Tateman in the Challenge Arena for Round 2, FIGHT!

Tateman

Week 3 Summary:

Overall this week was ok.  I feel great that I have been able to stick with the Whole 30 still.  No snacking.  I am getting in my workouts even though I had pushed them off an extra day.  I still am not getting in the walking that I want too, but I am trying to get it going.  I even ran a few sprints last night.  I just felt like running after my workout was done.  It was weird, but I went for it anyway.  I just went out front and did some short little sprints.  Want to see if I could feel like I could run full speed without falling on my face.  So that felt pretty decent.

this weekend we had some family come into town and went to some vintage baseball.  vintagebaseball.com  Only stayed for a little bit since my 2 year old was super crabby.  Still had a good time.  But of course with this going on, I didn't get my bowling practice in.

1)  Do The Whole 30 plan.

A on this.  Was able eat prepared food from the weekend which was great.  Also just cooked a few things.  Tried sauteing some veggies this week, and they were ok.  Didn't get in my slow cooker cooking this weekend, but bought stuff to make some soup.  So I'll do that in the next couple of days.

2)  No snacking!

Felt really close to breaking this a couple of times this week, but I stuck to it.  No snacking. A for me. 

3)  Exercise to be done 6 out of the 7 days.  (Workout 3x, 60k weekly steps)

Struggled here.  Even pushed my workouts out extra days.  Ended up getting the workouts done, but again, no where close on the steps I wanted.  I did go walk a little this week though, and even ran some.  So not a total fail.  I just need to push to getting this in.  Going with a C here.

4)  Be a better Bowler

And a fail here :(  Went with the family to a vintage baseball world series tournament and completely forgot about the bowling practice until it was too late.  they did have tournaments too at the bowling alley, but I should have tried to make the effort anyway.  F

Three outta four isn't bad!  You're doing great on the food front and that's the main thing ya know?

As far as bowling, pick up and get moving to do it this week :)  Still cool that you got to go to a cool baseball event like that :)

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

I will be officially skipping one of my workouts this week.  Well, I shouldn't say skip.  More like replacing it.  I just signed up for this:

http://www.spartanraceworkout.com/locations/08-25-13-san-francisco-ca.html at 8:30am to 10:30am

The Spartan Race Fitness Team, founders of Spartan Race, the Death Race and Spartan Group X Training will lead you through the workout of a lifetime.

The Spartan Race Fitness Team is focused on BUILDING BETTER HUMANS by developing:
    • Stamina - the ability to endure
    • Power - strength and speed
    • Athleticism - complete integrated functional fitness, using the body in a way that it was intended to move
    • Readiness - take on any challenge, any time!
    • Tenacity - mental
    • Attitude - a positive disposition even in the face of adversity

Register for the workout below. Event is free, and not only will you get a great workout, you'll get a cool "I'm Training for a Spartan Race" t-shirt too.

My sister will be in town this week, but doesn't feel like she is ready for this workout yet.  I'll see if any facebook friends might want to go :)

I will be officially skipping one of my workouts this week.  Well, I shouldn't say skip.  More like replacing it.  I just signed up for this:

http://www.spartanraceworkout.com/locations/08-25-13-san-francisco-ca.html at 8:30am to 10:30am

My sister will be in town this week, but doesn't feel like she is ready for this workout yet.  I'll see if any facebook friends might want to go :)

Yeah, tateman!!! Another successful week on the food/snack front and also signing up for a Spartan Workout! You kick ass :) I am excited to hear your report about the work out. Keep up the awesome job!

Hey, maybe you should start studying bowling articles or watch videos, that would be a part of practicing to improve 80P. Good luck on the Sprint, let us know how it goes!

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Warning very long and sad stuff ahead:

Today, is a rough day for me.  Three years ago today I lost my mother to cancer.  She had just turned 56 in June.  She was able to be on the phone with my sister as my nephew was born 4 days earlier.  She was never able to meet him, or my sister's newly born son, or my 2 year old.  She did however have my first born to spoil.  We lived with my Mom for awhile, so my son got his be with his Mamaw every day.

I still feel so much anger for the things that were robbed of my mom to be able to experience.  My mom was probably one of the strongest people I ever knew.  She had gone through so much in life, and fought for everything.

In June of 2010 we had gone on a cruise and taken my Mother along.  We could tell something was wrong, but everyone just thought it must just be her getting older or something.  Doctors couldn't tell what was happening.  They thought maybe she had kidney stones, and diabetes.  Some of the pictures I took on the cruise, my Mom looks pretty sick.  I think this was probably the last good picture I took.

mom.jpg

It was our last day of the cruise, so I took a picture from across the room into the mirrored wall.  It was a pretty good trip.  My Mom had never been on anything like that before.  About 2 weeks after the trip, my brother took her to the emergency room where they found out she had cancer.  Turns out, it was stage 4 kidney cancer.  It was very aggressive.  It had already started spreading to her liver and lungs.  The tumor on her kidney was about the size of a football.  Two months later she died.  I remember being so positive for Mom.  I just knew she would be able to fight through it all.  She had gone in for surgery to remove the tumor to at least try and ease any pain she had felt.  She never left that hospital.  The doctors told me after the surgery that they almost lost her like 6 times.  There was so much cancer every place that they didn't even see on the imaging systems.  It was then I know that it was the last hope.  There was nothing more that could be done.  Yet I still tried to believe things would turn around for her.

I told her they were going to write medical book about her and her recovery.  I never told her what the doctors were telling me.  I couldn't break her spirit.  She was afraid to fight.  But she wasn't to do it for her future grandkids.  No one was really telling my mother anything much.  it was always about trying to get her home.  If they can get the fluid in her lungs under control, she could go home.  Hospice stopped by to talk about caring services.  I remember after the lady left, my mom said "Hospice huh.  I guess that's it then"

I think it was the next day was the last day I got to spend with her.  The last thing I said was I love you to her and kissed her on the head before leaving for the night.  

The next day my brother got a call that things were "bad" and we should try to get in there asap.  I was like WTF does bad mean.  My brother was a wreak.  I've always been the one that can sort of push the emotions aside a bit and get shit done.  So I figured I would drive.  We were staying about 20 minutes away.  In Los Angeles that isn't very far, but traffic can make it bad.  On the way there my brother got the call that my Mom suffered a heart attack.  I don't know how I didn't crash us.  I was driving really fast.  Trying to remain calm.

When we got there, she was on all the machines, but she was already gone.  She was on long enough so we could get there.  Eventually, we had them take her off life support.  My brother couldn't  be there to see it, so he went for a walk for a few minutes.  I stayed there with her and held her hand as she took her last few gasps of air.  To the very end I think she was still fighting.

My brother came back for a bit, and they left us there for a little bit.  I made calls to people I needed too, and we talked about all the good stuff Mom had done for us.  Later the nurses thanks us for talking to us about her and letting them be a part of that.  They said she must have been a great woman to have her kids sing her praises so much.

We were able to donate her eyes to someone in need.  So I hope that there is someone out there that can see now thanks to Mom.

I sent texts to my sister and brother this morning.  I have a voicemail Mom left me when I was traveling back and forth while she was sick.  I'll probably listen to that a couple of times, and watch a few videos.  I miss her.

I hope that her spirit is out there looking over us.  I am trying to make her proud.  Today will be hard, but I'll not dwell on her death, and try to more remember all the good stuff we did.

I'll still make sure to stick to my goals.  No emotional eating to mess up my challenge.  It might be hard to get my workout in, but it will be done.

Tate, thank you for sharing.  I'll be lifting you and your family up on prayer today.  You're doing great, just stick with it and work through things as they come.  I'm proud of you, man! <brofist>

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

YES!!!! You are really doing awesome! :) :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Oh Tate! ((((hugs)))) I can only imagine how you are feeling :( I think you are strong and brave and amazing for not letting your emotions grt the better of you, no food can bring her back, but you can let her live through your example to your kids, and you are doing that extremely well. I hope you watch the videos with them and they see how amazing your mom was when they see how you live. Hugs!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Oh Tate! ((((hugs)))) I can only imagine how you are feeling :( I think you are strong and brave and amazing for not letting your emotions grt the better of you, no food can bring her back, but you can let her live through your example to your kids, and you are doing that extremely well. I hope you watch the videos with them and they see how amazing your mom was when they see how you live. Hugs!

+1 all the way

Tate- my heart goes out to you and your family on this day. You are a strong man for deciding to power through all the emotions with a will of steel. I think it's great that you are doing it because it would make your mom proud. There is no doubt that she would be more than proud to see what you are doing and how much butt you are kicking every day. 

:virtual hugs:

Tateman, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I will definitely be keeping your family in my prayers.  I think you've got the right idea, celebrate the Life not the death. I know your Mom is proud of all you've accomplished.  

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Thanks everyone.  I did ok yesterday.  Didn't workout, so I will do that today.  Didn't really do much of anything.  Only .78 miles says fitbit.  That's ok though.  Did good eating and no snacking.  Had a couple of times were I felt liek I just wanted to eat some pretzels or have some ice cream.  They weren't very strong cravings, so pure emotional time cravings I suppose.  Not as bad as I thought they would be.

Tonight I think we will be making some spaghetti.  Going to do a whole 30 spaghetti sauce and spaghetti squash.

Sorry to hear about the experience Man of Tate, I can only imagine how proud she'd be at what you're doing here. 

I wasn't really aware of the Spartan "Workouts", maybe I'll check that out and see if there's one that's local to me before the Sprint. Good luck with it either way!

4.44%
4.44%

Thanks Rogue.

I wasn't aware of any either, so they might have just started them up.  Free, and you get a free shirt too.

2013 Dates and places listed on the spartanraceworkout.com site:

August 24th - Sacramento, Ca

August 25th - San Francisco, Ca

September 7th - Long Beach, MS

September 14th - Bellevue, NE

September 14th - Cambridge, MA

November 9th - Scottsdale, AZ

November 30th - Las Vegas, NV

December 7th - Macon, GA

December 7th - Austin, TX

Training for a Spartan Race? Getting in shape? 
Wondering what obstacle racing is all about?

Get a taste of what it means to be a Spartan at a Spartan Workout!

Register now for a free Spartan Workout in your area to put yourself to the test. This is not your traditional workout. You'll lift, climb, crawl and run with hundreds of fellow Spartans in this fun and challenging workout session. 

Joe De Sena, founder of Spartan Race and members of his team are hitting the road and leading Spartan Workouts across the country. Come out and find your inner Spartan!

A pity, it looks like nothing in my area for the remainder of this year. Additional pity that they've no dates for next year yet. Maybe something'll pop up then, if I remember to check them out.

4.44%
4.44%

Thank you so much for sharing the story about your mom.  I still struggle on the anniversary of my sister's death and its been 7 years.  You are so lucky to be able share this with your siblings; mine don't even talk about my sister and that hurts so much.  I am sure that she is watching and is very proud of the work you're doing to be healthy.  Take care of yourself and your family. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

)))hug(((

((HUGS))

Great job on feeling the emotions and not giving in to the temptation.

Thank you so much for sharing the story about your mom.  I still struggle on the anniversary of my sister's death and its been 7 years.  You are so lucky to be able share this with your siblings; mine don't even talk about my sister and that hurts so much.  I am sure that she is watching and is very proud of the work you're doing to be healthy.  Take care of yourself and your family. 

Thanks all :)  It is pretty tough, but when I am together with my sister and brother we often talk about Mom.  All the little quirky stuff, or how we inherited her hot tempter sometimes :)  I think it makes it much easier to cope with her death when we remember all the good stuff when she was around.  Even if it makes us sad sometimes.

So I was in a bit of a funk this week.  Pushed off my workouts too long.  So today I bucked down and got it done.  Then off to bowling.  Did ok, nothing great.  Came home and heated up some whole30 spaghetti sauce and spaghetti squash.  Had some salad as well.  Then decided it was time for a walk.  Went further this time, and actually was feeling pretty good tonight.  It felt good to get out there and do it.  Over 12000 steps for the day.  I have to remember this feeling I have to push me to get more walking in.

So far food this week has been great.  Still doing good there.  I might give myself a pass on only doing the one workout this week because the Spartan workout might just be that tough.  2 hours of I don't know how hard of a workout.  That alone might be worth a couple of body weight workouts ;)  I doubt I will get my steps in this week too, but I might be able to make it close.  I might be doing a lot of walking at the Spartan even too :)

Overall I feel like I am coming out of the fog of the last couple of days.  I really do appreciate all the people here for giving me support and hugs when I needed it.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines