• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'll try this and the "stand in front of a wall" suggestion from @digitanebula before trying squats again next week.  i love the suggestions, keep 'em coming!  i also think i just need to stretch more too, so now i have a 3 step warm up to my next squats.

Warmups definitely help.....but most important is just good 'ol repetition.

Practice them at a reasonable weight and ingain the way a good sqquat "feels"....get there and you are home free....

Eventually, you will just walk in the gym, get under the bar and away you go.....you won't even spend much time thinking about it because it will become natural.

Just like shooting a free throw...;)

quest update:

positive:

I did my incline bench before work this morning.

I did squats on saturday morning with the warmups, and i was able to get lower without feeling like i was falling over!  i took some video and will post for critiques/good laughs.  one or two more times squatting and i think i will be really squatting (i currently squat to a low bench).

I plan to do squats tomorrow morning before work.

negative:

i supervise a team of indian accountants, they came into town and i took them to a couple restaurants.  so for the past 2 days i have not eaten paleo lunches.  i don't like it, but it's part of my job to eat with them.  i think that i could have planned the restaurants better to get paleo, but it's difficult.  when i can plan, i am good at staying on paleo, when i don't, i fail.  i am on vacation starting tuesday night for a week, and i will not be paleo for that week.  at best when i get back on paleo next tuesday for the rest of the challenge, i will grade myself a "b" assuming no more slip ups.

unrelated:

i am so frickin excited for this vacation.  i'm going to be at a lake with my best friends boating, disc golfing, swimming, poker playing, bbqing and general awesomeness.  just gotta make it through today and tomorrow.

goals for tomorrow:

squat in the morning with warmup routine.

eat paleo breakfast, and as paleo lunch as i can at the work lunch

i am so frickin excited for this vacation.  i'm going to be at a lake with my best friends boating, disc golfing, swimming, poker playing, bbqing and general awesomeness.  just gotta make it through today and tomorrow.

Do some wakeborading for me......:)

I did a similar trip in early July....and I started missing it the moment we packed up the truck.

quest update

positive:

squatted today, did even better than last time.  added 10 lbs and i don't think i'll need a seat next time.  warm up activities suggested by digitalnebula and exjamieus really helped me make a leap in my progress.

got back to paleo last night and this morning.  i have another work lunch where i will try to eat as much paleo as they have there, it's at an indian restaurant.

negative:

nothing really, i planned this trip into my quest as a non paleo detour, and i've already met my lifting goals for the week.

unrelated but very related:

about 5 months ago i integrated meditation into my morning routine.  i was so much calmer than i would normally be yesterday when poo was hitting the fan at work.

I think mobility belongs in both the warm up and the cool down, but I get 1000000000000x more benefit from also doing yoga/mobility before bed.

Party hard while on vacay! 

quest update

positive:

squatted today, did even better than last time.  added 10 lbs and i don't think i'll need a seat next time.  warm up activities suggested by digitalnebula and exjamieus really helped me make a leap in my progress.

got back to paleo last night and this morning.  i have another work lunch where i will try to eat as much paleo as they have there, it's at an indian restaurant.

SWEET!!! FTW!!

quest update

positive:

I always make an excuse for rice at indian/thai/asian places  :rolleyes-new:  but it's always something with lots of veggies and meat! It'll fill you a lot more if you haven't been eating carbs often too.

Hey NickFit- I really like the calorie/food cost list. Do you ever eat pumpkin seeds (pepitas)? They remind me of big sunflower seeds- just curious how that might fit in the list, but I haven't checked it out. Pepitas have a pretty good nutrient profile.

Hey NickFit- I really like the calorie/food cost list. Do you ever eat pumpkin seeds (pepitas)? They remind me of big sunflower seeds- just curious how that might fit in the list, but I haven't checked it out. Pepitas have a pretty good nutrient profile.

Hi Jefro - No I do not have this on my list, but I'm a fan of sunflower seeds so I'll try them out.

quest update

positive:

i'm back from my vacation and ready to get back on paleo for the remainder of the challenge.  i already prepped a bunch of chicken and veggies for the rest of the week.

negative:

when not eating paleo on vacation i ate pretty unhealthy.  i am more than ready to get back on track.

goals for today and tomorrow:

get back to eating paleo

incline press today

squats tomorrow

I agree- nice that you are back from vacation and immediately back on the challenge with immediate goals for reengagement! Strong Work!!!

Great job staying on top of your challenge, nickFit. I like that you have immediate goals set up too. Keep up the awesome job :)

Hi Rogaecia - Thank you for the encouragement!  I saw the Fitocracy link on your signature, what is that?  The "about" page uses very similar language to nerdfitness (level up, quest etc).

quest update

positive:

did incline bench yesterday

back to paleo

negative:

gained 4 lbs over vacation, but technically still meeting my goals

goals for today/tomorrow:

i overslept and didn't get to the gym this morning, i'll go after work today instead for squats.

thursday i will buy personal paleo food for the camping trip i'm going on this weekend.  everyone else will be eating hot dogs/pancakes/sandwiches.

I agree- nice that you are back from vacation and immediately back on the challenge with immediate goals for reengagement! Strong Work!!!

Thanks Jefro!

quest update

positive:

did squats yesterday and took video for form check (here is the link if you want to help me out, i'm open to suggestions... http://youtu.be/arzHFpbE9HQ )

no tv past 10 and no food past 9

negative:

:triumphant:

buying paleo food for the camping trip this weekend

i may go to the gym after work, i've already met my lifting goals for the week but i always want mooooore

I'd like to see what kind of response you get for your form. I feel like we do squats the same in that the lean forward is a bit excessive and you tilt your head back "looking up" to compensate. however, I am not the person to say whether this is fine or should be corrected!

Thanks Jefro!

quest update

positive:

did squats yesterday and took video for form check (here is the link if you want to help me out, i'm open to suggestions... http://youtu.be/arzHFpbE9HQ )

no tv past 10 and no food past 9

negative:

:triumphant:

buying paleo food for the camping trip this weekend

i may go to the gym after work, i've already met my lifting goals for the week but i always want mooooore

Wanted to stop in and say Hi! Have seen you on bluekiwi and your always so supportive!

I really like the profile name, lol! And, anyone who used the :triumphant: !!

Camping- LOVE it, been too long.

Awesome work on your goals! :peaceful:

Do some wakeborading for me...... :)

I did a similar trip in early July....and I started missing it the moment we packed up the truck.

donar: no wakeboarding this trip, just a lot of innertubing and swimming.  i really want to be back NOW.

I think mobility belongs in both the warm up and the cool down, but I get 1000000000000x more benefit from also doing yoga/mobility before bed.

exjamieus: i've been doing yoga ~1x per week, and it has helped with my flexibility.  more than that i just always leave feeling refreshed mentally.

I'd like to see what kind of response you get for your form. I feel like we do squats the same in that the lean forward is a bit excessive and you tilt your head back "looking up" to compensate. however, I am not the person to say whether this is fine or should be corrected!

courniemarie: ya i really would love some response.  i think my lean is too far, but if i don't do that i feel like i'm going to fall over!

Wanted to stop in and say Hi! Have seen you on bluekiwi and your always so supportive!

I really like the profile name, lol! And, anyone who used the :triumphant: !!

Camping- LOVE it, been too long.

Awesome work on your goals! :peaceful:

ashps: i love getting the support so i'm trying to give it out too!  i'm super excited to go camping  :eagerness:

Nick,

Check out the pork shoulder roasts at Costco. A huge value for the money. Around here, the package comes with two full shoulders. You can get two roasts out of each shoulder, for a total of four roasts a package. Make one and freeze the other three. There are lots of paleo recipes for pork. Cook's Illustrated has some really good ones, too.

You might want to look at StrengthLifts5x5 for more information about squats. Just as paleo debunks a lot of food myths, Mehdi debunks a lot of weightlifting BS. (I just found that program myself and am trying to do it with dumbbells, as best I can, because I do not have a barbell and rack.)

Jim

Nick,

Check out the pork shoulder roasts at Costco. A huge value for the money. Around here, the package comes with two full shoulders. You can get two roasts out of each shoulder, for a total of four roasts a package. Make one and freeze the other three. There are lots of paleo recipes for pork. Cook's Illustrated has some really good ones, too.

Man I wish we had a Costco! :o

was late to dinner with a friend last night and he had already ordered pizza for us, instead of being rude i split it with him.  back on paleo this morning.

going paleo for the majority of last month tripled my grocery bill, that is not sustainable, i need to shop more efficiently.

I have the same problem when I visit my parents. My mom forgets I've been eating only whole plants for the past year. But she birthed me into the world, man. So I eat the delicious. Family trumps once a month.

I started tracking how much money I spend on my paleo food and how many calories each grocery item has.  This way I can track which foods provide the most calories for my money.  There is probably something out there already like this, but I will have a comprehensive list by the time this challenge is over.

Here are the leaders:

Sunflower Seeds - 505 calories per $1

Ground Beef 80% Lean - 385 calories per $1

Marcona Almonds - 380 calories per $1

Beef Chuck Cross Rib Steak - 371 calories per $1

Pork Sirloin Roast - 360 calories per $1

Here are the LOSERS:

Peppers/Onion grill pack - 22 calories per $1

Salmon - 28 calories per $1

Onion - 32 calories per $1

Broccoli/Cauliflower mix bag - 33 calories per $1

Blueberries - 42 calories per $1

I still like to buy stuff from this lower "loser" list, but I am trying to focus my shopping on higher calorie/$1 items in an effort to save some $$$.

Fantastic data, man. Thanks!

Nick,

You might want to look at StrengthLifts5x5 for more information about squats. Just as paleo debunks a lot of food myths, Mehdi debunks a lot of weightlifting BS. (I just found that program myself and am trying to do it with dumbbells, as best I can, because I do not have a barbell and rack.)

Jim

Thanks Jim - I don't have a Costco membership because I am single, and that's a ton of food.  But it does make sense for buying meat.  I'll look into pork shoulder at Safeway and see if I can find a deal there.  I will also look into the StregthLifts5x5, thanks for the info, always gotta keep learning!  Have you done the StongLifts program? If so what results did you get?

Fantastic data, man. Thanks!

Ya buddy, I have more too, I'll post it one of these days once I add some more foods.

Jefro - Related to DWD's post and your earlier post, I couldn't find any pumpkin seeds (pepitas) at Safeway.  I'll look again as well as look at Whole Foods next time I'm there.

quest update

positive:

back eating paleo this week, as well as bought lots of paleo food for this weekend camping

i'm down to 168lbs, 1lb lighter than before i left for my vacation last week (i was at 173lbs post vaca), weight not part of my goals but it's nice to get back down!  

i've also increased my 1RM estimates for squat and incline press

played basketball today, not part of my goals but fun!

negative:

chillin  :listening_headphone

goals for today and this weekend:

biggest challenge is going to be eating healthy on this camping trip with so much unhealthy food around. luckily another friend there wants to eat healthy so we'll support each other.

no lifting this weekend, but i will be hiking at big basin state park, should be fun

goals for today and this weekend:

biggest challenge is going to be eating healthy on this camping trip with so much unhealthy food around. luckily another friend there wants to eat healthy so we'll support each other.

no lifting this weekend, but i will be hiking at big basin state park, should be fun

Will you be taking pics? Would love to see your trip! :rapture:

Rawr!  Looking great for da challenge!  As for squat form, I am not sure if I have any suggestions.  It seems you come up a bit fast and knees don't hurt or feel weird? 

I do squats really slow so my knees would not go side way and I can control my breathing better.  I watched a lot of YouTube videos and StrengthLifts were among them.  Good luck!

Here are the leaders:

Sunflower Seeds - 505 calories per $1

Ground Beef 80% Lean - 385 calories per $1

Marcona Almonds - 380 calories per $1

Beef Chuck Cross Rib Steak - 371 calories per $1

Pork Sirloin Roast - 360 calories per $1

Here are the LOSERS:

Peppers/Onion grill pack - 22 calories per $1

Salmon - 28 calories per $1

Onion - 32 calories per $1

Broccoli/Cauliflower mix bag - 33 calories per $1

Blueberries - 42 calories per $1

I still like to buy stuff from this lower "loser" list, but I am trying to focus my shopping on higher calorie/$1 items in an effort to save some $$$.

I started a list myself as well, but more about the macros instead of calories.

I buy chicken in bulk and when they go on sale.  And, if you don't mind cooking the whole chicken, it is usually cheaper to get more meals out of it.  Also, frozen veggies (like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower) are really cheap where I am.  I stock up on frozen fruits when they go on sale as well, especially for blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

Yes, fresh salmon is so expensive.  Have you tried canned salmon?  It is a cheaper alternative.  It's really easy to make into salmon cakes and you can eat it right out the can or add to salads.  Just have to watch for the sodium like with any canned goods.  Tuna is good if you like the taste.

I buy nuts, seeds, and Paleo friendly flours online at here.  They have very high quality and reasonably priced stuff.  Great customer reviews, too!  I did a few myself!  :D

Good luck and have fun!  Rawr! ^_^

Have you done the StongLifts program? If so what results did you get?

I just found it this week. I cannot do it properly because I do not have a barbell, but I am trying to approximate it with dumbbells. I just started yesterday so it is too early to say anything meaningful. It is one of the programs listed here in an FAQ-type thread as appropriate for beginning strength trainers. I am most definitely a beginner. However, there do appear to be a lot of people on this site doing this program.

You can find detailed information here: http://stronglifts.com

i'll take some pics, i'll try some more youtube squat vids, i will definitely try canned salmon, and maybe for my next challenge i will look into stronglifts!  thanks for the support guys.

i'm out like a thief in the niiiiight