cline - Eye of the Tiger

cline

Awesome article!!! Am very jealous of you having gas in the tank at the end of your workout; I was totally gassed after CF last night. (I have trouble remembering I'm preggo sometimes, other times, not so much :)

It's okay to be gassed pregnant (ha ha ha ) but it's super okay to be pregnant and CFing and gassed.

Isn't that article good?  so full of wisdom.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

That is an awesome article. I also like the 3 extra tidbits he threw in at the end. Thanks for sharing! Ya know, I've loved every T-Nation article you've linked over the last few months. Maybe I should start reading that site on a more regular basis. 

Although, you're doing a great job of posting articles that hit home, so maybe I'll just let you continue screening them for me :D

Awwww... happy to do so.  It was great.  I love how honest he is about machines and isolation exercises and looking good.

When I first started with coach I told him I understood I'd probably put on some weight but I refused to put on too much and I wanted to lift a ton at more or less my current weight.  His response?  "yeah, you want to look good too, right?".  Yes yes I do.  I do not want to look bad and have people say "you lift?". 

Have to say that t nation article was full of win. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

oh and I signed up for another goruck light. 

I believe it's with lots of challenge vets so I think it's going to be tough and we have a super super tough cadre.  team weight is already 10# heavier than necessary.... LOL. 

I AM going the distance

Awwww... happy to do so.  It was great.  I love how honest he is about machines and isolation exercises and looking good.

When I first started with coach I told him I understood I'd probably put on some weight but I refused to put on too much and I wanted to lift a ton at more or less my current weight.  His response?  "yeah, you want to look good too, right?".  Yes yes I do.  I do not want to look bad and have people say "you lift?". 

Have to say that t nation article was full of win. 

I think everyone wants to look good and there ain't nothin' wrong with that. But, if that's the only reason for lifting, you might not have the proper motivation to ultimately accomplish the task at hand.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Those high rep exercises kinda suck, don't they? I have a hard time staying focused through that many set/reps. You have to superset them to keep from going catatonic. Well done!

NRoLfW stage 7 has a cycle where each workout you do four different exercises for 15-20 reps four times. It was such a grind.

Yeah high rep stuff gets tough.  I have to get stoked for 60 lateral raises on friday.  How does one get fired up for that? 

I AM going the distance

And then I found this proving that when Mr T moves in, he will be all over my kittehs

tumblr_lxp60dJ8oL1r9pvj7o1_500.gif

(omg this is the best thing)

I AM going the distance

Yeah high rep stuff gets tough.  I have to get stoked for 60 lateral raises on friday.  How does one get fired up for that? 

"At least it isn't 80!"?

I've done lat raises in sets of 20 reps before but usually only one, maybe two of them.

And then I found this proving that when Mr T moves in, he will be all over my kittehs

tumblr_lxp60dJ8oL1r9pvj7o1_500.gif

(omg this is the best thing)

That is pretty best.

Last night was some good stuff.  Was supposed to work up to 93% of my 1RM DL and then complete 12 reps however I chose.  So I did 50% x 3, 67% x 3, 82% x 1, 85% x 1 and then at 93% I did 4, 3, 3, 3 (tried for 4 but only got 3 - was totally mental). 

Then I did some rows BB and one arm DB (60# for reps!  woot), curls.  Walked our 2mi home which seemed slow b/c it was so humid.

Ate a bunch of steak and broccoli for dinner.  Had to eat some sw pot b/c was accidentally very low carb yesterday. 

Haven't been tracking much b/c I forget to track at home.  I used to use different tracking software that didn't have a phone app.  Now that I have a phone app I keep forgetting to track.  *sigh* 

I AM going the distance

Great job on the DL's!

Get tracking, preacher.

I did.  At least I wrote down the last three days so I typed it all into the damned thingamajig on the interwebs.  Because I have no clue how to enter my workouts on the thing, I don't.  So everyday it gives me a message suggesting if I continue to eat like this I'll be dead in a week.  Or I'll explode from massive weight gain.  It's honestly depressing.  I hate it and feel terrible every time I track.  It makes me not want to do it.  I find it all depressing and would be much happier the way I was eating.

DLs are the best! Can you set an alarm on your phone that will remind you to track around the times you usually eat (at least for a week or so)?

Yes... but that would be logical and not emotional. 

A lot of it is I'm not happy with the carbs, they are still a struggle.  I'm not happy eating more.  I don't feel good with it.  AND I honestly think shoveling food in my face nonstop 24/7 is making me hungrier - I actually feel hungrier and I'm not happy about that. 

Honestly, I ate 3 eggs, a cup of broccoli (maybe a bit more), and some sausage for breakfast at 6:50a.  By 11a my stomach was growling.  That's not right.  I used to be able to go until 12 or 1p.  So I ate my carb snack as I'm supposed to (1 cup plain rice cereal w unsweetened almond milk) and guess what?  Yeah, stomach still growling bc carbs are stupid. 

The hate the hate...

I AM going the distance

I did.  At least I wrote down the last three days so I typed it all into the damned thingamajig on the interwebs.  Because I have no clue how to enter my workouts on the thing, I don't.  So everyday it gives me a message suggesting if I continue to eat like this I'll be dead in a week.  Or I'll explode from massive weight gain.  It's honestly depressing.  I hate it and feel terrible every time I track.  It makes me not want to do it.  I find it all depressing and would be much happier the way I was eating.

And, yet.... you encouraged me to track.  Ohhhh, I get it - misery loves company!

The fitness portion of it, is annoying to track.  It'd be so much easier if you could manually enter in a caloric output.  A day that you lifted and did Muay Thai could easily be tracked with a simple 1,000 calorie edit.  But, I haven't seen a way to do that either.

Grr....

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

And, yet.... you encouraged me to track.  Ohhhh, I get it - misery loves company!

The fitness portion of it, is annoying to track.  It'd be so much easier if you could manually enter in a caloric output.  A day that you lifted and did Muay Thai could easily be tracked with a simple 1,000 calorie edit.  But, I haven't seen a way to do that either.

Grr....

Yeah.  I hate it so I enter no exercise and to date I have burned 0 calories in the time I've been tracking.  I don't even enter the 4-5 days a week that I walk 2-4 mi to/from work (each day) or any running or anything b/c it's dumb.  And I hate it.

I'm hitting calories or close but it sucks and the carbs blow and it takes too much work to meet the carbs.  I'm getting close - say 170 many days but have days below 50.  BTW, this includes carbs from veg and/or fruit so take out a good 20g for that.  I'm almost never hitting 200g of protein but can get closer to 150 several days. 

And myfitnesspal closes each day with a message that essentially says "if you eat like this every day you're going to gain 100lbs in a week.  You might as well pack it in now and continue shoveling ho hos in your face and sit on your fat ass b/c all hope is lost".  That's pretty much the exact message.

So I went out get lunch b/c a new place opened and I wanted to try it.  It's a daily takeaway from a restaurant known for amazing farm to table food. 

Of all the food there - gazilions of fresh made pastries, locally sourced cheeses and local yogurts, sandwiches, daily small batch prepared foods, and salads, I could eat exactly 1 salad.  1 thing was paleo friendly - actually, it had some aged cheese.  1 freaking thing.  *sad*  Oh and the dressing is dairy based so luckily it's on the side, but there are no other choices. 

All told, there is less than 4oz of chicken on the salad and one hard boiled egg. 

So I stood there with my stomach growling (really growling) looking at the prepared foods - nope, nope, nope.... no beans, no bread, no risotto, no whatever else they had in the case.  One choice - eggplant. Which I freaking hate.  So, now I have a little tiny container of eggplant to go with my salad.  My salad is like 6 cups of greens and the weee teeny bit of protein. 

I'll never make it through Muay Thai tonight.  But myfitnesspal says I have a bit over 800 cal left for the day, no fat calories and I'm still at <70g carbs.  I am at 89g protein though (thank you breakfast but eff you lunch).  If I have a protein shake with vitargo, I'll have 500 calories (roughly) for dinner - no fat, about 50g carbs (which I won't eat), and protein.  I know dinner is kale, pork tenderloin, and other veg (tomatoes, etc).  So if I eat 500 cal for dinner, I will be at 2200 for the day (and officially burning no calories b/c I can't enter that).  And myfitness pal will tell me if I keep eating that I will gain 5lbs in 2 mos (yes, that's what it will say). 

I think more people need to track what they eat.  I am seriously not under eating - I over eat if anything - and here I am - look at my macros.  I'm shoveling in way too much food and I'm at 2200 calories.  I need an intervention. 

Talked with spousal unit - who is inconsistently tracking.  We are both debating going back to 2000 cal goal with much much lower carbs.  This is too much work and I'm not happy with the lack of results.

I AM going the distance

At the end of the day, you have to eat what works for you.  Just because the prescribed plan works for some people - doesn't mean it works for you.  After all, eating is such a large part of life.  You might as well enjoy it.

I understand the mental game with the calorie intake warnings.  But, ignore them.  You are tracking for your macros.  If they need to be adjusted, do it.  Use the program only for what it is good for.  

The little bit of tracking I've done, I've been happy with where I'm at.  But, it is such a small sampling to date.  I'll keep tracking for the next few weeks to be sure.

Breathe.  

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

At the end of the day, you have to eat what works for you.  Just because the prescribed plan works for some people - doesn't mean it works for you.  After all, eating is such a large part of life.  You might as well enjoy it.

I understand the mental game with the calorie intake warnings.  But, ignore them.  You are tracking for your macros.  If they need to be adjusted, do it.  Use the program only for what it is good for.  

The little bit of tracking I've done, I've been happy with where I'm at.  But, it is such a small sampling to date.  I'll keep tracking for the next few weeks to be sure.

Breathe.  

I don't understand how lifting 4x week, muay thai 3x week, plus my regular walking (which, granted is not for exercise, it's how I get around) does not equal any fat loss.  If anything, I'm willing to bet my bf% has gone up.  Might have to get out my enemy the scale to see exactly how much it's gone up.  I think a lot.  Given I was always hovering well over 25% and pushing closer to 30% on any given day, this is really depressing. 

I honestly don't get how ETP works.  Maybe it's b/c I don't CF.  All those folks CF.  I guess somehow I'm not working hard enough to burn fat or calories properly.  I can't generally eat any more food that's healthy.  To be honest, I usually only meet carbs or calorie goals when I have a couple of beers.

Life was much easier and much better very low carb.  I could keep weight off and I looked a hell of a lot better.  I was still lifting and running about so I don't think the carbs are making any difference whatsoever.  I think it's all programming. 

I'm trying to find pics.

I AM going the distance

Breathe.  

Hrmpf.  *unhappy, pouty face*

I AM going the distance

I totally get what you're saying about MFP. When I wanted to get an idea of where my macros were at I tried it and then promptly deleted it because it wanted me to enter a weight loss goal. I used SparkPeople instead because it's not so pushy. 

I'm sorry that trying to do ETP is making you so unhappy. 

At the end of the day, you have to eat what works for you.  Just because the prescribed plan works for some people - doesn't mean it works for you.  After all, eating is such a large part of life.  You might as well enjoy it.

This. Not all bodies are created equal; what works for one may not work for others. My only question is, has your performance on your lifts and at Muay Thai improved at all on days when you meet your carb goal? Because that's the point, right? If it's making you unhappy/unhealthy, and if it's not helping you improve your performance, then there's not much of a point.

Big hugs. 

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

And myfitnesspal closes each day with a message that essentially says "if you eat like this every day you're going to gain 100lbs in a week.  You might as well pack it in now and continue shoveling ho hos in your face and sit on your fat ass b/c all hope is lost".  That's pretty much the exact message.

I'll never make it through Muay Thai tonight.  But myfitnesspal says I have a bit over 800 cal left for the day, no fat calories and I'm still at <70g carbs.  I am at 89g protein though (thank you breakfast but eff you lunch).  If I have a protein shake with vitargo, I'll have 500 calories (roughly) for dinner - no fat, about 50g carbs (which I won't eat), and protein.  I know dinner is kale, pork tenderloin, and other veg (tomatoes, etc).  So if I eat 500 cal for dinner, I will be at 2200 for the day (and officially burning no calories b/c I can't enter that).  And myfitness pal will tell me if I keep eating that I will gain 5lbs in 2 mos (yes, that's what it will say). 

I think more people need to track what they eat.  I am seriously not under eating - I over eat if anything - and here I am - look at my macros.  I'm shoveling in way too much food and I'm at 2200 calories.  I need an intervention. 

Talked with spousal unit - who is inconsistently tracking.  We are both debating going back to 2000 cal goal with much much lower carbs.  This is too much work and I'm not happy with the lack of results.

I honestly didn't know what you were talking about with the "WARNING - You'll explode!" messages in MFP. So I went back to the phone and started playing around with it and then remembered where that is. I NEVER click the "Complete This Entry" button. You know why? It doesn't complete anything. You can still go edit it and it remembers everything if you don't click on it. The only thing it does is print out that stupid message. Somedays I don't eat a lot because I'm fasting. It would tell me I'll waste away within the month. Other days I eat a shit ton of food, and...well, you already know what it says if it thinks you ate too much. So, I don't click on it. I use the thing strictly for tracking macros and total calories -- in that order of importance. Cuz, if I do a good job with the macros, the rest will fall in line. MFP does not do a good job of tracking calories burned. It does make it easy to track intake though and that's pretty much all I use it for.

Also, remember that you're burning a ton of calories with MT. Throw in the heavy lifting, the walking, the occasional run, and I'd believe your body is asking for more calories than it used to. MT burns so many more calories than what you used to do with WMAT. The heavy lifting you're doing is also burning more calories than what you did with WMAT.

^^^^^ THIS! Ya still gotta live. Ignore the warnings, or in my case, don't give it the opportunity to display them!

I don't understand how lifting 4x week, muay thai 3x week, plus my regular walking (which, granted is not for exercise, it's how I get around) does not equal any fat loss.  If anything, I'm willing to bet my bf% has gone up.  Might have to get out my enemy the scale to see exactly how much it's gone up.  I think a lot.  Given I was always hovering well over 25% and pushing closer to 30% on any given day, this is really depressing. 

I honestly don't get how ETP works.  Maybe it's b/c I don't CF.  All those folks CF.  I guess somehow I'm not working hard enough to burn fat or calories properly.  I can't generally eat any more food that's healthy.  To be honest, I usually only meet carbs or calorie goals when I have a couple of beers.

Life was much easier and much better very low carb.  I could keep weight off and I looked a hell of a lot better.  I was still lifting and running about so I don't think the carbs are making any difference whatsoever.  I think it's all programming.

Go with what works for you. As my friend, financial adviser and BJJ fighter (I have the coolest financial adviser on the planet!) is fond of saying, "The best workout/nutrition plan in the world is the one you can still do tomorrow. Cuz if you can only do it for a few weeks or even a month or two but you can't keep it up over the long haul, what good is it really?"

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I honestly didn't know what you were talking about with the "WARNING - You'll explode!" messages in MFP. So I went back to the phone and started playing around with it and then remembered where that is. I NEVER click the "Complete This Entry" button. You know why? It doesn't complete anything. You can still go edit it and it remembers everything if you don't click on it. The only thing it does is print out that stupid message. Somedays I don't eat a lot because I'm fasting. It would tell me I'll waste away within the month. Other days I eat a shit ton of food, and...well, you already know what it says if it thinks you ate too much. So, I don't click on it. I use the thing strictly for tracking macros and total calories -- in that order of importance. Cuz, if I do a good job with the macros, the rest will fall in line. MFP does not do a good job of tracking calories burned. It does make it easy to track intake though and that's pretty much all I use it for.

Also, remember that you're burning a ton of calories with MT. Throw in the heavy lifting, the walking, the occasional run, and I'd believe your body is asking for more calories than it used to. MT burns so many more calories than what you used to do with WMAT. The heavy lifting you're doing is also burning more calories than what you did with WMAT.

^^^^^ THIS! Ya still gotta live. Ignore the warnings, or in my case, don't give it the opportunity to display them!

Go with what works for you. As my friend, financial adviser and BJJ fighter (I have the coolest financial adviser on the planet!) is fond of saying, "The best workout/nutrition plan in the world is the one you can still do tomorrow. Cuz if you can only do it for a few weeks or even a month or two but you can't keep it up over the long haul, what good is it really?"

WHAT?  you don't have to obey the MFP rules?  Well eff that then. MFP going down.  I refuse to click complete my entry from here on out.  aha.  I'm so glad someone else understands that. 

I'm not sure if I'm performing better.  I dunno.  How much is programming versus diet?  I know carbs generally make me feel lousy any more (cept beer which makes me feel GREAT!).  I don't miss them much.  See - I'm still hungry. My stomach is almost growling (you know that pre-growl feeling?) but I have no interest in the sweet potato (1/2 cup) I have here in the fridge.  I also haven't eaten my eggplant b/c well.. it's eggplant.  bleh.  But I'll eat it at some point. 

I AM going the distance

Great find on the complete this entry button! I had never seen those warnings either. But I just thought it was because I was new to the program.

Bah humbug.  Here I am doing what I'm told and getting a psychological beat down for it.  Boooo MFP poorly played. 

I AM going the distance

okay I will regret this I'm sure but why the hell not. 

One honest pre-viewing comment - that last pic is not good.  That is a shitty mirror and I don't normally look that squat or round.  It's also really dark in that part of the locker room so it's a highly unflattering pic.  But, there it is.  Oh and that's a decent outfit compared to the red top, purple and green shorts, and pink and blue sneakers I was rocking last night.

Also (because I'm delaying you looking at the bad pics) - yes I freakin love my pink sneakers.  I have new ones I don't love as much but I see I'm wearing my old ones in almost every pic.  I work them on my Ruck and I'm wearing them on my next two rucks.  LOL. 

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/gallery/image/2909-meoverlast-year/

I AM going the distance

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines