AverageJoe Outruns his fork

I'm back for my Challenge #2!!  Last challenge I can oh so close to making all my goals but fell just short each time.  From those failures I have learned two things. 1) keep it consistent and 2) have a firm plan.  Consistency? Last challenge I had a strength goal, an endurance goal, diet goal and a personal hobby goal.  All with little to no overlaps for training or benefits.  So this challenge my goals will have a theme, a common ultimate goal.  Plan?  Last challenge I lacked any firm plans on how to reach my goals.  This time I shall detail out what I am to do each week in order to reach my goals.

Challenge Theme: Outrun the Fork!!!

Goal #1: Diet! Diet! Diet!  By week 6 I will be on a 100% paleo diet, specifically each of my 21 meals for the week will be paleo.

The Plan:  Week 1: 6 paleo meals, each week +3 paleo meals with week 6 = 21

Reward: 6 successful weeks = Con +5, 5 weeks +4, 4 weeks +3, etc...

Goal #2: Outrun the fork: Distance! Distance! Distance!  By week 6 be able to run 10K without stopping/walking

The Plan: I found a 10K 8 week training plan. so I'm starting on week 3 (I'll try and provide more details for this coming week in my next post)

Reward: 10K = +5 Sta., 9K = +3, 8K = +1

Goal #3: Outrun the fork: Speed! Speed! Speed! By week 6 be able to run one sub 9 minute mile

The Plan: Take the cross training days from Goal #2 plan and work on leg strength exercises and sprints.

Reward: Sub 8:30 minute = Str: +2 Dex: +3, Sub 9:00 minute = Str +1 Dex: +2, Sub 9:30 Dex:+1

So that's it.  Here's to a Kick Ass challenge!

Welcome back!  I like the way you have this challenge structured.  Simple, clear-cut, and achievable.  Win!  I'm working my way up to full paleo, too, as I think it might help build habits better than just going cold turkey.

Have you read the new challenge rules?  You're basically following them, just with different terminology (i.e. "challenge theme" instead of "main quest").  

Anyway, nice goals, and best of luck!

Actually, I hadn't read the new challenge rules (totally missed them). So happy coincidence that I kinda followed them anyways! As promised here's my training regiment for the week (I'll try to update every day or so to let you know how I did)

Week 1:

Monday: Rest [work on stretches, I'm not fully recovered from my hip problems from last challenge. Also research paleo recipes]

Tuesday: 2.5 mile run

Wednesday: Cross-training [sprints if weather cooperates, squats/lunges/etc. if not]

Thursday: 2 mile run

Friday: Rest [plan following weeks meals/grocery list]

Saturday: 3.5 mile run

Sunday: 30 - 35 minute EZ run (sprint work at end if I'm up to it)

Update time!

Goal 1 is going well so far.  My breakfasts have been full paleo (two scrambled eggs with salsa).  My lunches and dinners have been close but not quite there.  Example: my lunch today consists of homemade mayo-less coleslaw (good :pride:), fresh fruit (good :pride:), Frozen broccoli and canned chicken (too processed to be technically paleo but not terrible).  So far I've had 3/6 full paleo meals this week, which feels pretty good.

Goals 2 & 3 are looking to be rough.  I had my first workout last night (2.5 mile run).  I did it but it was painful (literally).  I took the past two weeks off in hopes of recovering from an injury sustained early on last challenge.  My right hip/leg has been very tight and painful resulting in limited mobility and function.  I got some free physical therapy advice from my cousin earlier this month and have been working on the stretches and exercises she recommended.  They helped a lot but it's not quite enough.  I think I'll have to break down and make an official appointment with a PT if I have any hopes of reaching these goals.  My biggest worry is that they'll tell me to stop running.  

Good for you on your paleo meals!  Sorry to hear your still having pain running :(  I wish I could offer advice, but really I can't.  The only thing I can say is to take it easy, you may need more time to recover.  Which is neither well-educated (just based in experience) nor what you want to hear.  If you can, it probably would be good to see a PT.  At one point, when my arm was acting up, I had to quite playing any instruments for about 3 months, and that was the only way I managed to recover.  But I was able to get back into it, so even if they do tell you to stop, there's still hope.  Good luck!

Well I finally gave in and made an appointment with a PT for my hip problems.  Unfortunately they can't get me in until Aug 15th.  I'm still running though.  I just try and take it easy and I've switched to running on the local high school track instead of on the road.  Having a level, softer surface seemed to help with my run last night but running in a circle over and over again is soooo boring.  I haven't been brave enough to try any speed work yet but hopefully my hip will get to a good enough state that I can later.  

On the positive side of things, goal 1 is going really well.  Five breakfasts of scrambled eggs with either salsa or avocado.  Dinner last night = salad with chicken breast, Lunch today = left over salad, steamed veggies and chicken breast.  So 7/6 paleo meals thus far for the week and I'll probably get a couple more in this weekend.  

Is it Monday already?  Ok, I meant to update y'all this weekend but I swear I blinked and the weekend was over. So as per my last update week 1 went great for my diet goal. Final tally 8/6 paleo meals A+++!!  Running goals: Due to scheduling issues (and poor planning) I missed my workout for saturday and had to shift it to sunday :grumpy: BUT I did finish 3.5 miles and my hip was not too much worse than when I started!  :joyous:.  My hip problems are making me a little gun-shy of speed training so I've been adding extra rest days in place of cross training/speed work outs

Week 2 training schedule will be similar to week 1. Monday: Rest [work on stretches] Tuesday: 2.5 mile run Wednesday: Rest, Thursday: 2 mile run Friday: Rest, Saturday: 3.5 mile run Sunday: 35 minute EZ run

This week will be tough because we're going camping with some friends from thursday to sunday.  There will be 6 families camping and meal duties have been divided among everyone so I figure paleo is unlikely during our trip.  No worries though, week 2 is 9 paleo meals, so if I can get through monday, tuesday and wednesday as FULL Paleo I'm set for the week.  

Good luck with your challenge, week one did go quickly! You seem to be making great progress so go you :)  Have you thought of taking extra meat and beg for yourself on your camping trip and then you have options, I assume you'll probabloy be BBQing or cooking stuff in foil backs in the fire so it won't make much difference?

Good luck with your challenge, week one did go quickly! You seem to be making great progress so go you :)  Have you thought of taking extra meat and beg for yourself on your camping trip and then you have options, I assume you'll probabloy be BBQing or cooking stuff in foil backs in the fire so it won't make much difference?

I did think of that and I plan on making campfire chili from homemade beef jerky (which is currently in my dehydrator).  It won't be 100% paleo, contains beans and beer, but I may try and set aside a bowl without the beans for myself.  Also, I figure if I'm lucky others will be grilling burgers or chicken and I may be able to ration the amount of junk I consume.  

Speaking of Diet goals, yesterday was going well until I realized the steamed veggies I had with my grilled chicken for dinner, had GREEN BEANS (NOT PALEO).  So close but it doesn't count towards my 9 meals this week.  This morning I had my standard scrambled eggs & veggies and packed leftover chicken and veggies (no beans!!) with some fruit for lunch.  So that puts me at 4/9 for the week so far.  I still think I can make it before our trip, but it will be close.

Once you've done paleo awhile you'll get a feel for which foods sabotage you and which don't.  I don't usually sweat the weird things like green beans.

Camping trip sounds fun.  If there's a grill or a campfire, you can eat paleo!  Throw meat and whatever veggies you've got into a foil packet and put on the grill or in the embers of the fire, cook until it smells so good you can't stay away.

Nice work, Joe!  I agree with Knight, I'm okay with eating things like green beans, especially given I don't eat them very often.  Good luck on paleo while camping, and have a good time!  How's your hip doing?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to camping and I'm not too worried about paleo during the trip.  My week 2 goal was 9 paleo meals which I should have before we leave so this weekend will be about discipline, self control and MODERATION of the non-paleo "treats".

As for my hip, it hasn't fallen off yet so that's a plus  :rolleyes-new: .  Seriously though, it's a little more manageable.  Proper stretching before helps me get through the run with little discomfort and I think proper stretching afterward is helping minimize the recovery time.  Although I'm definitely more sore through the morning following a workout.  My PT appointment is at the end of next week so hopefully the second half of this challenge will be improvement instead of maintenance. 

OK, last update before I venture into the wilderness.  In the midst of crazed packing and multiple trips to the store for "oh crap we forgot ____" my wife picked up a frozen pizza, to make it "easier" on us.  I resisted and stuck with my grilled chicken legs!!  As of breakfast this morning I have reached 9/9 paleo for the week!!  I got my 2 mile run in this morning (at 5am)!! 

And finally I stepped on the scales this morning and I'm down to 235lbs (from 240 at the start of this challenge)!

I'm Back!! I survived my camping trip!  My diet and exercise..... not so much.  I ate some junk and missed some work outs but did better than I would have Pre-NF.  We have A LOT of left over Junk food to tempt me this week but I will be strong!!     I Hope.

It's much harder to resist the junk food when it is all there.  You can do it! :)

Thanks for the encouragement.  So far so good this week.  Including the lunch I packed today, I've got 5/12 paleo meals already and I roasted up a huge tray of cauliflower, carrots, parsnips and garlic for side dishes and snacking this week.  Hopefully the weather will clear up so I can get my run in tonight.  The workout schedule for the week is as follows:

Monday: Rest, Tuesday: 3mile run, Wednesday: CT or Rest, Thurdsay: 2.5 miles, Friday: Rest, Saturday: 4 miles, Sunday: 35 to 40 min run.

I'll keep y'all posted.

I'm Back!! I survived my camping trip!  My diet and exercise..... not so much.  I ate some junk and missed some work outs but did better than I would have Pre-NF.  We have A LOT of left over Junk food to tempt me this week but I will be strong!!     I Hope.

Well done Joe, I am sure will kick junk foods ass! Glad you are doing better than you were pre-NF and you will improve one day at a time!