• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Duedhel

Duedhel's First Quest to Awesomeness

Main Quest

Lose weight and get down to 150 lbs by the end of next year.

Mission #1

Do the Beginner Body Weight Routine 3x a week

I will be aiming for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I might have to change a day every once in a while due to life, but these are days I normally don't have anything extra going on outside of work, so I have no excuses!

Mission #2

Write down what I eat every day

I have an app on my phone that I will be using for this. In order to get credit for a day, I have to log everything the day I eat it. Going back the next day and finishing the previous day's log doesn't count.

Mission #3

Get at least 6 hours of sleep every night

I currently have a pretty irregular sleeping schedule. I'll go to bed anywhere from 11pm to 2am and I usually have to be up no later than 7:30. For this mission, I will only be counting hours slept during the night until my alarm goes off. Any time involving a snooze button will not count towards the total.

Motivation

I'm tired of having to squeeze into seats at restaurants or movie theaters. I'm tired of not having much to wear that fits me when I have a closet and dresser full of clothes I wore when I was smaller. I'm tired of hiding in jackets or oversized sweaters because I'm embarrassed of how I look. I'm tired of making goals or plans and not following through with any of them. I'm tired of eating to feel better, feeling guilty, then eating even more to feel less guilty.

General Stats

Height: 5'7"

Starting weight: 254 lbs

Age 30, 6'1", 329 lbs. I know that feel. Although to be honest, even if (WHEN, I mean) I get thinner, I will always enjoy hiding in a hoodie.

Stick with it. You can do this. You've got some great motivation there. That pain does not go away easy.

Best of luck!

Hoodies are the best! I just want my reason for wearing them to change from "I'm hiding, don't look at me" to "It's cold outside! I should wear my hoodie!"

Update #1: End of Week 1

I was really wanting to do an update in the middle of the week, but life threw me sideways and upside down on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I didn't have the chance. That being said, I hit all my goals this week!

I've definitely figured out where I am on the Beginner's Body Weight routine. I haven't yet made it to a third set, but that's definitely a mini-goal for this challenge! I learned the first day that my pushups are at level -4 (you only thought 0 was as low as you could go!). So I've added 20 wall pushups at the start of a set and 20 incline pushups in the middle. I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it on the pushups or not but I have to start somewhere! Lunges are still hard for me too, although the last time I did them, I didn't topple over, so I'm counting that as progress. I'm still trying to jury-rig something heavy enough for the inverted rows. All I have in terms of "official" equipment is a pair of 5lb weights. Not exactly setting any records there! I found a small toolbox and I've thrown one of the weights, a hammer, and a big can of tuna in and that's better, but I definitely need more weight!

I've been cutting it really close on writing things down on the same day. I keep forgetting about it during the day until I go to bed and sometimes it was 11:45 or later when I finished. That's a little too close to my deadline for me. I cut it close on a couple of nights with the sleep too, so I've obviously got some work to do to stay on top of things!

All in all, I'm really excited about this past week. The pain on day after my first workout was brutal (my coworker kept wondering why I made funny faces going up and down the stairs - I HURT!) but it's gotten better and I'm still looking forward to the next workout. I'm also really happy that I didn't bring home any queso from the party at work. I almost always end up bringing it home (maybe because it's in my crockpot?) but this time I was able to get everyone else to take it instead. Yay for small victories!

End of Week 1 Weight: 252 (-2)

I love the ingenuity of using a toolbox with weights in it. That's some nerd level thinking right there! If you have a thing full of spare change (who does these days), you could even through ziplocks full of money in there for added weight. Way to make it work. And I think as long as you're doing some kind of pushup, working toward doing the real thing, good for you. I still have to do most of mine off my knees. Persistence is key I guess.

You could try bringing a small journal along with you to write things down in. Or take notes on your phone. I've tried both but never managed to stick with either, so I guess I don't have a good suggestion.

Keep up the good work!

I love the ingenuity of using a toolbox with weights in it. That's some nerd level thinking right there! If you have a thing full of spare change (who does these days), you could even through ziplocks full of money in there for added weight. Way to make it work. And I think as long as you're doing some kind of pushup, working toward doing the real thing, good for you. I still have to do most of mine off my knees. Persistence is key I guess.

You could try bringing a small journal along with you to write things down in. Or take notes on your phone. I've tried both but never managed to stick with either, so I guess I don't have a good suggestion.

Keep up the good work!

The loose change is a GENIUS idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I even work at a bank, so I know how heavy coin can get!

I have an app on my phone where I plug everything in: food, water, workouts. I just keep waiting until the last minute. Maybe I'll have to make my procrastination my life goal for the next challenge.

Thanks for the support! :)

Update #2: Midweek of Week 2

I made it through three set of the Beginner's Body Weight workout yesterday!! I was almost dead afterwards, but I did it! STILL having problems with the lunges though. I have a weird pain in the back of my right knee and thigh that only shows up when I'm doing lunges with my right foot forward. It's not there when it's my left foot or when I'm doing squats (I love squats!). I'm thinking I might have messed something up when I played Ultimate Frisbee on Sunday or my form might be off, so I will be looking up how to do those correctly before I do them again. See if that solves anything.

I've noticed the last few days that I haven't been going to bed after midnight which is making the "getting 6 hours of sleep" part of the challenge easier. Now if I could just stop sleeping through my first alarm, that would be great! Thank goodness for backups! I've also noticed that on the days I work out, I end up not eating enough calories, according to my app. So that's something else I'll have to keep an eye on. I didn't realize just how much planning you have to do to make sure you're eating enough and eating (mostly) healthy within a budget!

I found out this weekend that my family has joined the gym at their local rec center and have started going 3 or 4 times a week to exercise. I think I'm going to keep an eye on their progress and see if I can't have better results at the end of six weeks than they do. ;) Nothing like a secret challenge right?? :ph34r:

LOVE the secret challenge. Seems like a good way to see what the money will get you beyond what you can get at home. Also congrats on getting through three sets! 

What app are you using to track things (apologies if you already mentioned)? I may need to start doing that myself. I wonder how I'm doing calorie wise per day.

LOVE the secret challenge. Seems like a good way to see what the money will get you beyond what you can get at home. Also congrats on getting through three sets! 

What app are you using to track things (apologies if you already mentioned)? I may need to start doing that myself. I wonder how I'm doing calorie wise per day.

I use the MyFitnessPal app on my phone (and it's free!). You can log exercises, water intake, and anything you've eaten throughout the day. If you eat the same thing for lunch everyday, you can save it as a meal to make things quicker. Most foods are already in the search engine and they're pretty good about updating things quickly. For me, the best part is being able to see just how healthy all the recipes I put in are. If you can't get the app on your phone, there's a website too: www.myfitnesspal.com.

Hey, if you are having some problems with your knee you should head over and browse mwod. Here is a video about knee pain. That man has changed my life for sure, hopefully his website can at least help you out a bit.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely keep looking around his site. There's a lot to go through!

Update #3: End of Week 2

I met all of my goals again, although I almost didn't get all of my workouts in. I was physically and mentally exhausted on Saturday and I had to force myself to get through two sets of the Beginner's Body Weight workout. I did up the difficulty in the incline pushups and boy is that a noticeable difference! I'm still struggling with lunges (my arch-nemesis!) but they seem to go a little better as long as I'm REALLY concentrating on my form. I'm sure I'm quite a comical sight, so I'm kind of glad I live by myself!

I had a party to go to after work on Friday and I was completely prepared to obliterate my calorie goal for the day (tons of teenagers = tons of junk food!). I had a hotdog, cheeseburger, a handful of potato chips with homemade salsa, and a vanilla Coke (I haven't had a Coke/soda/pop in almost three weeks). That's it! Old me would have made at least two more rounds for potato chips and dip and probably at least one more Coke, but I only ate until I was full. I even bypassed the desserts. After logging everything, I only went over my calorie goal for that day by about 100 calories. Talk about a step in the right direction!

Unfortunately, I have no update on my secret challenge. I still think I'm going to win though. My wonderful supportive coworker keeps telling me that my clothes are looking a little bigger on me. I'm not sure if she's right or if it's just wishful thinking on my part!

End of Week 2 Weight: 249 (-5 total)

Congratulations on the restraint at the work party! That's a pretty big accomplishment IMO. Congrats on sticking with it and good luck with your lunges (I STILL have to put hand on my kitchen table to keep from toppling over).

How'd this week go for you?

I'm not entirely sure how to describe this past week. The emotional side of me wants to claim it was an abysmal failure while the rational side wants to say that while it wasn't the best week ever, it could have been worse. I haven't decided which one I'm going to go with yet. I know I need to do an official update, but I just haven't had the umph to do it.

Quoting Certified Wong Buggalo here: even the worst days are a victory. Be rational and don't beat yourself up over the little things. As long as you keep trying, you'll get there. Never give up. Start over now, with this week. Here's hoping things get better!

Good luck and I'll keep popping back to check on you. Feel free to vent!

Update #4: End of Week 3

Last week was really rough. Apathy and exhaustion were the keywords of the week. Work was an absolute nightmare on Monday and I was so tired and stressed when I got off, all I wanted to do was drown my problems in food. And I did. That was the best pint of sherbet I've had in months. So yeah. Blew my calorie goal/limit for that day and I've been struggling to get my feet underneath me ever since. I guess I should be a little proud of the fact that I didn't go completely overboard for a couple of days like I used to, but it's still discouraging to know that I turned to food right off the bat to cope. I really wish I had something physical to do on the days I don't do the body weight routine. I'm not exactly confident enough to go for a run in public (more like a walk/jog really) and the fact that it's triple digits outside is also a deterrent. I have the WiiFit, but it's a snooze-fest compared to the body weight workout. Besides, I really HATE that stupid board always telling me I'm missing workouts, that I'm overweight, or didn't meet a goal. Maybe that will be my unofficial life quest: find something to do on days off from the body weight workout.

I did do three body weight workouts this week, although I had to force myself a couple of times. Saturday's workout I ended up doing on Sunday morning. I made the mistake Friday night of having a Dr.Pepper with dinner and I was up until 4am as a result. I haven't been up that late since college. I also learned that it's better to work out when fully awake. I was swaying worse than Captain Jack Sparrow during my lunges and I staggered around my apartment in zombie-mode for a few minutes afterwards trying to remember why I thought working out in the morning was such a great idea. Working out before I eat dinner seems to work pretty good (well? My grammar is failing me), so I will try to stick with that going forward. I missed a day on my food tracking and there were two nights where I didn't get six hours of sleep. The other nights I was going to bed early and then sleeping through my alarms. Not good either.

I don't have much to report on in the way of progress for the secret challenge. I did talk to my mom today and she did say they were still going and working out at the rec center. She also told me her neck and shoulders were hurting and she thought it was from one of the machines. I can't remember if she said "crunches" or "curls" but it was one of those. I really wanted to tell her that she didn't need to use a machine for either of those, but I didn't really feel like I was in much of a position to do so. Maybe in a few months after I've lost more weight I can say something.

I feel like I didn't say everything I needed to in this post, but I'm so tired I think I will leave it as-is for now.

End of Week 3 Weight: 247 (-7 total (how did that happen?!))

Chin up, you are still here and moving forward and that is positive progress in my book! On days you feel like you need something physical, maybe try some mobility work, soft tissue work, light stretching or yoga? Good job so far! 

Don't let it get you down! Keep trying. Proud of you for posting and being honest. It takes guts to admit that everything isn't rainbows and kittens.

Maybe try walking around a mall on the off days? Should be air conditioned, and you can people watch.

Good luck, you can do this!

Update #5: End of Week 4

I am updating from work on my phone so if there are any formatting issues or unusual typos, I apologize. This past week was better for me, at least mentally. I am finally out of that depressing funk from the week before and my head is back in the game.

Unfortunately, I made some not-so-good decisions when I went grocery shopping last week so I have been going over my calorie goals every day. I can't afford to NOT eat what I buy, so I have been trying to get rid of it before this week started. I learned that pasta is just a vast wasteland of empty calories and that shrimp, while delicious, are too expensive to make up the bulk of protein needed in one meal. Live and learn right? The good news is, all the bad food I bought is gone and I get to start over this week.

I had major issues this week keeping track of my food and getting enough sleep. I missed three days for both (boo!). This week I am setting an alarm to go off at 10 so I will get off of the computer (and more importantly, turn it OFF) and start getting ready for bed. It is way too easy for me to stay up late when the computer is on. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up reading real books again! I do need to finish Ender's Game so my family doesn't consider me a failure as a nerd. :P

I had family in from out of town this week so I had to alter my workout days a little. I started doing prisoner squats and those have been fun. I officially have found all the spare change in my apartment and have added that to my toolbox for the "dumbbell" rows. I REALLY need to eat the tuna though. My allergies have been getting progressively worse and it's at the point where I have to very careful not to trigger my asthma. It sucks having allergy AND work- induced asthma. I can keep it under control okay when I exercise but if my allergies trigger it, there's absolutely no way I can exercise, let alone function. It was a major struggle to finish just one set yesterday and I cut the jumping jacks down to 10 just to make sure I didn't have any problems. I really don't want to miss any workouts, but I don't want to have any attacks more. Even more reason to watch what I eat this week!

I tried to get more information from my sister for my secret challenge but master interrogator I am not. Obviously I will have to change tactics and just ask "Have you made any progress?" to get the answers I want. Maybe no one is making progress and that is why no one mentions it??

End of Week 4 Weight: 248 (-6 total)

Kudos for sticking with it! I hear you on shrimp, I wish I could afford to eat them more. Keep pushing, you'll get through this. I'll try to think of what cheap protein I buy.

I usually go with chicken or fish (although raw chicken is the grossest thing ever). Every once in a while I'll get pork chops or ground beef, but it's only when there's a buy-one-get-two-free deal at the grocery store. If I'm running low on food and shopping isn't an option, I'll have a peanut butter sandwich. It's not the best choice but so far it's what I've got. Hopefully as I keep poking around the site, I will find better options!