Leaving Westros...

The lone wolf has survived thus far, from Winterfell, to Harrenhal and the Twins, up the Trident, to the Saltpans... But now, it's time to cross the narrow sea, and winter is coming... am I ready?

The Main Quest...

Surviving during the war of kings is tough, but surviving as a lone wolf may prove to be even more challenging. The long nights, and the endless days of travel require endurance, determination, and willpower beyond all else. There are 21 kilometers of road to travel ahead to get from the Saltpans to the narrow sea, where the whole future lies ahead. It's going to be tough, and daunting, but crossing that distance is the only way to escape the war, and who knows what lies beyond Westros...

Missions to that end...

Swift as a deer: run three times each week

Calm as still water: yoga twice a week

Fuel for the journey: eat a whole foods, plant based diet six days of the week

Life Quest...

Fear cuts deeper than swords: do something extraordinary and unexpected each week

Motivation...

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.†
Jack Kerouac On the Road

I need to get out of my current rut of having no energy, and no passion. 

Points...

Each week points (as a % of days completed) will be awarded for completion of each mission/quest. An average for each week will be determined. At the end of the challenge, an average of all 6 weeks will be determined from the weekly averages, and a 'success!' will be a 6 week average of 85% or greater. Reward TBD ... right now I'm leaning towards new running shoes.

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie
first challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34547-fear-cuts-deeper-than-swords/

STR 1.25 DEX 0 STA 3 CON 3 WIS 1.25 CHA 2

Hey whatbuttons:

Naw, no particular kind of yoga - I'm still a bit of a newb at it. But I've got free classes at my uni so that's what I am going to do, as well as the free weekly class at the yogatoday website (which is a bit of a longer session)... it only made it into my three main goals at the expense of strength training - but I'm going to try incorporate that too! Are you into any particular style of yoga? I'm thinking about trying 'hot yoga' but who knows...

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie
first challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34547-fear-cuts-deeper-than-swords/

My absolute favorite character! You can do it. Consider Tai Chi? Lots of energy from slow movements.

People always say, "When the time is right..." or "I'm waiting for the perfect..." Guess what the right time never comes along, the perfect moment, guy, gal or opportunity will never drop into your lap. Don't wait, start now. Do what is necessary, then what's possible... and suddenly you're doing the impossible.

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Wayward Son on Facebook | Wayward Son on Fitbit

Weight Loss : Current weight (240lbs) Goal weight (185lbs)

0%
0%

Current WIP: Amidst Broken Hearts Current Word Count (16,353) Goal Word Count (75,000)

22%
22%

Hey Waywardson74: no I've never tried Tai Chi but I think I would like it! I used to do Taekwondo, and as I'm now getting into yoga, I think Tai Chi would be a great blend of the energy level/balance of yoga but yet maintaining the techniques of martial arts. Do you have any favourite online resources?

Day 1 (for me, Day 2 of the challenge):

So I'll call today a success, even though I meant to wake up early and exercise, I can push it till tomorrow instead. Anyhow, the clean eating went really well, especially considering this week work is crazy for me. For breakfast I had a banana-berry smoothie with hemp protein powder, for lunch some kale coconut milk soup/stew on rice, for supper a cabbage/wild rice/tofu stir fry, and for... snack? second supper? I had a salad with some falafel because I was still hungry (although that may have just been fatigue setting in). Anyhow, I've got the alarm set for early tomorrow morning so I'll have time to make up my run from today (though, I did fit in about a 1/2 hour bike to work, but I typically do so it's not really part of my mission). 

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

If you have an ipad there is an app called 3D Tai Chi. If not I would recommend checking the local bookstore for books, normally in the martial arts or eastern religion section. If you're in a large city with a college check there for classes, or try meetup.com.

People always say, "When the time is right..." or "I'm waiting for the perfect..." Guess what the right time never comes along, the perfect moment, guy, gal or opportunity will never drop into your lap. Don't wait, start now. Do what is necessary, then what's possible... and suddenly you're doing the impossible.

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

Current WIP: Amidst Broken Hearts Current Word Count (16,353) Goal Word Count (75,000)

22%
22%

Nice I'll check it out!

Here's the update for the day:

Stuck to my word and got up extra early this morning for a 5 km run, followed by another berry-banana-hemp protein shake. Lunch was a repeat of last night's salad, and supper was a repeat of yesterday's lunch as well - the kale and coconut milk soup with rice. I feel really good about getting that run in this morning, because I know I won't have time tonight due to a long hectic day at work, followed by the official start of some holidays me and my partner have planned! So posts might be a bit sparse over the next few days, but I'm ~really~ going to try keep my workouts on track, and stick to at least *mostly* healthy eating!

Anyhow, thus far, 1 of 3 runs done for the week, 0 of 2 yoga sessions, and 2 of 6 days of eating whole foods!

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

Hey Arya,

not that I need to welcome you since you are already of House Stark, but perhaps I should introduce myself as a supporter of your house!   Sorry it has been late but better late than never!

Great job on healthy eating and having the discipline to getting up early to run!  Looking forward to see how your yoga sessions go and working together in the coming weeks!

Cheers Joe

Have you done something crazy and unexpected i'm super curious and i bet i'll be inspired by whatever it is you do!

No try, only do :)

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

22%
22%

Hey folks!

Sorry for not updating more regularly, however here's a copy/paste from the H. Stark group thread:

Thurs: no exercise today, clean eating check  :)

Fri: 12 km jog, clean eating all day, but then went out for beers (4 pints) and dinner with some friends and ended up eating french fries (just a few though! whoops!) and half a pretty greasy veggie burger

Sat: breakfast was not super healthy, as the beau and I went out for breakfast with some other friends of ours, and we ended up going to a bakery with really no healthy options (think scones and strudels), lunch was okay but not great (a sandwhich) and supper wasn't healthy either (some pizza and a salad). Also had 3 beers. 

Anyhow, today's plan is to get back on track! The beau's folks are coming into town around noon so hopefully I can convince them to go somewhere with healthy options for lunch. I'm also gonna attempt to do a run and yoga today (then, by the week's end I'll only be down 1 yoga session for the workouts part [with all 3 runs and 1 yoga session completed], and ~ 2 days of not clean eating [instead of the 1 day of not clean eating goal]). 

rexsomnii: so far this week I've not yet succeeded in doing anything towards my life quest... I may need to start out small for that one and work up to some more inspiring things - I'm generally a lover of routine so it's a serious challenge for me! Just checked out your quest (great job sticking to it thus far!) - is the zombie app you have "zombies, run!!!"? I have it but haven't used it for my runs in awhile (as I'm currently listening to the ASOIAF books right now... and don't like them interrupted!). Just wondering if its the same one?

Cheers for checking up on me folks! hopefully I'll keep the updates coming a bit more frequently this upcoming week!

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

From my research, "Zombies, run!" Seems to be the best app. Was kickstartered and seems really well done. Glad to see your doing great! "Swift as a deer, quiet as a shadow!!"

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

22%
22%

Forgot to post my week 1 summary in this thread the other day, so here it is:

2/3 runs complete (12k, 5k) ... 66%

0/2 yoga complete ... 0%!

5/6 healthy eating ... 83%

life quest 1/1 ... 100% : once a week I'm supposed to challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone and/or do something I normally wouldn't. This week, I've managed to do a few things that I perhaps wouldn't normally - while not hugely extraordinary, I decided to take some extra time off work even once my partner needs to head back, and take some extra time for myself (something I don't do often enough!). Also, I got caught outside in a thundershower during one of my runs, and instead of doubling back and finding shelter, I powered through. So, not totally out there, but I'm hoping small changes like this will help warm me up to some bigger, more exciting things in the future.

Week total: 62.25% ... so not great, but a good start I think, considering I'm on holidays. Anyhow, as for week 2 day 1, I've already completed my first run for the week (I'm going to do 2 long [10k +] runs this week to make up for the one missed run in week 1... typically i'd only do one long and 2 short runs each week) and am heading to get some yoga in now! Good work everyone!

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

Week 2 Day 2: was a success! Finally got started with my yoga routine and it felt really good - starting to work on crow pose but right now I can only stay in it for about a second. As for fuel, yesterday wasn't too healthy (but wasn't terrible either) with coffee, hashbrowns, eggs, and tempeh bacon for breakfast, grilled cheese and apple sandwiches for lunch, and spaghetti for dinner. Not very plant based, but hey, we'll call it my 1 day off for the week. Plans for today include a ~14 km run and some strength training exercises. I'm also going to prep/cook some healthy food for later this week. 

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

Anytime! Going to be trying it out myself soon!

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

22%
22%

So, today's been great thus far. Had a pre-workout snack of some dried fruit, ran 15.2 km (yay, longest run yet! sadly, however, the zombies app on my ipod couldn't update itself properly... so I had to put up with ASOIAF without any interruptions... poor me :P), had a post-workout electrolyte/sports drink followed by a protein rich fruit smoothie. I had a raw superfood energy bar in the afternoon and a bowl of tomato soup for supper, which I'm following with a salad and a glass of wine! Speaking of zombies, ran into the http//www.runforyourlives.com website and got totally jealous. I wish there were something like this going on all the time to make workouts a bit funner! Sadly, I live in a pretty desolate/small/isolated city where fun/adventure runs just don't happen very often! Maybe next year something will crop up :) At least I've got George R.R. keeping me company for now.

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

So, today's been great thus far. Had a pre-workout snack of some dried fruit, ran 15.2 km (yay, longest run yet! sadly, however, the zombies app on my ipod couldn't update itself properly... so I had to put up with ASOIAF without any interruptions... poor me :tongue:), had a post-workout electrolyte/sports drink followed by a protein rich fruit smoothie. I had a raw superfood energy bar in the afternoon and a bowl of tomato soup for supper, which I'm following with a salad and a glass of wine! Speaking of zombies, ran into the http//www.runforyourlives.com website and got totally jealous. I wish there were something like this going on all the time to make workouts a bit funner! Sadly, I live in a pretty desolate/small/isolated city where fun/adventure runs just don't happen very often! Maybe next year something will crop up :) At least I've got George R.R. keeping me company for now.

Hey Arya, congrats on that long run!!! Where is this desolate/small/isolated city you speak of? I come from such a place myself and figure we could compare desolation stories. :)

• Lvl 1 Wood Elf Ranger
  • Male, Age: 32
  • STR 2 - DEX 3 - STA 2 - CON 2 - WIS 2 - CHA 3 
  • 1st Challenge
  • "The Dude abides."

Pretty sure ASOIAF is a good subsitute for Zombies ;)

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

22%
22%

Haha yeah, I am not looking forward to when I run out of audiobooks!

Today's update:

It was a yoga day today, so I did a ~20 minute sequence and then used that as a warm up for my first try of the advanced bodyweight workout (which kicked my butt!). I'll definitely need to try that one again in a few days time (with some modifications)! Clean eating went really well too, and tomorrow I'm planning out my meals for the next few days and doing the prep so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up. I'm kinda hungry right now tho, I don't know if I ate enough today but it seems too late for a snack so I'm just gonna hit the sack and call it a night.

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

Elastoman - I'm in SK, Canada! Provincial population of 1 million... over a super huge area so it's pretty barren (and beautiful).. how about yourself?

I'm from North Dakota originally. State population of 650,000! But not as big of an area as SK. My wife and I live in Wisconsin now so it's a little more populated. Sometimes I really miss the frozen prairie though. :)

• Lvl 1 Wood Elf Ranger
  • Male, Age: 32
  • STR 2 - DEX 3 - STA 2 - CON 2 - WIS 2 - CHA 3 
  • 1st Challenge
  • "The Dude abides."

Here's a quick update on where I'm at: I was very sore (!) yesterday from the advanced body weight workout, so I took most of the day as rest and just did a quick 15 minute yoga session to loosen up a bit. Clean eating was also a success. Today I've started the morning with my run (7.2k, with some intervals in there) and am about to make my smoothie! Tonight may be interesting because it's a friend's birthday this week... so I may be out for a few drinks but I will keep it to 2 drinks at most.

Elastoman - I know what you mean about the prairies: there's something very nostalgic about the freezing cold winters... I think it must build character. At least your nice and close to the great lakes now tho!

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

So today's run was pretty interesting... in that I accidentally got lost in suburbia on my long run. So yeah, I'm the gal who that happens to. Anyhow, it was supposed to be a really long run anyways (I was aiming for 17 k), but after returning home and checking out the actual distance run, I added an extra 2 k running (and 3.5 walking - sheesh!). So I'm a bit more sore than I was planning, but I'm hoping a good night's rest will sort that out. Anyhow, as for the week summary: 4/3 runs complete, 4/2 yoga session (though 3 of these were pretty short), 5/6 days clean eating. I'm behind on my life goal (of doing 1 thing new to me/that I normally wouldn't do each week)... so I may attempt to do 2 new things next week to make up for it.

So... Running 100%

Yoga 100%

Clean Eating 83%

Stretching Myself 0%

Average: 70.75% 

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie

My question was, did you enjoy the long, lost making run?  That's what matters.  Glad you are moving along with your goals, you rock!

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

0%
0%

22%
22%

Hey Arya!

So today's run was pretty interesting... in that I accidentally got lost in suburbia on my long run. So yeah, I'm the gal who that happens to. Anyhow, it was supposed to be a really long run anyways (I was aiming for 17 k), but after returning home and checking out the actual distance run, I added an extra 2 k running (and 3.5 walking - sheesh!). So I'm a bit more sore than I was planning, but I'm hoping a good night's rest will sort that out. Anyhow, as for the week summary: 4/3 runs complete, 4/2 yoga session (though 3 of these were pretty short), 5/6 days clean eating. I'm behind on my life goal (of doing 1 thing new to me/that I normally wouldn't do each week)... so I may attempt to do 2 new things next week to make up for it.

So... Running 100%

Yoga 100%

Clean Eating 83%

Stretching Myself 0%

Average: 70.75% 

Look at you running like the wind and crushing the yoga!  So proud of you for all the progress.  You'll be ready to outrun the white walkers by the time winter comes.  :)  What poses are you working on with the yoga?

Ha!  Clearly we will need a map-reading team member to help us navigate the frozen north.  I don't so much have spatial skills, but my impaired map reading isn't consistent, so you can't just always go the opposite of the direction I think it is.  

re: the new things goal, what ideas do you have, or what areas are you looking to explore?

Way to go on week two!  Can't wait to see how week three turns out.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Attributed to Ian Maclaren.

"I must be cruel only to be kind;

Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind." William Shakespeare, Hamlet.

Support me over at my first challenge!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines