• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Laureleye

Laureleye - Challenge 7

I don't tend to do the long walks that you do.  I get a mile here, 1/2 mile there.  I have the most trouble when there is stress on my knee when it is bent (stairs) or when I don't have my weight distributed on it evenly (jumping jacks)  The walking seems to be fine on fairly level ground - which is most of my steps. 

I finished my little hat last night - of course I still have the cleanup to do on it.  Then I'll take some measurements of that sweater I'm using as a model, so I can start calculating what I need to start on my cardigan project.   

Tuesday was my #1 strength training for the week - I am still doing it modified, but I added back in a few squats and steps.  It will probably take me to the end of the challenge to regain the lost ground.  It's been crazy-busy all week; I've been getting home with over 9,000 steps every day even though I've been cutting my mid-day coffee-run walk way down.  No more work on knitting tonight, but I did get my lunches and breakfasts for the rest of the week all done.  Last night was a long chat with my niece, so no knitting last night either.  Tomorrow Scarlet. 

Slowly but surely I am working back up.  I did my kettlebell workout (I use a 5 lb-er BC).  Man, even with the light KB it sure works my core!  I modified a bit so that the squats wre not very deep, and didn't do anything lungey at all.  I've been running around like crazy at work, so steps have not been a problem. 

I woke up today feeling really good & did almost a full Outcast "B" workout.  I did sub in split squats for the lunges, but that was it.  I had 4 nice side planks; 2 each 45 and 35. 

Week 5 roundup:

QUEST GOALS:

1. Stay Strong. Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [sTR: 2/DEX: 2]. I did all 3 strength for the week - working back up slowly and carefully.
  2. Build Endurance. At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [CON: 2/STA: 2]. I got 74,000 steps this week due to being very busy at work this week (again).  This is going to take a little work next week - I'm off for the week.
  3. Stay Flexible. At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2] I did a kettlebell - so "A" for this for the week.

Well, I started the final week off well.  I was feeling so good this morning, I decided to see if I could go a few intervals on the sidewalk.  My usual is six 1/4 mile intervals, plus a cool down.  I did 5 - so 1 1/4 miles, then walked the rest.  I usually walk/jog equal distances of each interval, but did longer walks today...and jogged very slowly.  It felt good to be moving again and my knee seems okay so I'm happy with it.  I got almost 13,000 steps in today so I'll have a few to spare for tomorrow if I don't get as much in.

Today was my cardio day - I did some kettlebells and had a pretty good workout.  I'm managing to get my steps in much better than I thought I would; its been hot here in Burbank, but I've been getting my AM mile in bright and early before it's gotten bad & I'm getting the rest of my steps doing things around the house. 

I also got 2 more doctor's appointments made today, so I should do well on my side quest.

hey sorry for being out recently... I'm happy to see that you are doing great :) looks like you have pretty solid training plan that you can continue even if things go crazy...

few more days and we can all call it a WIN for the challenge :) are u already planning next one like most of the nerds? :) I feel like the first time that I don't which is new expierience for me :)

It continues to be in low 100's here and (for California) humid - which means I'm not sleeping well.  Other than that, things are going pretty well.  I got in my morning mile again and did my Outcast "A" before it got too awfully warm.  Outcast "A" is all body-weight, and I am nearly back up to where I was before I killed my knee. 

Its been too warm to knit, and I haven't trusted my brain anyway.  Hopefully the humidity will drop back to where it belongs and it will at least cool down at night and I can sleep!

I will be in the next challenge but not going to be pushing very hard.  Work will continue to be crazy as the actual office move date approaches and I start a landscaping project at home.  If I can just keep my balance for the rest of the year, I'll be happy.

omg such weather is almost never cool !!! 

nice to hear your knee is getting better - I guess it means you ain't going to a doctor with it ?

ps. how come you did 6 challenges so far yet your level is only 3?? Just asking :)

Yeah, sounds like a heat wave for us California's.  It was already pretty warm this morning when I went for a walk.  I thought about moving to the outcast or outsider levels of the guide, but there are some workouts I can't quite do yet.  Mostly like the chin up type stuff.

Wow it's that hot?  It's been in the 50s at night around here.  I can finally get a nice comfortable night's sleep.  What's the landscaping project?  You making something?

ps. how come you did 6 challenges so far yet your level is only 3?? Just asking :)

That would be because I'm terrible at updating my signature!

Well, I finished up the weekend well.  Saturday was my "rest" day, but we spent the day doing some small project, so I got almost 12,000 steps in.  We went out with friends to celebrate my husband's birthday - and by a miracle it had cooled off.

Today I did my outcast "B" workout which is the most weight-intensive of the workouts.  I did some decent side-planks, but not my best.  I've worked back up to split squats, so I'm happy with my progress for me knee. 

Our house is a small cottege built in 1933 about 1 1/2 from the Walt Disney studio.  We've been slowly remodeling, and finished the last of the remodels last year.  The last thing we needed to do was re-landscape everything that got destroyed by the other projects.  Unlike the house where I did all of the design work, I'm working with someone on the design for the yard.  I'm hammering out the final plant selection/placement now and need to get it done by next weekend so I can get it to the contractor. 

Except for researching plants, I haven't been on the computer in about 4 days.  I'll get my finals posted tomorrow.  I'm off to do the nightly cat-brushing ritual - how cats do like their rituals!

hehehe, it looks like it :)

nice, strong finish of the challenge with your workouts L. I hope you are proud and happy of how you did during this challenge :)

Well here we are at the end of another challenge.  Time to round things up.

QUEST GOALS:

1. Stay Strong.  Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks.  [sTR: 2/DEX: 2].   I missed a couple of strength workouts due to my knee, but none due to inertia; so I am giving myself an A anyway.
  2. Build Endurance.  At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks.  [CON: 2/STA: 2]  Success!  A
  3. Stay Flexible.  At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2]  Again, I missed 1 workout due to my knee, but made all of the rest, so yes I'm giving myself an A

SIDE QUEST:  Schedule my remaining annual physicals/checkups (Physical, pap, audiology).  [WIS: 3]  I completed the physical and have appointments for the other two, so this is done.  Yay!!

MINI CHALLENGES:  I completed 1A/1B; although I wasn't really able provide a tremendous amount of support to my buddies. 

This was a difficult challenge in many ways.  I struggle a little in July/August since my sister's death.  My father died on day 2 of the challenge.  I hurt my knee.  But I kept going...not only with these challenge goals, but keeping up my other challenge habits; flossing my teeth, tracking my food, taking all of meds on time.  So yes I am proud of the accomplishments for this challenge.  Thanks for all of the support everyone. 

Dang it girl!  You are super human!  You have had a rough few months and you still pulled some amazing results.  I am very proud to call you an Adventurer!!  I do however think it's time that you "graduate" to the Rangers and spread some of your awesomeness - we will still be here for you (we're not going anywhere) and we won't let you venture out on your own :)

You're an amazing and wonderful woman.  Whether you go or stay, you will rock!!