cline - Eye of the Tiger

cline

^^^^^

Awesome.

I won't deny that I can get a little misty-eyed during movies... but, that scene would not have done it for me.

I know.  It's still funny.  and Paulie is such a schmuck.  I wouldn't let him be a corner man. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Last night:  Muay Thai!!!  ELBOWS & KNEES!!!  SQUEEEEE!

Coach was a sub (b/c coach is sick).  And we got one of my FAVORITE coaches!!! He's a pro and he's beyond intense!  A lot of the more casual students don't care for him but I love him!  I love his intensity and his fire.  He's exactly how you'd imagine a pro MMA fighter to be.  Super intense.  Oh and with a military background to boot!

Class gets punished with 2 mins of burpees if people don't follow directions (we did burpees....).  And if you stop doing burpees, you get more.  And if you can't follow directions, you get called out.  He doesn't praise, he doesn't pander.  You do it right or you get called out.  I'm fine with it.  The goal is for him to watch you and move on, then you know you got it going on.  Don't get called out.  HA! 

So lower level testing is this weekend so he was calling out questions - only a few people knew answers and he was miffed - but I did knew answers and kept raising my glove! Yea!  Impress him is always my goal.  It's very important to me.  It's also important that he not EVER call me out and say "everybody but these groups do X, Y".  But last night I had a super partner and we were both ON FIRE!  BAM!  It was such a great class.  I wish I had that every night!  DAMN.

We were working a combo of elbows, knees, and clinches.  All sorts of clinches and defending the clinch with different pressure on the carotid artery.  COOL!  Man, my right elbow is ON.  Leftie needs work.  LOL.  My partner was great.  We were well matched. 

At the end we all got to go in the cage as a class and had to finish with holding a deep wall squat, a facing the wall handstand (wall walkup) and a headstand for two rounds 1 min each.  Not bad except most the class struggled with the squat.  Squats were arms raised in front and he didn't start time until everyone was up.  This I could do.  Ha.  Wall walk up?  Most people struggled with and did more like a plank.  Walking up the fence is kind of hard but I could do it.  Then headstands which only a few of us could do.  Then on the last round, in the headstand, BELLY SMACKS!  Sweet.  Ha ha ha I love belly smacks.  So much damn fun.  I was the only woman who could do all the work (not even the CF chick - lol). 

So aside from the fact that this class simply rocked, I did something amazing - last year I worked on handstands and this spring attended a gymnastics seminar at spousal unit's box b/c handstands and headstands terrified me and I sucked so bad. 

Yesterday, I felt no fear doing them.  None.  No doubt.  No panic.  No trepidation.  I had no trouble holding them.  I was perfectly fine to do more than one round.  I could have easily done 5 rounds.  No worries.  This is BIG and I was super proud of me.  And I know it's because....

This coach pushes me into places I'm happy to go b/c I will not let him see me fail.  I simply will not.  I like that he inspires that in me the way no other coach does.  I've thanked him for class (and for the awesome testing he ran - it's legendary at the gym now for being the hardest ever).  He has no idea what he does for me.  It's funny that most students are simply just intimidated or don't like him or avoid him.  I would take class from him every time if I could.  I get him and he's good for me as a coach. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Man, even just reading that got me a little fired up.  You're lucky I didn't walk out of my office and elbow a coworker.

DO IT!!! 

Now I'm fired up! 

I AM going the distance

That's awesome! I love when you've got that coach that just clicks with you and everything just works. Big woots on the handstands! That's something I really need to work on once baby A makes an appearance; I have a little bit of that fear, too. Need to work on it. I also have it on box jumps, weirdly enough. Something in my hindbrain is convinced I'm going to face-plant. I get someone to stand in front of the box, I'm fine, but everything locks up if I try on my own. Anyway, not trying to hijack. So happy for your awesome class!!!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

That's awesome! I love when you've got that coach that just clicks with you and everything just works. Big woots on the handstands! That's something I really need to work on once baby A makes an appearance; I have a little bit of that fear, too. Need to work on it. I also have it on box jumps, weirdly enough. Something in my hindbrain is convinced I'm going to face-plant. I get someone to stand in front of the box, I'm fine, but everything locks up if I try on my own. Anyway, not trying to hijack. So happy for your awesome class!!!

ewwww box jumps.... i have to really be in the mood for those.  now tuck jumps?  any day.  ninja jumps? never again.

I AM going the distance

That was one of those posts (and there are many) where I finish it and I'm all, "One day, that'll be me. But gayer." And I go do some push-ups and wall sits. 

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

That was one of those posts (and there are many) where I finish it and I'm all, "One day, that'll be me. But gayer." And I go do some push-ups and wall sits. 

Lmao. Srsly.

But how could I make it gayer?

Maybe ditch the bootie shorts? Hmmm

WWMTD? (What would mr t do? )

I worked out at my gay gym tonight and accidentally intimidated someone (I didn't mean to). But I wore worst gym outfit ever.

Beer? WWMRTD?

I AM going the distance

Man that was some good Muay Thai update stuffs! I got a chill down my spine listening. Like when Rocky is climbing up the ropes against Creed and no one can figure out how he keeps getting up - sheer determination baby! Determined not to fail, just like you. Well done!!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Glitter and rhinestones always work. Always.

Omg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NancyReaganMrTChristmas1983.jpg

File:NancyReaganMrTChristmas1983.jpg

I AM going the distance

LMAO - maybe rainbow tie-dye is in order.

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Where did you find that picture?! Amazing. 

Also, I have no gayifying advice. It's intrinsic, yo. 

wikipedia!  FTW!  wikipedia knows everything. 

I AM going the distance

LMAO - maybe rainbow tie-dye is in order.

Oh heavens no.  I'm not a tie dye kinda gal.

The thing is I don't care if my clothes match when I work out so I often end up with odd outfits.

Last night's was a pale orange tank in which my flowered sports bra totally showed through b/c the material is a really light weight cotton, that topped purple and black booty shorts and I had on camo sneakers.  LOL.  Terrible.

I think I packed a red tank and bright purple shorts with pink sneaks tonight.  LOL.  oh dear.  I wear all the colors!

I AM going the distance

Last night's workout involved DB push presses (heavy), close grip BP with a pause, DB upright rows (48 total), and triceps ext (6x15 which is a shit ton of reps = 90!  GAH! and I don't really like them that much). 

So I was kinda irked at 6 sets of triceps extensions and I was next to the pullup bar so I did a set 1x15, 3 pullups, 1x15, 2 pullups, 1x15, 2 pullups, etc. until all 6 sets were done.  No rest.  LOL. 

At the end, I had some gas in the tank so I did 20 decline russian twists with a double punch on each side, then 20 regular decline situps with a double punch at the top, then 20 of the decline twists again but with uppercuts. 

Then met up w post CF spousal unit and walked our usual 2mi home from the gym.  I love walking home 2mi everyday from the gym. It's so nice.  I don't walk from Muay Thai so I really enjoy the post gym walk. 

I did not practice footwork.  I started tracking calories, etc. but have been swamped at work and have not had much time.  Diet was clean yesterday and accidentally very low carb until I had beers at dinner.  LOL.  Terrible spousal unit. 

I AM going the distance

Last night's workout involved DB push presses (heavy), close grip BP with a pause, DB upright rows (48 total), and triceps ext (6x15 which is a shit ton of reps = 90!  GAH! and I don't really like them that much). 

So I was kinda irked at 6 sets of triceps extensions and I was next to the pullup bar so I did a set 1x15, 3 pullups, 1x15, 2 pullups, 1x15, 2 pullups, etc. until all 6 sets were done.  No rest.  LOL. 

At the end, I had some gas in the tank so I did 20 decline russian twists with a double punch on each side, then 20 regular decline situps with a double punch at the top, then 20 of the decline twists again but with uppercuts. 

Then met up w post CF spousal unit and walked our usual 2mi home from the gym.  I love walking home 2mi everyday from the gym. It's so nice.  I don't walk from Muay Thai so I really enjoy the post gym walk. 

I did not practice footwork.  I started tracking calories, etc. but have been swamped at work and have not had much time.  Diet was clean yesterday and accidentally very low carb until I had beers at dinner.  LOL.  Terrible spousal unit. 

Those high rep exercises kinda suck, don't they? I have a hard time staying focused through that many set/reps. You have to superset them to keep from going catatonic. Well done!

Swampy work is no fun, what with the water around your ankles, the bugs, the alligators and all. :tongue:

Plus, walk & beers with spousal unit sounds far from terrible. Sounds like a pretty good evening.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Swampy work is no fun, what with the water around your ankles, the bugs, the alligators and all. :tongue:

I don't mind swamp muck so much, but I HATE the humidity and BUGS.  EWWWWW bugs are just wrong.  I would also prefer to not be eaten by a gator and since they don't fight fair in Muay Thai, the odds are in gator's favor.  BUT I do know how to escape from a gator.... if only my feet weren't stuck in muck.... *sigh*  elbows.....

I AM going the distance

I AM going the distance

That is an awesome article. I also like the 3 extra tidbits he threw in at the end. Thanks for sharing! Ya know, I've loved every T-Nation article you've linked over the last few months. Maybe I should start reading that site on a more regular basis. 

Although, you're doing a great job of posting articles that hit home, so maybe I'll just let you continue screening them for me :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines