In Which Eilyd Practices Self-Discipline

Eilyd

Hi all! I'm normally a ranger, but I decided to come hang out with the Druids for this challenge. My current goals align a bit better over here, and I like making new friends too.

If you want to know more about me, the links in my signature will get you plenty of information. (I'm trying to type this up quickly.)

With where my life is right now, my main quest is going to be Life with Fitness and Diet side quests.

My Main Quest: Become an Editor

I love words and putting them in the right order, but right now I'm disguised as an accountant and I'm about to suffer a horrible death by numbers if I stay.  Movin' out!

1. Get the Word Out (+1 WIS, +2 STA)(Making habits requires stamina, I think)

- Write and publish one blog post per week. I can only use one from the back-up stash if I write another one to replace it.

2. Act the Part - 4-part goal (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)

- Rewrite and rearrange my resume so that it actually looks like it belongs to someone clever.

- Create an account on a main freelancing website and scope out the business.

- Propose part/full-time new job for myself to potential boss.

- Start editing for money - 5 hours a week by the end of the challenge.

3. Renew my Spirit(+2 WIS)

- Read Bible daily

- Pray nightly

- Dedicate my work (both current and hopeful) to God

Side Quest: Earn Booty Shorts (+1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA)

This whole new-life/job thing will require a lot of time, so I don't want to let my squat-conditioned ass go soft. I plan to keep my levels at least constant if not increasing.

- Hot Yoga once a week

- Tabata sprints 3x a week

- KISS strength work-out 2x a week.

Diet Quest: Fit in Clothes (+3 CON)

It's  not that I have much fat to lose, but somewhere in the past 2 years my clothes stopped fitting right and I'm tired of it. Also, I'm too cheap to buy new ones. I already eat 70-80% paleo, so these are on top of that.

- ONE sweet thing per week.

- ONE alcoholic mixed drink per week (or 2 cocktails).

- ONE grain-thing per week (pancake, bread, brownie, riceball...)

Sorry for the lack of extraneous chat. I really am quite friendly and I look forward to getting to know you better. But right now I'm sleepy. See you with the sunshine!

Grading:

A= >90%

B= >80%

C= >70%

F= <50%

• Like 1

Death by numbers... :panda:

What topic(s) do you discuss in your blog? I see it's called A Matter of Eloquence, cool title! Let us know when you post something, I know I'd like to check it out when I get some time.

You have a lot of stuff going on this challenge but it definitely seems doable and productive! I'm also trying to refine my diet a bit, so I'm trying to set little specifications for myself.

Hot yoga once a week is awesome.  I do hot vinyasa yoga around 5 times a week, and I drag my boyfriend once a week.  He won't go more than that, but he always appreciates how his body feels after.

Best of luck with everything, I'll check back again soon!

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

Thank you both!

UH: One, I wish I could think of something cleverer to call you. Two, I'm still a Ranger...I think. Just visiting. I doubt that I have enough focus to ever be anything other than a jack-of-all-trades.

My blog is on interpersonal communication, more or less.  It is an aspect of relationships that has always made sense to me, and I like sharing that sense with others.

Now that I re-read my goals, it does sound like a lot more than it is.  However, for the 2nd life goal, I have 4 components because 3 of them are very over-and-done-with kind of goals. Those 3 should (if I discipline myself) be able to be done in a week each, if not a week total. My 3rd life goal is a continuation of the process that I began last challenge.  And my fitness goal...that's going down to 2x strength routine a week.  It will really just work better. Now that I am becoming accustomed to hot yoga, I am able to push myself hard enough for it to count as a strength work-out as well.

Editing now to assign points. Wasn't thinking of it last night.  Speaking of things I forgot last night:

My Motivation:

In my chiropractor's office there's this poster that says, overlaying a photo of someone who obviously has a headache, "Are you sick and tired...of being sick and tired?"

I am.  I am sick and tired of my job, in the colloquial sense.  Furthermore I am literally tired by the amount of energy it requires from me (as it is not my natural inclination, I must try harder to do it diligently) and the additional effort required to keep our home intact, and I am sick at heart from having to go to a 8-4:30 office job that doesn't allow me to pursue my fascinations or be a housewife (yes, that is actually one of my ambitions in life).  I know that if I continue in this situation, I will probably become more inclined to be sick and tired health-wise, and I don't want to do that to my body.

So I am undertaking this quest to renew my life.  And, if I can make the full conversion to a self-employed editor, being extremely healthy can only help since I won't have health insurance (or at least, not in the same degree).

I am done being sick and tired.

I have this written on the same paper as the Disturbing Prayer on a cork board next to my desk, which has also provided some motivation for me.

For posterity, meaning myself in 6 weeks: 

Measurements

Bicep:  11"      | Chest: 35"  |  Waist: 27.5" | Hips: 37.5" |  Thigh: 20.5" |  Weight: 129.4 |  BF% 20.0 (est.)

Welcome here.

I totally understand you.

I do have a part time job in healthcare, too. It's draining. But fulfilling if you can actually help. Sadly this number decreases year by year for me...

What do you do for your KISS workouts?

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Oooh - a quest of reinvention! I love it. Heavens only knows there's enough crap out there that could've used a good editor before going public. Good luck!

I also love the clothes fitting quest. My jeans are far more honest than the scale, and I totally relate to being too cheap to buy bigger ones. I think that was the main reason I signed up here myself - I did not want to buy bigger pants.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

... I'm still a Ranger...I think. Just visiting. I doubt that I have enough focus to ever be anything other than a jack-of-all-trades. ...

Totally agree!  I'm thinking of asking the ranger mods to move my thread to the assassins for this challenge, because I just realized - rereading it - that it's basically about bodyweight, flow and gymnastics.  Oops!  One of the reasons I love being a ranger, though - we are the catch-all of guilds, which means we get to play around with all that cool "different" stuff. 

Looks like we'll both be doing the employment dance this go-round.  Do you want an accountabilibuddy for your blog?  Because I could definitely use one... I'm so backlogged with ideas and half-written posts it's ridiculous.  Let me know, we could work out a per-week check up on each other if you want. 

Good luck with the challenge and lots of love from (my final week in!) Brazil!

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

Welcome here.

I totally understand you.

I do have a part time job in healthcare, too. It's draining. But fulfilling if you can actually help. Sadly this number decreases year by year for me...

What do you do for your KISS workouts?

Oh, healthcare must be exhausting! HCR is all everyone's talking about where I work, because we do insurance, but being specifically in the industry must be even worse.

I started, three times a week, doing what Steve set out in his recent "You want to gain muscle?" workout. Now I have modified it to two days per week, Wednesday and Friday, because hot yoga is Monday.

5 Rounds

Day 1:

• Overhead Press
  • Dips/Push-ups
  • Chin-ups

Day 2:

• Deadlifts
  • Squats
  • Pull-ups

Oooh - a quest of reinvention! I love it. Heavens only knows there's enough crap out there that could've used a good editor before going public. Good luck!

I also love the clothes fitting quest. My jeans are far more honest than the scale, and I totally relate to being too cheap to buy bigger ones. I think that was the main reason I signed up here myself - I did not want to buy bigger pants.

Thanks so much for your support! Really, laziness/cheapness is a great motivator.

Totally agree!  I'm thinking of asking the ranger mods to move my thread to the assassins for this challenge, because I just realized - rereading it - that it's basically about bodyweight, flow and gymnastics.  Oops!  One of the reasons I love being a ranger, though - we are the catch-all of guilds, which means we get to play around with all that cool "different" stuff. 

Looks like we'll both be doing the employment dance this go-round.  Do you want an accountabilibuddy for your blog?  Because I could definitely use one... I'm so backlogged with ideas and half-written posts it's ridiculous.  Let me know, we could work out a per-week check up on each other if you want. 

Good luck with the challenge and lots of love from (my final week in!) Brazil!

I saw your flow idea--it's really cool. It's giving me ideas for the next challenge already.

Checking up on each other for blogs sounds great to me! It'll give me an excuse to chat with you more, and keep me going. Do you have any content developing as of now?

Love all these goals... but becoming an editor - way cool. Subbed

Thanks for stopping by, Bacon! I think it's pretty cool, but I'm word nerd. :) (Playing with word sounds is also fun)

First two and a half days are going well. Had friends over for a Cocktails and Lego party last night, and only had one-and-a-sip (but played with many legos!). Tonight is DnD night so I must brave the desire to drink myself silly and eat bread, because the DM loves to bring delicious bread with delicious butter. Oh the temptation!

Checking up on each other for blogs sounds great to me! It'll give me an excuse to chat with you more, and keep me going. Do you have any content developing as of now?

... the DM loves to bring delicious bread with delicious butter. Oh the temptation!

Sounds good!  And yes... I admit I have almost a year of content percolating that I haven't moved or done anything on.  The DMZ and North Korean defectors, Escuela del Sol and Montezuma Costa Rica, reverse culture shock in returning to the 'states, NASA and Cocoa Beach in Florida, Santa Cruz and Torres plus Ouro Preto in Rio Grande do Sul and Minas Gerais in Brasil, gem cutting/hunting, paragliding, an insane amount of food posts with pictures.... yeah, you could say I'm backlogged.  How do you want to proceed?

And... you know you could just eat the butter.  I'm guilty of this on several counts, especially when my former college roommate and I hang out and she makes apple butter.  She eats fresh bread and butter I eat... butter.  It's kind of fantastic. 

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

Ah yes! The druids!  A great place :) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did (however briefly). 

I'll make sure to check out your blog! 

Best of luck with the goals :) I'm sure you'll kick butt!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

First two and a half days are going well. Had friends over for a Cocktails and Lego party last night, and only had one-and-a-sip (but played with many legos!). 

SAY WHAT?!? Cocktails and Lego Party?  You can do that?  Brilliant.  I need to rethink my social life, and soon.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

SAY WHAT?!? Cocktails and Lego Party?  You can do that?  Brilliant.  I need to rethink my social life, and soon.

Well, we did it, so I guess you can! It just requires friends who like legos, drinking fancy drinks (a mini bar helps), dressing semi-fancy and making a delicious dinner.  It helps that my husband just got his ENTIRE childhood collection of legos from his parents' house. :D

Ah yes! The druids!  A great place :) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did (however briefly). 

I'll make sure to check out your blog! 

Best of luck with the goals :) I'm sure you'll kick butt!

Thanks for stopping by!

Sounds good!  And yes... I admit I have almost a year of content percolating that I haven't moved or done anything on.  The DMZ and North Korean defectors, Escuela del Sol and Montezuma Costa Rica, reverse culture shock in returning to the 'states, NASA and Cocoa Beach in Florida, Santa Cruz and Torres plus Ouro Preto in Rio Grande do Sul and Minas Gerais in Brasil, gem cutting/hunting, paragliding, an insane amount of food posts with pictures.... yeah, you could say I'm backlogged.  How do you want to proceed?

And... you know you could just eat the butter.  I'm guilty of this on several counts, especially when my former college roommate and I hang out and she makes apple butter.  She eats fresh bread and butter I eat... butter.  It's kind of fantastic. 

I'm mentally drooling over all the places you've been. UPDATE SO THAT I MAY LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOUR ADVENTURES.  Proceeding...well, my goal is one post per week, ideally in the later half of the week. Weekend/first half is for writing. I have lots to write, since I'm creating my content as I go. Howsabout...Wednesday check-up for writing, Friday check-up for posting and any pre-post brainstorming necessary? (read: I suck at titles and that may keep me from being a blogger.)

There are a lot of great things happening here!! Mainly.... booty shorts. haha :)

Glad to have you in the Druids this round!!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

LOL! Who says you can't enjoy your old childhood toys as an adult? Heck, I still watch Veggie Tales, Batman: Animated Series, Rugrats, etc. But your Lego party sounds epic! I wanna do sometime!

(Small joke I found: What are feet good for? Finding Legos in the dark!)

You're currently in Druids guild now! XD

Great goals for your main quest!

I have a blog too, and honestly keeping the habit of updating it needs lots of motivation, and yes, stamina haha… So I think once per week is a really great goal to build habit! I'm going to check out your blog :)

And I really love your "Renew my Spirit" goals. The read Bible daily goal is similar with my "finishing New Testament" goal :) We can do this!

Tabata sprints… Whoa. Someday I'm going to try this too.

Your diet quest about sweets really inspired me. I've been dealing with sugar problem recently lol

And about your motivation, being a student and working at healthcare, I can understand your situation. Being sick and tired is like part of the job desc. Realizing that we're actually sick and tired of being sick and tired is a good sign, and doing something about it is a one great step! You can do this!

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

Hi Eylid, and sorry about the late welcome! I do work in healthcare (couldn't resist mentioning that in view of what's written above, but I love my job) and it's been a busy week that prevented me from coming sooner.

Words, huh!? Yes, I can see that. And humour. I think you have your main quest outlined perfectly.

Great to have you here!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

one of the things I tell my kids is based on 1 cor 10.31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I tell them "I don't care if you shine toilets for a living, you make sure that you shine that toilet as if it were God's toilet and I will be happy with you"

everything you do you do as if you were doing it for God...

makes me a happy Jenn

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Great quest !

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

There are a lot of great things happening here!! Mainly.... booty shorts. haha :)

Glad to have you in the Druids this round!!

Hehe--they are my motivation.  Well, technically my husband's reaction to them is my motivation... :)

*giggles about the legoparty, waves friendly hello and leaves*

*waves back and smiles* 

LOL! Who says you can't enjoy your old childhood toys as an adult? Heck, I still watch Veggie Tales, Batman: Animated Series, Rugrats, etc. But your Lego party sounds epic! I wanna do sometime!

(Small joke I found: What are feet good for? Finding Legos in the dark!)

Feet are very good for that. And you totally should. It's high society.

You're currently in Druids guild now! XD

Great goals for your main quest!

I have a blog too, and honestly keeping the habit of updating it needs lots of motivation, and yes, stamina haha… So I think once per week is a really great goal to build habit! I'm going to check out your blog :)

And I really love your "Renew my Spirit" goals. The read Bible daily goal is similar with my "finishing New Testament" goal :) We can do this!

Tabata sprints… Whoa. Someday I'm going to try this too.

Your diet quest about sweets really inspired me. I've been dealing with sugar problem recently lol

And about your motivation, being a student and working at healthcare, I can understand your situation. Being sick and tired is like part of the job desc. Realizing that we're actually sick and tired of being sick and tired is a good sign, and doing something about it is a one great step! You can do this!

It is nice to see how our goals align. It makes it easier to encourage each other!

Hi Eylid, and sorry about the late welcome! I do work in healthcare (couldn't resist mentioning that in view of what's written above, but I love my job) and it's been a busy week that prevented me from coming sooner.

Words, huh!? Yes, I can see that. And humour. I think you have your main quest outlined perfectly.

Great to have you here!

Hello Eve! Thank you for the welcome. :) I am glad that your job fits your gifts and it is a good thing in your life, even if it does keep you busy.

one of the things I tell my kids is based on 1 cor 10.31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I tell them "I don't care if you shine toilets for a living, you make sure that you shine that toilet as if it were God's toilet and I will be happy with you"

everything you do you do as if you were doing it for God...

makes me a happy Jenn

That is a good verse, Jenn. Thank you for the reminder! That is what I am trying to do now as I work on finishing up my current job. I don't want to leave anything left undone or half-assed, and I am learning that if I cannot apply myself to this, I cannot expect myself to work hard when I have control over my own time.

Week in summary:

Become an Editor

1. Get the Word Out (+1 WIS, +2 STA)
- I posted yesterday! I finally got the words how I wanted them.  But I wish I could write something from the yelling person's perspective too. I want to facilitate understanding on both sides. A

2. Act the Part - 4-part goal (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)
- Rewrite and rearrange my resume so that it actually looks like it belongs to someone clever. Not yet
- Create an account on a main freelancing website and scope out the business. Not yet
- Propose part/full-time new job for myself to potential boss. Not yet, but I did work on the job proposal more.
- Start editing for money - 5 hours a week by the end of the challenge. Not yet.

3. Renew my Spirit(+2 WIS)
- Read Bible daily I did! Or husband read it aloud. I like his reading voice. :) A
- Pray nightly Done, even if a couple times I fell asleep in the middle. B
- Dedicate my work (both current and hopeful) to God Trying? It is hard to do, but I am at least staying more focused and getting more done in the day instead of bouncing around between projects but accomplishing little. A
 Earn Booty Shorts

- Hot Yoga once a week Done! A
- Tabata sprints 3x a week Done! A
- KISS strength work-out 2x a week. Done! A

Fit in Clothes
- ONE sweet thing per week.  This...I sort of followed. I exercised a lot more self-control than usual; between a bridal shower and a wedding I only had half a slice of cheesecake and four gluten-free cookies. B
- ONE alcoholic mixed drink per week (or 2 cocktails). Yes, with a couple sips of husband's drink at the wedding. B
- ONE grain-thing per week (pancake, bread, brownie, riceball...) Banana Peanut Butter muffin with rice flour. YUM. A.

That is a good verse, Jenn. Thank you for the reminder! That is what I am trying to do now as I work on finishing up my current job. I don't want to leave anything left undone or half-assed, and I am learning that if I cannot apply myself to this, I cannot expect myself to work hard when I have control over my own time.

that's what I am trying to teach the kiddos

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines