• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Talia

Talia's Quest to Run the TC Marathon v2.0

Wow - a new challenge is upon us! Well here goes...

The Main Quest

I'm running the Twin Cities Marathon on Oct 7 and my goal is simply to cross the finish line.

Goal 1

Total compliance to my training plan.

I commissioned Jason over at Strength Running for a customized training plan to help me get to the marathon. I'm a little behind overall in my training due to some setbacks early on, so these next two months have to be extremely focused in order for me to be ready for this race. I'm also adding some morning stretching/core stuff to my schedule to help combat how stiff I tend to be first thing in the morning. Its not on the plan but I'm just going to do it each morning.

Goal 2

I must follow my diet plan and take all my supplements.

I started working with a nutritionist to help me deal with some issues last challenge. That's going really well, but the plan involves a lot of prep work and discipline. Now that I'm through the learning curve there is no excuse for me not to be 100% compliant! The plan is:

Meals

Protein - 4oz at breakfast, 5 oz at lunch and dinner.

Carb - 2 cup of green veggies + 1/2 c carb veggies or 1 grain/bean serving,

Fat - 1 servings (which would be like 1/2 an avocado or 2tbl butter or some olives or nuts, etc)

Snacks

2oz protein, 1 carb serving, 1 fat serving

Bedtime Snack

1/2c fruit with 1 serving fat

So the schedule is Breakfast - Snack - Lunch - Snack - Dinner - Bedtime snack. I can also add an additional snack protein shake right after workouts on those days.

I will accomplish this by spending Sunday afternoons pre-preparing meals for the week using a meal plan. This way I can be sure I always have foods that are diet compliant ready to go.

Goal 3

I will get 9 hours of sleep per night from 9:30pm to 6:30am.

I have struggled with my schedule and when to workout. I worked hard to get into a morning workout habit early on, but this is just not working because I need more time to complete my current training workouts. After work is better, but I've struggled to give up the morning routine. I thought I could do a small morning workout and then my afternoon ones and that didn't work. I just exhausted myself. So I've given up the ghost. This now means a *new* schedule. I need to get a lot more sleep now that I'm working out so much and this needs to be a priority.

What's Your Motivation?

My motivation for this goal is to finally mark one thing off my IMPOSSIBLE list. I will no longer be someone who says "it would be so cool to be in shape enough to be able to run a marathon". I've signed up for this race 2 other times and really never even got off the ground with training. This time - I'm doing it. Historically I've sucked at follow through and making the hard changes last long term. This whole process is my metamorphosis to change that. I don't want to be the person who has grand ideas and never makes them happen, so I'm making them happen.

• Like 1

Great challenge.  I love the advice from strength running so I bet he made a good training plan for you.  Good luck on the training!

• Like 1

Great challenge.  I love the advice from strength running so I bet he made a good training plan for you.  Good luck on the training!

Thanks! Its been an excellent plan so far and I'm starting to feel better about the timeline!

subbed. ^_^ You've got a LOT on your plate, but I think you'll do great! Solid goals, m'lady!

*picks up her pom-poms* GO TALIA GO!! :D

Thank you! I'm so glad to see you! I missed you terribly last challenge :) It IS a lot - but its also very doable if I focus focus focus! As Brute said last challenge - this is a good thing for me! Either I commit whole heartedly or it won't happen - do or die kind of thing. I had a serious talk with myself the last week of last challenge because I seriously wanted to give up. I (literally) told myself that if I can't run this race, it won't be because I didn't do the next two months worth of training. If I can't run it, it will be because I DID do ALL the training and still wasn't ready. I can do this... I just have to really want it.

Ok - now that I've been through everyone else's threads I'll get a real update on mine...

Monday run was good - uneventful really. My stretching/warm up stuff is finally starting to be easy and I don't have to look at the cheat sheet every time. I feel darn good and that's what really matters. Diet yesterday didn't go as well... but it wasn't awful either. I was gone last weekend so I don't have much pre-prepped which screws up my whole week. I threw together a lunch of grilled chicken and veggies, and two paleo bars as snacks. It wasn't as complete as I'd like, but at least it was home cooked! For dinner I made shepards pie and that turned out fantastically - plus its a big pan so I'll have meals for the rest of the week! Went to bed at 9:30 last night and got up at 6:30 this morning so success on that! Only thing that I didn't do yesterday was take my supplements. There are a bunch and I really suck at this - so I need to get my stuff together and just do it - I feel better when I do...

Today off to a good start - made breakfast and had leftovers for lunch. Nutrition class is tonight so its my one night per week dinner out allowance. I'm going to chipotle! Today is a rest day because I'm gone all evening.

I get a lot out of reading others' goals and learn a lot.  I like your goals and you have the laid out nicely.  I especially like your sleeping goal.  I often don't get my requisite sleep that is needed.  I have a fitbit now though and since it tracks my sleep it makes me more conscious of it.

I also like your plan to prepare the meals for the week.  Much easier to keep with your commitments.

Great goals and great write up.

Finally an update! My work computer crashed early last week - SO I've been literally off the grid during the day while we got new stuff, restored files, etc...

So I'm kinda on track and kinda not... its frustrating. The back pain has made a comeback and kept me from running much at all the week before last... last week was better but I still had to make modifications to get through the runs. (shorter and on the treadmill) I'm starting to freak out! I'm feeling incrimentally better today so I'll go running tonight and see how it goes. Sadly there's nothing much to do but soldier through the pain and make it work. The glimmer of positive is that aside from the back pain I'm starting to feel the ease in running - the conditioning is there and I feel great during the run!

Sleep goal is going awesome! I've only had one late night last week - otherwise I've been right on track! Food goal is going well too - I was a little off last week since I ended up scheduling a bunch of offsite meetings to make the most of my down time, but I made the best choices possible at each lunch out so score 1 for new habits! :)

Right now I'm feeling overwhelmed and a little defeated and I keep trying to tell myself that giving up is not the answer.... ARGH!

I would argue that giving up IS the answer.

Give up considering anything but total victory.  Give up doubt.  Give up weakness.  Give up anything that does not get you closer to your goal.

The back pain haunts you.  I understand that, I have a knee thing, and I am not suggesting that you do things to hurt yourself.  But if you do everything that you possibly can, not just the things that are relatively easy, but everything in your power, then you will be fine.  You will have won.

BRUTE! Its good to see your smiling face around here :) Thank you for your words - they always make me feel better. The back pain does haunt me... but it does not define me. I've learned these past couple months that I CAN push through it and that's been a great lesson.

I'm having a better day today... Great run last night - even with the back pain I felt really good.... I FELT like a runner instead of someone who runs... if that makes any sense at all! Wish my speed was picking up faster since my races are looming... but I'm just putting in the work and we'll see what happens. The GREAT NEWS today is that I am mostly pain free this morning!!! Not sure why this shit comes and goes so quickly, but I'm grateful none the less. Perhaps tomorrows run can be off the treadmill!! Today is supposed to be a rest day but I may try to hit the pool for some makeup cardio time. 1/2 Marathon is at the end of this month so I've got to get my speeds up to fnish in 3 hours - if I can do that I think I'll be able to get through the marathon in 6hrs 5 weeks later....

Work the plan... Work the plan... Work the plan... I'm NOT going to give up on these goals... worst that can happen is I get to the marathon, start and can't finish... which won't kill me and just means I'll have to work harder to hit that goal next spring. I think for me this struggle has FINALLY gotten me to the point where I've cemented that this isn't just a "thing" I'm doing - being fit and healthy and working out and doing impossible things is now the rest of my life... so its not an ending or a failure if things don't go perfectly all the damn time... *end rant*

Food and sleep are going very well! Its amazing how good I feel when I take care of myself lol.

So quick update. Not much to report really... running running and more running. I'm feeling awesome but I'm starting to mentally prepare for the possibility that I'm not going to be ready to run the marathon. I'm still pushing forward and things a so good, my training is starting to feel good instead of feeling like I'm dying ;) I am really really struggling with my long run distances. I'm just  not there - and I can't seem to get there. I know I lost a lot of base building with some of the other issues I've had to work through during the last 8 months and I may just have to face the fact that I'm too far behind to safely get there in time. I'm not making that decision yet ... on Oct 1 I'll decide where I'm at and if I feel its safe for me to try and run the marathon. I'm more concerned right now about the 1/2 I'm supposed to run in a week.... The longest long run I can get in is about 10 miles... NOT nearly enough. I can fall back at that race to a 10K but I won't decide until the day before if I'm going to do that. I'm starting to realize that this is not something I'm "just doing" and over training to try and be ready only to injure myself is not a good idea. I can always register for more races and keep training until I get to where I want to be!

It does feel great to finally be training in way that feels great and productive and like I'm progressing! I had so many setbacks early on and to finally have worked out the kinks and be clicking along is great. I'm trying to see this as a WIN for my progress and not the potential to fail yet again at running this marathon...

You sound like you have your head on straight.  Don't hurt your self for a goal.  Sometimes we have to learn from some setbacks and attack again.  Whatever you decide good luck - I am sure you will make the right choice.

I would say, if you really cannot do the marathon come Oct 1, find another to sign up for.  Don't lose the goal, just modify the date.  If you think you can do it, even if it is a little stretch, I say do it.  But I am all jacked up from lifting this morning and drinking coffee.....SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway...hurting yourself is not a goal, so don't.  Let me rephrase that in a positive mental phrasology....The goal is to be healthy.  So do what it takes to stay healthy!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support and encouragement!

I'm certainly not giving up on the marathon goal! I will run Grandma's in the spring and try for this one again next fall if I can't do it. I'm seriously toying with the idea of starting it no matter what - and if I can't finish I can't finish but at least I put in the effort.

I'm still putting in the work as if I AM going to run and I'll decide later if its not been enough. HEALTHY matters and I don't want to hurt myself - but I'm definitely going to put in some serious work to make it happen!

I have to really look at the positives of this journey and how far I've come. This isn't about a marathon - its about me getting my health back and its been a long road - but I'm finally on the good side of it :)

I'm seriously toying with the idea of starting it no matter what - and if I can't finish I can't finish but at least I put in the effort.

Dooo iiiit!!! :D

Sorry to hear about your back pain. I know how debilitating that can be, but so SO good to see you pushing past it!! You're doing so well -- can't turn back now. ;)  I totally second what Brute said about Giving Up -- just gotta give up the right (bad/negative) things!!

Go Talia Go!! :D

Thanks guys - we shall see how the next month goes. I had more pain this weekend so I missed yet another long run. This is becoming a problem. Onward I guess...

Otherwise last week went really well - I got my runs in and felt great! My speed is picking up which is really important. Last week was finals for school and those went well. I'm off this week and then new classes start on the 2nd and they will be my last 2 classes for this degree! WOOHOO! Things have been incredibly stressful and I've taken on a lot more than I should have ;)

Its horribly hot here this week and I'm stressed about the race this weekend. Given everything I may be doing the 10K just to be sure that I don't end up with heatstroke. For all my training I'm still very heat sensitive.

I'm already working on a long term plan to continue my marathon goal - one that is spread out over the next year and has more races in it!

The pain continues... went to the Dr. Again, to mostly complain that no one seems to have any idea why I have random bouts of debilitating sciatica pain on my right side. Couldn't see my normal Doc on short notice so I saw one of the others. She was AMAZINGLY helpful. New working theory on the source of the pain... endometriosis. No one has considered this so far! Most women have other symptoms too - I don't - but she seems to think it explains the cyclical nature of the pain bouts and the exact location.  It explains my weird symptoms according to her - but the only way to know for sure is exploratory surgury, so we're progressing cautiously. I go back in two weeks for some tests to rule out other possibly issues and then we'll decide what to do. I'll know more after that. Honestly the pain has been a huge factor in me not being able to run/workout as much as I'd like so if we could find a cause and resolve it my life would get so much better! Not that I want to have surgury.... but at this point I may do anything to deal with the pain so I can progress to my goals. I've made an appointment with my nutritionist for Friday to discuss this with her - I'm curious what she will think of the developments. I don't see my accupuncturist until the 13th but I'll discuss it with him too.

Anyway - Tues is rest day and I have a run tonight. We shall see how it goes - I'm gonna give it a go even with the back pain. I do find if I can soldier through the pain I feel better faster. I'm between classes this week which is so nice - I needed a break. Last two classes for this degree start Monday!!!! Half Marathon is supposed to be Sat but I think I've decided at this point to only do the 10K... the pain has cemented that but also its going to be like 100 deg here Sat and heat is not my friend.  

Finally an update!

Met with my nutritionist on Friday and had an excellent consultation. She is recommending some additional supplements and for me to go ahead with surgury. I felt better about things after talking with her. I

Ran the  10K on Saturday - it went ok. Still has some back pain from last week and it steadily got worse during the race. I did finish and I'm proud of that, but the experience cemented the fact that I need to dial things back and figure out whats going on if I'm going to ever hope to run long distance races. This made for a depressing weekend as I mourned yet another failed attempt at the marathon and tried to tell myself I am not a total failure. Before you judge me  - I KNOW its not a failure, just a setback and I KNOW that I need to be healthy first, and I KNOW that if I hadn't been training I wouldn't have made all the advances I have made that are awesome... but I still FEEL like its a failure and that makes me sad.

Sunday I spent the entire day out at a park working on the final details of a volunteer event I'm coordinating on Saturday. I was kinda sore, but not really, since I didn't work that hard on Sat (the back pain kept me from pushing it at all) and it felt nice to be outside in cool beautiful weather. I did some foam rolling and stretching, but that's it. Back pain is still necessitating pain meds every 4 hours... not cool.

Monday I skipped the gym and spent the entire day deep cleaning/re-arranging/organizing my house! It felt so good to give everything the once over, plus it was good for my muscles to move in ways they don't usually.Back pain still hanging on and starting to drive me bonkers.

Tuesday back to work - normal hours and my usual schedule! Finally feeling kind of normal, except for the lack of sleep that comes with chronic pain. No gym - just stretching and foam rolling. Evening was my last nutrition class, which was kind of sad! I really enjoyed it for the last 12 weeks!

Today - up on time but too much pain to go to the gym again this morning. I'm going to try and go for a walk/jog tonight. I did stretch and foam roll, that helped. Thank goodness for tylenol! On a good note my last two classes started and it looks like it will be a fun 8 weeks!

Well that's the latest - not much to report and certainly not the big wins I was hoping for as we enter the last week of this challenge.

This is not the time for a pump up speech.  I totally get the sad.  However, I don't like the term "failure" as you said you know it really isn't.  What it is in reality is a major disappointment.  You had goals, you worked for them, and could not due what you set out to do.  It doesn't matter that it was beyond your control as far as how you feel about it.  So feeling sad is okay.  JUST DON'T DWELL!

Side note:  I think a major problem in our society today is the fact that for some reason (I suspect TV advertisement) people think that to ever feel sad is a bad thing.  It is not.  It is healthy to feel sad at the appropriate time.  It is not healthy to embrace that sadness and hold on to it.  So feel sad, and then pick yourself up and keep going.

However you did do the 10k and I am proud of you for that.  You are still in the middle of your Karate Kid moment.  The point where you can alter your strategy based on what you can do and train appropriately.  You are still in the middle of the adventure.  You are at the point where Samwise and Frodo are out of food, betrayed by Golem, and feel they have no way to get the ring to Mordor.  But you will.  This is the point where you do the little things that get you there.  All the little things matter more right now.  So go take care of them.

OH and a big hug.