j_addict: Maintaining My Healthy Lifestyle

j_addict

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

Goal #1: Bikram yoga: I did not attend this week. I don't have an excuse. The boyfriend wasn't feeling very high energy and I wasn't prepared for class, so I didn't go. I didn't eat early enough because I was waiting for him, and was a little scared to go to a class by myself. 

We are planning to get back on the horse this weekend. 0/1

Goal #2: Eat ~1200 calories per day: This was a rocky start. Originally I wanted to start eating more and eating more good things. Well I started eating more, but did more splurging than eating well. We got burgers on Friday which was an alright day, pretty healthy just more carbs and calories than usual. But last night I (stupidly) ordered a pizza. It's my weakness. I order once a month which is usually around my period. I just crave carbs and dairy and pizza satisfies it. And then I always feel guilty the next day. So today I tossed the left over half of the pizza and am drinking detox tea and lots of water. It just doesn't taste or feel as good that day as it does for the rest of the month, so I'm going to try and learn from this and recover. It happened, it's over, and I'm going to try and stop doing it. The only other "official" down day was the first day of the challenge because I only at 800 calories. I'm learning and adding in what I can to round out the day. 5/7

Goal #3: Run once a week: I didn't do this. We were going to run on Saturday since we didn't go to yoga, but we didn't end up doing it. We got caught up in a show, and wanted an early dinner so I didn't get out. Then Sunday was a rough day for me mentally (health issue going on) and we took a nap instead. It was good that we had a down weekend, but a little frustrating that we did during the challenge. I'm glad we took some time to rest and relax since we probably needed it. 0/1

Goal #4: Finish one book a week: I did this! I took some time and sat in a quiet place, and finished a book I'd been working on for awhile, Writers on Writing. I am starting The Descendants this week. I loved the film and have watched it several times, so I'm hoping the book reads quickly and I enjoy it just as much. 1/1

Overall a tough first week. I had some slips and some "fails" but I am going to use this week to get back on track and hopefully have a better week 2. Thanks for all the support, I appreciate the comments and the growing friendships.

Level 2 Adventurer

STR:2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 1 

Challenges: #1 , #2 , 

Current Challenge: Back to Basics

MINI QUEST #2

I completed the quest, despite some technical difficulties with the spreadsheet. Here are my five movements. 

I went with yoga poses (thanks tamzilla for the link) http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_poses

1. Bird of Paradise pose

2. Revolved half moon pose

3. Revolved triangle pose

4. Bridge

5. Frog pose (since you're laying on the ground I called this 5 points of contact)

+1 STR

Level 2 Adventurer

I had a thought about doing Yoga poses for the mini-challenge as well.  Just checked and found out about it.  I have never done yoga either, but have a passing interest in trying it.

As for your Pizza order, do not beat yourself up over it.  Quite a few lifestyle plans actually call for a "cheat day".  They stress not to go overboard, but by having that day once a week or twice a month to treat yourself (moderation is key) then you do not need to feel guilty, nor do you need to feel like you are denying yourself.  In the case of your pizza, if you ordered a large, next time order a small.  It's wasteful to throw away food (and money), and if you order that next size or two down, you won't be as tempted to overeat.  Heck, two personal pizzas can help with this.  Once again, with moderation, and only on your treat days.

Adventurer level 1

STR: 1 DEX: 2 STA: 4 CON: 3 WIS: 5 CHA: 1

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34205-seleas-challenge-2-without-the-fail/?p=625040%5B/url]

*heard in the helm of a space cruiser* Helmsman, what is that pinging sound?

It's the natives... They're firing arrows at us.

@ Seleas Thanks about the pizza. I was planning to order a small but the large was actually cheaper! I know I did toss half the pizza so it really didn't work out either way, but I felt better about getting rid of it than indulging again. Next time I plan to eat something else instead, and save my "cheat" for when I can order a slice or two, or split a pizza with friends. It's hard because I get cravings and it's so easy to order in, but next time I'll have to try the mini pizzas we have in the freezer. I think it will help knowing that the ordered in doesn't really taste as amazing as I think, and I'll feel better about the smaller portion. 

Week 2, Day 3

Now that my health issue is better under control it's been easier to focus on my eating clean and healthy. I had a crazy weekend to wrap week 1 but I feel much better and back on track. 

Goal #2: 1200 calories per day: Monday was a short day with 994 calories in, but I tend to under eat on Mondays. It can be a thing to work on, or I can see it as more of a fasting day. It doesn't bother me too much. Tuesday was 1215, I went over in carbs by eating sweet potato tortilla chips, but it was a rough day so I understand why I ate more. Today I plan to eat 1228 with half a banana and macadamia nuts as my afternoon snacks. Yogurt for dessert and a good dinner. I've found that adding avocado to dinner really helps and is like a treat anyways. 

Goals #1 & 2: We plan to get back on track this weekend and go back to yoga. My BF's neck seems to be improving. He could have gone too far with it in the first yoga session and then further injured it in the second, on top of his arthritis. I'm thinking we will be back in class this weekend. And a run will be something I'll be pushing us to do on Sunday. 

Goal #4: Reading: The Descendants is a great book! It's so easy and fun to read. If you liked the movie you have to read it because who doesn't want to imagine George Clooney reading every word to you?! The book has great balance, the chapters read quickly and it's easy to demolish 50 pages per day and want to do more. 

Level 2 Adventurer

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

Goal #1: attend Bikram yoga 1x a week: This goal really isn't flying. We have come to the conclusion that while we like the yoga a lot, it takes up a whole day. Since it's in the heat we have to make sure we eat enough but eat it all 4 hours before class, and stay hydrated. It is taxing on the body and we really don't like that the workout takes a whole weekend day. It's fun but then we are exhausted and Sunday is a slow day too. We've been enjoying our down weekends relaxing and working on our relationship and spending time together. He still has passes for classes, so I'm going to just pay per class when we decide to go, since my month trial is up this weekend. 0/1

Goal #2: eat ~ 1200 calories per day: I only went below 1000 calories on one day. The rest of the days I was between 1000 and 1350 which is very good for me. I've loosened up with my diet and have allowed some carbs, and also some more desserts. Overall the stress of restricting my diet to more paleo to lose weight was having the opposite effect. Once I loosened up and allowed myself to enjoy, my weight dropped. But I did indulge a bit too much by having pasta for dinner so I am still figuring out how to balance it overall. 6/7

Goal #3: Run 1x a week: We also haven't been doing this. We have been focusing on loosening up and enjoying our diet and time more, which usually puts running on the back burner. Hopefully we will refocus soon. A lot has been going on and while I know it's no excuse for slacking in the workouts, we tend to fly through a day and eat dinner before we get a run in. We still really enjoy it and hope to get into it soon. 0/1

Goal #4: finish a book a week: I finished The Descendants this week. I really enjoyed it. I loved the film and this book reads very much like the film, which is nice to see. I like how true the film was to the book, and how the details in the book are greater than the images they created. Plus it's always fun to hear George Clooney narrating in my head. This week I am starting Beautiful Disaster. I'm already about 60 pages in and while it's a little too young adult/ all about boys, there's some mystery there and a whole ton of pages left so I'm excited to see what happens. 1/1

Level 2 Adventurer

Hey, finally having a look at your thread

Well done with the calorie counting, even if you only manage to complete that goal then you've done amazingly! Keep on going :D

I know exactly what you mean by needing to have a few more treats.. good decision :)

Good luck for week 3!!

Wow congratulations on being engaged!

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

Thanks!

@abs: I've found that by really allowing myself everything and choosing yes or no really helps. So recently I've been indulging, but the lack of restriction is what's working right now. And I'm learning all the while. If I see the scale creep up, then I know to make better choices and calm down a little. I know the last five are the hardest to lose, so I'm trying to relax and enjoy, as well as work on losing but not as much as I was before. I'm happy where I am (although I'd like less belly fat) and am glad that I feel this way before I reach my goal. 

I'm happy that two out of the four goals are going really well. I've been toying with adding in a home workout just so I'm still moving, but I'm not so good at home workouts so I'll see how it goes. I did Blogilates for awhile and that was nice, but I'm just not sure what I want to try and tackle. Usually I jump into something quickly, only to fail at it later, so I'm thinking on it now and hopefully something eye catching crops up.

@Tateman: It's difficult to find balance in everything, but I'm glad that I'm working on the calories. It helps me loosen up and realize that getting to goal weight isn't about eating less and starving, because most of the time the scale doesn't move anyway due to the stress and all that. 

Level 2 Adventurer

Hi Rogaecia, thanks for stopping by! The program is $100 a year for unlimited books a month. The $100 a year subscription delivers 2 books, so I make a queue and then they deliver two books, then when I'm done I mail them back in a prepaid envelope and they send me another one. I average about 2-4 books a month, so it's around the cost of a book. It's not exactly cost effective bc of the time to return and deliver again, so I'm going to use the library next year. But it's nice when I want to read books my library doesn't have and that I don't know I want to own. But for the cost I might as well own them. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't read fast enough and they don't deliver fast enough for me to get more than 4 books a month out of it. Good experience though. 

Level 2 Adventurer

This week has been going alright. My calories have been between 1100 and 1300 so that's really good. I've been adding in more carbs, which I'm okay with but I've noticed some increased belly bulge that wasn't there earlier. It could just be a "fat" day, and also could be bloat from shark week coming, but it really is bugging me today. I know I should cut down on my carbs (grains) again, especially since I'm not working out, and stop eating refined sugar (which I've been eating almost nightly for a whole week). My carbs have been over 100 for 7 days, so I'm going to try and go without a snack tonight, since I had cereal for breakfast/lunch and hopefully start fresh tomorrow. 

I know I can do without most of the carbs, but I just get tired of salad. We agreed earlier that we would try to keep our carbs to just the panko breadcrumbs we have on chicken and fish for dinners, but I've been really slacking. 

Anyone have any paleo-centric breakfasts and lunches that aren't eggs and bacon? I'm getting lazy and that means reaching for simple quick and terrible for me carbs. 

I finished my book, Beautiful Disaster, this week and hope to start a new one soon. I'm really liking the reading goal and am doing well with calories, it's just the moving that will be tough. The bf wants to lose his last 9 pounds and start toning up, so hopefully if we don't get our butts in gear and run, at least we might start doing something to help burn this fat. I know we need to move more, we just have been in a rut.

Level 2 Adventurer

What about something like a sweet potato hash?  That could give you decent carbs, and not be refined grains type carbs.  I see a few that either have bacon, or a fried egg.  I'm sure you could leave that out though.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs  or http://helenjane.com/2013/02/21/sweet-dude-sweet-potato-breakfast-hash/

I've been getting all my carbs from veggies.  I have a frozen bag of a "California Mix" that is broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  I just roast them with some EVOO, and whatever seasonings I feel like.

Thanks for the tips, Tateman. I don't mind making eggs and bacon but it's the dishes I'm not liking. We have a set amount of pans and space, so making a big breakfast (big by dishes standards) requires a bit more time. I will definitely take your advice and work with sweet potatoes. I have tried fries and it was a fail so I guess I'll have to give it another go since they are paleo and could satisfy my carb cravings. We have sweet potato fries from Trader Joes, but it would be nice to be able to make my own. As for the veggies you gave me a great idea. I can get the frozen kind and make them for lunch with a side of meat, instead of always doing a salad. That way I still get tons of veggies but it's a mix from the salad with dressing and a chicken breast. We don't have much room since we eat fresh veggies for dinner every night, but I'm not against frozen for lunch and it's easy. 

I also need to get in the habit of making extra so I can have lunch the next day. I do it sometimes, but not always and now that I can make zucchini noodles I really should get on that so I have no excuse for lunches. 

Level 2 Adventurer

Yeah, my main reason for getting any frozen veggies was for convenience factor.  Since I am at home, I can afford a little time for roasting things for lunch.  This week though I have ate a lot of things that I cooked on the weekend.  Like the chili I made.  I want to try to make a vegetable beef stew one weekend too.  That way it's full of stuff I can eat, and is quite to reheat :)

Thanks everyone.

@Tateman: I know many people use a crockpot to make soups and stews, which makes it really easy to not only cook but reheat, so your stew might fair well in that especially since you're home to check on it. 

@KingLeeroy: Thanks so much for the boost! 

Level 2 Adventurer

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

GOAL #1: attend Bikram yoga 1x a week: This was a total no go. Since yoga takes up the whole weekend due to the time and needing to prepare my body we decided against it. I did get my money's worth, and I may attend with the BF because he still has sessions on his account. As much as I like Bikram I think I like running better since it only takes 30 minutes and I feel I can gauge myself and see my progress more clearly. Definitely a great experience though. 

I may change this goal to working at home once a week since I feel that will be a better goal now that I know I'm not going to be going to Bikram weekly anymore. 

GOAL #2: 1200 calories per day: I've been doing well on this in that I've loosened up on eating, but I've also let myself go with it. I had a bunch of junk, but managed to keep my calories under 1800 every day, with only a couple days where I went over 1200. I know I've got a weird/bad relationship with food since I stress about it too much. I've been thinking that paleo is the way but it seems too restrictive recently, like if I see my carbs are too high I get anxious that I can't eat anything I want to. So I think moderation might be a better option right now, with me looking to eat good healthy foods and having fruit or yogurt for snack instead of thinking I can't have anything I want and breaking and eating cookies.

GOAL #3: Running 1x a week: Epic fail. We didn't even think about running much past asking each other if we should and then forgetting about it. We clearly aren't on a health kick right now and prefer the couch and television to being outside and moving. It makes sense since we were totally into it earlier, but hopefully we will revive ourselves, although I don't have an ETA on this as of now. 

GOAL #4: Read a book a week: I finished Beautiful Disaster this week which was a whopping 400+ pages. It was really good and I was proud of my dedication. I'm switching back to my Kindle to read a book I got for free awhile ago. It's really good and 270-ish pages. It's called Still Life With Brass Pole. It's a bit out there, but should be a good read.

Overall I'm still learning. I'm glad I've decided not to push myself into Paleo and more see what works for myself right now. I'm aiming to eat clean as much as I can, especially since I've had a ton of slip ups recently, but I think it was necessary for me to enjoy and now get back to making better choices. I know it will take some time to get right with food and have a good relationship, especially since I never thought I could lose 15 pounds on my own and I did, but I've learned a lot and continue to do so. 

Level 2 Adventurer

@Tateman, I agree. For me it's never straightforward where I do it or I didn't, but more about the whys either why I did it or why I didn't. So far it's "easy" to eat whatever I want to increase the calories and "easy" to spend some time every afternoon with my book. The other things are more difficult but I'm learning the whole way. I'm glad my goals are more tailored to me this time, and that will only help with whatever comes up next time.

Level 2 Adventurer

Hello j_addict- overall, a pretty awesome week you had ;) 

The last two weeks I had crustless quiche for breakfast that I made with spinach and mushrooms the first week and last week I added some bacon. I like the quiche because it is easy, I just put it in the oven while I get ready for work and then it's ready to eat. This week I decided to back off the quiche because of all the dairy in it and see how I do. The dairy could be good or bad, this week will tell. 

I used to also do smoothies for breakfast (because I was always on the run, run, ruuunnnn  :onthego:). The smoothies had 2 cups of almond milk, 1 cup of blueberries, some green food powder and hemp protein. I get sick of eating the same thing all the time, so this challenge I decided that I would eat breakfast at my kitchen table daily. It's a good set up because when I don't want to get up to work out, I have to remind myself that I have to turn the oven on to pre-heat in order to have breakfast. I'm obviously very food motivated :D

I hope this coming week is amazing for you!

@Rogaecia Thanks for the tips! I definitely need to do better with my eating. Reaching my calorie goal is one thing, eating good things is another. I will definitely have to try the quiches, since they're easy enough. Could you point me in the direction of a recipe? I also like the idea of a smoothie because I do have some almond milk that needs to be used up, and some blueberries before they go bad. 

I've decided to alter my goals a bit so that I can re-focus my efforts. 

Goal #1 was attending bikram, but now that I'm not doing that I've decided to do a Nerd Fitness workout at least once a week. I'm not going to pigeon hole myself by saying it has to be the beginner bodyweight workout, but it has to be a workout. 

The bodyweight workout took me like 5 minutes so I have no real excuse, and I'm sweating after just the five minutes.

Goal #2 was getting at least 1000 calories per day. I have done very well with this, but haven't been eating as healthy as I should. So now it's eating 1,000 to 1,500 calories per day. This will help to cap my overeating, and help me make wiser choices. 

The running goal and the reading goal still stand, hopefully I'll get a run in sometime soon and it will work out. 

Level 2 Adventurer

Hi j_addict, modifying your goals is a great idea. Whatever it takes to succeed and not get down on yourself is an awesome move. The quiche I made is this one. I like goat cheese and it gave it a nice taste kick. I am sure you can substitute any other type of yummy cheese you are into. 

That website is also full of awesome recipes that I like. 

Best of luck and keep on going strong  :panda:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines