• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman in the Challenge Arena for Round 2, FIGHT!

Looks like you are doing great so far Tateman!  Unfortunately, sometimes doctors aren't any more informed about nutrition than the average layperson.  The average hospital "cardiac" diet or "diabetic diet" isn't really all chock-full of nutrition.  It's usually low fat cookies or sugar free pudding.  Keep doing what you are doing and I'm sure your doctor will come around :)

You might be right about your doctor, I always feel super rushed when I go in to see mine because of the 10 minute. I hope you have a better time next time you go I hope you can get the work done towards the end to see how it has changed after The Whole 30! I still can't believe when you discuss making healthy choices she tried to push you onto the shake diet, Do they get some endorsement for getting people on it? Hopefully she has changed her tune next time!  

Looks like your 2nd week is going just as awesome as your first. You are an inspiration Tateman! Keep up the great work. :)

Just rockin' and rollin', Tateman.  I used to bowl in a team when I was a kid and won some awards.  Not like... participant trophies either.  Idk how pro- bowlers can just hook the ball that damn much.  It looks like they're going to rocket the ball into the gutter and then BAM strike.

when I was detoxing, I had a loooooot of plain meatloaf my friend. keep it going

I have a few things from when I was a kid too.  Use to bowl in state tournaments and things.  I think I bowled like a 140 average before I quit.  Thinking back to having fun as a kid it what brought me back into bowling.  We decided on a whim on year to have a bowling birthday party for my kid.  After that, I decided it was time to get back in :)

Excellent work on the snacking.  It will be interesting to see how the eating changes reflect in your blood work.

Me too, I am really curios.  She said she has no problem waiting to do bloodwork.  So I think I will go that last weekend of the challenge So I can get all the numbers in for my final report.

I think I can speak for most the those following your post when I say, We're not surprised at your progress.  You rocked your first challenge and stepped it up for challenge #2.  Keep up the momentum.  

:)  Thanks.  I think once I really get my walking mixed in better, I will feel like I am really kicking butt.  Right now I just feel like I am doing well, but now awesome yet.  haha

Crushing it as usual Tateman.  

I love the chili with taco salad idea, I always just eat my chilli on it's own.  Now I'm gonna go taco stylie!! 

Yay! :)

Thank you.  Taco style, it's not bad :)  I missed having flour tacos, but I can deal with it.

Looks like you are doing great so far Tateman!  Unfortunately, sometimes doctors aren't any more informed about nutrition than the average layperson.  The average hospital "cardiac" diet or "diabetic diet" isn't really all chock-full of nutrition.  It's usually low fat cookies or sugar free pudding.  Keep doing what you are doing and I'm sure your doctor will come around :)

Yeah, I had thought to ask some of my diet questions to the diabetic doctor I had seen for a bit.  I was just hoping my regular doctor could have weighed in on the issues a bit.  I was going to switch doctors, but now I feel like I want to prove it to her.  So next time I have an actual appointment, I can go in there and tell her how I did it all.  It's didn't happen from a magic shake can. ;)

You might be right about your doctor, I always feel super rushed when I go in to see mine because of the 10 minute. I hope you have a better time next time you go I hope you can get the work done towards the end to see how it has changed after The Whole 30! I still can't believe when you discuss making healthy choices she tried to push you onto the shake diet, Do they get some endorsement for getting people on it? Hopefully she has changed her tune next time!  

Yeah, I thought the same about the program.  As much as she has talked about it in the past, I wonder if they get something out of it.  It's not covered with health insurance.  It costs at least $5,000 dollars (US)   That was a couple of years ago when I really considered it.

Looks like your 2nd week is going just as awesome as your first. You are an inspiration Tateman! Keep up the great work. :)

Sometimes I sit here and think that there is no way I could be inspiring to people.  I see so many people doing awesome things, and just think I am at the tip of that.  Maybe we all inspire each other :)  Or maybe it is really how bad I must see myself that I can't believe people would be inspired by what I am doing.  I honestly think it is so cool when people say that too me.  :)  Thanks a ton.

Killin' it, Tateman! Keep up the awesome! 

Thanks, I am going to try. I am glad to see you are getting back into it too.

I really want to thank everyone here.  Just looking through my thread and seeing the support and kind words from everyone has such a big smile on my face.  I am so glad I found this place.  I think if I wouldn't have signed up for that first challenge, I probably would have given up by now.

For this morning, I got my workout in before breakfast.  Picked a few tomatoes from my garden, then made some breakfast.  I have been on a fried egg kick lately, but today wanted to mix it up a bit.  I took out a hamburger patty and started to fry it up.  I broke it up so basically it was just ground hamburger meat.  I added in a egg, and some seasoning.  Then tossed in some salsa.  Then I also cut up one of my other tomatoes I previously picked.  I ate that separate.  Just slices.  Ohh man I LOVE home grown tomatoes.  My Great Grandmother use to grow the best and biggest tomatoes.  I'd eat them like apples.  We would go and visit and I would eat so many I would get acid burn on my lips :)

We have an electronic waste disposal this weekend, so I have been digging though all my boxes of old electronics to get rid of.  Later on tonight, it is bowling time.

Hey Tate, any suggestions for a budding gardener such as myself (and my wife) for actually planting and taking care of tomato plants?  We're down here in Texas and we tried to do it at our rental house but it died it the heat and birds picked off what was growing :(

I'd love to be able to grow our own garden, that would be so awesome.  Anyway, looks like you're doing great, let us know how you bowl tonight!

Hey Tate, any suggestions for a budding gardener such as myself (and my wife) for actually planting and taking care of tomato plants?  We're down here in Texas and we tried to do it at our rental house but it died it the heat and birds picked off what was growing :(

I'd love to be able to grow our own garden, that would be so awesome.  Anyway, looks like you're doing great, let us know how you bowl tonight!

I haven't had problems with birds.  I thought I would, but I haven't seen them attacking my stuff.  A friend up mine made a cage around his raised garden bed.  PVC pipe, and chicken wire.  I was thinking of doing that to mine too, but in the end I just ditched it.  Tomatoes do love the heat, and plenty of sunlight.  I bought a soaker hose this year that I weaved all around my bed this year.  I make sure to only water in the morning.  If you water the leaves, they coudl get messed up from the sunlight during the day.  I think I may have watered too much since my watermelons are not riping up like I thought.

Before I grew tomatoes in buckets.  They didn't get as big as they should have mostly because it wasn't enough sunlight.

Hey BlamedCat, if you hang up reflective things dangled around the plants  on canes or string or something, like old CDs are a common one to use, birds get frightened of their own reflection. Other people use small windmills and other things that move in the wind as they can startle them also. You can also get plastic netting that is usually pretty affordable and durable. If it is at the stage where they are just seedling they are pecking them you can always start them of indoors on a sunny windowsill.

Thanks for the advice!  I'll get with my wife and loo into it and show her your suggestions as well :)  Maybe we can work something out and I'll be able to update everyone on my thread about it lol.

Hey Tateman! It will be so interesting to see the results of your blood work at the end of this challenge. 

Also, you inspire me ALL the time, so count me among your fans ;) Also, I'm envious of your green thumb... mine are both pretty black.

Your burger and egg breakfast sounds delicious! Very creative :)

Hey Tateman! It will be so interesting to see the results of your blood work at the end of this challenge. 

Also, you inspire me ALL the time, so count me among your fans ;) Also, I'm envious of your green thumb... mine are both pretty black.

Your burger and egg breakfast sounds delicious! Very creative :)

Thanks.  I work to someday be as great as you with pushups and pull ups :)

On the food front, I have my chili in the slow cooker :)

Basically went with this:

4 tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, diced (Red)

1 large onion, diced (yellow)

4 cloves of garlic, minced (about 4tsp)

2 large red peppers, diced

4 tbsp chili powder

3 tbsp onion powder

3 tbsp garlic powder

2 tbsp ground cumin

2 cans tomato paste

Cayenne pepper to taste

1 tbsp Black pepper

1 tbsp Salt

1 cup of water

1 tbsp of thyme

Sweet potatoes cubed (I used a frozen bag of pre cut sweet potatoes)

2 tomatoes cubed up

Browned up the meat with some of the spices and olive oil.  Also the onions and red pepper.  Added that into the pot with the tomato paste, Then cut up the tomatoes to add in.  Also put in the rest of the spices and the sweet potatoes.  It smells good, and looks pretty good.  It just needs to cook for a few hours and we will see how it tastes.  I bet even better tomorrow. :)

Nom nom nom, sounds really good! I have some mince in the freezer so probably going to make something like that next week! Can't believe it is almost week 3!

Got my last workout in late Saturday, but got it done :)  Decided to see how long I can plank now.  Regular routine on this workout is 3 reps of 30 seconds.  First one I held to 45 seconds.  A little progress :)

Unfortunately, I just haven't been getting in the walking like I need to.  No real excuse really.  I have been busy cleaning out things here.  Seems like it will be the hardest to reel in for me this challenge.

No snacking going good.  Almost gave in when cutting up some fruit today.  I did get a couple of pieces of cantaloupe, but I ate it right before my dinner ;)

The chili was pretty good.  I think the heat level is too much for my wife to handle.  I think it is fine, and not really that hot.  The sweet potatoes were ok in it.  They just started to get mushy, which I full expected.  Next time I make some, I might just oven roast some sweet potato fries or something and pour it over them.

We are going to roast a chicken in the slow cooker tomorrow with some veggies.  I imagine I will be eating some of both all this coming week :)

You're an inspiration to a lot of us, :)

The chili looks good and chili fries are awesome! I hadn't thought of adding sweet potato to chili but I add just about every other veggie under the sun, I will have to try this.

i use a chicken in the crockpot with veggies and then when it's done; I pull it apart and throw it back in the crockpot and make a chicken soup.  There's a surprising amount of meat on a regular chicken.

i use a chicken in the crockpot with veggies and then when it's done; I pull it apart and throw it back in the crockpot and make a chicken soup.  There's a surprising amount of meat on a regular chicken.

I do the same thing.  It makes the best soup ever.

The slow cooker is one of the best kitchen appliances. I don't know why I waited this long to ever use one. :)

Also, that chili looks good! I made a Ethiopian chili and put sweet potatoes in it as well but I roasted mine then added them when the chili was almost done. They didn't get mushy. 

You're an inspiration to a lot of us, :)

The chili looks good and chili fries are awesome! I hadn't thought of adding sweet potato to chili but I add just about every other veggie under the sun, I will have to try this.

Thanks :)  I think it is worth trying for sure :)  My first chili I made, and I thought it turned out well.  Next time I will try to make some less spicy so my wife can enjoy it too.

I heard a lot of people do this.  There was lots left.  I had scooped out the veggies last night, and there was lots of chicken still mixed in with them.  It was almost like a soup already ;)

I do the same thing.  It makes the best soup ever.

I was thinking of trying to make some soups too.  I kept the chicken bones to try to make a broth with later.

I fully endorse, stuff + roast sweet potato = awesome. That chilli looks amazing, better eat something I think I'm hungry!

I need to get more sweet potatoes for roasting too.  :)

The slow cooker is one of the best kitchen appliances. I don't know why I waited this long to ever use one. :)

Also, that chili looks good! I made a Ethiopian chili and put sweet potatoes in it as well but I roasted mine then added them when the chili was almost done. They didn't get mushy. 

Yeah, I was tempted to try roasting the cubes before puttign them in.  I figured I would try it this way first, then work on ideas for next time :)

Week 2 summary:

1)  Do The Whole 30 plan.

Still on track here.  Doing pretty good I think.  This week I think I am starting to get my energy back.  At least that I don't feel like I need to nap :)  Today is Day 14 for me since I started 1 day later.  Nearly half way there. :)  Being on this program I have actually been cooking a lot for myself.  So more then just eating, I am actually doing things.  Made a whole 30 chili and chicken roast in the slow cooker this weekend.  So I say a A this week.

2)  No snacking!

A for this week.  I have been tempted a few times.  Even with just thinking I would grab some fruit or something.  I have resisted :)

3)  Exercise to be done 6 out of the 7 days.  (Workout 3x, 60k weekly steps)

Work outs yes, added walking is a no still.  So I have to give myself a C this week.  My son just started school (k12 online) and he has to do some activity for the day.  So I am going to make him go for a walk each day with me and his brother.  So at least I will start getting that in.  I really need to just get a pattern down for myself to follow.

4)  Be a better Bowler

Going with the F here this week :(  Not so much for lack of trying.  I went to the bowling alley and they were going to have a tournament running, so I couldn't get lanes.  I came back later, and the place was so packed I couldn't get lanes again.  I was tempted to try to drive out a bit to another bowling alley, but would probably have to pay a lot per game since I wasn't a league bowler there.  At least I know the tournament is going on next Sunday too, so this might also happen next weekend.  I am going to try to get my practice in on Saturday after the youth bowling is over.

Overall grade for the week is a C I guess.  Not too great.

This coming week shall be better!  I need to refocus, and get down to it.

Good job this week, since you put forth so much effort I'd hate to see you label yourself with an F for #4 there, maybe at least a D, or a C-, or a Participant Ribbon or something 80P.  Good luck with getting the walking in, I randomly cut out the walking that I had been doing the last challenge this time, so I hope to start sneaking it back in, maybe this week...we'll see.

Yeah, I thought about giving myself a little break on the life goal, but it's ok.  Some of the things I can try to practice at home with a mirror.  So I might try to add that in a little as well, so worse comes to worse at least I had some practice in on the week.

Wow you are doing so well!! Good idea to take your sons walking, that's a win for them as we'll as you :)

Congrats on getting halfway through the Whole30, stay strong!