• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

27angel

27angel's 3rd chapter in quest for a healthy weight

My main quest is to lose weight and fit into size 10 clothing by my 39th birthday on February 27th. Currently I weigh 233 and wear size 18 clothing. The steps I will follow during the next 6 weeks to complete this quest are as follows. I will continue to eat a primal diet. I will do the angry birds workout 3 times a week. I will do the couch-2-5K workout 3 times a week.

I will track my progress on MyFitnessPal.com and an excel spreadsheet for my exercises.

My life quest during the next six-weeks is to complete the education, resource file and papers needed to complete my Child Development Associate application.

The motivation for my quest is to be happy with my body and be an inspiration for my children.

post-15737-0-11729300-1375145772_thumb.j

Wow you have some admirable goals!  We are looking for the same thing, in terms of wanting to lose weight.  I wonder how long you have been doing a primal diet, what are the challenges to making the change to such a diet, and how do you get past cravings for things not on the diet?

Good luck!

I began transitioning to a primal diet on April 15, 2013. This was my main goal for my first challenge here on NF. The first week I gave up all sugars except a small amount of berries (fructose) and yogurt (lactose.) The second week I stopped consuming all artificial sweeteners. This was a lot harder than giving up sugar. I felt awful and had terrible cravings. Even though I still felt bad from the artificial sweetener withdrawal I removed 90% of grains the next week. The following week I was 100% primal. I had the "carb flu" for about 3 weeks and really felt terrible.

You might want to take the steps slower to try to avoid the shock to your body that I went through. Amazingly when the "carb flu" passed I stopped having cravings even though sweets and junk food are around me all the time. I am also full most of the time now because what I do eat is so nutrient-dense.

One thing about the cravings, I found that I have to avoid all sugary foods and drinks. I hadn't had cravings until I went to a wedding over a week ago. I allowed myself some of the desserts. The next several days I fought terrible cravings for more sweet foods and drinks.

Your challenge this round sounds a lot like mine. How is your C25K going? You might also try Fitocracy to track your excercises, I just joined up this challenge also so feel free to friend me on there if you decide to sign up. 

Your challenge this round sounds a lot like mine. How is your C25K going? You might also try Fitocracy to track your excercises, I just joined up this challenge also so feel free to friend me on there if you decide to sign up. 

I'm on week 3 of C25K. Today will be my 2nd workout. I am really concentrating on running correctly. I tried the program last year and had to quit because of terrible shin splints. This time I did a lot of research before I started to keep from getting them again. I found that I was heel striking, which is bad. Now I am concentrating on landing each time near the ball of my foot. This is really working my calves and totally wearing me out. At least I am doing it right now.

As for tracking my exercises I have been using the spreadsheet that comes with the angry birds workout for a couple of months now and have added lines for the C25K. I like using it because I can see where I started and how far I have come easily.

Can you tell me what "carb flu" feels like?  I have to wean myself off sugars and have never heard that term before.  Is it more of a withdrawal, like getting off drugs or alcohol or like a sickness, such as good old stomach flu?  Thanks!

I'm on week 3 of C25K. Today will be my 2nd workout. I am really concentrating on running correctly. I tried the program last year and had to quit because of terrible shin splints. This time I did a lot of research before I started to keep from getting them again. I found that I was heel striking, which is bad. Now I am concentrating on landing each time near the ball of my foot. This is really working my calves and totally wearing me out. At least I am doing it right now.

As for tracking my exercises I have been using the spreadsheet that comes with the angry birds workout for a couple of months now and have added lines for the C25K. I like using it because I can see where I started and how far I have come easily.

Have you tried running barefoot, or with Vibram's five fingers(they are what I use)? I found that they really made me concentrate on how I was walking or running. I also find that I am a lot less clutzy while going "barefoot" rather than in "normal" shoes. 

Can you tell me what "carb flu" feels like?  I have to wean myself off sugars and have never heard that term before.  Is it more of a withdrawal, like getting off drugs or alcohol or like a sickness, such as good old stomach flu?  Thanks!

I am sure it is different for everyone but for me Carb Flu was a total lack of energy and I felt like blah for two days, then I started getting my energy back what cravings I had dissipated and I started to feel human again. I wasn't really sick nor and I have ever had withdrawal from drugs or alcohol so I cannot say to those as examples. 

I had zero energy, bad headaches, and difficulty concentrating. The way I feel after being primal for a few months is totally worth waiting out bad feelings in the beginning.

Have you tried running barefoot, or with Vibram's five fingers(they are what I use)? I found that they really made me concentrate on how I was walking or running. I also find that I am a lot less clutzy while going "barefoot" rather than in "normal" shoes. 

I've thought about trying Vibrams but I can't afford any right now. I am also worried about not having cushioning for my feet because I am still carrying around quite a bit of extra weight. I have kind of thought that after I get to a healthy weight I will try "barefoot" running.

Hey 27Angel, you were so brave giving up all that sugar so quickly.  Did you give up fruit as well, or was it just really sweet fruit?

Hey 27Angel, you were so brave giving up all that sugar so quickly.  Did you give up fruit as well, or was it just really sweet fruit?

Just really sweet fruit. Though I only ate 1/2 cup of mixed berries a day (with plain Greek yogurt.) Now I also have a cup of frozen strawberries in my morning smoothie.

I have had a truly crazy, exhausting week at work. I have been so worn out when I got home in the evenings that the only day I exercised was Monday. Tonight and tomorrow night I won't be getting home until around 9:30. So, this really has been a bad week toward my goal. The good thing is that I have kept to my "diet" very rigidly (it is good to have control over something when everything else is out of control.) I plan on exercising again on Saturday and getting back on track. I'm trying not to be down on myself about the lack of exercise. As long as I don't completely stop I'll be o.k., right?

This challenge seems to have been a failure from the beginning. First I was sick and now I am having migraines every couple of days. My diet hasn't changed since the beginning of May, so at least I know that the food is not the trigger.