E-cigarettes?

So I'm a pretty heavy smoker, have been for about five years now. I really want to live a healthier lifestyle, I've started getting healthier and exercising but it's time to tackle one of my biggest problems. I've not seriously considered quitting smoking before but since I've started exercising the pain/aches in my lungs have become much more noticeable and as I'm only 19 so this was quite a scary realisation. I'm hoping to get prepared to be able to put quit smoking as my life quest on the next 6 week challenge.

I have a vapestick, a version of this - http://www.vapestick.co.uk/vapestick-xl.html

I liked it and thought I could get used to it but a huge problem for me is I don't feel as though it produces enough vapour, I don't get the 'hit' to the back of my throat like with a real cigarette and therefore it doesn't feel enough like smoking. I don't know why but it also bothers me if I can't see enough vapour when I breath out (weird smoking psychology)

Can anyone recommend an e-cig that produces a thicker/larger vapour? Or would you not recommend one at all? Has one worked for you?

Echo

Ps. Sorry for putting this topic in gear but its technically a health aid and I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I just ordered one specifically because it produces more vapor.  I JUST smoked my last real cigarette (goal is to switch to e-cigarette and be down to zero nicotine by the end of THIS challenge), so I'm stuck with my BLU unitl it arrives.

Here is the link.  It should arrive today.  I'll get back to you on quality :)

http://www.greensmoke.com/electroniccigarettes/

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

I don't personally have a recommendation about an e-cigarette, but I do think it can be very beneficial to use.  A good friend of mine had one a few months ago that he was using religiously, and now he's gotten himself completely off of cigarettes.  I know for some people it would work to stop everything, but for him it definitely helped switching to the e-cigarette first.

Best of luck to you! This is one of the best decisions you can make for yourself and we're all here to support you!

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

As someone coming up on their year mark of having quit, I did use an e-cig towards the end. The brand I used was called V2 and I got they're "manual" stick which lets you press the button to release vapor for as long/short as you like.

To get there though I kind of weaned myself off of cigarettes by making it super inconvenient. I quit buying cigs and started smoking either black and milds or cigarillos. I didn't care for them that much because they weren't as smooth as a cigarette but they got the job done. They also took about 10 minutes to finish one which meant no stepping out for a 2 minute quick burn. Once I'd drifted away from smoking for a while I'd had a relapse and started to come back again so I took the inconvenience up a notch and got a pipe. Now I don't know if you've ever smoked a pipe but for someone starting out it was a huge hassle haha, and if you did it right the thing would burn for upwards of 20 minutes. This coupled with the ridiculousness of smoking a pipe in a smoke pit with a bunch of people just smoking cigarettes was enough for me to give it up haha. By the time I'd made it to the pipe I wasn't even concerned about cigarettes. It was enough that I had to schedule "pipe breaks" to make it really inconvenient and coupled with the embarrassment I felt smoking that thing in front of a bunch of "normal" smokers was enough for me to finally give it up once and for all.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I like to share my methods with people I know who are trying to quit.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

I just ordered one specifically because it produces more vapor.  I JUST smoked my last real cigarette (goal is to switch to e-cigarette and be down to zero nicotine by the end of THIS challenge), so I'm stuck with my BLU unitl it arrives.

Here is the link.  It should arrive today.  I'll get back to you on quality :)

http://www.greensmoke.com/electroniccigarettes/

This is the one my bf got. He weaned off the real thing in 3 days, I'm looking for mine (I bought it years ago) to see if it would still work. He's not sure if he will come off the nicotine completely, at least for a while, but he has had a deep lingering cough for over a month now. He needed to try something. He's also a thorough researcher whenever he tries anything new, and the greensmokes were the ones he thought best.

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

This is the one my bf got. He weaned off the real thing in 3 days, I'm looking for mine (I bought it years ago) to see if it would still work. He's not sure if he will come off the nicotine completely, at least for a while, but he has had a deep lingering cough for over a month now. He needed to try something. He's also a thorough researcher whenever he tries anything new, and the greensmokes were the ones he thought best.

I've been smoking for 36 years.  I started when I was 12.  My husband and I have agreed that if I need to inhale steam for the rest of my life, that would work, but personally, I want to get rid of the nicotine.  If I'm going to the trouble to get rid of sugar, and carbs and managing all my micronutrients, sort of doesn't make sense to leave the nicotine in.  Thank God I get to keep my coffee.

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Kangertech is good for a tank, and I recommend getting a battery with a variable voltage meter, so that you can change the voltage for different juices. You can get different flavored juices, and ones with different amounts of nicotine.  

However, this is a replacement.  Don't think of this as a way to quit smoking.  You might be able to slowly wean yourself off of it, but all you're really doing is replacing one expensive, unhealthy habit with a slightly cheaper and less unhealthy habit.

That said, I love my vape.  I went from smoking about a pack a day, to not at all for over a month.  I have recently fallen off the wagon with this though, so one of my goals is no more smoking, including bumming from friends.

SmashingPixie

>>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<<

Level 1 ~ Ambling Asguardian Assassin

STR 1 - DEX 1- STA 1 - CON 3 - WIS 3 - CHA 3

TO THE PAIN!

"We are what we pretend to be,

so we must be careful what

we pretend to be."

~ Vonnegut ~

http://kingpinecigs.com/collections/e-cigarette-kits/products/hitman-ev-ego-passthrough-vivi-kit

This is what my dad uses, you can mix your own liquid and put in however much nicotine you want. It's a "press the button" type so you can get as much vapor as you like. I use it too without nicotine simply because it tastes pretty damn good... have butter cream in mine right now.

He also was a pack a day smoker, that went through 2 heart attacks and still couldn't quit, this has helped him out a ton.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Kangertech is good for a tank, and I recommend getting a battery with a variable voltage meter, so that you can change the voltage for different juices. You can get different flavored juices, and ones with different amounts of nicotine.  

However, this is a replacement.  Don't think of this as a way to quit smoking.  You might be able to slowly wean yourself off of it, but all you're really doing is replacing one expensive, unhealthy habit with a slightly cheaper and less unhealthy habit.

That said, I love my vape.  I went from smoking about a pack a day, to not at all for over a month.  I have recently fallen off the wagon with this though, so one of my goals is no more smoking, including bumming from friends.

Replacing works for me right now ;) I've always been able to get through the three day nicotine withdrawal. It's the ACT of smoking I miss.

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Replacing works for me right now ;) I've always been able to get through the three day nicotine withdrawal. It's the ACT of smoking I miss.

same thing for me, I dont know why but I don't feel as though I need it as much as I want it and actually like smoking. So I'm kind of looking for a way to get rid of the health implications but still smoke... (A girl can dream lol)

Thanks for the responses everyone, at the moment both green smoke and V2 are interesting me greatly after some research. Wideeyed I look forward to you saying how it goes with greensmoke :) and good luck!

Hero, A pipe?! You really made things difficult for yourself there ha.

For what it's worth, the Greensmoke one is on Groupon today and so is the Atmos Rx that my bf uses and likes.  I know with the Atmos, you can choose different liquids to put in of different nicotine strengths and flavors.  It allows for cutting back on the amount of nicotine you take in while still vaping as often.  I'm a non-smoker, but this allows my bf to "smoke" without making me sick.. it's a good compromise!  Good luck!

Level 3 | Half-elf | Adventurer

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3

Str 6 | Dex 4| Sta 8 | Con 6 | Wis 8 | Cha 5

I think there are a couple things to take into account when using eCigs (I'm a Blu user, myself).

1. The higher the nicotine content, the more throat hit you'll get (generally speaking). 

2. Despite #1, you'll never get the same feel from eCigs that you get from a real cigarette. It's like fat-free sour cream vs full-fat sour cream:  not nearly as good, but you can get used to it.

Between myself and other friends who have switched to "vaping", we've found that the ones who are most successful are those who don't try to "cut down" on regular cigarettes by supplementing with the eCigs. What tends to happen in those cases is that they smoke just as many real ones and then add in eCigs on top!   Instead, use just the eCig with a high nicotine content and try not to give into the urge to smoke a regular cigarette.  Doing so just reinforces what you're missing with the eCigs.

The high nicotine in the eCig will give you a throat hit and help take the edge off enough to give you time to get used to the fact that it doesn't feel as good as the real thing.  This does take a while! There are a lot of tiny "rituals" associated with smoking that create the experience: pulling out the pack, opening the box, lighting the cigarette, inhaling and feeling that throat hit, exhaling and seeing the smoke, flicking the ash off, etc. The more of those rituals that you lose, the more the experience feels "wrong".  So you have to substitute new rituals instead: pulling out the charger pack, screwing in a fresh battery or cartridge, inhaling and feeling the throat hit, exhaling and seeing the vapor, flicking imaginary ash off the eCig ;) etc.

Once you get used to the different feel, you can switch to a lower nicotine content, and the difference is negligible (like the difference between 1% milk and 2% milk). Finally, drop down to 0 nicotine cartridges.  By this time, you'll be used to the feel and taste of eCigs and it won't feel like such a huge weird difference like it does going from real cigs to eCigs initially, and you won't really miss the lack of throat hit.

A lot of people never switch to 0 nicotine. I did because it is a vasoconstrictor -- not as dangerous as everything else in cigs, but not exactly good for you either, so why keep using it if you don't have to?

Hope that makes sense and helps. Good luck!

~ Runner 5 ~ :listening_headphone

"Zombie Response Unit: Locate ~ Decapitate ~ Incinerate"

LEVEL 3 RANGERSTR 7 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Twitter | Blog | Pinterest | Instagram | Fitocracy | Zombies, Run! Profile   

I think there are a couple things to take into account when using eCigs (I'm a Blu user, myself).

1. The higher the nicotine content, the more throat hit you'll get (generally speaking). 

2. Despite #1, you'll never get the same feel from eCigs that you get from a real cigarette. It's like fat-free sour cream vs full-fat sour cream:  not nearly as good, but you can get used to it.

Between myself and other friends who have switched to "vaping", we've found that the ones who are most successful are those who don't try to "cut down" on regular cigarettes by supplementing with the eCigs. What tends to happen in those cases is that they smoke just as many real ones and then add in eCigs on top!   Instead, use just the eCig with a high nicotine content and try not to give into the urge to smoke a regular cigarette.  Doing so just reinforces what you're missing with the eCigs.

The high nicotine in the eCig will give you a throat hit and help take the edge off enough to give you time to get used to the fact that it doesn't feel as good as the real thing.  This does take a while! There are a lot of tiny "rituals" associated with smoking that create the experience: pulling out the pack, opening the box, lighting the cigarette, inhaling and feeling that throat hit, exhaling and seeing the smoke, flicking the ash off, etc. The more of those rituals that you lose, the more the experience feels "wrong".  So you have to substitute new rituals instead: pulling out the charger pack, screwing in a fresh battery or cartridge, inhaling and feeling the throat hit, exhaling and seeing the vapor, flicking imaginary ash off the eCig ;) etc.

Once you get used to the different feel, you can switch to a lower nicotine content, and the difference is negligible (like the difference between 1% milk and 2% milk). Finally, drop down to 0 nicotine cartridges.  By this time, you'll be used to the feel and taste of eCigs and it won't feel like such a huge weird difference like it does going from real cigs to eCigs initially, and you won't really miss the lack of throat hit.

A lot of people never switch to 0 nicotine. I did because it is a vasoconstrictor -- not as dangerous as everything else in cigs, but not exactly good for you either, so why keep using it if you don't have to?

Hope that makes sense and helps. Good luck!

It does, and thank you. So far today, I am doing okay with the Blu disposable I have. I am out of cigarettes, and not buying more. Waiting on the new one, which I ordered with.the step under full and then also the step down from that (I smoked ultra lights, and the first hit on the Blu makes me cough, so I figure it's about right for me). Goal is to go to zero nicotine, because, you know, doing strict Paleo to deal with migraines and fibro and still smoking just seems sort of stupid :)

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

I have an eGo-T. We have about three vape stores right around here. You can go in and try different flavors and the nicotine levels vary. I use a very low nicotine level and when I hit off my husband's I can feel the "hit" you are talking about. He uses 18mg, I think, and mine is 3mg. Some flavors hit different too. My strawberry champage is very light, almost like nothing there. But my others are better. If you have a shop nearby, I'd say check it out and try some different things. Not the bacon. It sounds good in theory, but it is only in theory. My current favorite is green apple jolly rancher.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

Thanks for all the feedback, I've decided to order a v2 cigs starter kit plus, there pretty known for the large amount of vape and you get two batteries in this kit, one which is manual so you have more control with the vapor and the other automatic. Ill let you all know what it's like and how I get on with it.

This seems like pretty solid logic so I will try to switch completely to the vape :)

Thanks

So the Green Smoke arrived today.  It's okay.  It's not smoking, and I'm feeling it.  Right about now, I really, really want to eat the whole jar of natural peanut butter sitting in the fridge.  Going to bed super early might be an acceptable alternative. 

I'm doing this.  I am definitely doing this. No. More. Cigarettes. 

Now pardon me while I go crawl into bed and cry.

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

You can do it! Granted, when I quit from my mom's second hand smoke, I had to use the patches... but after I got past the migraines from the lack, I did better. Good luck guys!!!

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Hey all,

I used to be a smoker for a total of 11-12 years and that being only 30 years of age yet. I have and had exactly three periods of time where I didn't smoke at all. That was before the age of 16, about 2 years between the age of 24 and 26 and now for the last 5 months. I am aware that I will never stop having occasional cravings. Blabla, I cut to the case:

For the tobacco industry e-cigarettes are nothing more than a temporal compensation for the fading interest in their traditional products - that being dried plants with nicotine in it. It follows so much of the principles of modern marketing that it just makes me wanna scream. Yes, you don't burn paper and plants while "smoking", yes, you don't have the smelly yellow fingers anymore and, yes, they promote it as being more healthy and a way out. But here's the kicker: You have a nicotine addiction and what you consume is still nicotine with a different label. 

You are a rebel so you would agree that, when it comes to food, you have to see through all that marketing and realize what is healthy food and what is not. So I'd advise you to see that an e-cigarette is only a cigarette with an "e-" at the beginning. "E-Go-T" and "Green Apple Jolly Rancher". Very funky.

It's all on Nerd Fitness. It is about habit understanding and reprogramming, making yourself aware of what you consume, when you consume, why you consume. Stopping smoking is 90% head and 10% physical. There is no such thing as "cold turkey ex-smoker pains". 

I suggest two books instead. Most probably as expensive as an e-cig. "The power of habit" by Charles Duhigg and "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. The first one will teach you about habits, how they work and how to reprogram, the other one why putting on weight through smoking is a myth and 1001 other myths. The latter is also basically a easy-to-use habit reprogramming course in book format. 

I believe that people using E-Cigarettes stopped smoking for good because they changed habits - not because the E-Cigarette is a way out. Why would the tobacco industry sell you something that makes you stop smoking? 

-- Don't panic!

Marvin, e cigarettes sell some cartridges with nicotine and some without, so the intention is to cut down to using the e cigarette without any nicotine whatsoever. Then your habit will merely be smoking water vapour, I personally would prefer to have the habit but with no health implications. Where as others may prefer to kick the habit completely.

I started on a V2 manual and bought some extra batteries through Halo. Halo has the best cartomizers and their tobacco flavors are awesome. I'me 7 weeks out having switched to vaping. I had a real cigarette a little over a week out, and OH MY GOD. They taste terrible, like REALLY bad. Just force yourself to use it for a few days and your urges for the real thing will wane. After a while try one again and it'll really affirm why you are quitting.

Once you're switched over don't be in any rush to quit vaping. Nicotine is fairly harmless in these concentrations and the rest of the mix is completely harmless. No more carcinogens, unknown psychoactives, or tar. Nicotine is used in energy drinks in Japan (Arnold advertised for the company), and has been used as a successful cutting supplement in bodybuilding. Quitting the harmless nicotine too soon almost certainly ensures going back to the real thing eventually.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

@EchoWolf: I see your point but when it's about gradually cutting down the nicotine why you don't try to reduce the number of cigarettes gradually? What is the advantage of inhaling vaporized water through some sort of a plastic pen instead? I mean you inhale oxygen all the time. 

For me it was the thought that I need to let go of what came along the act of smoking. But I just did not! I used to smoke every 60-90 minutes at work. It meant to stand up, walk out of my office, go outside, relax, smoke, slowly walk back. In this chain the smoking had the tiniest contribution. It's the same without cigarettes because I still do "the chain" without the smoking. Still relaxed! Same thing with the old "After you've stopped smoking, avoid places where people smoke." Yea, right! I'll just stay in my flat forever.

-- Don't panic!

@EchoWolf: I see your point but when it's about gradually cutting down the nicotine why you don't try to reduce the number of cigarettes gradually? What is the advantage of inhaling vaporized water through some sort of a plastic pen instead? I mean you inhale oxygen all the time. 

For me it was the thought that I need to let go of what came along the act of smoking. But I just did not! I used to smoke every 60-90 minutes at work. It meant to stand up, walk out of my office, go outside, relax, smoke, slowly walk back. In this chain the smoking had the tiniest contribution. It's the same without cigarettes because I still do "the chain" without the smoking. Still relaxed! Same thing with the old "After you've stopped smoking, avoid places where people smoke." Yea, right! I'll just stay in my flat forever.

For me, at least, the concept of "cutting back" is not realistic. I have an addictive personality. I have been sober from booze and other drugs for 20 years. That left me with nicotine, caffeine, and sugar. 6 weeks ago, I gave up sugar and grains. 4 weeks ago, I started exercising. FOR NOW, e cigarettes with a goal of getting to zero nicotine in six weeks are an acceptable crutch. I totally agree with you about the breaks cigarettes represent.

You will have to pry my coffee out of my cold, dead hands.

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

I see. Well, do whatever works for you. I still hope that someday the promotion of e-cigarettes as a healthy "way out" ends. That's not on the agenda of the companies, it is far from healthy (nicotine is still hell of a toxic poison) as long as you don't use it as a bare vaporized-water-inhaler which is barely a way out if you preserve all the smoking habits.

-- Don't panic!