but is the clarified butter actually within the Whole 30 paramters? It can be a bit confusing out there because people keep using things that aren't strictly Paleo/Primal in recipes and calling it "Paleo". I mean things like Rice Wine, or even just regular Rice, forms of butter or even cheese, and the sadly non-Paleo Bacon (because of the stuff used in the curing process). It's tough to keep everything straight at times, especially if you're aiming at 100% in.

I sort of do sometimes ;)

Clarified butter and Ghee or whole 30 approved.  I think the first variation on the whole 30 it wasn't.  It's in the book though, and found info on the website.  The process of clarifying the butter removes the dairy from it.  There have been a lot of things I looked at in the store thinking Oh this is meat, should be ok.  Then I see sugar in one or more forms in them.

Looks like you're doing great on the food.  Nice job squeezing in the workout.  Looks like you might want to plan your workout for a little earlier in the day. 

Yeah, I usually try to get them done before noon.  Otherwise, it seems to drag out.  So it's not my wife's fault completely I did it so late.  I just got busy doing other things.  I bought a Voltron off ebay for my son, and part of it was broken that wasn't listed.  So I was dealing with that.  Then my 14 year old is enrolled in the k12 home school program, and all his books and computer got delivered yesterday.  So I was setting all that up instead of getting my workout done.

I think I really need to come up with some things to make this weekend so I can have a quicker lunch made too.  Starting to look up slow cooker recipes too to add in the mix.  The whole 30 book has a 10 minute chili I might have to try soon :)

Fish for breakfast yay. Let us know how your slow cooked chilli turns out. You could maybe get some pork shoulder and slow cook some carnitas. OK...steamed fish and brocolli, yep I think I am hungry.

Sorry to hear that your workout ended up being so late but good on you for getting it done! Is your wife otherwise being very supportive? I agree with RogueWilkin that you should tell her that you need to do your workout before evening relaxation time.

Yeah, she is supportive of what I do.  She just isn't follow how I am eating.  She is following a weight waters routine for herself and a couple of people at her work.  I'm hoping to start incorporating meals that we can all take part in soon.  Chili, or some pulled pork might be those :)  I am tempted to try to my my own vegetable beef stew as well.  Yesterday, I put myself in the position of not doing my workout earlier.  Really I blame myself.  That is what I get for putting it off ;)