• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Laureleye

Laureleye - Challenge 7

I had no more than finished last night's post when my brother called to tell me that my dad had passed away.  He hadn't been doing well for several weeks, so it came as very little shock - but the reality is that "being prepared" doesn't really make anything easier.  My brother is taking care of the arrangements, so I took on the notifications.  The list wasn't that long; at 88 my dad was pretty much the last man standing. 

Praying for you during this tough time. 

Yeah to an awesome week so far! :):)

When and how did you learn to knit? It is on my bucket list and I would eventually like to learn such an awesome skill.

My husband (yes he was a Marine at the time) always wanted to know how to knit, and I wanted to know how to crochet.  We each learned from Learn How books then he taught me to knit.  He tried to crochet, but never could do much of anything with it.

Praying for you during this tough time. 

Thanks Porkins and all for the thoughts and prayers.  I'm trying to take care of my self and family as we all get through this.

I managed to do what I was supposed to this week - here's my round up:

1. Stay Strong. Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [sTR: 2/DEX: 2].  3 strength done for the week.
  2. Build Endurance. At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [CON: 2/STA: 2]  Got 72,000 for the week so I exceeded this target.
  3. Stay Flexible. At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2].  Did a jump rope on Monday, so this is done.

I also got my Physical in, so that's 1 of 3 appointments completed. 

You are doing an amazing job, keep up the great work! 

Oh you knit, how fun! I started a little over a year ago and it takes me forever to finish projects. I hope your afghan turns out well. :)

I got week 2 off to a good start.  I stayed home from work again today, but I started off the morning with a 1 mile walk, then breakfast and my full-body workout for the week.  I jumped rope again; its pretty mindless which is what I was in the mood for.  I got breakfast and lunches done for most of week and I should have very close to 10,000 steps in by the end of the evening.  I should only have 1 more pattern of rows left of my afghan, and then the finishing.  I didn't get another project prepped, so I need to move on that.

Laurel doing great so proud of you! I just broke my Pedometer! and dont have the money for a fitbit. Thats what you have right? I know I wrote this long post but since I cant find it and its lost in cyberland.. Here is the shortened version.

Yeah to an awesome week so far! :) :)
When and how did you learn to knit? It is on my bucket list and I would eventually like to learn such an awesome skill.

I learned to knit as well! I was self taught from a book called learn to knit or something like that. And actually because I taught myself i am an ambidextrious knitter. I Do not have to turn my work over. However I still consider myself a beginner as I havent completed any real project except half of a bag I made myself and various forms of half knit scarves.

I am a pretty good Crocheter though. My mom taught me when I was a little girl. I've done a blanket and other small projects. I tend to work on smaller projects like the size of granny squares then putting them together. The problem with bigger projects are they are hard to work on if you are out and about.

If you do want learn a great place to learn is youtube or videojug.

You know, I broke so many pedometers, I finally realized it might be cheaper to buy a FitBit (I have the FitBit 1).  When I wore a pedometer, it was always crashing to the floor, and pretty soon it didn't work anymore (gee, what a surprise).  Something to think about.

Knitting is more fun for sweaters, but I am better at crochet.  I used to design patterns for 18" American Girl dolls for Close Knit Press.  I keep saying I'm going to scan one of my pattern-book covers into my gallery, but never seem to get around to it.  I absolutely hate sewing things together, so I don't do much of the granny-square type stuff. 

Well, I had quite an eventful day.  My neice had her baby, so now I'm a great-aunt.  Sister-in-law sent me a picture about 2 hours after the baby was born, and he sure doesn't look newborn (i.e. red and pruney).  We didn't have internet for most of the day, so my plan to catch up with everyone at lunch was no-go.  The president was tooling around the area messing up traffic and there was a crunch on the metro line, so I got home an hour late - which pretty much used up all my workout time.  I decided I could squeeze in 1 circuit of my body weight workout, so I pushed it hard.  Did a 2:32 plank, and 75 jumping jacks.  I've already got over 9000 steps for the day, so I'm doing okay on that as well. 

2.32 plank sounds amazing ... how u do it? I mean on elbows/hands with legs straight or bend to the knees?

And doing some workout even after being an hour late at home - ADMIRABLE AND INSPIRING :)

ps. congrats for becoming great-aunt :D

I'm on my elbows/forearms with my hands clasped (so I can start praying for strength about the 2 minute mark).  I keep my legs straight, but I don't lock my knees - they're slightly flexed.  I've actually done a full set of three 2:00 planks, but that kind of comes at the expense of some other stuff because my shoulders are dying at that point.  When I do a full workout, I try to plank for 1:15 - 1:30 each circuit.  I've got my dumbell rows up to 25 pounds now and I'm doing full pushups.  My pushups and rows seemed to really take a hit when I did the plank to failure. 

I try not to get wrapped up in doing the "perfect" workout - I just lace up my shoes and do the best I can. 

Congratulations!  There is nothing like a new baby in the family to lift spirits and inspire, and I am so happy for you!

Also, congratulations on that monster plank! I'm quite impressed by the rows and push ups, too.

Today is my 2nd cardio day.  It is still pretty nice out, so I did some intervals out on the sidewalk.  I go about 1 1/2 miles in 6 intervals (walk/run) and then about 1/2 mile cool down walking.  I was almost home when I ran into a friend who said "You're looking so strong".  I can't imagine hearing anything better (except maybe getting carded buying a drink). 

A fairly good day; with my workout I should end up with 14,000 steps by the time I wind everything down.  I'm only about 6 rows from finishing my afghan, but I nearly fell asleep during my 1st row, so I guess its not in the cards for tonight.  I should be able to finish the knitting part tomorrow and have it finished before Monday. 

Friday didn't go as well as I would have liked - I managed to twist my knee a bit early in the day.  I figured I could just lighten down the leg work in my workout, but still only got in two circuits.  Iced it down and it was better today if still a bit stiff.  I did my mile this morning, but its my rest day, so just the usual walking around doing things.  I bound off my afghan, and almost got all of the cleanup work done on it.  I've got some more yarn out prepping to do a project (making a gauge swatch and all).  I already hit my steps-target for the week, so whatever I do tomorrow will be a bonus.  I'm going to try a light workout again, and then go see my new great-nephew (grand-nephew?) 

The end of week two...already?  I managed a pretty good week.  I got in a light workout today.  I trimmed down the lunges in todays workout, and cut the work out from 4 circuits to 3.  I did two side-planks at :50 each, a new high.  Of course, to keep myself from going crazy, the 3rd circuit I did a standard plank (I am not compulsive).  Saw my little super-nephew.  He's bright as a penny and very "connected" for only 5 days old. 

Okay - here's the roundup for the week:

1. Stay Strong. Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [sTR: 2/DEX: 2].   All three done, even if they all got trimmed back a bit.
  2. Build Endurance. At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [CON: 2/STA: 2]  I'm over 70,000 again this week.
  3. Stay Flexible. At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2].  I completed this on Monday

I haven't made any additional progress on my side -quest...need to get moving on this.

Good work this week!

I appreciate the wisdom you are showing with self care around the twisted knee.  Dialing back for injury prevention is so important.

One of the best things about nieces and nephews--I learned a new name for them, "nibblings"!--is that they are such motivators.  They are worth staying strong and healthy for.

I was a total flake knitting last night.  I drove to one of my other offices where we met with the building management and our architect to kick off the move for that office.  So as soon as I finish the big move/consolidation I've got in November, we'll have another office move.  Fortunately, this is my smallest office so it won't be so bad.  Too late to make my story short, but I was totally beat when I got home.  I did a walk, ate, and then watched the Dodgers.

The new project is a sweater.  I had a pattern all picked out, but the yarn isn't working up to gage, so I'm going to need some new needles - it's worked in the round, and I don't have the correct size of circular needles.  Hoping to squeeze in a trip to the yarn store this weekend. 

Today was strength #1 for the week.  The plan for the day was to still take it a bit easy, but get in 3 full circuits.  Mission accomplished - although I had to replace my last set of lunges with stepups, and all of my jumping jacks with jogging in place.  I finished my afghan, all ready to wrap up for my friend's birthday.