Avoiding the dreaded tummy tuck, (or how I am taking my life back)

Today is not the beginning of my story.  It started last October in a doctor's office.  There I sat, after a disastrous weigh in at 278 pounds.  The doctor had just told me that I had to start Diabetes medicine, blood pressure medicine, and would have to have gastric bypass or a lap band put in if I didn't lose weight by my next appointment.  So, I started with diet.  Atkins, it would be.  It was the only thing I hadn't tried, and I thought, "What the hell?"

Now, 9 months later, I weighed in at 221 the other day.  57 pounds lost!  Yay!  Not enough, though.  My next thought, "I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be the healthiest I have ever been".  So, I started strengthening my core with ab exercises along with watching my diet.

That is when it happened.......

"What happened?", you may ask. 

I found this site.

I was on Pinterest one day, looking at core building exercises, and I found an article on sprinting and it's benefits.  At the same time I found an article on why sprinting is such a good ab exercise.  My curiosity piqued, I came to the site and found this great host and wonderful community.

Saturday, July 27, I started my sprint workout.  I warmed up, ran 100mX4 and then stretched my hamstrings, calves, and quads.  Why did no one mention that my groin would hurt?  I followed that up with my ab workout. 

Later that day..........

OMG!  My groin, hip flexors and arms HURT.  I think I am going to need 2 days recovery, but that is ok.  I will be on the track tomorrow morning.  I have kept up with abs and on the first of August, my friend, Jessica, and I are starting a squat challenge.  Look forward to that pain! 

Today is still hard.  My abs hurt in places I have not felt since pregnancy.  I think I need a rest day from abs tomorrow.  Oh, yeah, I almost forgot........

My initial body measurements are as follow:

Waist 40"

Chest 43 3/4"

Hips 50"

Thighs 23"

Don't have a measurement goal, just want to feel comfortable in my own body.

This morning I won a hard fought battle.  Went out at 6:30 am, warmed up, and then ran 4X100m sprints.  Halfway through the second sprint, my left quad spasmed.  Still dealing with it, but I pushed through the last 2 sprints.  Friday will be my last day at 4X100.  Monday, I will go up to 5, and hopefully only need 1 day recovery between interval training days. 

I am taking a rest day on my ab routine, as I thought I was going to die yesterday.  It was the first day of my cycle, and the cramps made everything that much worse, so I am not doing my abs today.  It's hard.  I have gotten into the habit, and don't want to stop, but know I have to. 

2 more days until my squat challenge begins...............

So, here are my goals for the rest of this year......

1.  Be able to do sets of 10 pushups (properly)

2.  Be able to do one pull-up.  I don't care if it is December 31, I WILL do one by the end of the year.

3.  Run 10X100m sprints every other day.

4.  Rock some size 14 jeans.

How I will accomplish these goals.

1.  Complete body weight circuit every other day.  I realize 10 pushup are in the circuit, but I will build until I can do them.

2.  Once push-up goal is met, I will start doing exercises that Steve lined out in his pull-up post until I can do a pull-up.  Also, plan to hang from everything in sight.

3.  Keep building on where I am at.  Right now, I can run 4X100m with 2 days recovery between.

4.  Clean up my diet.  Stay away from processed carbs.  I am finding out that much of the processed crap out there just tastes nasty after eating cleanly for a week or two.

So, that is where I am right now.  When I am not exercising, I try to stay active in all other areas of my life instead of sitting on the couch.  This morning, my tire blew, so I carried 3 streets of my paper route on foot.  They were long streets, too.

Hugs and kisses!

So, last night I started doing dumbbell rows.  3 sets of 10 reps, that were way too easy.  Need heavier weight.  I guess it's time for sand in the ol' milk jug.  Today, I completed 30 squats, my ab routine (35 reps each, and a 20 second plank).  First day of school for the kiddos (5th grade and kindergarten, *SOB*).  Kind of a rough day.  Back to running in the morning.