• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loanna

Loanna’s Quest for More Strenght!

“I am standing here, watching hopelesly how the zombie horde approaches the alley I am trapped in. Sure, everything looked fine when I started running away from them. I’m way faster than these rotten zombies, but see...I made this only bad tun here and now I’m trapped.

There is a ladder hanging from the wall of one of the buildings...if only I could reach it and pull myself up! But I can’t. Suddenly, I hear a noise.

- Psst, need some help there?

I take a glance at the stair and I feel ultimate happiness. #ZAP is here! With some help from them I manage to climb to the stairs and now I’m safe, ready to take yet another “adventurous†trip for supplies into the town again.

- Nay - they say- No more scavenging until you get stronger!. We can’t rescue you every time you come here!â€

And thus, I must do something to get some upper body strength and overall stamina. Being a survivor during the zombie mayhem is serious business.

THE MAIN QUEST:

I want to get stronger. In general, I want to be able to move my body weight in every way I can. Be it jumping fences, running around, swimming at decent speed, being able to do handstands without falling. Pulling myself up things... you name it, I want to be able to do it.

In order to achieve such goal, I guess I need to:

1) If you want to get stronger, train for strenght: bodyweight/ strenght workouts 3 times per week. (2 STR, 1 CHA)

A ) 3 intense workouts, awesome!

B ) 2 workouts per week, not bad

C ) Just 1, shameful

F ) None of them! Slacker

2) Run, run for your life. (3 STA)

I downloaded the Zombies, Run! 5k app after hearing all the praise it got from other people at NF. Obviously, now I want to follow the training program and see what I can do with it. So, I’m aiming for some non strenght training that ideally would be...

A ) 3 runs/week: I’ll definitely survive the zombie apocalypse.

B ) 2 runs/week: Better, but really not impressive

C ) 1 run/week: That’s just lame.

F ) Couldn’t run, because I was lazy: Zombie food.

3) Watch what you eat. (3 CON, 2 CHA)

Eat clean. 100% Paleo is going to be the way during the upcoming 6 weeks.

A ) 100% Paleo. I’m the holder of an Iron will, and hotter.

B ) 90 %. Not bad, but still got seduced by ice cream or cold beer.

C ) 80%. Really? I guess I didn’t really needed those muffins. Or ice cream, or beer. Or wine.

F ) Paleo what? I couldn’t care less about getting in shape and now I’m a potato.

Life Side Quest: Scape from the "scientific limbo" (1 CHA, 3 WIS)

To be honest, this is my main quest at the moment: to get my PhD degree and mooove on with life. I really need to get this done in order to be able to apply for a post-doc job, and to close a 4 and ½ years long chapter in my life. So, during the following 6 weeks I need to:

-Submit chapters 3, 4 and 5 of my PhD for correction, plus the General Introduction part.

MOTIVATION:

At first I was just aiming to get stronger. Day to day, I'm involved in potentially dangerous activities that could cause situations of stress and potential injury (scuba diving, surfing, rock climbing, deep-sea fishing for sciendific purposes, moving stuff around in the aquarium facility at work...etc). All those activities would benefit from a bit more strenght, in my opnion. Just to make life safer for those I work and play with.

Also, at some point, I want to get my rescue license back (I think the word in english is...lifeguard), and for that I need to be able to drag someone out of the water.

But overall, I just want to be the best possible "me".

Love the theme and the challenges! I've been hearing a lot about that Zombie app too, if I was ready to try running I'd probably investigate it myself. 100% Paleo can be pretty tough, I'm working my way towards it myself, not sure if I'll ever make it to the full 100% but much props to you if you keep that up. Good Luck!

Hi all!

I've edited the main post to include the stats and to make it cleaner... Now it is as cool as it deserves, hehe.

Nusuth, at the moment I guess I am around 75-80% paleo.

Where I live meat and fish are the most popular things to eat, and pasta and rice are more like emergency foods. However, desserts are also pretty abundant, and all forms of bread are everywhere. Also,  I myself am a big fan of dark beer, and I'm going to miss that very much during this 6 weeks :(

Well, reports from week 1 incoming: Overall it's been a weird week, lots of things going on and getting in the way of my challenge. Got my parents visiting and wanted to spend as much time with them as possible... wich in the end was not so cool because...parents will be parents even if you are 29. 

Day 1. (July 29)

This was a great day. Disastrous challenge wise but great. My best friend, and one of the persons I love the most got her PhD. Okay, so the 3h dissertation was boring as hell but thankfully time flown by. Must've been the excitement of having a friend presenting.

So I skipped the workouts, had lots of champagne and the lunch choice was not the best.

On the other hand, I submitted chapter 3 of my own thesis.

Day 2. (July 30)

Parents were still here and work was moving sloooow. Skipped working out as well but the meal choices were better:

-Green salad and beef steak. (And that'spretty much all I ate that day...because I forgot to have dinner)

Day 3. (July 31)

Okay, parents were leaving early and I was off for a morning dive. Woke up at 7, picked my gear up from the club and headed towards a very ugly coastal city 30 min from where I live.

I'm counting the dive as a strenght training, all the gear was 40 kg heavy more or less. I'm so thankful for the squats performed during the last challenge. 

Also, I discovered I was loaded with extra weight. As I dropped a few pounds (of floating fat) during my 1st challenge I needed less additional weight in my belt... but I forgot to take this into consideration, resulting in me carrying around 2 extra kg of lead. Plus I picked a bottle heavier than the one I normaly use... another 2 extra kg.

Another update, with starting measurements as well to see overall progress.

Height: 169 cm (5'6") 

Weight: 63 Kg (138.9 lbs)

Neck: 32 cm (12.6")

Shoulders: 99 cm (39") 

Bust: 93 cm (36.6")

Waist: 81 cm (32")

Hips: 103 cm (40.7")

Tigh: 57 cm (22.4")

BMI: 22

Body Fat (Crappy scale at home): 22.4%

Day 4. (Aug 1)

I was totally sore from the dive, but I forced myself to go surfing with my brother and a guy Iknow from university. Cool waves, and very intense workout from trying to get back to the wave peak from the shore.

Eating habits: 100% Paleo

Day 5. (Aug 2)

Sometime during the morning I did the warm-up + Bodyweight routine rank one from Steve's Rebel Strenght Guide. I almost died at the push ups, but otherwise was cool, and sweaty.

Also, this was a good day! Loaded all the diving gear in my car (mini-strenght workout) and went for a dive in the evening. No problems carrying everything from the car to the shore, apart from the bruises I'm getting near the hip bone from the weight belt. 

Eating habits: 90% Paleo.

I ate some chocolate that was lurking in my fridge. I guess my mom left it there because it is not the 99% black one I'm used to buy.

Day 6. (Aug 3)

Geocaching hike for 2 hours, not bad but nothing super intense as most of the time I was tryng to make my way trough HUGE ferns and eucaliptus bark.

Also, workout B from the RSG.

Eating habits: 90%.

Milkshakes. There is a lot to say about them. I myself am not a fan of milk, I don't really like the flavour if it is hot or warm, it really needs to be cold for me to drink it. However, there is an adorable old lady that has a couple of cows. Sometimes that incredibly nice lady has spare milk that I buy. That milk is delicious, really awesome and totally great. I love it.

And thus this morning, frozen berries and fresh milk were reunited to make one of the beter milkshakes one can imagine. 

And that...is not paleo.

I should've defined better what "paleo" is, in my mind. I therefore declare *raises hand* that dairy is off the limits and thus no milkshake shall be drank during this challenge. Even if they are made with delicious whole, day-fresh milk. 

Also, I had to get myself a pull-up bar. I have a bamboo twig at home for shoulder stretching. And...since they use bamboo to build scaffolds in Asia I guessed it could work. And it did! You just have to be careful to place your hand near the ends of the twig :)

Hey I really liked the way you graded yourself, really funny! I am doing 100% paleo as well with Whole30, so good luck with it all! Glad your workouts are going well at some point I may need to invest in the rebel strength guide, enjoying the BBW right now though! Hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks KingLeeroy! One has to make life a bit funnier, usually it doesn't take humour into consideration by itself (Except irony. Life loves irony, doesn't it?)

The BWW is a very good one, in my opinion. I mean, just the warm-up gets you already worked out! I would've been using that one, but I wanted something a bit more intense as I have to be in top shape by the end of September 

Why the focus on cutting out dairy?  It seems like you eat (err, drink) it in moderation and farm fresh milk is rich in vitamins!

Also, I love geocaching!  Good work on your goals so far!

Ahh, I'm not specially focused against dairy.

See, I have no problem with fresh milk, it's something I don't get too often and as you say, it's a good thing to drink. However, Ice-creams and cheesecakes and a lot of things that I also love are made with milk, and I don't want my brain to even think that is okay to eat those because "you already said milk was ok, so this is not very different..."

It is indeed a cunning bastard.

Also, reporting in!

Day 7. (Aug 4)

Run, run for your life!

I started to use the Zombies, Run! 5k app, but just the intro. The intro mission was completed as part of a longer walk, 7 km total.

I enjoyed it, the radio transmissions and background noises are really great! However, it was unable to mix my music in since I use a streaming app for that and it's a bit of a downside. I'll have to recover all my pre-streaming music from the HD and upload it to the phone. Gasp!

Found another cache while doing this :D I have convinced a friend to go for the "31 days of Geocaching" thing in August, so I plan to get a lot of moving around hills, cliffs, fern-laden forests and whatnot.

Eating habits: 100% paleo. 

I'm actually proud of this one. Some friends came over for a Pathfinder RP game and they weren't alone! They came with an army of crisps, pringles, sweets and soda marching along. However, I was able to stick to my tibetan tea and some frozen fruits. Not bad, not bad

I'm actually proud of this one. Some friends came over for a Pathfinder RP game and they weren't alone! They came with an army of crisps, pringles, sweets and soda marching along. However, I was able to stick to my tibetan tea and some frozen fruits. Not bad, not bad

Very impressive ^^

Yeah, that's fantastic! Pathfinder is a lot of fun, and it's very impressive that you resisted all the snacks while you were playing it... it can be so tempting sometimes when you're in the middle of a game

These are some really strong/S.M.A.R.T. goals; they should serve your main quest well. I like your grading scale with A,B,C being the only ones worth mentioning, and F being inaction. But most of all I like your embrace of the zombie theme and the positive role of #ZAP in your introduction! If you come across any good paleo recipes, please share.

A lot of #ZAPpers are using the Zombie, Run! app. I might have to check it out. I wonder how well it would work on a hiking trail, but I kind of like having no music or anything playing when I hike, so I can be more aware of my surroundings.

Oooo geocaching. Sounds like fun. I wish there were fern-laden forests around here. It's mostly desert shrubs/chaparral around here unless I'm willing to drive for several hours.

Well done sticking to the healthy snacks!  Sounds like you're rocking the challenge so far.

Geocaching is awesome.  I like your plan to do it every day in August!

Day 8. (Aug 5)

BW workout B. Plus 1h walk to meet some friends that live nearby. Then another 1h walk to get back home!

Eating habits: 100% I'm rocking this.

Day 9. (Aug 6)

First mission of Zombies, Run! Was fun and not hard at all. However, running barefoot in the beach is radically different from doing so in pavement.

Eating habits: 80%. Yes, I had a parmesan-cheese Ice cream. It was wonderfully delicious and enjoyed every spoonful. I regret nothing.

Day 10 (Aug 7)

Today! BW workout A. I'm still struggling to get something adequate to use as a dumbell during my vacations for the one-arm rows. Any suggestions?

Eating habits: 100%. I may skip dinner because I haven't packed my bags and scuba gear yet!

I'm off for vacation (just a week). I'll try to update some things but most important: I'm visiting my mom and she asked me to "tell me what you are eating because you look so good". So, this is my opportunity to get her into primal/paleo diet. Most probably I will end up with a bunch of recipes to share with you guys :D

These are some really strong/S.M.A.R.T. goals; they should serve your main quest well. I like your grading scale with A,B,C being the only ones worth mentioning, and F being inaction. But most of all I like your embrace of the zombie theme and the positive role of #ZAP in your introduction! If you come across any good paleo recipes, please share.

A lot of #ZAPpers are using the Zombie, Run! app. I might have to check it out. I wonder how well it would work on a hiking trail, but I kind of like having no music or anything playing when I hike, so I can be more aware of my surroundings.

Oooo geocaching. Sounds like fun. I wish there were fern-laden forests around here. It's mostly desert shrubs/chaparral around here unless I'm willing to drive for several hours.

Doc, you should give the app a try. I run by th beach and have decided not to mix in any music. I leave an earbud off and thus I can hear the clips the app plays plus the wave sounds. You could do just that, there are few clips playing and most of the time you can be on your own with your thoughts (or the lack of).

However, running barefoot in the beach is radically different from doing so in pavement.

but I imagine , altought a bit tougher on the muscle, feeling alot nicer in the brains , no?     /waves wand, trying to cast a transmutation spell

I'm visiting my mom and she asked me to "tell me what you are eating because you look so good"

/pinks a tear away  ;  My mother & boyfriend (in the 6O's ) are duly overweight, I can feel that same question on their lips, but instead it's a disregard like : 'son, get some continuation in that stuff you're doing, so we can ask you without making a fool of ourselves'

the zombie app is the first thing i'll install on the smartphone if I ever buy one , so many good reports i've read about it ^^

Loanna! Great to see you back!

Your goals look terrific and great going so far this week. I hope you have a fantastic time with you mom.

I look forward to recipes. 

Parmesean Cheese Ice Cream...I'm not sure if I'd like that myself, though I'll admit Ice Cream is still a major weak point for me. 

Dumbbell's while on vacation can be easier than you think, especially if you're just doing one-arm dumbbell rows, other exercises might be more tricky but here's some stuff I'd suggest.

Duffle Bag/Messenger Bag/ Suitcase (preferably filled with heavier stuff)

Gallon of milk/water (could be filled with the milk/water or possibly sand or other things)

Anything else that's easy to get a grip on and heavy enough to work you out when you lift really, just look around I'm sure you can find something, since you've got scuba equipment I'm sure there's something with all that which would prove suitable.

Since I’ve been outside and have avoided updating this for so long I’m just going to sum up the last three weeks!

Vacations: Days 11 to 18

Strenght goal: Managed to squeeze 2 BW workouts and two dives. I’m quite happy with this because for the first time I was able to load my gear in the boat without any help, even if I chose a 15L steel air bottle for the dives (which are quite heavy!). Not only that, I was able to help other divers load their gear as I was the first one to step in the boat. Usually, I was the one needing help!

I’ll take a B for the strenght goal this week.

Running goal: Went on a run 2 days then substituted it with hikes so B as well.

Eating goal: Perfect during vacations: A

Days 19 to 28.

Strenght goal: 3 BW training days. So getting an A! No dives though, due to sea being a stormy nightmare.

Running: Nope. At first because I was trying to catch up with work and then because I injuried myself while playing tag with a dog’s friend and my ankle hurted a lot. Miserable: F

Eating: Kind of good, but I’ve found myself loosening the criteria a bit. It was an Ice cream (the famous parmesan one) one day, a subway* with a glass of wine the other, then some homemade cookies and cheesekake…

Okay, so it’s just 3 meals off out of 10 days, still not too bad but we ain’t aiming for “not too bad†here! I guess It’ll be somewhere between a C and a B… so C.

* How do you call those when they are not from the “subway†franchise? Is there a word for regular “baguette sandwich� Here we call sandwiches... sandwiches and this other ones are called “Bocatas†or “Bocadillos†in Spanish.

Life Side Quest: Scape from the "scientific limbo" 

Overall, I’ve submitted chapter 4 and I’m about to sumit chapter 3.

Chapter 1 got corected by Sup 1 and is stuck somewhere near Sup 2. Probably on his dest under a pile of other stuff.

Chapter 2 got corrected by “Supervisor 1†and has been handed to Supervisor 2 for suggestions. (Which for Sup. 2 means “total make over†but meh)

Chapter 5 is on the writing and chapter 6 is faaar faaaar away. In a distant galaxy.

Parmesean Cheese Ice Cream...I'm not sure if I'd like that myself, though I'll admit Ice Cream is still a major weak point for me. 

Dumbbell's while on vacation can be easier than you think, especially if you're just doing one-arm dumbbell rows, other exercises might be more tricky but here's some stuff I'd suggest.

Duffle Bag/Messenger Bag/ Suitcase (preferably filled with heavier stuff)

Gallon of milk/water (could be filled with the milk/water or possibly sand or other things)

Anything else that's easy to get a grip on and heavy enough to work you out when you lift really, just look around I'm sure you can find something, since you've got scuba equipment I'm sure there's something with all that which would prove suitable.

You were right indeed! I used the weight belt for this. It also substitutes for a kettlebell when doing kettlebell swings. And 2 of them are weight-discs proxies for "I just want to get the form right" deadlifts. Very useful piece of gear!

Very commendable that you managed workouts and perfect eating during vacation!

This weekend I had a single spoonful of chocolate ice cream (which I haven't since I started paleo). Mmmm. Sometimes you have to make an exception for special desserts or it would be very difficult to stay faithful to the diet long-term. I find myself being very choosy about what those cheats will be: Random workplace donut, cookie, or store-bought cake - no. One spoonful of rich, creamy restaurant ice cream - ok. Random pizza - no. Pizza from specific non-chain restaurant, with specific toppings - ok.

Subway serves "sub sandwiches" which were a thing before Subway tried to commandeer the name.

Also, way to go on the writing. Sounds like good progress!

Yeah, I find myself to be more picky about what I'm going to "cheat" with. Only high quality and tasteful things like that chocolate Ice cream you mention, or really well-made pizza (as it was the sub I had).

Thanks for the encouragement! I really feel like there's no progress at all, because everything gets paused whenever it reaches supervisor 2. But I guess that's I myself am doing OK delivering my writings at a good pace.

Aaaaaand, another week is gone...

Days 29 to 35

Strenght goal: Did all my workouts, adding the mini-challenge 5 exercises as part of the warm-up, plus the deadlifts and dips. I was realy motivated by this part, since I was less confident with running because of the ankle injury. Grade for this week: A

Running goal: Started the Zombies 5k all over again. Itd've been too agressive for my new weak ankle. Anyhow, I ran my 3 workouts so Also pretty happy with this one. Grades for this: A

Eating goal: My best friend got married on Saturday. Besides the ones during the wedding day and the day after, every other meal was 100% Paleo. Grades for this: B

Life quest is not progressing because both my supervisors are on vacation and I feel pretty demotivated to write more stuff that's just going to get ignored. 

End of challenge:

6 weeks have passed and it is time for thought. First of all, I've found this challenge to be more difficult than the previous one, even if the goals were less ambitious. The "summer break" and lost of routine really made it difficult for me, as is did switching from gym training to doing my workouts at home. Trips, vacations, incredibly hot and humid weather, social events and everything that happens in summer promotes laziness, at least in me. However, I thing I have done fairly OK, even tough I am disappointed with the overall result. This was a "maintenance" challenge, and as that it was a success... but maintenance mode is just not for me.

1) I wanted to get stronger: (1.5 STR, 0.75 CHA)

I'll give myself an B here, as even if most of the weeks I managed to get the 3 workouts done, I skipped a pair BW workouts.

I see how this have helped me stay active during summer, but the increase in strength just did not happen, or was very subtle. Sure, I can do more push-ups than before, but it really depends on the day.

2) I wanted to keep running (2.25 STA)

I'm happy with this one. Had not been for the ankle injury I would have aced the running part. Sadly, I had to rest for aprox. one week and a half and thus did not keep the level of activity I aimed for. Again, a B

3) Perfect eating. (2.25 CON, 1.25 CHA)

Nah, didn't happen. I started very motivated but by the end of the challenge I realised that I had eaten way more ice-creams than I wanted to. However, I did resist very tempting dishes, desserts and drinks. My friend's wedding and our city's holidays were days I let myself lower the standards, but I do not regret it. So, for this goal it'll be a B) 90 % Paleo.

As for the reference measurements I took at the beginning of the challenge:

Height: 169 cm (5'6") 

Weight: 62.4 Kg (- 0.5)

Neck: 32 cm (12.6")

Shoulders: 99.5 cm (+ 0.5) 

Bust: 91.5 cm (-1.5)

Waist: 79 cm (-2)

Hips: 99 cm (-4!!!)

Tigh: 58 cm (+1)

BMI: 22

Body Fat (Crappy scale at home): 22.4%

Quite good, but crappy scale at home says I haven't lost any fat and it could be that I was loosing muscle or water (most probably) during this challenge. However, my returning to a normal schedule promises a bright future. See you next challenge!