• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kmonaghan

Kai Ironsport and the Energy-Sucking Stone of Doom (repost)

Kai Ironsport and the Doom Stone

Once upon a time, there lived a little human named Kai. Kai was a lazy little human who lived a very unstructured and hedonistic life. Kai would eat frozen pizza 2-3 times a week, smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and spend 20-30 hours per week playing video games, when she wasn’t watching movies with a few friends. Kai didn’t really have any idea where she was going, or why she kept getting rounder.

Then one day, Kai bumped into another group of humans and saw that they lived a very different sort of life. They lifted weights, ran, and played football. Kai thought, “I’d give anything to be like themâ€. So Kai joined them and soon lost 26 pounds and turned a great deal of her pudge into nice, healthy muscle. After a while, Kai wandered off to pursue her own adventures, and became a full-fledged Ranger. On her journey, she quit smoking, lost another 25 pounds and completed many epic quests (triathlons, adventure races, etc.)

But then the evil wizard saw how happy Kai was and became jealous. The evil wizard cursed Kai with a threefold curse:

1. The evil wizard gave Kai’s first born child the screaming (colic), so that no one could make the child sleep and no one around the child could get any rest for 8 months.

2. Then, the evil wizard cursed Kai’s body and forced it to grow a massive stone (8 inch fibroid) which sucked all of Kai’s life energy.

3. And lastly, whilst Kai and her love were distracted, trying to soothe the child, and expel the stone, the evil wizard came and stole all of Kai’s gold, forcing Kai to labor, day and night to provide for the family.

Although she and her beloved finally soothed the child, banished the evil stone, reclaimed their gold, and, Kai was now a shadow of her former self. After some time, however, Kai vowed to rejoin the Rangers that were her friends and return to the hero she once was.

Name: Kai Ironsport

Starting stats:

Weight: 162.8 lbs →?

BF%: 33.5% →?

BMI 28.3→?

Overweight 20.3 lbs →?

Neck: 14.125" →?

Chest: 39.5" →?

Waist: 33" →?

Hips: 39.5" →? |

Bicep (L): 13†→?

Bicep®: 13†→?

Thigh (L): 25.25†→?

Thigh ®: 25.5†→?

Main Quest: Decrease body fat from 33% “obese†to “acceptable†range (

I guess I ran out of room. Here's the rest of it!

Main Quest: Decrease body fat from 33% “obese†to “acceptable†range (<32%)

Three specific and measurable goals/missions:

4. I will stay within 100 calories of my daily budget daily (42 possible) WIS +1 CHA +1 CON +2

5. Do bodyweight exercises (Scooby pull-ups/dead-hangs & 100 push-up & 200 sit-up Gorilla workouts) 5X/week (30 possible) STR +5

6. Run 6X/week (36 possible) STA +5

One life related side quest: Write 3 gratitudes a night WIS +1

My motivation: Why are you here? Why are you trying to live a better life?

I am here to regain the fitness I lost through my tumor, surgery, colic and overwork.

Optional, but highly suggested, are also starting photos and starting measurements.

Ideas for future optional side quests:

4. Meditate for 25 breaths per day WIS +2

5. Eat 3 fruits or vegetables a day CON +1

6. Sleep 7 hours a night CON +1

Colic sucks.  My first kid had a major case of it and that was the worst few month for my wife and I.  I also did not workout much and gained wait during that adventure.  Luckily the second little bundle of joy is sleeping MUCh better.  (So far, knock on wood)
Doo it up! Let's kill this challenge!!

Here's the pull-up program I'm using.  I started with the Nerd Fitness version, but plataued.  Making progress again!

Phase 1
5 sets of chinup (palms facing your face) Walk-The-Plank’s, 8 reps per set, one minute rest between sets. Workout every other day.

Continue with Phase 1 till you can do it so slowly that it takes 2 seconds to lower yourself each time.

Phase 2
5 sets of pullup (palms pointed away from your face) Walk-The-Plank’s, 8 reps per set, one minute rest between sets. Workout every other day.

Continue with Phase 2 till you can do it so slowly that it takes 2 seconds to lower yourself each time.

Phase 3
5 sets. On first two reps, do as much of a real chinup as you can, followed by 6 reps of Walk-The-Planks. Workout every other day. One minute rest between sets.

Continue with Phase 3 until you can do two real chinups!

Phase 4 – Monday Workout
5 sets. Do as many real chinups as you can, followed by enough Walk-The-Planks to give you 8 total reps One minute rest between sets.

Phase 4 – Thursday Workout

Do as many real chinups as you can, and then a static hold for as long as you can. Rest 2 minutes and do next set for a total of 5 sets.

Continue Phase 4 till you can do 8 chinups

Phase 5 – Thursday Workout
5 sets. Do as many real pullups as you can, followed by enough Walk-The-Planks to give you 8 total reps One minute rest between sets.

Phase 5 – Thursday Workout
Do as many real pullups as you can, and then a static hold for as long as you can. Rest 2 minutes and do next set for a total of 5 sets.

Continue Phase 5 till you can do 8 pullups!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

How is running 5 miles every day on the knees?  

How is the challenging going for you so far?  I am totally having issues with how much food I'm eating but I am going to stick with it until the bitter end of the week and regroup from there!  Hopefully the weight keeps coming off because it is good to eat and have energy!

Sorry I haven't posted...I've been busy at work and home.  Here's my report so far:

Goal  1:  Stay within 100 calories of my calorie budget as determined by my Lose it! App.

Goal 2:  Strength train different systems on alternating days.  One day I do my Scooby beginner pull-up program and attempt 3 dead-weight hangs for time.  On the opposite day, I do the next day on my 100 push-ups and 200 sit-ups Gorilla app workout.

Goal 3:  Run Monday through Friday, every day, increasing my daily run by ¼ mi each week.

Life Goal:  Write 3 gratitudes in my journal each night.

Day 1:  Perfect! Ran 2.25 miles, did my pull-ups but ran out of time to finish my dead hangs.  Good on the calories and wrote in my journal.  Starting strong!

Day 2:  Went over on my calories by about 200 but still not too bad because I’m still in the deficit zone.  Strong run.  For my push-ups, I’m stuck on this one day where I’m supposed to do 10 sets as follows with 30 sec. rest between sets:  9-10-12-10-9-8-7-max-max-max.  My solution is to write them on my dry erase board at home.  I’m tracking my progress and have been increasing by 1-2 pushups a day.  Good deal.  No gratitutudes.

Day 3:   Ran my 2.25 miles fast, did my pull-ups and left for work late to finish my deadhangs.  Good on the calories.  Skipoped gratitudes.  Again.  It’s just not on my radar.

Day 4:  Ran my 2.25 miles, improved to 9-10-9-5-5-4-4-4-4-4=58 push-ups in 6:42.   Good on the calories.  Missed gratitudes.  Had a problem with my daughter that kept me up late.

Day 5:  Skipped everything but walked my dog for 15 minutes.  I’m so sore!  I wrote on my hand to do my gratitudes!!!

How is running 5 miles every day on the knees?  

How is the challenging going for you so far?  I am totally having issues with how much food I'm eating but I am going to stick with it until the bitter end of the week and regroup from there!  Hopefully the weight keeps coming off because it is good to eat and have energy!

Hi Yellowjacket:

It sounds rough but the 5 miles doesn't bother me.  I've been running for 5 years now and have a good base built up.  What is your biggest challenge with the eating?  It might be easier to eliminate one problem food at a time.  The first thing for me was pizza.  I made a rule to never buy any pizza for myself ever again.  If we out with friends or it was part of a lunch get together, that was fine.  The idea was to really limit it without feeling like I could never have it. 

Keep me posted!

K

The 2nd half of this week hasn't gone as well as the first half.  Weekends are always a challenge for me.  First, its hard to maintain my 8PM-4AM sleep schedule because its the only time I get to see my partner.  Second, my eating is never as clean because I'm around other people.

Friday-rest day with a walk with my dog.  Calories good.

Saturday-Great 6.5 mile long run on hills good pace, in prep for my Twilight Trot 10k next week.  All systems go!  My eating was terrible.  I drank all my calories in frozen daiduries at a 60th birthday party.

Sunday-Good improvement on my push-ups.  Hopefully I'll only be on this level for about another week.  Did a set of crunches too.  Calories were ok.  Not terrible but not within my goal range either.  Ugh!

I'm going up to check my measurements for my 1st week check in.  Wish me luck!

Challenge Week 1

Overall, the results this week are a mixed bag.  I was 4/7 on staying within 100 calories of my calorie budget, and I really went off course on the weekend.  My strength training goal was 5/5 and I am really seeing the results there.  I was able to increase to 63 push-ups in 6:30 and today I had a 1:30 dead hang.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to move to another push-up workout soon.  If I get to 2:00 dead-hangs, I will move to a 3 finger grip.  They recently opened a climbing gym near my house and it would be cool to add climbing to my repertoire.  My running is going really well although I’m 5/6.  Saturday, I did my long run on my next 10ks race route and finished very strong, even though it is extremely hilly.  I’m beginning to hope for a PR on that course.  Although I’m very slow, I take my running seriously.  Then there’s my life goal:  gratitudes.  I am only 1/7.  One day I actually remembered them but didn’t feel like doing them.  I either have to reconsider my life goal or set up a different system

How is your challenge going?

Current stats:
Weight: 162.8 lbs →162.8 â†’?
BF%: 33.5% →31.98% â†’?
BMI 28.3→28.4 â†’?
Overweight 20.3 lbs →20.3 â†’?
Neck: 14.125" →?
Chest: 39.5" →38.5" â†’?
Waist: 33" →? 32.75"→?
Hips: 39.5" →?38.5" â†’?
Bicep (L): 13†→?
Bicep®: 13†→?
Thigh (L): 25.25†→25.5†→?
Thigh ®: 25.5†→25.5†→?

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by!

Boy, can I ever sympathize on #1. My oldest had it along with projectile vomiting, constant bowel problems and feeding issues. Doctor appt. after doctor appt. after doctor appt. until she was about a year old. Thought I might lose my sanity. Then on to the next child, lol.

Absolutely LOVE your opening, that is awesome!

Glad to see you posting regularly, sounds like you're making progress!

Consider me a lurker!  :encouragement:

Wow!  Love your opening tale, and your energy.  Colic can see me in hell -- I bet it has ruined a lot of parents' fitness levels.  Overcoming a tumor can't be easy, either.  Kudos to you for being here!  Your stats are a lot like mine.

Also, my son's name is Kai.  :)

OK, things are a little rough this week.  I seem to have injured my sternum doing all of the push-ups.  It makes sense because I have been struggling so much with Day 6 of Level 2 of the Gorilla 100 push-up program.  I think the program asks you to make too much of a jump beyween days 4-6 and could cause injury.  Sooooo, I will be laying off strength training for a week to let it heal and revisit on Monday.  I might even restart the push-up program for the 2nd time to get stronger and take advantage of my fitness gains.  I will get there!  Running is going great and I have a 10k coming up this weekend.  It should be fun.  My food is ok, not great,  My diet is one of my biggest weaknesses.  I generally eat very well but then blow my budget with binges on the weekend or when I feel stressed.  My life goal is in the gutter, and I may have to pick something else.

Wow!  Love your opening tale, and your energy.  Colic can see me in hell -- I bet it has ruined a lot of parents' fitness levels.  Overcoming a tumor can't be easy, either.  Kudos to you for being here!  Your stats are a lot like mine.

Also, my son's name is Kai.  :)

LadyJustice,

Thanks for the empathy-the colic brought everything in our lives to a screeching halt.  Pun intended.    What was the inspiration behind your son's name?

Hope to hear from you again,,

Kai

OK, things are a little rough this week.  I seem to have injured my sternum doing all of the push-ups.  It makes sense because I have been struggling so much with Day 6 of Level 2 of the Gorilla 100 push-up program.  I think the program asks you to make too much of a jump beyween days 4-6 and could cause injury.  Sooooo, I will be laying off strength training for a week to let it heal and revisit on Monday.  I might even restart the push-up program for the 2nd time to get stronger and take advantage of my fitness gains.  I will get there!  Running is going great and I have a 10k coming up this weekend.  It should be fun.  My food is ok, not great,  My diet is one of my biggest weaknesses.  I generally eat very well but then blow my budget with binges on the weekend or when I feel stressed.  My life goal is in the gutter, and I may have to pick something else.

Injured your sternum doing pushups? Yikes, I didn't know that was even possible! :nightmare:

Make moderation as you know they work for you! Take care! :peaceful:

Hi Yellowjacket:

It sounds rough but the 5 miles doesn't bother me.  I've been running for 5 years now and have a good base built up.  What is your biggest challenge with the eating?  It might be easier to eliminate one problem food at a time.  The first thing for me was pizza.  I made a rule to never buy any pizza for myself ever again.  If we out with friends or it was part of a lunch get together, that was fine.  The idea was to really limit it without feeling like I could never have it. 

Keep me posted!

K

OK, I think my biggest challenge with eating is discipline.  Let me explain.

1) The biggest problem area I have is to make a conscious effort to eat enough veggies and drink enough water each day.  If I am having an off day and it is difficult to concentrate, chances are I am not hydrated.  I have a bad habit of eating food in lieu of drinking water i.e.  I think I am hungry but I am really thirsty.  

The veggies are easy to overlook because they have so few calories for the amount of volume one can eat.  I have to keep reminding myself that veggies have many many other things in them which will help me progress much better with my strength and fat loss goals.

Solution:  Make a rule that I have to have a full water bottle with me all day and to drink when thirsty.  Also make a rule that I need two veggies minimum with every serving of protein.

2) Eating regularly.  The idea is to eat BEFORE I feel hungry.  People around me find my diet and eating habits strange because they are so non-north american.  For instance, I don't eat bread right now.  I haven't had a sandwich in ages and I honestly don't miss the things at all.  I also eat a lot of lean meats per day.  (1 can of tuna, 8oz of beef, a chicken breast, 3 - 4 eggs)  2650 kcal is A WHOLE LOT of clean calories and it gets spread out over 6 feedings in a day.  I try to get enough variety every day that I don't get sick of everything as this will keep me going long term.  So far I feel amazing!!  

Solution:  Prep food ahead.  Get a bunch of tupperware containers and have the meals ready so that I can eat throughout the day.  The prep time is the biggest obstacle with grabbing the 'right' foods.

The biggest boon with this approach to diet and exercise is that I have post workout shakes that allow me to indulge modestly in chocolatey and sweet calorically dense liquid treats.  I mask the 60g of protein from whey with honey, cocoa powder, and peanut butter.  It is delicious and post workout, it is also guilt free.  This also minimizes my recovery time and keeps me from having an extended post workout slump.  When I start getting much leaner, I'll have to mind my macronutrients even more but I'm being very strict for now because I want maximum results for my efforts.

LOLing at the 'screeching halt' pun.  

[edit]  you may be overtraining with the pushups.  Do some interval sprints once or twice this week just to get the metabolism cooking.  ^__^

Stress is catabolic which is partially why it encourages binge eating.  Perhaps drink water instead?  It is also good to have one cheat meal per week.

Kai,

A screeching halt, yes!  Haha!  It is so hard to find motivation for anything when you're sleep deprived!  But finding time for yourself/healthy habits will pay off big time down the road.  I know this only because I totally didn't do it.  :)  Until now, of course.

My husband's family is Welsh, so we were introduced to Kai as a Welsh name, but when we started telling friends we liked the name, we learned that it is a name in lots of different cultures.  We've had friends of Finnish, Dutch, German, Japanese, and Hawaiian origin all tell us it's a name where they come from.  Apparently it means "ocean" in Hawaiian.  We loved that it was a citizen-of-the-world sort of name, so we settled on Kai.  He's four now, and it suits him.  :)

How did today go?  I just finished my workout and am feeling a mixture of incredibly powerful and ready for a nap. 

I saw you put stats at level 1 and I just may do that as well. ;)

Riskva:

I joined the forum in the ending weeks of the last challenge and put considerable effort into developing my character.  When I went to sign up for this challenge, they changed the rules and told me they were going to change the rules again at the end of the year.  Rather than get annoyed, I decided to grandfather myself under the old rules because that was in effect when I joined.

LOL-that's why I'm a rogue.  I like rules and think other people should follow them!

How's your challenge going?

TTYL,

K

Kai,

A screeching halt, yes!  Haha!  It is so hard to find motivation for anything when you're sleep deprived!  But finding time for yourself/healthy habits will pay off big time down the road.  I know this only because I totally didn't do it.  :)  Until now, of course.

My husband's family is Welsh, so we were introduced to Kai as a Welsh name, but when we started telling friends we liked the name, we learned that it is a name in lots of different cultures.  We've had friends of Finnish, Dutch, German, Japanese, and Hawaiian origin all tell us it's a name where they come from.  Apparently it means "ocean" in Hawaiian.  We loved that it was a citizen-of-the-world sort of name, so we settled on Kai.  He's four now, and it suits him.  :)

How did today go?  I just finished my workout and am feeling a mixture of incredibly powerful and ready for a nap. 

LadyJustice:

I had no idea that Kai was Welsh or anything else.  My name is Kelly so I was just trying to come up with a variation.  I'm excited to hear its such a meaningful moniker.

Today was good.  I am not strength training anything but my abs until next week.  My AM run was good too.  Now if I can just get those pesky food choices under control, I'd be great.  Darn emotional eating.

How are you doing?

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by!

Boy, can I ever sympathize on #1. My oldest had it along with projectile vomiting, constant bowel problems and feeding issues. Doctor appt. after doctor appt. after doctor appt. until she was about a year old. Thought I might lose my sanity. Then on to the next child, lol.

Absolutely LOVE your opening, that is awesome!

Glad to see you posting regularly, sounds like you're making progress!

Consider me a lurker!  :encouragement:

Sleep and food issues with babies can be a nightmare.  I hope your second child was easier.  How is your challenge going?  Thanks for lurking!

Sleep and food issues with babies can be a nightmare.  I hope your second child was easier.  How is your challenge going?  Thanks for lurking!

Lol, unfortunately, it was the third that was the (easiest :nonchalance: )!

Challenge is going awesome!

Best wishes for the same with yours! :peaceful:

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of info--I haven't dropped off the forum.  Things got crazy with work and I will post my results tonight.

Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

K