teabunneh runs longer (and consistently!)

redcat

I haven't participated in a challenge in a while. I'm a runner that decided to do only other things besides run for a long while, only to discover I missed running.... a lot.

So, after a lot of thought, I've decided to chalk it all up to side quests of life and get back to my main quest for a while.

Main Quest

Run an ultra marathon. Particularly, the North Country Trail Run 50 miler. Before that though, I need to advance to and beyond the full marathon stage. This will be my training focus.

Mission 1

Run 4x a week (M W TH S) - long run on the weekend. Focusing on running for a solid time frame for the next six weeks to build endurance back up after a long while off. 
I will be participating in 3 virtual races during the duration of this challenge (these might be partially walked - especially the longer distance one I had planned)

Mission 2

Maintain activity on rest days, whether it be walking or some form of light strength training

Mission 3

A very important mission for the sake of the main quest. Absolutely, under no circumstances should I consume foods that are known to trigger my migraines.
This list includes
- Wheat
- Dairy
- Soy
- Alcohol
- Fake Sugar

I'm currently following the Whole30 program & I expect to maintain that with the addition of more sweet potatoes for post workout fuel.

Life Side Quest

This is embarrassing for me to admit, but we've had a mountain of clean laundry that gets cycled through repeatedly but never gets put away for the last 4 years - there's three of us in the house... I mean MOUNTAIN. My side quest is to conquer the mountain this challenge period. That's it. It sounds small: it is not.

Accountability

I blog! Fancy that! :redface: hehe. http://runningpaleo.com
Motivation

My boy. So someday we can run together & he won't have to worry about me not being there for him because I wasn't healthy enough.
post-13051-0-46817100-1375132628_thumb.j

Redcat, Hero of Rivertown (once known as Teabunneh)

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

"Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford

Yeah another trail runner!  And paleo too!  Nice goals and have fun conquering the mountain.

Note: your link points to your challenge, though I was able to type in runningpaleo.com to get there.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Yeah another trail runner!  And paleo too!  Nice goals and have fun conquering the mountain.

Note: your link points to your challenge, though I was able to type in runningpaleo.com to get there.

I think I fixed the link, thanks for pointing that out! 

To be fair I run a lot of roads too lol, I just like trails best :)

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

I ran 5k this morning: it's been a while since I've been down with migraines. What should have been an easy distance for me was actually pretty rough and involved a lot of walking. I realize that this is a combination of things.

• I'm out of endurance condition, that's just the state of the union. This just means I need to scale back and be more realistic, focusing more on running consistently for time rather than pace/distance. It will tack on a few weeks of training to get back to where I was. 
  • I'm still within the first two weeks of the Whole30; after perusing the Whole30 forums it's rather clear that a harsh degradation of athletic performance occurs during this time period as the body is transitioning to using fat stores as primary fuel source rather than carbohydrates. Frustrating as it is, I recognize that it's a necessary hit in performance for a better fuel economy payout later.
  • It's almost August: HELLO ragweed allergies, so good to see you again. Tomorrow, I'll pull out some antihistamine before my run.  

To that end, I've adjusted my missions for this portion of my quest. The ultimate goal remains the same.

Great goals and challenge - sorry to hear about your migraines - hope things improve.

Good luck - looking forward to following challenge.

Thanks, the migraines will pass, it's kinda just something I've learned to live with. I'm trying really hard to eat better, avoiding a lot of things seems to help a great deal :)

So, I went out to eat with the family last night and ordered my food as carefully as I could but I'm convinced that either soy or gluten was included in my burger (seasoning perhaps, I wasn't specific enough on that, or maybe they use soybean oil to grill at that place!?!?!) either way... RAGING migraine this morning which means no run. I will be traveling out of town this evening as well so i may have to eat out again (also cuts into the possibility of getting a run in tonight). 

I'm going to plan for a run tomorrow morning if nothing else & perhaps get a walk in on lunch today if I can tolerate the sunlight by then. 

Not cool. I'm blacklisting that restaurant.  :disgust:

Life Side Quest

This is embarrassing for me to admit, but we've had a mountain of clean laundry that gets cycled through repeatedly but never gets put away for the last 4 years - there's three of us in the house... I mean MOUNTAIN. My side quest is to conquer the mountain this challenge period. That's it. It sounds small: it is not.

Hey, I know that mountain ! ;)

I've taken to sitting down in front of the telly with a laundry basket and folding away. Makes it a bit more bearable. Then, I'm calling my husband to put it all into the respective wardrobes. Works lost better than when I was trying to do it on my own. 

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Aha, I found your thread!

Awesome goals! 50 mile trail run sounds very fun and impressive, what a great LT goal!

I am so happy you are taking care of the laundry mountain. When I fold laundry, I like to listen to something fun, or watch a funny show, and then it doesn't feel like so much work. Maybe that can help you?

What is a virtual race?

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Aha, I found your thread!

Awesome goals! 50 mile trail run sounds very fun and impressive, what a great LT goal!

I am so happy you are taking care of the laundry mountain. When I fold laundry, I like to listen to something fun, or watch a funny show, and then it doesn't feel like so much work. Maybe that can help you?

What is a virtual race?

*waves* hi! 

Yeah, the 50 miler is a little ambitious but it gets one out of bed in the morning, my husband wants to do it with me which is surprising. It's nice that he's up for all the crazy ideas I throw out there :D 

Thanks for the laundry folding ideas, I might try recruiting my little guy to help run socks back and forth to different rooms as well lol. 

A virtual race is a self-supported race. You choose your own course and time you do it and then submit your results usually in an online form or sometimes a photo of your GPS watch. They usually have to be completed within a certain timeframe, for instance I have the month of august to run my races, my results have to be submitted by the last day. Finishers get medals shipped to them after the results are tallied (or whatever other reward is offered) and the price of running is usually a bit cheaper in my experience; the money usually goes towards a charity as well. 

I'm running three of the distances for the Moonjoggers Full Sturgeon Moon: Shoes for Kenya race. 

Hey, I know that mountain ! ;)

I've taken to sitting down in front of the telly with a laundry basket and folding away. Makes it a bit more bearable. Then, I'm calling my husband to put it all into the respective wardrobes. Works lost better than when I was trying to do it on my own. 

Hehe I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to scale Mt Laundry! ;) I feel much less alone!

*waves* hi! 

Yeah, the 50 miler is a little ambitious but it gets one out of bed in the morning, my husband wants to do it with me which is surprising. It's nice that he's up for all the crazy ideas I throw out there :D

Thanks for the laundry folding ideas, I might try recruiting my little guy to help run socks back and forth to different rooms as well lol. 

A virtual race is a self-supported race. You choose your own course and time you do it and then submit your results usually in an online form or sometimes a photo of your GPS watch. They usually have to be completed within a certain timeframe, for instance I have the month of august to run my races, my results have to be submitted by the last day. Finishers get medals shipped to them after the results are tallied (or whatever other reward is offered) and the price of running is usually a bit cheaper in my experience; the money usually goes towards a charity as well. 

I'm running three of the distances for the Moonjoggers Full Sturgeon Moon: Shoes for Kenya race. 

Wow, looks great! So you're going for the home run, I assume?

Hmm, maybe Ill do one of them with you....

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Wow, looks great! So you're going for the home run, I assume?

Hmm, maybe Ill do one of them with you....

Yep, signed up for the home run :) you should totally do it :D

Update:

Staying on track with the food mission, however I may need to also add "anything that has artificial flavoring listed" to the list of things to avoid - I had two days of raging migraines and I **think** it might be due to a new herbal tea that i got (at teavana too so it's like... going to hurt my pocket book if i can't actually drink it... I suppose I can give it away *sigh*) i'm alright today but not quite back on top of my game yet. i'm going to give it another day or so and then try drinking the tea again to see what happens (repeatable results are always good!). 

Activity has been low due to the migraines and very little sleep that I've been getting. I've way underestimated how long it would take for my system to detoxify from processed foods. You're supposed to be feeling pretty awesome by the end of two weeks, so far I'm just TIRED and moody, the Whole30 site does say that everyone is different too though... I guess I should have thought about the whole "experiment of one" rule when I was planning things out. Anyway... hopefully I'll stop feeling like i'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for energy here pretty soon. 

Activity has been low due to the migraines and very little sleep that I've been getting. I've way underestimated how long it would take for my system to detoxify from processed foods. You're supposed to be feeling pretty awesome by the end of two weeks, so far I'm just TIRED and moody, the Whole30 site does say that everyone is different too though... 

Not only is everyone different, but every Whole30 is different. The first one I did, I was ravenous at first, but no other ill effects. Did another one about a year later, felt like I had the flu. All sorts of soreness and other issues. It's nuts.

Good luck getting over your migraine!

Pressure to power.

Activity has been low due to the migraines and very little sleep that I've been getting. I've way underestimated how long it would take for my system to detoxify from processed foods. You're supposed to be feeling pretty awesome by the end of two weeks, so far I'm just TIRED and moody, the Whole30 site does say that everyone is different too though...

Not only is everyone different, but every Whole30 is different. The first one I did, I was ravenous at first, but no other ill effects. Did another one about a year later, felt like I had the flu. All sorts of soreness and other issues. It's nuts.

Good luck getting over your migraine!

Thanks, so far so good today :)

I've heard that some tea bags are stuck together with wheat paste- gluten! Beware!

OMGosh!! I'd never heard that before :-\ yikes!

^^ Yeah, hang in there. I hope migraines have subsided :/

Thanks, they have. I found the culprit (new tea that I had bought apparently has something disagreeable filed under "artificial flavoring"... lesson learned). I'm still a bit wore out from that + the diet changes but over all, I'm starting to feel a bit better. I was able to get a run in over the weekend :)

Maybe it is a trigger food for your migraines.   What ever the cause - I hope it stops.

Keep your spirits up.

I can't believe that tea caused you so much trouble!  If you don't mind my asking, what was the flavor/brand? Just so i never buy...

Well, it's only a trigger for me, I seem to be really sensitive to random things. My husband and son can drink it without any consequences. Teavana's Caramel Almond Amaretti seems to be a sure trigger though. I'm planning in the future to just spring for the extra $$ and buy the unflavored pure teas. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines