Seleas - Challenge 2 without the fail

Seleas

After failing my initial challenge, I've determined for this challenge I will focus on building a routine. My goals for this challenge shall all be centered around something I can do every day to improve my overall fitness.

Goal 1: Fitness
Perform the adventurer's beginner workout upon waking up. +1 STR +1 CON +1 WIS

A:Every day within an hour of waking.
B:An average of 5 days a week, within 90 minutes of waking.
C:An average of 4 days a week, within 90 minutes of waking.
D:An average of 2 days a week, within 90 minutes of waking.
F:Better not happen, under penalty of losing 3DS privileges for 2 days. (self-punishment)

Goal 2: Fitness
Ride my bike around the neighborhood 3-5 times a week. +1 STR +1 CON +1 STA

A:Ride my bike 30 minutes meeting the average criteria.
B:Ride my bike 20 minutes meeting the average criteria.
C:Ride my bike 20 minutes an average of 2 times a week.
D:Ride my bike one time a week for any amount of time.
F:Loss of 3DS privileges for 2 days.

Goal 3: Fitness/life improvement
Start cooking for myself more. +1 WIS +2 CON

A:Cook dinner for myself 4-5 times a week.
B:Cook dinner for myself 3 times a week.
C:Cook dinner for myself 2 times a week.
D:Cook dinner for myself once a week.
F:Loss of 3DS privileges for 2 days.

Goal 4: Life improvement
College starts in August. I need to start building study habits as soon as I pick up my books. +3 WIS

A:Study 2+ hour a day, every day.
B:Study 1+ hour a day, every day.
C:Study 1+ hour a day, 5 days a week.
D:Study 1+ hour a day, 3 days a week.
F:Loss of 3DS privileges for 4 weeks.

As a new method of trying to meet my goals, I'm imposing a penalty on myself, which will be cumulative for each failed goal. My hope is that I'll be able to keep myself accountable and honest to follow through with my goals. Failing that, honest with myself in meting out my punishment. If I fail my goals, and follow through with my punishment I'm attaching a +1 WIS to the punishment. If I am honest and follow through with the punishment, then this is a learning experience.

Why am I here?

I am here to stop being the fat one of my friends.  I am here to feel better about who I am.  I am here to establish some discipline that has been missing from my lifestyle unto this point.  I am a gamer, and enjoy gaming.  It is who I am.  If I can level up a character in a game, then by gum I can level up my life!

Adventurer level 1

STR: 1 DEX: 2 STA: 4 CON: 3 WIS: 5 CHA: 1

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34205-seleas-challenge-2-without-the-fail/?p=625040%5B/url]

*heard in the helm of a space cruiser* Helmsman, what is that pinging sound?

It's the natives... They're firing arrows at us.

Great goals! I too didn't fair so well with my first challenge and am excited to do well this time around. 

I really like your grade breakdowns, especially since it helps focus your goals. I finished college a couple years ago and studying was something I ended up getting really good at. If you would like some tips or ideas to help you stay on track please let me know. I don't claim to know it all but using things like calendars and a schedule really helped me stay on task and get everything done. I'm not that great but have started cooking most of my meals so if you're looking for quick ideas I've got some to share.

I hope you have a great challenge and I'm sure I'll be checking in again soon.

Level 2 Adventurer

STR:2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 1 

Challenges: #1 , #2 , 

Current Challenge: Back to Basics

Seleas, welcome back! I disagree that you failed your first challenge if you learned something from it. And I believe you did learn a lot since you are back for more :) 

I like your goals and the specificity of when you will do the body weight work-out. How many circuits are you doing? Do you think you will do okay doing it 5 times a week? 

I wish you the best of luck! 

Welcome back Seleas!  I have to agree that you did not fail the first challenge if it inspired you to come back and try again.

I like your goals and striving for a routine.  I wonder if that's the key to success.  Forming new habits until they become second nature?  Maybe it's that simple.  Not easy, but simple.

I worry that you are planning to punish yourself if you do not meet your goals.  When negatives start to pile up, they can become discouraging.  Perhaps better to seek more reenforcement if you are having a hard time, vs. taking away some pleasure of yours?

What are you studying in college?

July 29 - Day 1

Goal 1 - Adventurer's workout

I was able to complete only a partial circuit as I was unable to complete the pushups.  I did all the other reps in the circuit.  Just something I'll continue to work on, until I can complete the listed beginner workout of 3 circuits.  If my success in sit-ups last challenge is proof of anything, it's that I will be doing 3 circuits by the end of this challenge.

Goal 2 - Ride my Bike

I did not ride my bike today.  I won't make any excuses.  I just did not make any time for it.

Goal 3 - Cook for myself

Again, I took the easy way out.  Pizza for dinner tonight.  Not off to a very solid start on my goals.

Goal 4 - Study

I went to pick up my books today, but was informed I need to wait a few weeks for them.  This goal is on hiatus until I am able to begin studying for my classes.  Until I am able to begin studying, this goal will temporarily be to check if I can pick up my books yet.  Class starts before this challenge ends, so I will have plenty of time to meet this goal.

Thank you for the support everyone, I feel better about this challenge then the last.  I will try to be active to help be supportive for you all as well.

LegoLady, I'm going to college to become a Laser/Photon Engineer.  I like Math and Science, especially where the two meet.  I was going to be an Electrical Engineer, but my current major screamed at me without letting me pass it by.  One of those moments where life smacks you upside the head and rams your face repeatedly into the sign of where you should be going.  I will make this work, and I will stop living the life of a impoverished security guard.

Adventurer level 1

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34205-seleas-challenge-2-without-the-fail/?p=625040%5B/url]

Yesterday's over and today is new, a fresh attempt at goals. Way to be honest with yourself and just put it out there, it's really going to help (and is something I failed to do the first time around).

As for books it totally sucks that you can't get them yet. If you want to "practice" you might want to get in the habit of reading by just reading something. That way you will know how fast you can read pages and all that. I am a big fan of reading but I also know that college books are different. 

Level 2 Adventurer

You guys inspire me.  I am going to try doing a pushup today and see how that goes.

We all have our down days, Seleas.  Days when our willpower runs out and we cannot do the things we need to.  Willpower is definitely a finite resource, and if it gets sapped by stress or activity or something else, we just don't have enough to achieve our goals.  Maybe that is what happened to you.  The good news is that you can recharge it or just wait until the next day when you get a new supply.

July 30 - Day 2

Goal 1 Circuits

Got in one extra pushup, and realized I completely forgot about lunges yesterday.  The body weight squats and plank were very difficult, and I was glad to get them out of the way.  This is definitely not going to be easy, but will be completely worth it.

Goal 2 Bicycle

I did not ride today.  Will have to get in a ride tomorrow.

Goal 3 Cooking

Burger King.  Completing this goal is going to be as challenging to me as the last one was for cutting out soda.  I'm learning that my sedentary lifestyle was out of laziness...

Goal 4 Study

The books have not come ready yet, but I am checking on them in my Atlas.  J_addict: I appreciate the idea about reading a book, but I agree it would not be the same.  Reading for pleasure and reading for knowledge are different, and not necessarily compatible.  I will have to see how this one turns out as it comes.

Adventurer level 1

July 31 - Day 3

Goal 1 Circuits

I forgot to do them in the morning.  I did them before bed so I wouldn't miss a day at least.  I was able to complete 10 very shaky pushups, which translated into one very shaky plank.  I'm wiped out, but I completed a circuit today.  It's a start.  Still breathing hard as I type this before bed.

Goal 2 Bicycle

Did not ride today, but I should change that.  While I am still wore out from my circuit, to reinforce it.

Goal 3 Cook

Cooked a ramen soup for dinner before bed.  It's a start, I'm going to cook a hamburger or chicken tomorrow.

Goal 4 Study

Still nothing posted to my Atlas so far.

Adventurer level 1

Okay.  I was only able to push out a 10 minute bike ride.  I am spent.  I forgot I had to take Mom to her doctors today, so I'll be up for a few more hours.  I hope the plumber comes by today.  After that work out + bike ride, I want a shower.

Adventurer level 1

It's great that you're tackling your goals! It's hard for me to do a circuit workout at home, I just can't seem to muster up the drive yet, but I'm hoping I will soon. Glad that you got out on the bike even if it was for 10 minutes. Thanks for the updates and I hope you find some luck with the shower situation.

Level 2 Adventurer

August 1 - Day 4

Goal 1 Circuits

Was able to complete a circuit again today.  Due to a intense burn in my left knee, I did not start a second circuit.  Don't want to cause any permanent damage.  This wasn't the normal muscle burn, but it only affected me when doing my squats.  Will see how it feels tomorrow.

Goal 2 Bicycle

I did not ride today.  Thought about it twice, and never acted on it.  I've got to figure out how to stop this spectator mentality when it comes to what I should be doing instead.

Goal 3 Cook

I wasn't that hungry tonight, so I heated up some frozen egg rolls.  It required me to be in the kitchen, following preparation directions.  In other words it took my own effort to do.  As this is what I'm striving for with this goal, I am counting this as a successful dinner.

Goal 4 Study

The bookstore is not providing my textbooks yet.  Will check again tomorrow.

Good night everyone.  Report on today tomorrow morning, when my day ends again.

Adventurer level 1

You guys inspire me.  I am going to try doing a pushup today and see how that goes.

We all have our down days, Seleas.  Days when our willpower runs out and we cannot do the things we need to.  Willpower is definitely a finite resource, and if it gets sapped by stress or activity or something else, we just don't have enough to achieve our goals.  Maybe that is what happened to you.  The good news is that you can recharge it or just wait until the next day when you get a new supply.

Preach it, Lady. Seleas, I know you can do this. You're already set up for success with your goals (love the self-punishment part). If you want we could nag each other to work out on a daily... I am slacking as well.

Also, dear heart, you are probably not the fattest of your friends. Remember, I was unable to move at all for almost a month. I'm a little over 200 pounds right now... but not for long. This is coming on, cause being chubby is a problem you can run away from. We can toughen up together. I'm actually using you as motivation, if that helps, because I know you have a lot of the same motivation problems I do.

• [*]Level 2 Gnome (short, tending to the round, good with science and craftiness... no brainer there) Ranger[*] [*]Strength (STR) - 4[*]Dexterity (DEX) - 2[*]Stamina (STA) - 5[*]Constitution (CON) - 4[*]Wisdom (WIS) - 6[*]Charisma (CHA) - 5

Challenges (in reverse chronological order, current to earlier)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34432-the-continuing-adventures-of-omhawk/http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30951-omhawk-is-looking-for-the-corn/

"Stay on target...."

Ooh, and I found something awesome to motivate me on bike rides. Find a podcast you like. Make a rule that you can only listen to it when you're working out. :)

• [*]Level 2 Gnome (short, tending to the round, good with science and craftiness... no brainer there) Ranger[*] [*]Strength (STR) - 4[*]Dexterity (DEX) - 2[*]Stamina (STA) - 5[*]Constitution (CON) - 4[*]Wisdom (WIS) - 6[*]Charisma (CHA) - 5

Challenges (in reverse chronological order, current to earlier)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34432-the-continuing-adventures-of-omhawk/http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30951-omhawk-is-looking-for-the-corn/

"Stay on target...."

If I had an iPod, that would work.  ;)  I admit, I've missed a few days, but I'm picking back up.  Not going the full two weeks I did last time.

August 5 - Day 1 Week 2

Goal 1 Circuits

Started a second circuit today.  I made it up to 5 pushups, then was unable to continue.  My left knee still burns initially when doing my body weight squats.  Beginning of a knee problem?  Beginning arthritis?  It went away as I continued.  It definitely burned at first though.

Will edit in further goals as the day progresses.

Adventurer level 1

Maybe try a towel or other support on your knee? I know the ground hurts mine when I do push ups. My hand has been bugging me during push ups, but I try to work through it. 

Great that you returned and are making progress, that's what counts!

Level 2 Adventurer

How goes it, Seleas?  Are you on the bike yet?  I was going to offer to ride with you.  Now, I realize we are 3 hours apart on opposite coasts, but maybe we can coordinate a time and go riding.   With an assignment to post a pic of something we saw on our ride.  If we make it fun perhaps we will both do it.  I have been failing dismally at getting in my physical activity.

I DID do a pushup the other day, it was interesting.  I can only do it from my knees but I figure it's better than what I was doing before (big fat nothing!)

I have missed hearing from you.  Let's get you back on the wagon.  Did you cook again?  May I suggest the crock pot, if that fits in with your goal?  It's not as active as whipping something up in a skillet, but you are still preparing food and making it ready to eat.  It's really easy for a novice cook and lets you make multiple meals at one time.

I DID do a pushup the other day, it was interesting.  I can only do it from my knees but I figure it's better than what I was doing before (big fat nothing!)

That is the only way I can get mine in for now.  You are right though, better then nothing :)

Hope you are doing ok Seleas.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines