Stealthy Ninja Bastards

Had to come brag here.  Ed and I ran this morning, working on endurance, and I jogged about 3/4 of a 0.9 mile loop.  That's further than I've EVER run before.  I may actually be able to jog the whole 5k in October.  If not that, then certainly the color run in November with sabrinamari.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

I decided on my goals for the next Fitness Challenge (re-posted from my new thread):

This is my second quest on Nerd Fitness.  I know what I am (a Warrior-Druid), but I don't feel comfortable creating a space for myself in one or both of those two guilds yet.  I'm part of Nerd Fitness because of the encouragement of my friend peggysr.

Main Quest: Drop my bodyfat percentage by 2-3% points while continuing to get stronger via consistent workouts and clean eating.

Current bodyfat %: 31.6

Weight: 142.8

Quest Accomplishments:

1.) Plan my food every Sunday using a Paleo approach and track calories via the Lose It! app.  Stay between 1500-1700 calories per day 5 out of 7 days.

Staying within my calorie budget 5x week is an A, 4x week is a B, and 3x week is a C. 2X week is a D, anything less is a fail.

I need 5 adherent weeks to earn an A.
I need 4 adherent weeks to earn a B.
I need 3 adherent weeks to earn a C.

Work out 5-6x a week and track with GymPact.  Go up to a 5-Pact-A-Week plan.

2.) Component 1: My trainer John's weekly weight workouts + Spartan abs 300 twice a week.  

I need 6 adherent weeks to earn an A.
I need 5 adherent weeks to earn a B.
I need 4 adherent weeks to earn a C.

3.) Component 2: Do 45-60 minutes of cardio 4x per week including 2 Zombies, Run! sessions.

4.) Component 3: Begin every morning's workout with 10-15 minutes of meditation in front of my sunlamp.

Life Quest: None

End with a Bang: Challenge ends on my last day of the Omega Pema Chodron retreat.  One week later is Michael's Halloween party.  This year, I'll go as Gozer the Gozerian: dorky, hot and fun.

Reward:

Win this challenge with a B- or better and I earn another $300 towards my paddleboat.

Motivation: 

I NEED to challenge myself and succeed in order to be happy.

I am happy, confident and I feel great about myself when I am strong, fit and lean.

I love being able to look great in all my clothes.

I love my healthy, strong self.

I want to kick ass running mud races!
I want to buy a paddleboat rock it!

Shine shine shine!

Awesome Sabrina! Here's mine, also cross posted:

In the last two challenges, there’s one thing that’s come through loud and clear: I can not do everything. As someone who’s never consistently eaten well or exercised, trying to jump in with both feet really leaves me exhausted, feeling like a failure, and with little to no progress to show.

It’s not sexy, it’s not intense, and it’s definitely not something you’d see in an infomercial, but I’m keeping myself to two goals this challenge, one easy and one hard.

Easy quest: Post on the Nerd Fitness forums, either my thread or someone else’s every day. (+ 2 WIS, +1 CHA)*

While correlation doesn’t equal causation, I can’t help but notice that the times I don’t do well are the times I’m also distanced from this community. I’m hoping that staying more active will help keep me motivated and positive.

Hard quest: With the bread fiends beaten, it’s time to tackle the sugar monster. (+4 STA, +2 CON)*

Kind of. Mostly. For at least five days a week. With as much as a sweet tooth as I have, to keep my sanity I’m giving myself a couple of not ideal but better case scenario outs for myself. I get:

• 1 gallon of juice per week, to be rationed out and diluted with increasing amounts of water

• Unlimited tea, with the amount of honey in it being decreased a little each week.

• Unlimited fruit, since I find on average I only eat a piece of fruit a day. If this becomes a crutch, I’ll eliminate it.

• 1 bar of the darkest chocolate I can stand per week (currently at wimp-level Cadbury’s, working toward 70% dark eventually)

Within this challenge, I will also be avoiding the gluten-y foods I’ve previously cut out of my diet (pasta, bread, tortillas, cookies, etc)

I’m giving myself slight wiggle room for homemade items. For instance, I love making falafel and it’s incredibly nutrient dense while sneaking in some veggies, but requires trace amounts of flour to give it its form. I don’t have a budget for paleo alternatives, so I’m allowing these sorts of exceptions. I don’t have a hard and fast rule for this, just a “gut check†- if I feel guilty, I probably shouldn’t make it. If I don’t feel guilty, it’s a-ok.

Entirely optionally, I have a list of weekly mini-quests to choose from:

(these are add ons for a great week - if I start struggling, any mini-quest gets dropped immediately)

• Stretch before bed and upon waking each day

• Meditate for 5-10 minutes every day

• Have a cup of tea before bed and a cup of tea with breakfast

• Put together a virtual cookbook of my favorite healthy recipes

• Make a lunch date with a coworker

• Cut out the pieces to my quilt in progress

• Go to a meetup from a group I haven’t attended before

• Organize my overflowing cache of craft supplies….without buying storage boxes or bins

• More ideas? We’ll see

For this challenge, I’ll be tracking:

• daily compliance to eating and posting goals

• tally of workouts completed (ungraded, to avoid splitting my focus)

• body weight, body fat percentage, and measurements (beginning and end)

• weekly pass/fail on any mini-quests

And posting weekly updates to my goals.

Now, who’s ready to kick some reasonably challenging but totally do-able ass? I am!

*I didn't use up quite all of my attribute points for the level so that I can reward myself for any mini-challenges completed

MyFitnessPal

Awesome to see new goals!  Here are mine:

Main Quest

I'm ready to start pushing limits:  running more, running faster, lifting heavier weights, building a stronger, healthier self.

This is longer term than just a few months.  I want to lose weight and get stronger.  It will probably take about a year for me to lose enough weight to weigh 150 pounds (or less,) which is the upper end of the suggested weight range for my height.  I'll judge more by how I look and feel than by the number on the scale.  This isn't just about getting SKINNY, though; I want to be able to do more, live longer, and look better.

One of my big intermediate goals is to to run (jog, NOT walk) a Warrior Dash.  I'm working up to that with weekly strength and cardio training and racing regularly.  I've finished two 5k races so far, and hope to run another 3 or 4 races between now and the Warrior Dash on May 10, 2014.

Motivation

I don't want my fitness level and size to limit what I do anymore.

Current Missions

1. Fuel myself properly and earn CON+3 by
    1. Eating ONLY when I'm hungry (1 pt per day)
    2. Eating ONLY real food--minimally processed meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and minimal dairy (1 pt per day)
    3. Not eating refined flour, refined sugar, deep fried foods, or processed foods (1  pt per day)
    4. Drinking plenty of water (1 pt per day)
    5. Eating ONLY between 9 am and 8 pm (1 pt per day)
  2. Get stronger, faster, and more flexible and earn STR+2,  STA+2 and DEX+1 by completing 4-6 workouts every week, alternating strength and cardio workouts, and stretching for at least 10 minutes after each workout.

3. Improve my health, get stronger faster, reduce stress, live longer and earn CON+3 by going to bed by 10 pm every night (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for going to bed by 11 pm)

Life Quest

1. Calm and focus my mind, reduce stress, live longer and earn WIS+2 and CHA+2 by meditating for 15 minutes every day (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for any meditation time)

Grading

A (100%)              34-42 days      25-30 workouts
B  (75%)               25-33 days       19-24 workouts
C  (50%)               16-24 days       13-18 workouts
D  (25%)                 7-15 days        7-12 workouts
F    (0%)                 0 - 6 days        0 - 6 workouts

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Started a new Stealthy Ninja's thread for the new challenge:  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37002-stealthy-ninja-bastards-challenge-2/

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines