Eli's Back in Action!!

Eli

Yeah! New Challenge!

I'm felling really great about this round. As some of you know from last time, I was having some rough times figuring out the cause of my mysterious illness! Well, I am 99% confident that I've been suffering from health issues as a consequence of my (until now) unknown allergy to gluten. I've kicked the gluten, and I'm feeling great again!

I spent 2 months eating gluten-free with an 80% improvement to my health and then I took a "gluten challenge" the week after the last NF challenge. The "gluten challenge" meant I had to eat a minimum of 1 slice of glutinous bread every day...well, I ramped that up a bit to times 4. Summary: the first 3 days were purely gastro-intestinal related symptoms (pain, bloating, gas, pain...) but by the middle of the third day and beyond, I was back into the weird headaches, dizziness, confusion, exhaustion, extremely low energy (e.g. I went from walking 3.5 km twice a day to being completely exhausted after walking ONE city block). The headaches and other symptoms continued into the following week AFTER I'd gone back to my gluten-free diet. My digestion took a little while, as well, to get back to normal. I also severely broke out in acne and had some other bizarre health issues (which I won't discuss with you here). The whole point of the "gluten challenge" was for me to take a celiacs blood test. I know now that I'm gluten intolerant, but I would like to know if I'm actually celiacs instead. I'm still waiting to see my doctor to find out the results. Should know by Wednesday!

Ok, so now that that bs is over with, I feel a lot better again and have much more energy. I played a game of Ultimate Frisbee last night and am happy to report that I: 1) had a TON of energy; 2) was running and sprinting like I haven't done since I was a track-loving teenager; and 3) didn't have to sub-off once during the entire 70 minute game (were were short 5 players)! It felt awesome! Maybe some of you remember when I was worried about heart issues?? Well, I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't also related to my gluten problem.

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

My main quest: to become the organized, disciplined person I have always wanted to be!! My inspiration, Kung Fu movies!...(if you don't immediately understand, then don't worry about it...). The goals I've chosen for this challenge are all things on my "life list" of things to do. I'm tired of sitting around wishing I was that person, and I'm finally going to work towards making it happen! 

I've started making lists for myself with weekly and/or daily goals. I find I work better and am more productive when I have a visible deadline. Since my supervisor has been MIA for pretty much the entire year (he has a new girlfriend), this is really helping me to keep on track with my Thesis progress. That leads me to my first goal...

1) Get Organized with School!!!

a) I'm going to continue keeping weekly goals for my studies in my calendar and have a photo of them as my computer desktop image. I've attached my list for July below.

b ) Every time I need to read a paper for my research, I'm going to write the author(s), date, and title in my notebook and include a short summary of the paper. I'm also going to make notes regarding particular things of interest and other papers that were cited which I may want to look up at a later time.

c) Knitting of only simple, circular patterns will be permitted while reading scientific papers as this allows me to focus on reading. My mind has a tendency to wonder to other topics while I read; I discovered that knitting (because I've been doing it for so long that its automatic without looking) helps keep my wondering mind occupied and allows me to focus directly on reading. A bit of an ADHD cure ;)

d) Every week, I'm going to allow a few hours time to work on "studying". I find that I have forgotten a lot of basic, introductory knowledge from my undergrad degree and some of it is fairly essential to my study area. This calls for the old "make notes from the textbook and memorize 'em" method. I will be focussing on learning and internalizing a lot of definitions.

The other thing I would like to do with this challenge is modify the way I spend my free time at home. I still haven't touched that novel on my night stand... I also haven't picked up one of my many instruments since Christmas! I also have a list of knitting projects that need to be finished.

2) Get 'er Done at Home!!!

a) Each week (each day might be pushing it...), choose one thing to work on in my spare time. That may be practising an instrument (guitar, bass, bodhran, fiddle, dij) or reading a novel. These things will occur INSTEAD OF watching Tv/movies/netflix and must amount to AT LEAST 3 hours/week. Because knitting generally pairs well with tv, I won't include it in the time limit. I will just knit during the remainder of the time and attempt to finish AT LEAST TWO of the projects by the end of this challenge (Lonnie's cardigan, my Dad's bluegrass dobro socks, Cecelia's puffin toque, etc.).

As I'm feeling a bit better and stronger, I would like to start jogging/running each week. Since I started Ultimate Frisbee, running has been an area of my personal fitness that has been found wanting. I keep pulling my right hamstring during frisbee!!! (and yes, I am warming up before the game...)

3) Jogging!!!

a) I will go jogging for a minimum of 30 minutes, 3 times a week. I have discussed this with my partner and he is willing to try going with me. Lately, we've been extremely lazy in the mornings and have slept through our jogging dates. However!! If I can hold myself accountable on NF, I might actually do it :)

Those are the goals! Through all of this, I will continue to eat clean and gluten-free. I have been pretty good with my diet through the challenges, so I don't feel as though it's something I need to document here any more. I'm stable at 133 lbs. which is only 3 pounds over what I was as an undergrad (some 10 years ago...). I feel great at that weight and really don't have any desire to lose or gain. I'm more interested in toning my body which is why I'm starting with jogging. My thighs have always been a frustration of mine, so I'd like to do something to get them a bit leaner. I will also continue walking to school as I have been and doing my daily yoga routine.

Grading on the goals will be as follows:

Goal #1 = completion of deadlines as laid out in my weekly schedules will be graded in terms of percent. Completion of task on time or early will result in 100% grade, while late completion will result on a lower percentage as determined by the total allotted time of the original task (e.g. task was given 4 days to complete, each day late will be 25% decrease; task was given 5 days, 20% for each day late). I will allow for 3 grace days (strikes) during the entire challenge to accommodate for unforeseen disturbances/problems (e.g. error in my core logs requires me to go back to the core lab for a day, thus upsetting the schedule).

Award: +3 CONS, +2 WIS

Goal #2 = three hours each week of either music or novel reading. Only ONE may be chosen each week. Grade will be a percent rating on time completed. Knitting will also be rated in percent of the two required project completions by the end of the six week challenge.

Award: +2 CONS

Goal #3 = jogging a minimum of 30 minutes, 3 times per week (total 90 minutes per week). This excluded the time spent walking to school each day and the time spent running during Ultimate Frisbee games. Grading will be based on percent completed.

Award: +3 STR, +3 STA

Human Druid-Assassin, Level 3

STR: 4.25 | DEX: 3.5 | STA: 6.5 | CON: 9.35 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

hmmm...not sure what's up with my post...it seems my paragraph breaks aren't showing up and my photo didn't upload...

Fixed it! Here's that photo!

The last two blocks for the month of July and beginning of August are "Describe trace fossils" and "Ichnofabrics". 

post-15891-0-14265900-1375117834_thumb.j

Hi Eli, great to have you back!

I'm glad you feel that you figured out one of the important factors for your wellbeing. Well done!

Also, I like your goals, I think ;-) No, I do like them but I have difficulties following your flow of words - but I think I grasped it.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Hi there :)

Your gluten issues sounds a lot like mine. I had mostly neurological stuff to deal with as well, various hurty bits, balance and coordination issues, brain fog, sensory overload (still to a degree), and utter battery empty fatigue. Tested negative for celiac, but gluten free helps. I don't think non-celiac gluten intolerance is on a lot of doctors radar, and with atypical symptoms that don't scream food issues, it tends to get missed. Frustrating, but glad you found the culprit too !

I attempted to get an earth sciences degree, but studying while I was so ill was a silly idea. No way I could focus enough. Trying to add some languages for work to my repertoire at the moment, but one day I'd like to attempt that degree again.

Level 2 Wood Elf Druid Str 5| Dex 7 |Sta 3| Con 5.5| Wis 11.5 | Cha 3.5 

Hi Eli.  It is good to see you again.  I am glad your gluten trauma is over.  You have an ambitious and great set of achievable goals.  I wish you great success and will be here cheering you on.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Hi there :)

Your gluten issues sounds a lot like mine. I had mostly neurological stuff to deal with as well, various hurty bits, balance and coordination issues, brain fog, sensory overload (still to a degree), and utter battery empty fatigue. Tested negative for celiac, but gluten free helps. I don't think non-celiac gluten intolerance is on a lot of doctors radar, and with atypical symptoms that don't scream food issues, it tends to get missed. Frustrating, but glad you found the culprit too !

I attempted to get an earth sciences degree, but studying while I was so ill was a silly idea. No way I could focus enough. Trying to add some languages for work to my repertoire at the moment, but one day I'd like to attempt that degree again.

Hi!!  Oh wow, ya, I had all that too....balance issues, brain fog, photo- and auditory-sensitivities, loss of short-term memory, slurred speech, inability to comprehend what others were saying to me, extreme fatigue,....the list goes on!! I made the mistake of telling my neurologist that, "It's like I'm trapped in a fog...". She immediately decided that I had severe depression and urgently recommended I go to a psychiatric facility for further evaluation. WTF?! I kind of want to mail her a slice of bread with a note or something, lol  :playful:

Well, everyone!! It's now official: I DON'T have celiacs!! Blood test was completely normal and healthy. I am gluten-intolerant and my doctor told me to "never, ever eat gluten again, EVER!" Hahahaaaa. 

So week 1 update: I still have not managed to go jogging or play music/read instead of watching TV... I'm a little disappointed with myself, but I haven't given up yet! I've made a little wall chart and am giving myself a little sticker every time I complete one of my goals during the week (i.e. 30 min. jog, 3 times each week; 1 hour music/reading 3 times each week). I'm killing it with the school goals though! I've actually finished all of this week's goals already and am just cleaning up around the edges. My boyfriend and I want to head out camping this weekend, so I'm anticipating not going to school on Friday :)

Well, it appears as though I've caught some sort of weird cold/bug thing. My boyfriend has been ill for the last week, so I guess it's my turn :(

Still didn't make it out jogging, and I'm starting to think it's just not going to happen this week. I played my bass for about 10 minutes last night, but then put it away to watch IP Man 2 on Netflix (love that guy!). That movie has convinced me to pursue Wing Chung Kung Fu in the Fall and I'm very excited!

Here is a photo of my school deadlines for August. I have finished up all my goals for July and am actually working ahead a bit on next week's goals. Today, I'm feeling a bit weird and sleepy so I'm not getting a lot done school-wise, which is completely fine. 

I think part of my problem with jogging is that I just don't have enough time in the mornings or in the evenings to accomplish that AND music/novel things. I think I might have to start bringing some work-out clothes to school and going for a jog behind the department. I think there's a trail back there that goes around the lake. I'm thinking maybe mid-afternoon study break jog? Time management is becoming a real issue this challenge!

Oh, and Ps. I updated my first post to include a Main quest. When I initially posted for this challenge, I had not yet received the new challenge rules. It all kind of worked out though! I chose goals this time around that were on my "things to do with my life" list :)  I don't really have a side quest, but I think the jogging thing kind of falls on the fringes of my main quest, so it kind of works.

post-15891-0-97892000-1375365047_thumb.j

You got it!! Great to see you again here :) Enjoy camping!!!! Looking forward to your progress!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Oh dangit- didn't get the most recent post about being sick :/

Mid-afternoon study break jog sounds awesome. Whenever you don't have time to exercise, that's the best time to exercise! 

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

I left school early today because I was feeling pretty terrible. But I am very proud of myself; instead of sitting on the couch, feeling ill, and watching tv, I sat on the balcony and noodled away on my bass guitar for an hour!! Yeah!! 1/3 hours of music complete this week! ...and now to bed with my sick self :)

Oh, and it's supposed to rain all day Saturday so we cancelled camping :( plus I'm kind of sick...but I think a trip to the ocean (walking or driving) is in order this weekend!

Hi Eli.  I hope you have a good weekend, despite the rain.  Being sick is no fun, but hang in there and it will be over before you know it.  Enjoy your ocean trip!

Level 8 Human Druid

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Hey Eli! Great goals! Hopefully now that the gluten deal is figured so you don't have to eat it, and you figured out that sneaky hidden gluten, you'll be feeling well enough to destroy these goals. Great progress so far! Keep it up!

Also, thanks for the email/ FB post recipes!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

End of week 1 report:

Well, I completed all my school related deadlines from last week!! I'll be starting another set of deadlines tomorrow (Monday). I didn't make it out jogging AT ALL... I'm very sad about that but I think I've figured out the issue I'm having with that goal: time. I can't seem to find the time to go jogging! So I've decided to go during school hours. I've washed all my gym stuff and I have it ready to take with me tomorrow morning!

I spent a lot of time this week watching movies, tv, and playing video games. I only managed 1 hour out of 3 for music stuff. That's been a challenging change of habit. Music or novel reading instead of the tube...hmmmm. I'll keep working on it!

Over all, not a bad week considering I was a bit ill. Played frisbee tonight and am completely exhausted... My right index finger also is developing a goose-egg from a rather daring bit of defensive playing ;) I also slipped in a puddle and fell very hard on my butt (it hurt). But, good times! I can feel my cardio improving! Now to add jogging to the fitness list!

I did it!! I jogged!! It even took me 30 minutes (though it felt like the fastest jog ever...not sure why?). I took a break from school at 2:50pm, got changed, jogged from my department to the trail, jogged the trail to the far end of the lake and back, jogged back to the department just in time to run into my supervisor (who I haven't seen for 2-3 months...)! Now I'm back into my day clothes at 3:40pm. Yeah! The jog was actually pretty nice! I think I will try again this week.

Doing really well on my school deadlines! Tomorrow is a holiday in Newfoundland, so I will get off-set a bit on my schedule because we are planning to go see the festivities :) I still haven't played my bass this week or read my novel, but we did have a friend over last night and played board/card games instead of watching tv...so at least I didn't spend yesterday evening in front of the tube again! 

Also, I've been feeling as though I might be transitioning to Assassin guild! I think this might be my last challenge as a Druid (for now!). In September, I'll be starting a martial arts class which will bring me closer to my ultimate goal of becoming an Elf druid-assassin hybrid! Exciting :)

Awesome updates!! You play ultimate???? Yeay!!!!! (Me too)

You're doing great- all progress is good :) Especially when you are ill!!

We'll miss ya in the Druids if that's the case, but I totally understand!

Glad you're feeling better and got out jogging! I'll be spending a lot of time at Queen's College on campus this fall which backs onto the same pond. If I'm able to, maybe I could jog with you some days! Regatta Day is only a holiday in St. John's though :(.

Keep it up!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Awesome updates!! You play ultimate???? Yeay!!!!! (Me too)

You're doing great- all progress is good :) Especially when you are ill!!

We'll miss ya in the Druids if that's the case, but I totally understand!

Yeah! I just started playing Ultimate last summer. I've been playing with the women's league and it's pretty fun!

Glad you're feeling better and got out jogging! I'll be spending a lot of time at Queen's College on campus this fall which backs onto the same pond. If I'm able to, maybe I could jog with you some days! Regatta Day is only a holiday in St. John's though :(.

Keep it up!

Hey! Sure, we can meet up for jogging! I generally keep a pretty slow pace and take walking breaks :)

Ya, it occurred to me after I posted it that Regatta was only in St. John's, lol. We checked it out yesterday, watched a few of the races, but left pretty early due to the crowds. There were soooooooooo many people there yesterday that I was starting to feel claustrophobic! It felt a bit like what I imagine being a zombie would feel like...slowly shuffling along with a hoard of other, lifeless creatures occasionally bumping into one another. It was really draining (both physically and mentally) to be stuck walking around with so many other humans. There weren't even gaps in the foot-traffic! It was just a constant flow of people either moving the same direction we were, or going the opposite way. We went home and recovered on the couch under a giant blanket :)

All right!  Getting your goals!  Keep up the good work.

If you are having trouble finding time to go jogging, try high intensity weight lifting.  Fifteen to twenty minutes a week is all you need or want.  I have been doing it for several years and it has kept me in great shape and allowed me to put the time elsewhere (Boy Scouts, music, family, church, etc.).  If you are interested, there are several good books available, such as Body By Science and The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution.  Interestingly enough, it will improve your cardio as well as your strength.

Level 8 Human Druid

All right!  Getting your goals!  Keep up the good work.

If you are having trouble finding time to go jogging, try high intensity weight lifting.  Fifteen to twenty minutes a week is all you need or want.  I have been doing it for several years and it has kept me in great shape and allowed me to put the time elsewhere (Boy Scouts, music, family, church, etc.).  If you are interested, there are several good books available, such as Body By Science and The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution.  Interestingly enough, it will improve your cardio as well as your strength.

Cool! Thanks for the tips! :)

Update from last week! 

Ok, so I managed to sneak in ALL MY JOGGING TIME for the week!! I'm super proud of that. I, however, did not manage to play any instruments or read my novel :(  I DID manage to finish a couple of knitting/crocheting projects that have been on my plate for a REALLY long time! My diet has been good and I've been walking to school most days (although my partner started a new job and has been kind enough to drop me off and/or pick me up from school some days). I really need to start doing more yoga because I'm feeling a bit stiff; my busy schedule lately has been tricky and most days I'm just too rushed in the morning or too tired in the evenings to do anything but sit on the couch (thus why my goal of playing music/reading a novel has gone down the drain this week...). HOWEVER, I did manage to catch up of all my school work as listed in my August schedule and I'm very happy with my progress!! 

I'm currently across the island with my working group and supervisor doing some field work/group catch-up. I have brought my novel and intend to read it!! I also will try to go jogging, though we might be too busy for that (maybe when I get back home on Friday...). I have a room to myself, so I plan to do yoga every morning!! I'll update you at the end of the week to let you know how I did!!

Cheers!

Eli

Just your field work would be enough exercise for most people.  Getting the jogging in too is great.  Good luck!

Level 8 Human Druid

Hello!

Update from last week... not good.

It turned out that my field work/field trip was such a super stressful experience that I was unable to do anything other than work on school. I had some fairly emotional moments (in private) as a result of continuously catching one of my overly competitive colleagues misinforming my supervisor of my progress behind my back (progress which he knows nothing about; just wanted to establish his superiority within the group and to our supervisor). I'm still incredibly furious about the situation...in short, his actions sent my emotional state spiralling into a disappointed and frustrated abyss... 

With all of that, last week's trip really didn't do much for me on the NF front. I had a few days of flu-ish feelings (I think my cold from last week was still hanging on) and really didn't have the energy to do any additional physical activity other than the hiking and rock climbing that was already planned for the trip. I was too exhausted every morning to wake up with enough time to manage yoga :( and I didn't touch my novel...I instead spent long hours in my dorm room furiously working on my thesis research in preparation for meeting with my supervisor and the group presentations. I think it's safe to say that I worked myself ragged last week with all the stress, emotional anxiety, bad colleague encounters, and flu-ish symptoms. Overall, pretty depressing week. I did, however, get a lot of school work done so that's something :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines