Stealthy Ninja Bastards

Brief intro: 

I've worked in IT for most of my adult life, with a few years out for babies.  I'm a mother of 3 (13, 17 and 22 yo), happily married for 27 years.  This is my third challenge, and the longest sustained period of exercise in my entire life. 

Challenges:

I'm working on losing weight and getting fit, and expecting to take up to a year to lose all the weight I need to lose.

My goals for this challenge are focused on building and strengthening habits--working out, eating right, sleeping enough, and getting better at meditating.  A link to my challenge thread is in my sig.

Hope for This Group:

I'm hoping this group will help me build a network of strong, healthy people to encourage me to be strong and healthy.

Motivation:

I've been struggling to pin down my motivation, and I think I have it.  I don't want my fitness level and size to limit what I do anymore.

Great intro, peggysr! I think we're all striving to be those strong, healthy people in your life, and I'm certain this group will do great things. Momentous things! :) Hope you'll join us for the hangout next week!

Very eloquent. Well done :)

I have followed alll the instructions, but can't add photos to my G+, I can only think my work laptop doesn't allow uploads for security reasons. Will add you when I get home on Friday. :)

Sicil; it may only be day 3, but you lead a kick-ass team.

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumped.

Hurray! Haha, we'll see how many of you guys survive by the end of the 6 weeks! :)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

I've answered the poll, but I'll be unavailable a lot of the best times, so I may have to miss the first hangout.

I've also Google+'ed myself.  Only for you all would I do this...

I'll also brag that sicil has her own website and blog, raising her nerd cred even more in my opinion.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

I've answered the poll, but I'll be unavailable a lot of the best times, so I may have to miss the first hangout.

I've also Google+'ed myself.  Only for you all would I do this...

I'll also brag that sicil has her own website and blog, raising her nerd cred even more in my opinion.

I figure if this works well, I'll split you guys into 2 groups for the next chat. More manageable and infinitely more nerdy conversations that way. And if it sucks... Well... Then you'll be glad you missed it!

The defunct blog doesn't show off my nerdy side at all. That's just my marketing side, which wishes it was cool enough to be nerdy...

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Wow, quite a few of us are from the UK! Neat! All right, here's where we're at:

Doodle: aisle4b, waiting for a response from you to finish up the poll. (not to put you on the spot or anything like that...) ;)

G+: Nephaisys, aisle4b, please add me! (Or if you have already, let me know your profile as sometimes I miss these notification thingys...)

Looking at how we're spread out so far, I might group you into two separate times to better accommodate the overseas crowd. There is no obligation to attend both times. (Actually there's no obligation to attend any, but y'all seem to be following so far...)

Oh, and the last suggestion, just in case you haven't yet, is to click 'follow this topic' at the top right corner (make sure you're signed in 1st). Makes it WAY easier to track when other people comment. You can setup different levels of notifications, like instant email.... but that's just for the real keeners and doesn't describe me at all. Nope, not one bit.

Thanks a lot, buddies! Happy Thursday! Any good or bad news to share?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I think I have added you... but I don't have a picture or much of a profile, most of G+ is blocked by my work PC's security :( I'll be home tomorrow though so will rectify by then (Hi, my name's Kirsty by the way!)

As a team, we should have good news Thursdays - brilliant stuff that's going on in our area / world / country. It's kind of an old story (well, 2 weeks ago, so apologies if you've seen it), but today I read about micro-algae street lamps, that suck up CO2. Such a rediculously cool / simple idea, but brilliant!

I'm off to the pub! Exhausted! I shall have a pint for you all! :)

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

I think I have added you... but I don't have a picture or much of a profile, most of G+ is blocked by my work PC's security :( I'll be home tomorrow though so will rectify by then (Hi, my name's Kirsty by the way!)

As a team, we should have good news Thursdays - brilliant stuff that's going on in our area / world / country. It's kind of an old story (well, 2 weeks ago, so apologies if you've seen it), but today I read about micro-algae street lamps, that suck up CO2. Such a rediculously cool / simple idea, but brilliant!

I'm off to the pub! Exhausted! I shall have a pint for you all! :)

You've added me Nephaisys, I see you! :)

For my Good News Thursdays, all I've gotta say is that we're taking Friday off in lieu of the national holiday. Hurray! (But that also means that we don't get the holiday off when everyone else will be off work. Boo.)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I finally took the time to read the links in the first post here, which of course led me to other links.  I read the NF posts on Support Teams and Jedi Councils.  This group is part of my Support Team.  I'm lucky to also have a husband and daughter who are interested in getting fit, several coworkers and friends with some fitness interests and expertise, and even the option of an occasional session with a personal trainer at work.

So here's my question now:  who's on your Jedi Council?

I've subscribed to the NerdFitness blog, and Steve is definitely on my Jedi Council.  His entries provide so much encouragement and support for me.  When I have a fitness question, I can usually find a blog post he's already written on that topic.  He's been a total sweetheart and has even responded to my emails.  (I assume he's super busy and reward myself by sending him an email at the end of each challenge.)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

That's a great one, peggysr! Okay team, let's all answer this one!

> Who's On Your Jedi Council?

• You guys. You inspire me to push hard and push past "let's not exercise tonight." I never thought the online accountability thing worked before. Now I understand that it's all about the people on board. There's so much non-judgmental optimism within these forums, and having such a dedicated and active squad will help us all get where we want to be, sooner.
  • I have a local girlfriend who's about 6 months ahead of me, training wise. She's been so helpful in fielding all of my newbie questions and giving me tips on what to expect in the future.
  • My manfriend is great for general support, but we rarely exercise together (we're on different schedules and he's a loner). But when we go out and do anything active on the weekends, be it hiking or biking or whatever else, I find myself now ready and eager for the challenge. (Beforehand it was a pain to try to get me up on Sundays for an early morning hike up a mountain. Now all I can think about is beating my time.)

Outside of that, I take bits and pieces from everywhere. I love the blog posts from NF, but I also read widely on fitness in my RSS feeds. The ones I bookmark are always down-to-earth and non-preachy. And real nerdy, too - Lifehacker has articles sometimes on how to tweak different parts of your fitness or dietary habits. I always find a perspective that I haven't thought of before.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

> Who's On Your Jedi Council?

Oh goodness....Jedi Council. Definitely you guys. Facebook also helps. I post my runs on there and get positive feedback. I also am lucky to work for ladies who take fitness pretty seriously- in a non-judgy way, which is awesome. 

One of my bosses has done Iron Man twice and another one qualified to do the NY marathon that was cancelled. My office manager also likes to do trail running and all of them are very much into cycling. Having them compliment me on my progress is pretty amazing, similar to having an olympian say something nice about my work out. Granted, they are not olympians, but compared to me, they could be. :D 

I am not sure I would be so focused on my goals (especially long-term goals) if I didn't have NF and this freaking amazing community. 

YOU GUYS ROCK ! 

Whoa I missed a lot of the posts the last two days!! Welcome new folks.  peggysr - I love your motivation! 

My Jedi Council?

NF community

One close friend also into fitness

My husband - most of the time

Still looking for more... I also get a lot of motivation from teachers of classes I've taken and the internet in general.  

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Thanks for reminding me, rogaecia! I should know better than to try to coordinate while moving...

> Inaugural Stealthy Ninja Bastards G+ Hangout

As expected, none of the times worked for everyone. Therefore, I'm splitting you guys into two times, taking the most popular slots as my guide. You're welcome to attend both if you have the time. However, if you're only going to do one, please try to make the one I've indicated below, so that our numbers are kinda even.

Tuesday August 6th @ 7pm PSTrogaecia, peggysr, montecristo73, aisle4b, sicil

Saturday August 10th @ 11am PST - Aerie, Sabrinamari, Nephaisys, Noileum, sicil

(As I have all of your hangouts IDs, I'll be attending both.)

My poll only shows in my local time zone (Pacific Standard Time), so some of you will have to do some converting.Here's where you can do all that: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I'll try to keep a timer for 45 min, and let you guys know when it's gone by. Of course, we're welcome to talk for as long as we like, but I just wanted to respect everyone's time and other plans.

Oh, and as this is the first hangout and people are logging in from all kinds of locations and platforms, I expect technical problems abound! If you can, try to test out your microphone / speakers beforehand. Maybe make a test call. And say a prayer. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for making it all possible by answering the poll and following along! Super stoked!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Agreed! Cheers Sicil! You are literally amazing!

I might try to make both; it'd be nice to "see" some transatlantic buddies - but make no promises!

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

Wow, quite a few of us are from the UK! Neat! All right, here's where we're at:

Doodle: aisle4b, waiting for a response from you to finish up the poll. (not to put you on the spot or anything like that...) ;)

G+: Nephaisys, aisle4b, please add me! (Or if you have already, let me know your profile as sometimes I miss these notification thingys...)

Looking at how we're spread out so far, I might group you into two separate times to better accommodate the overseas crowd. There is no obligation to attend both times. (Actually there's no obligation to attend any, but y'all seem to be following so far...)

Oh, and the last suggestion, just in case you haven't yet, is to click 'follow this topic' at the top right corner (make sure you're signed in 1st). Makes it WAY easier to track when other people comment. You can setup different levels of notifications, like instant email.... but that's just for the real keeners and doesn't describe me at all. Nope, not one bit.

Thanks a lot, buddies! Happy Thursday! Any good or bad news to share?

Heya, sorry for the short MIA - life got a little hectic, but I'm back! I can also make it to both of the hangouts :) I'm going to work on making checking up on and posting in NF part of my routine, since when I'm not around here I'm much more likely to miss some of my goals (it's no coincidence that the days I didn't check in were the days I also did the worst).

Thanks Sicil for organizing this, it should be awesome!

MyFitnessPal

WEEK ONE DONE

So how did we all do for week one?

I'm pretty happy with my first weeks progress, a couple of inches down on the total measurements, a couple of pounds lost and a few comic books read.  All in all a great start to the challenge.

That said I started well in the last challenge and then lost my way mid way through .  .  .  .  .  .

Scout - Lvl 1

MyFitnessPal

tumblr

weight

I will be there :):) yay!! Sicil: you are a terrific organizer. Thank you for all you do.

Sweet! See ya there!

Agreed! Cheers Sicil! You are literally amazing!

I might try to make both; it'd be nice to "see" some transatlantic buddies - but make no promises!

Alrighty! See you at one and maybe both! :)

Heya, sorry for the short MIA - life got a little hectic, but I'm back! I can also make it to both of the hangouts :) I'm going to work on making checking up on and posting in NF part of my routine, since when I'm not around here I'm much more likely to miss some of my goals (it's no coincidence that the days I didn't check in were the days I also did the worst).

Thanks Sicil for organizing this, it should be awesome!

No problem, thanks for adding me on G+! Our set is now complete!

Check back in often, it'll really start making a difference in your goals. Having folks to (kindly) harp at you and cheer each other on will really help with the routine.

I'm going to struggle to make it on the 10th as I'm visiting my parents and their internet is really crappy (I think they manage around 0.5mb at the best of times).

If I can get a connection (and their pc working) I'll join y'all

Ouch! The effort is appreciated! :) Hope to see ya!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Sicil, thank you for arranging this.  I can make the Saturday call and I also hope to make the Tuesday call.  I am arranging my schedule to see if this is possible.

How will this work?  Is it like Skype?  Do we just get on Google+ and wait to be invited to a video call?

My nerd cred is pretty low, so I'd like to know a bit in advance about what we need to do.

Thank you again!

Shine shine shine!

Thanks sabrinamari, you're asking what a few people are probably thinking, so...

> How to use Google Hangouts

Here's everything you need to know: http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/

1) If you're using it from your computer (probably the best if you can access a wired connection instead of relying on flaky wifi), you'll need to install an extension for chrome

2) If you're on the phone/tablet, you'll need to look up Google Hangouts in your respective app stores (free app)

But yeah, read the official deets from Google above. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Oh, and as this is the first hangout and people are logging in from all kinds of locations and platforms, I expect technical problems abound! If you can, try to test out your microphone / speakers beforehand. Maybe make a test call. And say a prayer. Fingers crossed!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Week One Check-In:

Noileum, you pose a great question, one that requires us to check in about our progress.  Yay---accountability!

Week One was excellent for me.  I did well on everything but the 'staying in budget' life quest.  I need to revisit my budgetary categories this week.

When I figure out how to post a photo, I will post a picture of my accountability chalkboard.  I really want to figure out how to upload photos.

I didn't track food for the first two days but did track for the other five.  Strength training has been a real pleasure.  Cardio hasn't been too bad, either---I've run a 3K twice without stopping, very slowly.

I'll add interval training this week---great suggestion, guys!

I haven't done as well on daily meditation.  I'm working on getting that back up this week.  It wasn't part of my challenge, but it's still very important.

Jedi Council:

Scott Smith from the podcast and website 'Motivation to Move' is part of my Jedi Council.  I've been listening to him for several years.

I'm still assembling the other members.

Support Team:

I am hoping this group can be part of my Support Team. 

My husband, a marathoner and all-around athlete, is also a great supporter.

I'm looking for more support here, too.

Shine shine shine!

When I figure out how to post a photo, I will post a picture of my accountability chalkboard.  I really want to figure out how to upload photos.

(I'm not sure if this is the only way, but it's the way I do it. I'm sure others have smarter ways of accomplishing this.)

To upload a photo, go to the albums section. Hit the 'upload' button on the upper right corner. Hit 'browse' and select a photo from your computer. You might want to make your own album so all of your future photos can go to that. Once you upload, you can select different sized thumbnails if you don't like overblown photos (I always go with the medium version). Grab the URL of the picture.

Then go back to your post and hit the picture icon in the editor (it's the box with the green tree inside of it).

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines