Radialgirl will never lose hope

radialgirl

So this will be my second go at the challenges. My first was as a druid and I did not complete it due to becoming supah busy and my challenge was no longer a priority. This time I'm going in KNOWING I will be supah busy, so I will be factoring that in from the start of my challenge. Here it goes!

MAIN QUEST

Rehabilitate my back injury. So the background on this is that I am a competitive sailor and have succumb to an unfortunately typical sailing injury. Most people have quads that are overdeveloped compared to their core, but due to the specific motions of sailing this imbalance puts HUGE strain on your hips flexors, which in turn puts HUGE strain on your lower back, which makes sailing really difficult and painful and life sucks. It's been over a YEAR since I completed all the races in a regatta (sailing competition) due to my struggles with this injury.

MISSIONS

So over the course of this challenge, I will be competing in two major competitions, Canada Summer Games in Sherbrooke Quebec (away 1-10 August) and Canadian Youth Nationals in Vancouver, BC (29 August-1 September, likely away for on-site training a few days before this). Because of this, I DO have more than three missions, some competition specific and some general training specific.

Competition Missions

1. Know my limits.

I'm generally good at this, but the important nature of these regattas will increase the temptation to push too hard. 

2. Proper recovery is PARAMOUNT.

If I have to ice bath/stretch/roll out/whatever for 2 hours after sailing, that's okay. Being able to race the next day is more important to me than dinner with the team.

Training Missions

1. Continue to strengthen my core.

So far regular yoga (4-5 times a week) has been fantastic for this. My family is moving to be closer to the sailing club sometime mid August, and I MUST find a studio in that area so I can continue with this. Also, beginning after Youth Nationals, I will re-introduce 3 weekly gym sessions into my dryland routine, with a focus on my physio- based core strengthening exercises. 

2. Start my next layer of physio.

I have found great relief through a treatment called intramuscular stimulation (painful but works!) to loosen up my muscles, but I've mostly gotten all that I can out of it. I will be moving on to myofascial release treatment, in order to relax the fascia tissue so I can continue to effectively stretch my muscles.

3. NEVER LOSE HOPE! (seriously, clicky-clicky because this video is amazing)

This comes from my other favourite fitness-y website, Parilexx, a by-athletes, for-athletes blog run by Ian and Justyn Warner, two Canadian Olympic-level track athletes. It has been extraordinarily hard to continue with my sport through this injury, but I have recently decided to reset and treat every day as a new one. Where I was has nothing to do with where I will be. The biggest part of this mission will be to get back in the habit of logbooking after every on-water and dryland session, and then some. Putting my thoughts somewhere outside of me, whether they are negative or positive, really helps me keep things in perspective.

MOTIVATION

Sailing is my passion and the long-term driving force behind this quest is my goal to represent Canada at the Olympic Games. I am aiming to qualify first for the 2020 games, and while this may seem like a long way off, I need to start training NOW. This injury has been a serious set back in my youth career, and I CANNOT continue to just do my best to live with it. 

For those of you interested in following my results at Canada Summer Games, I have been told there will be real-time GPS tracking of all boats, and I will DEFINITELY share that link as soon as i have access to it :D

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Where I am has nothing to do with where I will be.

I've done my yoga classes each day so far this week! I'm pretty said today'll be pretty much my last class at this studio. I did some research into studios in my new area and I think I've found one that will be a good fit. There's a couple women from my sailing club that go to this studio on a semi-regular basis as well, so it will be nice to have some yoga friends :) I have also remembered to write about my practice in my logbook, so that's really great.

I am SO EXCITED for Games! Maybe almost too excited. My team is driving up to Edmonton tonight, and then ALL of Team Alberta flies to Sherbrooke tomorrow morning eeeeeeee yayayayay! 

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Where I am has nothing to do with where I will be.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines