In Which Eilyd Practices Self-Discipline

Eilyd

Earn booty shorts.. I love it :D

Good luck with this goal! It's hairy and audacious and awesome. Dunno if you know but I was lead editor for a pretty popular weblog back in the day. I don't know if ProBlogger still has leads on paid and unpaid gigs but there used to be a lot of decent stuff on there - though I got my job by being an avid reader of the site and spotting a post saying they were hiring.

My husband's a big fan of Ramit Sethi and his methods including "Earn 1K on the side", which is a fairly expensive course but he's found it helpful for a kick up the arse with side project stuff.

cavejen

lifting heavy stuff

putting it back down again

since 2012

~

Level 3 Cyborg Warrior

Current Challenge || Previous Challenges: (4), (3), 21 || Fitocracy

Just about straight A's so far, way to go!

I liked your blog entry, it was really well done. I don't know, I don't think it needed something from the yelling person's perspective though- by leaving that part out it kinda puts the reader (or at least me) in their shoes and left me to remember/reimagine events as if I was on that side of things. Might make me think twice next time I hear one of those conversations :)

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

I want to look good in these babies on of these days:

womens-red-marines-booty-shorts-9.jpg?v=

FOR THE BOOTY!!

one of the things I tell my kids is based on 1 cor 10.31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I tell them "I don't care if you shine toilets for a living, you make sure that you shine that toilet as if it were God's toilet and I will be happy with you"

everything you do you do as if you were doing it for God...

makes me a happy Jenn

SO THANKFUL FOR ALIENJENN - needed that post

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

SO THANKFUL FOR ALIENJENN - needed that post

glad I could help :)

how are you doing on your goals Eilyd

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Eilyd got herself super distracted by life and things. Sorry for my silence!

Earn booty shorts.. I love it :D

Good luck with this goal! It's hairy and audacious and awesome. Dunno if you know but I was lead editor for a pretty popular weblog back in the day. I don't know if ProBlogger still has leads on paid and unpaid gigs but there used to be a lot of decent stuff on there - though I got my job by being an avid reader of the site and spotting a post saying they were hiring.

My husband's a big fan of Ramit Sethi and his methods including "Earn 1K on the side", which is a fairly expensive course but he's found it helpful for a kick up the arse with side project stuff.

I did not know that you were that! I shall look into it.  I have recently subscribed to Ramit Sethi's posts. They are interesting and I think they shall be helpful.

Just about straight A's so far, way to go!

I liked your blog entry, it was really well done. I don't know, I don't think it needed something from the yelling person's perspective though- by leaving that part out it kinda puts the reader (or at least me) in their shoes and left me to remember/reimagine events as if I was on that side of things. Might make me think twice next time I hear one of those conversations :)

Thank you. :) That was my goal. I didn't want to put the other perspective in the same post, but in a different one--so that when someone like me (who shrivels up in fear when people yell) will know what is going on behind the scenes for the yelling person, and can be less afraid and more understanding.

im not religious but even so i like your idea about devoting your work... my experience is that this attitude has the nice side effect of making one quite happy! :)

It does! Even after a week I am less loathe to get up in the morning, and doing my work is *slightly* less of a pain. I also find myself thinking of good and helpful and kind things so much more often.

This is an uplifting thread... and the scripture bit is encouraging to see. My wife and I are getting back to this as well.

I am glad that it encourages you. Please do! I had forgotten how much lighter one's life can be with habitual focus on Jesus.

Last week's summary:

Become an Editor

1. Get the Word Out (+1 WIS, +2 STA)
- I did not post, but I have about half of one in the works, and a couple other ideas brewing. I intend to post today. C.

2. Act the Part - 4-part goal (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)
- Rewrite and rearrange my resume so that it actually looks like it belongs to someone clever. Not yet
- Create an account on a main freelancing website and scope out the business. Profile created! But they want me to take tests in things to certify myself. Did not anticipate.
- Propose part/full-time new job for myself to potential boss. Sent out some feelers while talking with potential boss's right hand. Need ascertained. Also discussed with Father how best to propose.
- Start editing for money - 5 hours a week by the end of the challenge. Not yet.
A for doing things.

3. Renew my Spirit(+2 WIS)
- Read Bible daily Yes, now with additional devotional material. A!
- Pray nightly Done, and I find myself more inclined toward "praying without ceasing". You know how some texting conversations with friends take place piece-meal throughout the day? It's kind of like that. A!
- Dedicate my work (both current and hopeful) to God Trying to stay focused. I think I am accidentally justifying my distraction now by reading pro blogs/articles on LinkedIn and pieces of theological interest...it's better than imgur and Cracked, but still distraction. B.
 Earn Booty Shorts

- Hot Yoga once a week Done! A
- Tabata sprints 3x a week Done! A
- KISS strength work-out 2x a week. Done! A

Fit in Clothes
- ONE sweet thing per week.  Stupid work birthday parties with ALL THE FOOD. But I only had a little piece of cake. A.
- ONE alcoholic mixed drink per week (or 2 cocktails). Yes, because they kept spilling. Or I accidentally threw it at someone, thinking it was the empty cup...this was a huge week for alcohol abuse. I think I owe about 30 penance pushups. Thanks to gravity, though- A
- ONE grain-thing per week (pancake, bread, brownie, riceball...) Work food, had small samplings of various grain things with emphasis on macaroni and cheese.  Ohhh the punishment my intestines put me through for that. Gluten is not a friend. A.

So far this week has been going well too. On Sunday I used up my sweet thing on an ice cream cone--it was just the perfect night for it! Husband and I had gone for a walk/hike in the park and it was just a bit hot, and it felt like the "summer date night" kind of situation where the evening should be finished off with ice cream.

Also, OMG ALMOND BUTTER IS THE BEST! Found it at the grocery store on special (only $4!), and got apples this week to eat with it. So much flavor! I would eat this all the time if it weren't expensive.

Last night was a really good yoga night. I kept falling out of the balance poses, but in the Sabasana interludes I was meditating on various verses, and I threw myself at all the other poses 100%! I feel quite stiff today, even a bit in my triceps. Because of Dr.'s appointment, missed sprinting, but I will make that up later in the week.

Also, starting next week, I will be officially off of hormonal bc, so hopefully my emotions will normalize and strength gains will quicken! Hoorah!

Aaaaw, I love hearing when husbands and wives continue to go on dates or just enjoy each other's company. It's depressing when society portrays marriage as depressing and destroys lives.

ALMOND BUTTER ROCKS!! :victorious:

http://youtu.be/FEqdDdvFXZ0

just thought I would leave this here

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Aaaaw, I love hearing when husbands and wives continue to go on dates or just enjoy each other's company. It's depressing when society portrays marriage as depressing and destroys lives.

ALMOND BUTTER ROCKS!! :victorious:

I agree! It was also a big peeve (damn, does that have enough e's?) of mine that literally 99% of the wedding cards we got were all, "Marriage is Serious Business". Only my brother and his wife gave us one that was like "Yay! You're married! Have fun and enjoy it because marriage is the best!"  Not to say that marriage isn't serious business, but it's also sweet-romantic business, and hanging-upside-down-off-the-couch-laughing business, and sexy business, and tedious business. So I'm making it my business to declare that marriage is not depressing and does not destroy lives. Marriage is one of the best institutions to uplift, rejuvenate, and create lives. :) (Though I'm ok to wait on the creating part.)

All that enthusiasm today set me up for a bit of failure with work dedication. Wasted the whole afternoon reading stuff on here (Overheard at the Gym...). Then got home, in a funk, so husband prescribed me a nap, which was good. But when he woke me up I honestly threw a temper tantrum that would make a 3-year-old cringe. And he responded by being absolutely patient and gracious while telling me to stop being absurd, to sit down and eat something, and to come back to being an adult.  I know it was hormone changes causing freakish PMS things, but good heavens was I childish. I am just so thankful and blessed with a husband who knows what to do with me. (I certainly wouldn't have handled myself as well. I probably would have smothered myself under a pillow.)

So no blog post, but I will get to it, I swear!

Another great reminder. :)

is one of my favorite songs :)

Spoiler

All that enthusiasm today set me up for a bit of failure with work dedication. Wasted the whole afternoon reading stuff on here (Overheard at the Gym...). Then got home, in a funk, so husband prescribed me a nap, which was good. But when he woke me up I honestly threw a temper tantrum that would make a 3-year-old cringe. And he responded by being absolutely patient and gracious while telling me to stop being absurd, to sit down and eat something, and to come back to being an adult.  I know it was hormone changes causing freakish PMS things, but good heavens was I childish. I am just so thankful and blessed with a husband who knows what to do with me. (I certainly wouldn't have handled myself as well. I probably would have smothered myself under a pillow.)

So no blog post, but I will get to it, I swear!

See that's what I want in my marriage! I haven't had any really good role models for marriage in my family at all. My mom and dad got married young (and after "overhearing" a conversation she was having, I found out they only got married because she was pregnant with my older sister) and they argue constantly. Sometimes it comes to blows, or threats of divorce and they are loud. The rest of the family is full of divorce, and I wouldn't be surprised if my twin got a divorce.

What you have with your husband is what I'm hoping for. Even if the going gets tough I know I have someone who'll have my back in a fight!

A new day today... good morning!!!!!

Are you a John Piper fan by chance? I love his stuff, especially "Don't Waste Your Life" - much of what you post here makes me think of that book.

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

LostOne, I know what you mean! I have been very fortunate that my parents have a strong and healthy marriage;my dad is Spock and my mother is at least 1/4 Vulcan, so their personalities are disposed toward debate and civil resolution rather than argument. The rest of my family and Husband's family are much more volatile and there is a prevalence of divorce/unhealthy relationships. It makes me sad to see, but it serves to make me strive for a healthy marriage even more! I am certain that if you choose wisely and continue in wisdom with your eventual husband, you can break the pattern in your family.

Bacon, I have not read his writing, but from what I have heard from Husband and others, I believe I would appreciate a lot of it. Ah, there is so much wisdom to be gathered all over! Why am I sitting here doing accounts when I could be learning great things?

You have Vulcan blood?! Remind me never to piss you off!

P.S. Why are you an accountant? No one grows up saying, "I want to be an accountant when I grow up!" Plus from what I've seen in police t.v. shows, accountants are the number one people that get killed by the mob for snitching. But your of Vulcan ancestry, you'll live :)

keep-calm-and-use-a-vulcan-nerve-pinch-6

FortBacon- Have I ever told you how much I LOVE your name? Makes me hungry and happy at the same time!

Last week's summary:

Become an Editor

- I did not post, but I have about half of one in the works, and a couple other ideas brewing. I intend to post today. C.

- Rewrite and rearrange my resume so that it actually looks like it belongs to someone clever. Not yet

- Create an account on a main freelancing website and scope out the business. Profile created! But they want me to take tests in things to certify myself. Did not anticipate.

- Propose part/full-time new job for myself to potential boss. Sent out some feelers while talking with potential boss's right hand. Need ascertained. Also discussed with Father how best to propose.

- Start editing for money - 5 hours a week by the end of the challenge. Not yet.

A for doing things.

- Read Bible daily Yes, now with additional devotional material. A!

- Pray nightly Done, and I find myself more inclined toward "praying without ceasing". You know how some texting conversations with friends take place piece-meal throughout the day? It's kind of like that. A!

- Dedicate my work (both current and hopeful) to God Trying to stay focused. I think I am accidentally justifying my distraction now by reading pro blogs/articles on LinkedIn and pieces of theological interest...it's better than imgur and Cracked, but still distraction. B.

Earn Booty Shorts

- Hot Yoga once a week Done! A

- Tabata sprints 3x a week Done! A

- KISS strength work-out 2x a week. Done! A

Fit in Clothes

- ONE sweet thing per week. Stupid work birthday parties with ALL THE FOOD. But I only had a little piece of cake. A.

- ONE alcoholic mixed drink per week (or 2 cocktails). Yes, because they kept spilling. Or I accidentally threw it at someone, thinking it was the empty cup...this was a huge week for alcohol abuse. I think I owe about 30 penance pushups. Thanks to gravity, though- A

- ONE grain-thing per week (pancake, bread, brownie, riceball...) Work food, had small samplings of various grain things with emphasis on macaroni and cheese. Ohhh the punishment my intestines put me through for that. Gluten is not a friend. A.

So far this week has been going well too. On Sunday I used up my sweet thing on an ice cream cone--it was just the perfect night for it! Husband and I had gone for a walk/hike in the park and it was just a bit hot, and it felt like the "summer date night" kind of situation where the evening should be finished off with ice cream.

Also, OMG ALMOND BUTTER IS THE BEST! Found it at the grocery store on special (only $4!), and got apples this week to eat with it. So much flavor! I would eat this all the time if it weren't expensive.

Last night was a really good yoga night. I kept falling out of the balance poses, but in the Sabasana interludes I was meditating on various verses, and I threw myself at all the other poses 100%! I feel quite stiff today, even a bit in my triceps. Because of Dr.'s appointment, missed sprinting, but I will make that up later in the week.

Also, starting next week, I will be officially off of hormonal bc, so hopefully my emotions will normalize and strength gains will quicken! Hoorah!

Great going there!

I am so annoyed that we don't have almond butter where I live, or at least I haven't found it anywhere yet... I tried it in April whilst visiting vegan friends and loved it!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

You have Vulcan blood?! Remind me never to piss you off!

P.S. Why are you an accountant? No one grows up saying, "I want to be an accountant when I grow up!" Plus from what I've seen in police t.v. shows, accountants are the number one people that get killed by the mob for snitching. But your of Vulcan ancestry, you'll live :)

Something close to that. The psychological classification is "INTJ", which is my dad's personality type according to Myers-Briggs.

Hah! I am an accountant because I graduated college a year and a half ago with a Spanish degree in the middle of Pennsylvania, where the only people who want a Spanish major are call centers, and I would probably die within a week of doing that job. (I don't do well with people being bothered at me in any language.) So I applied to a temp agency, and they sent me to the company I work for--they wanted an administrative assistant who was clever enough to figure out how to do accounting stuff. They got me, and hired me properly, so it's a decent job-by-chance.

Great going there!

I am so annoyed that we don't have almond butter where I live, or at least I haven't found it anywhere yet... I tried it in April whilst visiting vegan friends and loved it!

Ah, that is too bad. Have you tried ordering from Amazon? I've come to the conclusion that just about anything could be had from there...

Eilyd - how are things?! Update update update!!!

Oh, you want an update do you.....

Week summary:

Become an Editor

- I finally posted the thing I was going to post last week. B for delaying and being lame. But this week will have a special interest post!

Rewrite and rearrange my resume so that it actually looks like it belongs to someone clever. Um....
Create an account on a main freelancing website and scope out the business. Done. Still need further profile TLC.
Propose part/full-time new job for myself to potential boss. Not yet, but ooooooh the story I will tell!!!!!!
- Start editing for money - 5 hours a week by the end of the challenge. Not yet.

Read Bible daily 7/7, A. There are some amazing stories about Elijah.
Pray nightly 6/7, B. Tsk on me.
Dedicate my work (both current and hopeful) to God Yes, and prayed earnestly about the job proposal, which definitely paid off! (Yes, I'll tell you soon.)

Earn Booty Shorts

Hot Yoga once a week Done! A
Tabata sprints 3x a week 2/3, B. I missed Monday, so I was going to make up Thursday, but Thursday was the blood drive...and it just seemed like a bad idea to sprint after that.
KISS strength work-out 2x a week. B. I did it, but I feel like I was pretty meh about it and used giving blood as an excuse to half-ass it.

Fit in Clothes
ONE sweet thing per week.  Yep! Tasty ice cream with husband. Did not have Rita's Ice at company picnic!
ONE alcoholic mixed drink per week (or 2 cocktails). Safe! Bastardized Moscow Mule.
ONE grain-thing per week (pancake, bread, brownie, riceball...) A+, because I ate NONE. Wheee!

Ok, so the really super awesome thing related to the job-sculpting proposing! Saturday was the company picnic, so I thought that maybe I would try to bring it up casually to Jamey (potential boss/job approver) there, because he'd be relaxed and there'd be no immediate pressure to do anything. But I've been feeling really uneasy about broaching the subject on my own, without some cue from him.  Even a "You're a big help to us" would have been enough. So Friday night I prayed that he would give me some kind of compliment or comment that I could use as a spring board to bring it up.

Saturday, I was there early to help set up and everything, thought he might be there (since he's head of the planning team), but he wasn't, so there was no good opportunity, and then the picnic started, and then after the picnic most people were going to the baseball game (we're just not into baseball, so we bailed after food). So yay, picnic fun, ate lots of food, then it was clean-up time so Husband and I were helping to put things away, and eventually it was just the caterers, me and Husband, Jamey and his wife, and the president, Russell, and his wife. And we're wrapping things up in the company tailgating lounge, where Russell hosts a lot of clients for football games/parties.  And out of nowhere, Russell, not Jamey, says, "Hey Eilyd, how good are you at Facebook? I was thinking we need to do more with our tailgating page, and we could put your writing to use." SQUEEEE.

This is so exciting because
  1. Russell knows that I'm good at writing (I'm the official but volunteer editor for our company newsletter)
  2. Russell realizes that social media and web presence are important (which most of the company doesn't)
  3. This was going to be part of my EXPANDED, full-time job proposal if the wellness-related half went over well.
  4. The HEAD OF STUFF wants me to do this, which means it will be a lot easier to get past budget approval and department reconstruction

I am so thankful for this in! This week at work I'm going to try and meet with him to discuss his idea further, and possibly present the further options that I've been thinking of.

Now THAT is an update! Congrats on having a plan and on getting the opportunity to pitch it to the right person!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines