Challenge #2 for Litt1eH!

Litt1eH

Background Information: After a decade of being over 200lbs (and creeping ever closer to 300), I decided to change my life. I started my weight-loss/fitness/health journey 15 months ago, at 253lbs (my highest weight was 289lbs). I now weigh 188lbs.

Main Quest: Lose 100lbs.  My original goal was to lose 100lbs in ONE year. That deadline has come and gone, but it is still my ultimate goal to lose those remaining 35lbs. I’d like to reach this goal by April of 2014. (Which will make it: 100lbs in TWO years. Heh.)

Goals: 
1. Train for a 10k! In the past year, (since I participated in my first NF challenge), I’ve competed in four 5k races. I’d like to up the intensity and start a 10k training program. I believe the regularly scheduled runs will help me get in the necessary calorie burn to support my weight-loss goals.

I’ll be following the training plan here: http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/10ktraining/10knovice.pdf

There are 18 runs planned for the next 6 weeks, so my “grade†will be determined by the % of runs I complete during this 6-week challenge.

Attribute Points: +4 STA, +1 DEX

2. Do the NF “Beginner Bodyweight Circuit†twice a week! My 10k running plan has two “Stretch & Strengthen†days, so I’ll be doing the bodyweight circuit on those days.

There are 12 bodyweight training days planned for the next 6 weeks, so my “grade†will be determined by the % of bodyweight training days I complete during this 6-week challenge.

Attribute Points: +2 STR

3. Eat 9,300 Calories per Week! I will use MyFitnessPal to keep track of my calories over the next 6 weeks. My goal is to eat 1,300cal/day on weekdays and 1,400cal/day on weekends, for an average of 9,300cal/week. (I will not be tracking my exercise on MFP, so any calories I burn from activities would be subtracted from the calories listed above.)

I’m going to grade myself on how many weeks, out of 6, I managed to eat 9,300cal or less. Each successful week will earn one of the attribute points listed below.
Attribute Points: +3 CON, +3 CHA

Life Goal: Save $100 a Week. I need to create a budget that will allow me to make all of my regular payments and run all of my regular errands, while still having enough to put $100 into my savings account each week. This will mean paying attention to my expenses and not spending money on frivolous things!

I will grade myself on the % of $600 I’m able to put away into savings in 6 weeks.
Attribute Points: +2 WIS

On a final note, I'll be celebrating my 29th birthday during this challenge! WOO! I want to make this last year in my “20â€s EPIC! This challenge is a great way to start!

Human Companion - Adventurer - Lvl 2
| STR 1 | DEX 5 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 7 |
If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

7/29:

Calories: 1262

Training: Body Weight Circuit (1/12)

Comments: The body weight workout, which I've never tried before, made me huff and puff and sweat like a pig. I have a considerable amount of endurance with all the running I do and I hardly ever sweat anymore, so I was surprised that this workout kicked my butt so much! 

Life Quest: I set up a checkbook yesterday that I can use to hand-write all of my expenses. I wrote down and added up all of my bills and weekly, necessary expenses. It helped to see it all in black and white in front of me. It looks like I'll be able to save $100 a week and still pay off my credit card, pay all bills, and pay for family expenses (and still have $80/week leftover).

If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Love your goals, I'm also coming from near 300 (263lbs in 2009 and more recently have been hovering between 225-235). Great to see someone else on the same journey, amazed at your progress so far. I was going to do the Bodyweight Circuit, but instead opted to get the Rebel Fitness Guide and follow that, it's less bodyweight centric, which does make me sad, but the workouts have really been kicking my butt so far. Looking forward to seeing how you pull this one out. Good Luck!

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Like those goals, too. And as I always like to give advice: Try paleo ;). I once started with couting calories but gave that up in the end because I found that too frustrating and I was always hungry. Since I started paleo, I can eat as much as I want to and still loose weight. You're sure gonna crack that last 35 pounds ;). Kick ass!

7/30:

Calories: 1245 (2507/9300)

Training: 2.5 Run (1/18)

Comments: I am really sore from the body weight circuit I did on Monday. It's painful to move my body at all, so running was a challenge and definitely threw me off. I have to do the body weight exercises again tomorrow... I'm hoping I feel less sore by then. Today's activity will be a 30 minute bike ride. 

Forum Advice: "Go Paleo!" Yes, I would love to...and I plan to, eventually. I've tried to this past year and I ended up spending a lot of extra money, because my husband and little boy are the pickiest eaters on the planet! They definitely don't want to go paleo! My husband doesn't care for much meat and doesn't eat vegetables or nuts ("doesn't" = refuses), and my little boy is the same. I ended up buying double groceries and cooking double meals... not fun or practical. Hopefully my Life Goal of saving money will allow me the flexibility in the future to spend more on groceries to make the whole family happy. I really like counting calories, for now, because I find my main problem is not the health factor of the foods I choose but the QUANTITY of what I eat. Counting keeps my massive appetite in check. That being said, I DO pick paleo choices when I can (I LOVEEEE vegetables), like in restaurants. 

When will my quads heal?! Why do they feel like they've been ripped apart after a few squats?! AHHHH!

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Being healthy when those around you aren't willing to can be tough, and sometimes can make/break an attempt, here's hoping that their reluctance to eat good foods won't bring you down. However there's always ways to get someone into vegetables, it's all about finding the gateway vegetable that gets them into it.

Being sore does suck, but it just means your muscles are growing, just as long as it's just soreness and not full out pain you should still be fine. I found working out through the soreness actually helped, so you can always try that just be careful about pushing yourself too hard.

4.44%
4.44%

7/31:

Calories: 1290 (3797/9300)

Training: 30 minute bike ride

Comments: I never realized how boring a bike ride can be when you HAVE to bike for a certain amount of time. I biked my normal running route and was done after 7 minutes (how depressing). I had 23 more minutes to go and no idea where to go! So I biked around my neighborhood, randomly, but the scenery wasn't interesting and all I wanted to do was go home and eat. I passed my house after 20 minutes and it took MOUNTAINS OF WILLPOWER not to cut my bike ride short and shovel food into my mouth. I decided to bike my running path again and made a couple loops until I had reaching my 30 minutes. Man... Friday is a 40 minute bike ride. FORTY MINUTES. I better plan out my route better so I don't go crazy. It also didn't help that my iPod ran out of batteries 3 minutes into the bike ride.

Soreness Update: I'm not sore anymore! YAYAYAY! And just in time for another round of body weight exercises tonight...

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Yeah things like biking and walking can very easily get boring if you don't have a scenic area, music, or a partner. Still you managed to pull it through, so good on you.

4.44%
4.44%

When I got back to this challenge I got really sore after my first workout.  I also forgot to stretch afterwards.  So I make sure I get a decent warmup, and stretch afterwards.  Eventually the big soreness goes away.  You still get sore, but it doesn't seem as horrible :)

8/1:

Calories: 1245 (5042/9300)

Training: 2 mile run (2/18) + Body Weight Circuit (2/12) + AN EXTRA 2 miles! WOOO!

Comments: I decided to head downtown for my run, since it's only a mile away from my house, and therefore would make for a great 2 mile run... only it's not 1 mile from my house. It's 2 miles from my house. OOPS! So I did 4 miles instead of 2 miles. Haha. Oh well. I'm sure it won't RUIN my training.

And I ALMOST forgot to do the body weight circuit. I was IN bed. It was late. I was tired. And then I remembered. UGHHHHHHH. It took everything in me to DRAGGGG myself out of bed, trudge through a dark, sleeping house, and fill my milk jug with water. But I did it! YAY! And I'm glad I did. :)

Life Goal: $100 saved! (1/6)

Additional Comments: Well it took 3 days of being hungry, miserable, and in pain, but yesterday I felt GREAT (and I feel great today, too). I felt like my clothes fit better, I wasn't bloated, no headache, no soreness, and I wasn't a ravenous zombie all day! Energy was BURSTING out of my body.

I am feeling really optimistic.

Oh, and you know my husband, the picky, non-vegetable eater? Well last night I slow-cooked a DELICIOUS vegetable stew and sneakily served it to him. He said he liked it and just as I was about to say, "HAH! Well it's all vegetables! You just admitted to liking a meal that's 100% vegetables! VICTORY!" he had an allergic reaction to something in the stew, maybe one of the spices. So instead of getting to serve up a victory rant, HE got to say, "See?! I'm ALLERGIC TO VEGETABLES!" 

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Hey, about paleo and partners: My fiancée doesn't want to eat paleo, either, and he thinks it's just crap ;). So most of the time I am cooking meals like some meat with vegetables and potatoes or rice for example and then let me fiancée eat the rice. I always try to make meals that we both can eat by eliminating some part of the meal for myself. Perhaps that helps you?

@Sir Hammerlock: Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I think I'm going to try doing more of that. I just wish he could suck it up and enjoy the tasty, healthy meals I'm making. He needs to retrain his taste buds.

And I noticed that the three people who have commented on my thread are all from  Rogue Squadron! You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. I think you might have a new member next challenge. ;)

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

We're just awesome people I guess! 80D

Great to hear that everything is going well with the exercise, sucks that your Husband is alergic to vegetables 80P. I'm sure you can find other sneaky ways in there, maybe some mashed cauliflower? You can disguise that as mashed potatoes pretty easily, just gotta figure out what he was allergic to and make sure it's not one of the spices you use. Though I imagine some clarified butter/ghee would help.

4.44%
4.44%

I use to try to say I was allergic to vegetable too ;) haha

When I first mention paleo style eating my wife didn't want any real part of that either.  I've been working on looking up recipes that will satisfy both of us.  I am doing Whole 30, and she is just following weight watchers plan on her phone.

8/2:

Calories: 1365 (6407/9300)

Training: REST DAY!

Comments: My mom came over for a day of fun and food, so OF COURSE I went over my 1300 cal goal. I mean, we had Starbucks, Panera, and pizza so I'm pretty proud that I only went 65 over! Besides, I've been under my 1300 goal all week so I had enough calories left over to make up for it (I'm grading based on a weekly total, not daily).

I do find it curious that it was on my REST DAY that I went over with calories. Does exercise suppress appetite?

Additional Comments: I completed an unofficial side quest yesterday - Cleaning out my car! I had garbage and stuff in there that was 4 years old. It was like an episode of Horders. My mom helped me clean it all out and now it feels like I have a brand new car!

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

I do find it curious that it was on my REST DAY that I went over with calories. Does exercise suppress appetite?

Short answer is pretty much Yes. As long as you have the nutrition your body needs it won't really ask for anything more after you exercise, I'm sure there's plenty of mental stuff involved as well. Hopefully next time you'll start to focus on what those calories come from, they're not always treated the same within the body so just be mindful of that as you proceed forward. Either way you seem to be kicking ass, so that's awesome.

4.44%
4.44%

Pretty good rest day :)  

A few months ago I had cleaned out my car since it was full of trash and stuff too.  It did feel liek a new car almost.  Then someone used it, and left there trash in there when I got it back.  I was really angry with them.  It's clean now though still.

Additional Comments: I completed an unofficial side quest yesterday - Cleaning out my car! I had garbage and stuff in there that was 4 years old. It was like an episode of Horders. My mom helped me clean it all out and now it feels like I have a brand new car!

Yeah, I know that feeling :). That is the best of cleaning something up, the nice feeling you have afterwards ;)

8/3:

Calories: 1685 (8092/9300) WARNING! Must eat 1208 calories or less on Sunday to obtain goal of 9300 cal/week!

Training: 40 minute bike ride (+7 minutes extra for "fun")

Comments: Ate great all day, took a long bike ride, felt "super-de-duper" and then our dinner got delayed by 2 hours. I was STARVING. The parents-in-law wanted to go out to eat, so, combined with my hunger and being surrounded by delicious options, I ended up eating a 785 cal dinner. But all is NOT lost. I am going to eat clean and light tomorrow and reach my goal! 

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Picking yourself back up after a bit of a bad day is one of the most important things you can do, don't let the little slips get you down, that'll only end up causing more and more. Getting past it without too much concern is a great way to keep it going. Good Luck tomorrow!

4.44%
4.44%

8/4:

Calories: 1195 (9287/9300)

Training: 3 mile run (3/18) 

Week One Recap:

(1.) & (2.) Follow 10k training program & do 2 body weight training days per week: Did 2 body weight days, 3 runs, and 2 cross training days - 100% successful!

(3.) Eat 9300 calories, or less, each week: Ate 9287 calories - 100% successful!

(4.) Save $100 per week: $100 in the bank - 100% successful!

Additional Comments: Down 2 lbs! Will take measurements tomorrow...

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Woot, way to go so far. Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see how you're measurements are.

4.44%
4.44%

8/5:

Calories: 1320

Training: Body Weight Circuit (3/12) + 2 miles just for fun

Comments: I decided to add another round to the body weight circuit to push myself a little more. I was definitely a sweaty mess!

I actually ate out at restaurants for ALL 3 MEALS yesterday. I think I did pretty well with calories and picked the healthiest options I could at each place. :)

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Measurement Update: Week 1

According to measurements taken this morning, I have lost 5.25 inches from the 13 places I measure!

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines