Stealthy Ninja Bastards

Thank you for the help, sicil!  I made it as far as as selcting my photo, but then could see no 'publish' or 'upload' button.  I lokked on both Safari and Firefox and there was no visible way to go to 'Step 2: Review and Publish'.  My husband looked too, and he couldn't find it either.  I'm stumped.  Any thoughts?  Am I missing something obvious?

Shine shine shine!

Thank you for the help, sicil!  I made it as far as as selcting my photo, but then could see no 'publish' or 'upload' button.  I lokked on both Safari and Firefox and there was no visible way to go to 'Step 2: Review and Publish'.  My husband looked too, and he couldn't find it either.  I'm stumped.  Any thoughts?  Am I missing something obvious?

I tried this earlier (while I was retracing the steps myself) and noticed I couldn't do so either. Maybe it's a temporary glitch? Try back later and let us know if it goes through! :)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Do you guys have any more room? I'd love to join

Drat. So sorry, Paradigm, we're full up to bursting. :'( I've had to turn away a few already. I'm sure there are other squads out there that would love to have you?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Week 1 Summary:

I moved! What a great way to start the challenge! (Not.) Thanks to having gone through a previous challenge with good eating habits, I was able to eat relatively healthy and stay on track for workouts. I also made 2 sets of 10 full pushups in good form, something I've never been able to do before. Trying to up to 3 sets next week - cautiously, as it was the exercise that I got injured on last time.

My new building has an outdoor pool and gym. Free and 2 steps out the door will go far in the rainy months ahead. Looking into sourcing a personal trainer next that will help me through the limited (but new and clean!) equipment.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I've been struggling with pictures too - and it should be simple. All my pictures are jpgs yet one of two things happens; either the 'browse' button is greyed out or - more commonly - when I've browsed and selected - upload is greyed out. LadyWitch told me to use tapatalk since it was easier - honestly I haven't tried (but at least on here my browse button is clickable!)

Sent from my ST25i using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

Sicil, I am sorry you had to move!  Moving eats up your days.  But at least the free new gym will help you stay on track.

Good job completing two sets of push ups---woo hoo!

Nephaisys, I'm glad you posted about this.  Now I don't feel so dumb.  I guess I'll wait till they fix this problem.

Shine shine shine!

Thanks for reminding me, rogaecia! I should know better than to try to coordinate while moving...

> Inaugural Stealthy Ninja Bastards G+ Hangout

As expected, none of the times worked for everyone. Therefore, I'm splitting you guys into two times, taking the most popular slots as my guide. You're welcome to attend both if you have the time. However, if you're only going to do one, please try to make the one I've indicated below, so that our numbers are kinda even.

Tuesday August 6th @ 7pm PSTrogaecia, peggysr, montecristo73, aisle4b, sicil

Saturday August 10th @ 11am PST - Aerie, Sabrinamari, Nephaisys, Noileum, sicil

(As I have all of your hangouts IDs, I'll be attending both.)

My poll only shows in my local time zone (Pacific Standard Time), so some of you will have to do some converting.Here's where you can do all that: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I'll try to keep a timer for 45 min, and let you guys know when it's gone by. Of course, we're welcome to talk for as long as we like, but I just wanted to respect everyone's time and other plans.

Oh, and as this is the first hangout and people are logging in from all kinds of locations and platforms, I expect technical problems abound! If you can, try to test out your microphone / speakers beforehand. Maybe make a test call. And say a prayer. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for making it all possible by answering the poll and following along! Super stoked!

Just an annoying motherly type of reminder, folks, the first G+ hangout is today in 8 hours from the time of this posting.

Tune your mics! Ready your webcams! Make sure you're signed onto Google Plus! I'll be attempting to add all of you to a single video hangout at 7pm sharp. I'd imagine you should still hear us if you don't have a mic handy. And type along? ;)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Just an annoying motherly type of reminder, folks, the first G+ hangout is today in 8 hours from the time of this posting.

Tune your mics! Ready your webcams! Make sure you're signed onto Google Plus! I'll be attempting to add all of you to a single video hangout at 7pm sharp. I'd imagine you should still hear us if you don't have a mic handy. And type along? ;)

whatever mom....OK, I'll be there :D 

My new building has an outdoor pool and gym. Free and 2 steps out the door will go far in the rainy months ahead. Looking into sourcing a personal trainer next that will help me through the limited (but new and clean!) equipment.

This helps so much! I think that's part of why I like body weight workouts so much - I get up and do them right away, fewer chances for me to change my mind :P

Week 1 went pretty well for me. I made my standards in such a way that if I follow my goals for 5 days a week, I get an A. I got 5 or 6 days for all of my goals, whooo! I'd like to work on my sugar consumption, but since I'm not making a goal of that until next challenge I'm making it strictly a side quest for now. Keep my eyes on the prize!

MyFitnessPal

Aisle4b, I really like the sane and sustainable approach you are using:

* getting it done right away, so you feel great the rest of the day

* setting goals that are hard but not extreme

* limiting your goals to improve your chances at succeeding at them

Pretty impressive, actually.

Shine shine shine!

Had such an amazing time with Aerie, aisle4b, and sabrinamari last night on Hangouts! Sorry to have missed you rogaecia, we know you tried, but alas you just kept on dropping out. Since the NF photo uploading thing is down, I've shared a screencap of all of us privately with each of you on G+. (It's only amazing in the fact that we were able to get 4 people in the 'room' at the same time.)

Having my doubts on the usefulness of future hangouts for large groups of people. With so many different connection speeds and platforms (PC, Mac, mobile, other), there are bound to be technical problems. For us, sabrinamari couldn't hear aisle4b the whole time so we had to do some rough translating. I think this was a great test group, but with problems even amongst a handful of people, it might be better to look at another approach. Still, technical problems aside, I feel like the night was very encouraging and inspirational! So much gets lost when you're writing things down, and it was great to get to know some of you on a deeper level.

I'm thinking it might help to do this 1-on-1 (or max 3 people if our numbers are uneven). Less chances of technology going wrong, more agreeable to everyone's schedules. The other benefit is that you wouldn't be limited to using G+ - you could 'hang out' in any way that made sense to you or the other person. Could be interesting to swap around every week and get to know most people in the squad by the end of the challenge.

What do you all think?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I think different dates for <4 people would be awesome! Should we do another poll?

I was just thinking we'd pair up and arrange our own schedules. You could do it with a combination of skype, emails, phone... whatever works best for you and your partner. Then the next week, we'd find someone else. Hopefully at the end of the challenge, by process of elimination, we'd get to know everyone quite well.

Then I was thinking of gamifying the experience (as these are the thoughts that run through my head), perhaps posing a mini-challenge to the pairs each week and asking them to report back on their results. Icebreaker for nerds? ;)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I'm so behind on my replies. Woops! This whole 'no internet' thing is really working ;-)

My Jedi council - fully aware we've moved on from this.
You guys. And LegoLady45. If I could tag that gal in here, I would. And all those brilliant people who aren't in our lil' gang. Aw hell, the whole community rocks the socks.

My other half. He's gorgeous. Like... seriously. Well out of my league (haha!) and into his martial arts. Wrestling with him (mind out the gutter, people) is always inspirational, he's rediculously good at what he does.

FitBit community / leaderboard. There's something satisfying about competing in terms of distance walked.

My mum - who's always on hand to give advice. She's always concerned I'm loosing too much weight (I have a history of eating disorders, though you wouldn't think to look at my sillohuette lately - haha!) Her advice is always balanced, but I have to continue assuring her, topping the scales at 240 lbs and loosing between 1 - 2lbs a week is a) not too quickly and B) is probably the healthiest I've ever been.

In terms of my first week... it was mixed.
I did really, really well with my walking. I walked about 35 miles all told last week (that's, what... about 65kms for my transatlantic buddies). I made a horrible mistake (repeatedly!) of eating lots of biscuits and cake, and put on - ashamedly - about 4lbs. Yes. It is possible to eat that many biscuits. Luckily, I only go to that venue once a month. I'm now back to the original weight as when I started this challenge. It's taken a good... 6 days to work off 5-6 days of weakness. Totally not worth it.

I'm getting better at learning to feel hungry. It's ok to be hungry now, and I don't have to satisfy that urge immediately.

My weight routines simply didn't work. I learnt a fair amount about my planning skills last week. I had it rigid in my head - running on Saturday and Sunday, weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Monday would slip by and nothing. Damn. Wednesday would slip by. Double damn! It only struck me last week I was too rigid with my planning. For those unfamiliar with my routine, I wake up anywhere between 4am and 8am, go to work, anywhere between Scotland and Southampton, get home any time between 6pm and 10pm. This changes daily, has no set pattern, and I often only know a week in advance. Being so rigid with my planning was doing me harm... so this week I'm being more flexible with myself, and dedicating time I know I will be home.

Finally, my hording. My bedroom is pretty much sorted.

Overall - some goods, some bads... but that's life!

Can't wait for the G+ hang out - last night sounded awesome!

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

Then I was thinking of gamifying the experience (as these are the thoughts that run through my head), perhaps posing a mini-challenge to the pairs each week and asking them to report back on their results. Icebreaker for nerds? ;)

^^ This!

I'm slinking back in after dropping ALL the balls for several days.  I'm sorry to have missed the Google+ Hangout and will try to do better for future connections.  A) I sort of forgot until I saw the email several hours later; B.) I got overwhelmed by the need to figure out new tech and C) I'm always nervous about social stuff.

I'm getting back on track and will post on my thread with updates on all my goals.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Hey all! After hearing some initial feedback, we're switching the format slightly. The first thing you need to know is:

The Second G+ Hangout (Saturday August 10th @ 11am PST) has been cancelled.

Sorry for the people who were looking forward to this, but promise - we're replacing it with something better.

Also, what follows below is entirely optional. I think it will benefit your personal determination and connectiveness to this squad, but it certainly isn't a required part of the NF challenges. If you're too busy or would prefer to sit this one out, I hope you'll still participate when the results are posted here next week. (Skip to Part 2 to see what I mean.)

> Stealthy Ninja Bastards Mini-Challenge 1

Part 1: The Logistics

1) Determine the squad member you feel like you know the least in this group
If you have more than one person in mind, not to worry - pick one and save the rest for the remaining weeks!

2) As soon as you know who that person is, post their name down in this forum, as well as a few other details...
Thus, if your 'first' is taken, then pick another name. Quickest commentator wins the draw! :D

The other details that need to be in the post:
  • Your local time zone. Absolute must for coordinating schedules!
  • The 'how' - do you prefer a Skype date? Do you like just talking on the phone instead? Do you like emailing or FB messaging? List a few modes methods that you're comfortable with, but limit it to 3 modes of communication. (This is because so many people were having problems with Google Hangouts. Still a great platform, but make sure your partner is comfortable with it too!)
  • If you have any personal information you're exchanging, such as phone numbers or emails, make sure to do so via the private messaging functions on this forum. Don't share this information publicly! (Everyone is probably looking at me by now and saying, "Well, duh...")

3) You have until Saturday August 9 @ 5pm PST to find your person (or people)
If some of our squadmates are too busy or aren't responding, forming groups of 3 are fine as well! Let's just keep it to 3 max, as any more can play havoc on our schedules.

Part 2: The Bad Habit

Got your partner handy? Hurray! Start talking in whatever format works best for the both of you. Here's the theme of your first challenge:

Identify one of the hurdles you think will get in the way for you during this challenge. For example, you might have a thing for fast food after work. As hard as you fight it, when you're stuck in traffic, the only thing getting you through your commute is the taste of cheap, saturated fattiness.

Examine this habit in detail. Give us its history like you would for an on-again, off-again lover. When did the relationship start? What aspects in your life may have influenced its development? When did you first notice that things had changed? How many times have you said to the habit, "We need to talk," or "It's not you, it's me." Why does the habit keep on coming back? What do you notice about yourself and your environment when you give into the habit?

Now stop. Switch roles. Go through everything in Part 2 for the other partner.

Part 3: The Research

Don't give any concrete suggestions to overcoming the habits you discuss (not yet). We've all been there: "I just have to have better willpower." "I need to remember my meal plan." "My pants will hate me." Yeah, we've all been there. We're all still there. This is where your shiny new partner comes in.

Partner, you're going to do some research. Because we're all nerds and we love that stuff, right? When I say research, I don't necessarily mean pouring over academic research papers (but if that floats your boat, go for it!) Instead of giving general advice on-the-spot, go do some digging. Perhaps you have someone who's been through a similar habit. Or maybe you know great resources for tasty fake-cheeseburgers that are easily portable.

Remember: no shaming. The person having this habit probably knows all about why he/she shouldn't do it, but that doesn't stop us, does it? Be a positive source of change through rational, relatable research. Leave out the higher percentage of heart disease or the you'll-die-sooner arguments. We hear all of that daily from our parents, our friends, the government, the media, and more.

Each partner will present their findings on the forum. Provide a brief synopsis of your partner's habit, and outline some preliminary work. Provide your sources, if available - articles, podcasts, book titles, etc. Let us know if there are any places where more research is needed before a hypothesis can be formed. As a squad, we'll take up the threads from there and see if we can provide some more feedback. And we'll probably learn tidbits of useful information along the way while we're at it!

The deadline for posting these findings is next Saturday - August 17 @ 5pm PST.

A final note: It's probably a good idea to stay away from medical conditions, or anything that might be too specific for your partner to handle. For example, if you have a pre-existing condition, you're probably an expert already as to what that means. We're not going to solve that in a week. But, if you find that because of the condition, you're always eating out because you don't have the energy to cook at certain times of day, then maybe your partner can bring some new perspective to your case. Be gentle with each other - we're probably not doctors or nutritionists. And even if we were, we wouldn't be able to advise professionally in this kind of setting.

PPS: If this goes well, it'll be a weekly thing until the end of this challenge. That means, next Wednesday I'll post when you should be naming a new partner for next week. My intention is to give us a few days to connect before each challenge is posted.

Ready? Aaaaand go! (Questions welcome, was written in a hurry, might not be entirely fleshed out.)

EDIT: rogaecia wisely pointed out that we might not know all of our squad members. Here's a handy-dandy list for everyone!

Needing Partners:

montecristo73

All Partner'd Up:

rogaecia - sabrinamari

Nephaisys - aisle4b

Noileum - peggysr

Aerie - sicil

(I also have a much prettier list as a google spreadsheet, so I'll share it all with you privately via your google accouns.)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines