Actually if you want to use sugar I find that it's better than the agave nectar. Also, I didn't think sugar wasn't paleo as long as you use ingredients that are also paleo. Have you heard of the cookbook Gather? I forget who it's by, but they use sugar in their recipes, but they have also been eating paleo for a lot longer than most people I know.

Level 3 Fire Ranger

Strength: 4 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 5 Constitution: 4 Wisdom: 6 Charisma: 4

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36822-fai-this-is-war/

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39582-fai-this-is-war-round-two/

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56286-fa-fing-my-negative-self-influence/(New challenge!)

"When you walk up to opportunities door, don't knock...kick that bitch in smile, and introduce yourself." -Dwayne Johnson

Good morning, everyone! Do any of you have any tried and true savory recipes for sweet potatoes? I want to like them, but... it's hard. I'm not a fan of the sweet squash stuff and that's what sweet potato has always tasted like to me. FWIW I don't eat strictly paleo. Most of my meals tend to land on the paleo side, unless I get husbandtaged but I'm pretty open to healthier food regardless of which side it lands on. 

Level 2 || Bespectacled Viking

STR 4.5 | DEX 2 | STA 3 CON 2 WIS 2.5 CHA 2 

Blawwwg

Challenge 2 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Challenge 1 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

My recipe for sweet potatoes include: slicing or making into "fries", garlic salt, chili powder, cinnamon, olive oil (or coconut oil, which I think is paleo?), put them in a bag and shake, making sure the pieces are coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, mix, and kind of estimate how much longer they need. the fries get a litle crispy but are still soft. Mmm. You can also do this with carrots and it is delicious.

Otherwise sometimes I cook them and put them on top of spinach with dried cranberries and balsamic.

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

My recipe for sweet potatoes include: slicing or making into "fries", garlic salt, chili powder, cinnamon, olive oil (or coconut oil, which I think is paleo?), put them in a bag and shake, making sure the pieces are coated. Put them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, mix, and kind of estimate how much longer they need. the fries get a litle crispy but are still soft. Mmm. You can also do this with carrots and it is delicious.

Otherwise sometimes I cook them and put them on top of spinach with dried cranberries and balsamic.

Mmmmmm, I may try this tonight too :) 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

Any runners here? I am slightly worried about my knee pain. It happend awhile ago when I was really, really new to running and I found out that changing the way my right foot strikes down makes it better, also making sure my shoes are tied appropriately. I figure I will hold off on the rest of the C25K this week and do low-impact cardio and stretching (like yoga or pilates). I WANT to do at minimum the Beginner's Body Weight workout, but am not sure if would exacerbate something (I would omit the jumping jacks and replace them with slow knee raises). Any ideas?

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

I have had some really serious knee pain in the past and honestly recommend talking to a physical therapist if you can. Depending on the location of the pain it could be something as simple as the tendons being tight and muscles bunching or it could be more serious, like tendonitis or pulled ligaments. In either case usually the recommendation is biking- it warms everything up with out the impact, before leg work, using exercise bands attached to chairs or similar and basically wrapping it around your ankle and lifting your leg to 90 degrees with resistance. I did find that as sometimes painful as it was that doing leg presses and light weight leg extension made a huge difference, but again it really depends on why the pain is there. I still have to do low impact cardio - like elliptical or biking but have started being able to do squat jumps after about 6 months of really focusing on strengthening the muscles. I'm hoping to be able to actually run by the end of the year. I bet the real runners out there have better advice though, and I preemptively defer. Hope this helps though! 

Blawwwg

Hi E-mo, I've run off and on for years and have finally given up on the notion that I'm going to regularly pound out (literally on my body) 5 clicks unless it's for a race or something. I say this because I switched to a lower profile shoes about 6 months ago and ever so slowly started building up my distance and then every once in a while I felt a pain in my foot. I ignored it until one day I went for a run and it hurt. 15 minutes into my run it was still hurting and I was sitting in a park thinking "I can't walk home." I texted my boyfriend but sucked it up and hobbled home, went to the doctor, turned out it was a stress fracture. Also, from what I read online, this is a normal running injury! I'm thinking that instead of pounding my feet on the ground thousands of times I'm going to instead bike or do short bursts through interval training. 

If your body is hurting listen to it. I don't know if your in the states or how readily medical care is for you but if you can go see a doctor. Exercise should cause stiff muscles but not joint pain. Also evaluate your footwear, how many kms do you have on your shoes? Check to see how many clicks shoes are good for, and make sure your getting enough support/cushion in your shoes if they're still under mileage. Next how are you landing, are you landing on your heel or forefoot? I'm not sure which is better but I'd look online and see which form is linked to knee pain. I wish I had more for you but make sure you ice it after a run if it hurts, elevate it, try to avoid workouts that work your knees like squats, jumping rope, jumping jacks, the whole nine!  

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Any runners here? I am slightly worried about my knee pain. It happend awhile ago when I was really, really new to running and I found out that changing the way my right foot strikes down makes it better, also making sure my shoes are tied appropriately. I figure I will hold off on the rest of the C25K this week and do low-impact cardio and stretching (like yoga or pilates). I WANT to do at minimum the Beginner's Body Weight workout, but am not sure if would exacerbate something (I would omit the jumping jacks and replace them with slow knee raises). Any ideas?

Yup, I've been running off and on for years. I always go for rest and ice first off, personally. When I trained for a half-marathon, I also got knee pain, as well as hip and ankle pain. I had to stop increasing my miles each week and increase every other week instead. So your strategy sounds solid according to my personal experience. Hope your knee feels better soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

missrackl

Level 1 Rebel Reboot

Activities: cycling, running, snowshoeing

Fandoms: Rick and Morty, LotR, Thursday Next, Star Wars (of course!)

Goals: 1) Keep on running, 2) Eat on diet, 3) Read a book

Blargh hump day.... PoolboyManuel made me these egg in a bell pepper ring this morning which contributed to my laziness.... is it not Friday yet? 

Ok, so I thought a little more about this competition idea, we could do it two ways: First way at the end everyone PMs me their vote for who they think did the best in achieving their goals and in being an accountabilibuddy. Second way, every week someone makes a challenge and whoever wins the most challenges wins at the end. 

The second option requires more involvement by everyone because I'd need volunteers to make a challenge and track it for the week but people get more regular positive feedback and motivation on a weekly basis. What's the consensus? 

For a prize what I could do is lay out a few options: Maple Syrup (I picked this because I love it and we have shit tonnes of it in Canada), a weighted jump rope, I'll check out some kind of protein powder (I saw cookies n cream flavour on sale at walmart the other day!! Mmmm), any other suggestions? I could do a 20$ gift card too?

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Not doing too bad, I was worried yesterday that we were going to have to go out to eat, but we prevailed! For some reason my husband decided last night that the leftover chicken I had made was unsafe to eat (not true it tasted and smelled totally fine both before and after I reheated it) and I thought we would have to pick something up. Luckily, he's pretty on-board with the meals at home idea for budget reasons and made himself some oatmeal. I still ate the chicken and I'm feeling just fine...

Also, making progress on cleaning the house, though the first 2 rooms were the easiest since I had gotten them about half way done a couple of weeks ago when my son was sick and I had to take a day off of work with him. Found a biking club yesterday online in our area and thinking about starting to do rides with them for a little variety. Haven't ridden yet this week, but we usually do all of our long rides on the weekends for time sake.

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

For the challenge, I think according to the "official" rules, we aren't really supposed to do side competitions until after we've completed a full challenge to help focus on our main ones. Maybe to help with the weekly motivation though we could have everyone vote each week for 1 point per vote (can't vote for yourself obviously.) Then at the end we do 2 votes, one for the last week and one for the full challenge and a full challenge vote gets 2 points. Whoever has the most total points by the end wins. What do you guys think about that? Any prize would be super cool imo, but it might be easier on you ShotgunSally to do a gift card so you wouldn't have to pay as much in shipping. Though ordering something online and shipping it direct would probably spare that cost too. 

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

I have to agree that side challenges might need to wait for the next full challenge - but I like the idea of voting each week. I'd also be happy to assist in an end of challenge prize - an NF gift card might be pretty cool :)

Blawwwg

Yeah I was trying to figure out how we could do weekly challenges that tie in everyones goals but my head just ended up hurting >< I like Wollios idea better because it incorporates a weekly element plus an overall element! 

SO!

Every Sunday send me your vote for who you think has done the best supporting others wise and own objectives wise! I'll add a spreadsheet and keep track of the winner winner chicken dinner every week. I'll also announce it on here :) 

The NF gift card sounds like a good idea too! Ani don't worry about it, you focus on winning and I'll get you a prize XD XD 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Not doing too bad, I was worried yesterday that we were going to have to go out to eat, but we prevailed! For some reason my husband decided last night that the leftover chicken I had made was unsafe to eat (not true it tasted and smelled totally fine both before and after I reheated it) and I thought we would have to pick something up. Luckily, he's pretty on-board with the meals at home idea for budget reasons and made himself some oatmeal. I still ate the chicken and I'm feeling just fine...

Also, making progress on cleaning the house, though the first 2 rooms were the easiest since I had gotten them about half way done a couple of weeks ago when my son was sick and I had to take a day off of work with him. Found a biking club yesterday online in our area and thinking about starting to do rides with them for a little variety. Haven't ridden yet this week, but we usually do all of our long rides on the weekends for time sake.

I can relate to your husband, I'm usually the one that is like "babe.... that chicken is a couple weeks old, maybe it's time to toss it?" but he has an iron gut and never gets sick so when he eats it anyways there are no repercussions! Hahahaha, that being said, sometimes I'm a little over worried when I don't need to be :S When in doubt we refer to google!! 

Good work on the rooms :) I see some good progress on your spreadsheet too! You have a breezeway? We have one at work but our house is way to small to be sporting a breezeway :( Colour me impressed! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Yeah I was trying to figure out how we could do weekly challenges that tie in everyones goals but my head just ended up hurting >< I like Wollios idea better because it incorporates a weekly element plus an overall element! 

SO!

Every Sunday send me your vote for who you think has done the best supporting others wise and own objectives wise! I'll add a spreadsheet and keep track of the winner winner chicken dinner every week. I'll also announce it on here :)

The NF gift card sounds like a good idea too! Ani don't worry about it, you focus on winning and I'll get you a prize XD XD 

We could also do a 3 point vote every week - one for main goal, one for life goal, one for generally being supportive and such. 

Blawwwg

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines