• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Laureleye

Laureleye - Challenge 7

I originally was able to use a 10 pound sledgehammer for under 5 minutes and I was panting, cotton throat, wheezing, sweating, and really tired.  Built up through these challenges and have 'graduated' to a 20 pound warhammer.  When that gets easy, I'll start making my own weaponry.. uh I mean GYM equipment.

Amazing planks btw.  I'm at the uh.... 6 second mark for planks.  Got a long road.

I originally was able to use a 10 pound sledgehammer for under 5 minutes and I was panting, cotton throat, wheezing, sweating, and really tired.  Built up through these challenges and have 'graduated' to a 20 pound warhammer.  When that gets easy, I'll start making my own weaponry.. uh I mean GYM equipment.

Amazing planks btw.  I'm at the uh.... 6 second mark for planks.  Got a long road.

I'm pretty proud of my planks - but you're probably planking 150 pounds more than I am.

I had kind of a hectic day, didn't plan enough lunch and got home late after a flat (ran over a nail)...so I didn't plan my snack/dinner well enough & went over for the day.  The only positive is that it was too many nuts rather than cookies, candy, etc.  No sense beating myself up now - count it as a vegetable and move on.  I did about 1/3 of the stairs I usually do and my knee is still feeling good so I'm happy with that.   

Farmer's market today outside work, so I grabbed some nice fruit and veggies.  Jammed my knee up a bit again, so time to be more cautious.  I put my knee brace on before my kettlebell workout and the workout went fine.  I need to work this in some more - it sure is working some muscles up on my ribcage. 

I love my kettlebell (mostly for versatility), but I made the mistake of going too heavy with my first one.  Have you found any good resources for doing a proper swing? It's super easy to injure yourself with one of those, and full on swings scare me a bit. 

I love my kettlebell (mostly for versatility), but I made the mistake of going too heavy with my first one.  Have you found any good resources for doing a proper swing? It's super easy to injure yourself with one of those, and full on swings scare me a bit. 

I'm using a 5 lb kettlebell with the intent being cardio rather than strength - so I'm not swinging a really heavy weight around.  I'm just doing a little workout I found in Prevention Magazine

I was (as usual) sure I had things under control.  Yes I was installing printers, but I was being careful.  I had my knee brace on.  I hurt my knee anyway.  I got home and had one of those arguments with myself where the sane part says I need to sit out the workout and the compulsive worrier says I'm just being lazy.  Fortunately sanity won out and I skipped my workout.  With some ice and Aleve the swelling is down to almost normal.  Going to sit out again tomorrow, and limit Sunday to a walk of undetermined length. 

I got the printers installed though. 

One of the hardest things for me to figure out is it pain vs just being lazy. I'm a horrible judge since I'm sort of a giant baby with it comes to my body and feelings of pain/hurt. I'm glad you took a break to let the swelling go down and I hope it gets better soon. :)

One of the hardest things for me to figure out is it pain vs just being lazy. I'm a horrible judge since I'm sort of a giant baby with it comes to my body and feelings of pain/hurt. I'm glad you took a break to let the swelling go down and I hope it gets better soon. :)

Believe me, I drive myself crazy trying to figure it out! 

So, how did my weekend go?  I ended up doing a very (very) slow 1 mile each morning, and then just incidental walking. 

Week 3 roundup:

QUEST GOALS:

1. Stay Strong.  Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks.  [sTR: 2/DEX: 2].   Only 1 of 3 for this due to injury.  I know if I was giving advice to someone else, I'd tell that that they didn't fail-they were being smart.  Time to apply it to myself.
  2. Build Endurance.  At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks.  [CON: 2/STA: 2].  I got enough steps early in the week (and installing printers) that I completed this successfully.
  3. Stay Flexible.  At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2]  I accomplished this early in the week.

I'm being listed as day-to-day on my workouts.  Today, I'm not planning more than incidental walking.  I've got my knee brace on, I skipped all of the steps everywhere, and stood there like a lump on the escalator.  I'm hoping to do a modified light workout tomorrow - no lunges, no squats, no jumping jacks. 

Yeeowch!  Fussy knees are such a pill.  Do you feel like you are getting the right care for the issue?

It seems like health is something we have to fight for every day, and sometimes the mental challenge of it is harder than the physical one.  Always another problem to solve in the body, all life long. And it seems like in the end we have a choice between being under the care of an orthopedist or a cardiologist.  I think it's better to stay active and go with the orthopedist!

Don't give up, Laureleye--I am cheering for you!

I'd seen an orthopedist some years ago, but I think its time to look into it again.  The last guy said the issue with my knees was congenital rather than the old tennis injury I'd always assumed it was (I'm not now, nor was I ever, any good at tennis.  I was in high school before Title IX and it was the only girls sport).  You're right that keeping the right frame of mind is tough. 

I didn't do anything today really except incidental walking - but still got over 10,000 steps.  A lot going on at work.  I didn't do any stairs other than the porch, etc.  It's feeling pretty good - we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Today worked out fairly well.  My knee was feeling okay when I got home, so I did my modified workout:

Pushups

Dumbell rows (weight reduced from 25 to 20)

Reverse crunches (in place of planks)

Marching in place while waving my arms around for 1 min

repeat with no rest

The plan was to go thru 3 times, but my knee was too tired so I stopped at 2.  Light stretching and then iced my knee.  Its tired but not sore so I think I did okay.

hey there - since your knee pain is back it could be great idea to see an orthopedist again... My pain is not much as well, but it's still here and don't seems to leave any soon so I decided what the hell - let's go and see someone who should know smth more about it !!!Maybe an USG will solve this mistery, maybe not - but not knowing what's going on there is killing me more than the pain itself :)

wish u all the health !! 

hey there - since your knee pain is back it could be great idea to see an orthopedist again... My pain is not much as well, but it's still here and don't seems to leave any soon so I decided what the hell - let's go and see someone who should know smth more about it !!!Maybe an USG will solve this mistery, maybe not - but not knowing what's going on there is killing me more than the pain itself :)

wish u all the health !! 

You are right - I don't take my owies seriously enough.  Time to get this checked out.

I loved Steve's blog (What if the princess didn't need to be saved?)  I was very lucky to come from a family that didn't place much, if any, emphasis on gender roles.  This was pretty unusual in the 60's.  I've got 2 older brothers, and we did a lot of things together.  I was stuck being the green-PFC-fresh-off-the-farm-type when we played "war" (which was WWII to us), to my brother's 90-day-wonder-1st-LT and the tough-sergeant.  When we played "Sparta" it was pretty much the same, only with shields and swords instead of grenades and guns.  My favorite game was "StarTrek" - because of course I could be tough, but still be a girl - how cool is that?  Uhura could do anything - shoot a phaser, fix the communications array, or threaten bad guys with a knife - all while wearing a very short skirt.  Who would ever want to be Jeannie, Ginger or Marianne? 

Today was a busy day at work, and I had 10,000 steps by the time I made it home.  I added some more - I walked on the treadmill for my cardio.  I couldn't do faster than 3.2 (my normal is 3.7 or so) but at least I did it.  I had to forego this week's "full body" cardio - all them are too hard on my knees.  I'm feeling pretty happy though; while my knee is still a bit stiff, it isn't sore.  I think there is another serious day ahead of me tomorrow, but I think I'm up for it. 

I use to play cowboys and indians as a kid and play we played war too.  My friend and I use to play Tron out front with a Frisbee.  We would just throw it too each other across the street.

Hopefully, you knee feels better.  Panczo might have the right idea about getting it checked again.

Reverse crunches.  God those things are ridiculously hard.  Hope the knee is getting better.  Whenever I'm hurt, I never know if I should use whatever a bit so I can ease the pain, or just stop using it altogether- or if that would tighten up and make whatever is hurt even worse. 

Hello, thought I'd stop by and check how you are getting on. Great news about your steps and yoga goals but sorry to hear about your knee and I hope it feels better soon!

Staying busy.  Lots of steps at work yesterday cleaning up after the training seminar.  Then home to do a modified Outcast "A" workout.  I skipped the squats and stepups, but did add planks back in - I just held them down to about 45 seconds each.  I did 3 circuits - my knees were tired, but not sore.

Today I did my morning walk, but no other "exercise" - unless you count the 9000 additional steps I did catching up on things around the house.  My new knitting books came in.  They have some basic patterns in all sizes (childrens, mens & womens), in 6 different gauges so you have the basis of a sweater design with any yarn.  I've done a lot of crochet design and thought that this would be fun.  Someone gave me some nice yarn - since its free, I'll be comfortable experimenting with it.  I've got a guage swatch made up and have picked the pattern.  For my first try with the book, I'm going to make something similar to a cardigan I already have (using it for size/ease/length).  Tomorrow begins the great needle hunt to find all the circulars I'll need.

I think I finished the week up pretty well.

Today was Outcast "B" which has the most weights off all of them. I skipped the lunges and cut it from 4 to 3 circuits.  The side planks were tough, but I still did 30 seconds each side and a 1-minute standard plank.

I rounded up all the needles i will need.  I had one odd-ball skein in the bunch, so I am doing a small practice project first; I'm making a little cap in the round.  I figured I'd need a refresher handling 4 needles for circular knitting.  It also gave me a chance to get used to the very unusual instruction structure of the book I'm using.  Its actually going better than expected; about 1/2 done. 

Week 4 roundup:

QUEST GOALS:

1. Stay Strong. Three strength/week for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [sTR: 2/DEX: 2]. I did all 3 strength - although I did modify them. 
  2. Build Endurance. At least 63,000 fitbit steps for at least 5 of the 6 weeks. [CON: 2/STA: 2].  I got 78,000 steps this week due to being very busy at work this week. 
  3. Stay Flexible. At least one yoga or whole-body cardio per week. [CON: 2/STA: 2] I skipped this for the week due to my knee - substituting a walk.

Another busy day at work, so I got home with 9,000 steps, and finished up with 14,000+ for the day.  I did one flight of stairs this morning, creeping up them like an 80 year old - but I made it.  Cardio tonight was the treadmill.  I tried a little jog interval and managed one, but that's it.  Not too bad.

My cat is calling - time to get her hair brushed - so off I go.