• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rendiana-jones

Challenge #2 {rendiana-jones}

Main quest: Get healthy and lose ~30lbs

6 Week Challenges: 

1. Quit smoking by the end of the 6 weeks

Each week I will be allowed 1 less cigarette per day, with this week starting at 4 per day. If I stay under the limit every day I get an A, 1-2 days over is a B, 3 days over is a C, and 4 is a D. Going over on more than 4 days is an F for the week. I will average the weeks for my final grade at the end of the challenge. 

2. Eat 100g or less of carbs from grains/sugars each day. Carbs from fruits/vegetables won't count for now as I want to concentrate on getting grains and sugar out of my diet. Same grading system as the smoking cessation.

3. Walk the dog 1/2 hour every day. Although I wanted to build some strength and get running last six weeks, I think quitting smoking and cleaning up my diet are more important, so this challenge is just to keep me moving while I focus on those 2 things. 

Life challenge: Work on programming every day. This can be working on a personal project, or working through tutorials, as ling as in some spare moment I put forth the effort to fit it in. 

Motivation statement to be posted later

Good job balancing your energy out--I think it's really great that you are so aware of priorities and willpower, and that you've found a way to give attention to the more important goals while not ignoring the ones that are on the back burner, so to speak. I really think you've set yourself up for success! Good luck!

Well, I essentially failed the entire first week. I walked the dog... when it wasn't raining and I woke up in time. The life challenge I did manage every day. Smoking, I went over my limit all but one day at work, 0 cigarettes for the weekend. 

Work is where the smoking habit is so ingrained that I can't seem to not do it. My habit isn't a nicotine addiction, because at home I never even think about smoking, and I don't get cranky without them. It's just purely a social habit triggered by breaks at work. 

I'm considering trying an e-cig minus the cartridge thing as a substitute habit. That way I'll be holding something cigarette-like and so on, and then maybe I can slowly sub in some completely different habit. Any thoughts on that?

That may definitely help you. Depending on what your breaks are like, I would day using a cigarette substitute is a good idea, but also consider creating a new habit for break time all together in some way. You could go for a walk, read, whatever works for you and what you can actually do at break time. (And this is coming from someone who knows what this addiction is like!)

We're fans of the e-cigs. I've never been much of a smoker but Amy was. She gave up real cigs in favor of e-cigs. You still get the ritual of smoking but you have a much tighter control over the amount of nicotine and chemicals you are putting in your body. She got hers at CVS. 

And this rain has been crazy! I saw that officially we've gotten 7.67" of rain in the last 10 days but I know some places got 9" just over the weekend. 

Wow you guys, this quitting thing is HARD. 

Tonight's attempted substitute is going to be calling home on one break and working on a project on the other. We'll see how my willpower holds out. The deal I've made with myself is that I'm still allowed my limit of cigarettes, I just have to have them after work. :)

In "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg, he talks about the habit loop being composed of trigger->routine->reward. He used the example of his own habit of getting up at 3 in the afternoon and eating a cookie. He need to lose a few pounds so he wanted to break away from eating a cookie every day. The trigger happened at 3 pm, the routine was getting up from his desk, going to the cafeteria and eating a cookie. He tried several different things to figure out what exactly was the reward. One day he ate an apple. One day he went for a short walk outside. One day he looked around for a co-worker who wasn't busy and chatted for a few minutes. He learned that it was less about being hungry or getting the hit of sugar and more about breaking up the afternoon. So he replaced his cookie habit with taking a few minutes to chat with coworkers. 

Obviously there is a little more to it with smokes since you've got the physical craving for nicotine. It sounds like you are on the right path by finding other things to do at break time. That book is a good one if you like to read. I need to reread it soon. Good luck! Remember we're out here pulling for you when break time rolls around tonight!