CH's Quest for Consistency

CalvinHobbes

Funny story. I joined Nerd Fitness in September of 2011, became a guild leader at some time this year, and have participated in every challenge along the way. Fact: I have not completed one single challenge. Not one. Ever. 

So, my main quest is to be consistent for 6 entire weeks. I don't think I've been consistent with anything for 6 weeks in my entire life. 

FITNESS:

1) CrossFit 3x/week.

-I planned out every single day that I can attend CrossFit in August, and it's actually 4-5 times a week. I'll be in Boston for a week (unfortunate for my CrossFit plans, but fortunate for everything else...happy Tin Man?!), but I'll do some of the bodyweight only WODs at home. Done deal.

2) Track food.

-I eat mostly paleo when cooking for myself, but when I derail I go far off the tracks and eat far too much. Instead of holding myself to being 100% perfect, I'm going to just hold myself accountable using My Fitness Pal and write down what I'm having to assess it later. 

3) Mobilize 3x/week.

-I'm extremely sore. I have to do this. My CrossFit has free yoga on Thursdays, I should start by going there. 

Side quest:

I've been working on trying to figure out where to go from here. I like my job but I'm not sure it's what I want to do forever. I'm trying to decide on going to graduate school, moving to a different unit or city, etc.  My goal for this challenge will be to analyze possible options and go from there. 

-Bonus: Applying for jobs elsewhere or starting to study for GRE. 

7/29/13

CF:

EMOM x7 min: 2 snatches

-just used the training bar, I'm still working on form. I can absolutely go up in weight next time.

"Bubbles":

AMRAP 12 min

10 burpees

25 double unders

-4 rounds, 10 burpees, 16 DU's. I SUCKED at double-unders today. I just couldn't get them the first round and ended up taking 2:30 to get all 25. I should have scaled down but I was being stubborn. I mean, I got one hell of a workout, so I guess it counts. 

SUbbing! always great to see our Guild Leaders working hard. Question for you. How do you like crossfit? I am thinking of joining my local box but I am rather nervous. Great job on your first day of the challenge. Keep up the hard work.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

SUbbing! always great to see our Guild Leaders working hard. Question for you. How do you like crossfit? I am thinking of joining my local box but I am rather nervous. Great job on your first day of the challenge. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks! I love CrossFit...this is the third box I've been at because I keep moving but they've all been awesome and definitely not scary. I've improved SO much. This morning for instance I was the worst person in the box, but I wrote my crappy score up on the board and I wasn't embarrassed because it's actually better than I've done in the past and others noticed that. The community can't be beat and pushes me more and more every time.

Woot!  I too have been a terribly inconsistent guild leader.  We'll keep each other honest.   :)

Yes we will! 

Great goals!  Job decisions are tough.  I'm in grad school right now and facing choices whether to stay in the same field, or go in a completely different direction (or bail out early... ).  I'll be rooting for you to find a choice that makes you happy!  

Did you do any "preparing" before joining a crossfit gym?  It looks like tons of fun but I'm only starting to lift heavy (challenge goal).  

Cait

Nord Assassin - Level 1Nord Ranger - Level 3STR 5 | DEX 1 | STA 6.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 8.7 | CHA 4

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.†-The Tenth Doctor Current Challenge

Great goals!  Job decisions are tough.  I'm in grad school right now and facing choices whether to stay in the same field, or go in a completely different direction (or bail out early... ).  I'll be rooting for you to find a choice that makes you happy!  

Did you do any "preparing" before joining a crossfit gym?  It looks like tons of fun but I'm only starting to lift heavy (challenge goal).  

I didn't do any whatsoever, I had probably touched a barbell twice. They lead you through everything :) 

As a guy who has taken the GRE not once but twice, don't stress about studying. It is the equivalent of an SAT. Seriously, it is really really easy. 

And if you move you should come to Texas. I have a room I can rent you. It'll be cheap I swear. 

( iknow i know you aren't going to come to Texas, but a guy can still dream )

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

As a guy who has taken the GRE not once but twice, don't stress about studying. It is the equivalent of an SAT. Seriously, it is really really easy. 

And if you move you should come to Texas. I have a room I can rent you. It'll be cheap I swear. 

Oh yeah ditto on the GRE.  I went in barely knowing the format of the test and did fine.  Using the concordance tables to go back to the 1600 scale I even did better than I did on the SAT.  My level of preparation was such that I didn't even know they changed the scoring system to 130-170.  I was somewhat confused when I saw two numbers below the 200-800 scale I was expecting to see.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Wait, unfortunately you'll be in Boston for a week?  I'm hurt.

I fixed it :)

Good to know! And who knows, maybe some stars will align and I'll end up in Texas. Maybe. 

Food log from yesterday: completed. I didn't track calories or anything, I just want to be writing down what I am eating.

7/30 CrossFit:

Warm-up:

Run 800m (not for time)

20 GHD sit-ups (I did not feel comfortable doing these, I couldn't get below parallel)

30 weighted leg raises, 10 lb dumbbell

40ish Russian twists with 12 lb medicine ball

Skill: handstand pushups....I just worked on handstands. I have a long way to go on those let alone pushups. 

WOD:

Bear complex!!

-5 rounds of 7 reps of power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press. Can't put the bar down in between reps.

I just used the 33 lb bar--by the 4th set in each round I thought my arms were going to fall off.

15 minutes of mobilizing done, and may have to do more this afternoon... 

Better :)

And don't you give him any ideas.

Actually wait bigm how cheap of a rental are we talking? :)

Considering I know ball park what you pay in Boston, you'll think you've won the lottery. 

I think a fair price would be free for me, and $300 for Kona. Maybe only $250 because she can pay the other $50 in love and cuddle sessions. 

Dogs get to stay free. Humans on the other hand are not as cute and cuddly :P

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines