First Challenge - Wndrwmn009

Main Quest: Lose weight while sticking with a consistent workout plan.

I have gone through cycles where I will workout, but it is something that I need to make a habit. Sticking to a workout plan for 6 weeks will help me build good habits. While I am about 4-5 lbs away from my 1st prepregnancy weight (which I never even came close to seeing until after having my 2nd child), my body is not what it use to be. I want to look better (and be stronger and healthier) than I did before having kids and I know it is possible but is going to take work. I do pretty well following a primal diet and now just need to add in consistent exercise.

Missions:

• Complete the Beginner Body Weight Workout 3 days a week (M/W/F) and while on vacation, if not completing the BBWW, be active at least 3 days for at least 30 minutes.
  • I will take a 30 minute walk or bike ride 2-3 of the remaining days I am not doing the BBWW.
  • Take the time in the morning to eat breakfast.

Bonus Quests:

To read more! I would like to read at least 3 books during the challenge period. Spending my days with a 4 year old and 1 year old I feel as though my brain is going to mush (keeping up with my figure  :playful:)

Motivation:

I want to feel better about myself, be more comfortable in my skin (and my clothes). I want to like what I see in the mirror and know that I worked and earned the body that I have, not just let my body happen to me. I also want to look better for my husband. And most importantly I want to develop healthy habits so I can not only teach my kids how to be fit and healthy but show them by example.

Starting Stats:

Weight: 159lbs

Height: 5' 5.75"

First Challenge|Current Challenge|Battle Log|myfitnesspal

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.

The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa,

the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

Hey there! I too struggle with consistency! I have yet to find any life hack that really clinches it for me. I schedule in my workouts, I set my alarm across the room, I sleep in my work out clothes... Yet still manage to skip out on my workout plans! If you need some help with accountability, let me know. I could use some accountability myself... Anyway, good luck :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am fortunate to not only have the support here, but my husband going through the challenge as well!

Okay so long overdue for an update! What was suppose to be a one week vacation turned into a two week vacation. The kids and I spent one week with my in-laws on a lake in northern Wisconsin. We had about a day and a half home before the kids and I head to my best friend's house for another five and a half days.

Before we left I was doing well with the BBWW. I started out unable to do any regular push-ups and am now able to do regular push-ups for all three sets (the last couple in each set are difficult still, but I am able to power through. I started the challenge doing dumbbell rows but I only have a set of weights in case that is just over 20lbs (2-5lbs, 2-3lbs, 2-2lbs, plus whatever the weight of the case is), but that quickly became too easy so I switched to inverted rows. The inverted rows are still quite difficult (I am only able to do them with my feet on the ground) but I have faith that if I stick with it eventually I will be able to do them the regular way and then be able to do actual pull-ups! I am quite proud of my planks! I feel like i have good form and have a challenge best of 91 seconds. Right now my goal is to get a 3 minute plank and the re-evaluate when I reach that goal.

So back to my two vacations. My food options were really dismal. I primarily follow a primal diet and that was totally not happening. So from eating so poorly for two weeks I have found that my joints are screaming at me. My hips hurt, my knees hurt, I also have a spot on my ankle that feels like I twisted it (I haven't). Another symptom of my poor diet would be my blood suger being all over the place. I get ravenously hungry quick and become quite shaky. Future trips I need to formulate a plan to stick to the diet that my makes my body happy and not scream in pain at me.

For the trip to northern Wisconsin I was able to do two days of the BBWW (minus dumbbell rows or inverted rows due to lack of equipment). For a third workout that week we drove out to Lake Superior and visited some nearby waterfalls. Walking around to get to the different view spots of the falls was quite the hike (especially carrying a 25lb child and a diaper bag). By the end of the half hour hike or so my heart rate was up, I was sweating and my legs were burning. I returned home on Saturday the 17th I did a full BBWW. We ended up leaving for vacation #2 (this one was not planned until a couple days prior to leaving) to my best friend's place on the following Monday evening, but I did my BBWW before we left. I got in another BBWW (minus dumbbell rows & inverted rows again due to lack of equipment) and even got my friend to do some of the workout with me (she had to cut it short to pick up her son from school). I also spent a fair amount of time chasing after my two kids and my bestie's two kids (four kids under 5 yikes!). So though it was a vacation it was exhausting in its own right. We got back home yesterday afternoon and I did my BBWW last night despite really lacking any motivation and being quite tired.

I feel like for the most part I have been quite solid with the workouts and have gotten to the point where I want to push myself further (though many of the exercises are still difficult). I can't decide if I should be adding more reps to each exercise and keep 3 sets or just add another full set. I am also interested in adding in more weights. I have access to dumbbells up to 50lbs I believe, but I am not sure what kinds of workout I should be doing with those. Any opinions, advice, resources that any of you might think is helpful please send it my way.

Prior to being on the road for a couple of weeks, I was doing great walking to the park with the kids and getting in family bike rides. So I was getting my butt moving on the days that I wasn't completing the BBWW. This is something I need to make sure that I stay on top of. This week is suppose to be pretty warm and there may even be a heat advisory, so I will do what I can (maybe, I can get into our fitness center and even walk on the treadmill or go for a swim).

As far as my goal to read 3 books during the challenge, I have dropped the ball. I haven't complete a single book at this time, but I still have a couple of weeks and am sure that I can complete this task.

Anyway I guess that was a recap of my challenge thus far. I think for my next challenge I need to set some goals that are a little more out of my comfort zone. This is a good first challenge, but I know that I can stretch my self further and come up with something that test my willpower a bit more.

Hey there!

Met your husband here and think he's an awesomely funny guy! Wanted to drop in and congratulate you on doing such a wonderful job with him, lol! :D

I think it is a most awesome thing you are joining him. Hats off to you truly!

Consider me a friend and lurker!! ;) We have got a lot in common too. I can never do enough reading AND I got 6 kiddos myself (youngest are 4 & 2).

Will be looking forward to seeing your progress!!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Proud of you for taking part in the challenge. I think you've handled the travel obstacles as best you could. Thanks for the support!

Thanks! You are killing the challenge, I am so proud of you making this a priority not only for your own benefit but for the benefit of our kids. We are on our way to making good habits that we can teach them!

Hey there!

Met your husband here and think he's an awesomely funny guy! Wanted to drop in and congratulate you on doing such a wonderful job with him, lol! :D

I think it is a most awesome thing you are joining him. Hats off to you truly!

Consider me a friend and lurker!! ;) We have got a lot in common too. I can never do enough reading AND I got 6 kiddos myself (youngest are 4 & 2).

Will be looking forward to seeing your progress!!

Hey thanks for lurking and support! I will try and keep up with the updates more than I have in the past (my children suddenly need my attention as soon as my fingers hit the keyboard and for one of them it equates to a fierce tantrum).

I haven't had a chance to read through your whole page, but the little that I have read it seems you are killing this challenge and overcoming obstacles like a champ! Congrats to you!! And wow 6 kids, I feel maxed out with 2, so hats off to you embarking on this journey and raising 6 kids!

Workout Update:

Well I am back to working out at home. I waited until the kiddos were in bed to start my workout. My overall time took a while to complete (longer than normal) because my darling son is a night owl and constantly was getting out of bed requiring me to stop every 5 minutes or so. But alas it was completed. The past couple of workouts have been a struggle and I think it is mostly due to my diet the past couple of weeks. But I completed all tasks. My planks were decent at 74/63/61 seconds. Not too shabby but there was a little snafu. I completed what was my first plank went to stop my stop watch and realized that I had never started it, so technically I did 4 planks. I think had I not made that mistake my times would have been better. No biggie though, I just wish I knew how long that first plank actually was.

My son is quite interested in working out when we do (if he is awake when we do it). It is simultaneously adorable and annoying. I love that he is showing interest and attempting the exercises along with taking direction from us, but we don't workout in the biggest space and he seems to lack the understanding that some personal space is needed. But hey he is 4 being simultaneously adorable and annoying is kinda of a specialty at that age!

Trying to figure out how to get some movement in today. We are under a heat advisory and my kids both overheat pretty easily so I don't really want to be outside for various reasons. I think my "exercise" today will involve some deep cleaning. Stairs that are in desperate need of vacuuming and spot removal are calling my name and that always ends up being quite the workout.

Hope you all are having a great day and are attacking your goals head on! Keep up the hard work!

Doing great!  Vacations are a must.  Yours sounds kind of amazing.  I would love upper Wisconsin this time of year.  I am baking in the desert.  Back in your routine, time to go after those goals!  Keep up the good work!

Yes northern Wisconsin was beautiful!! I grew up in southern California so I totally understand the baking in the desert (so many people just think it is just a beach, but head inland and it is hot and dry!)

Thanks for the kind words and support!

I'm currently in Northern(ish) WI and it is muggy and mid 90's. Screw this noise. I'm closer to Minnesota than I am to where I live, WHY SO HOT WISCONSIN?!?

No excuses for workout interruptions. Tell your kid that you'll burn his stuffed animals if he bothers you again. Hard line.

Seriously it is so hot in this plant right now.

Great job on the first untimed plank. That happened to me once, so now I get ready, hit start, and then pop up into form. It also helps me get up into the plank quicker, as the clock is already ticking tenths away.

Hey thanks for lurking and support! I will try and keep up with the updates more than I have in the past (my children suddenly need my attention as soon as my fingers hit the keyboard and for one of them it equates to a fierce tantrum).

I haven't had a chance to read through your whole page, but the little that I have read it seems you are killing this challenge and overcoming obstacles like a champ! Congrats to you!! And wow 6 kids, I feel maxed out with 2, so hats off to you embarking on this journey and raising 6 kids!

Workout Update:

Well I am back to working out at home. I waited until the kiddos were in bed to start my workout. My overall time took a while to complete (longer than normal) because my darling son is a night owl and constantly was getting out of bed requiring me to stop every 5 minutes or so. But alas it was completed. The past couple of workouts have been a struggle and I think it is mostly due to my diet the past couple of weeks. But I completed all tasks. My planks were decent at 74/63/61 seconds. Not too shabby but there was a little snafu. I completed what was my first plank went to stop my stop watch and realized that I had never started it, so technically I did 4 planks. I think had I not made that mistake my times would have been better. No biggie though, I just wish I knew how long that first plank actually was.

My son is quite interested in working out when we do (if he is awake when we do it). It is simultaneously adorable and annoying. I love that he is showing interest and attempting the exercises along with taking direction from us, but we don't workout in the biggest space and he seems to lack the understanding that some personal space is needed. But hey he is 4 being simultaneously adorable and annoying is kinda of a specialty at that age!

Trying to figure out how to get some movement in today. We are under a heat advisory and my kids both overheat pretty easily so I don't really want to be outside for various reasons. I think my "exercise" today will involve some deep cleaning. Stairs that are in desperate need of vacuuming and spot removal are calling my name and that always ends up being quite the workout.

Hope you all are having a great day and are attacking your goals head on! Keep up the hard work!

Yep, the only real time I have is if they are eating, lol.

Thank you muches! :redface:

Yeah, I found that I have to get up in the morning as mine have ALL been night owls as well. Comes from the hubs- he could stay up dill dawn easily. :nonchalance:

LOL, my Ella is 4 (pic on my thread) and she is EXACTLY like that. :D

And, I shall now grace you with your first happy Dance from me!

:triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

Awesome momma workout!!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

I love love love LOVE that you and your husband are doing this together. You'll be great reinforcements for all the healthy lifestyle changes you're putting into effect. I have such tremendous respect for anybody who maintains a commitment to their healthy lifestyle while raising children at the same time. It just blows my mind. So kudos to you both.

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Yes, me, too!  Staying consistent has always been my downfall!  Recording what I do every day & week has helped me to stay on track and making it a new part of my life.  And adding the weightlifting component for this challenge has made working out quite addicting.  I wanna lift heavy stuff!  Rawr!

It's really cool to see you and your hubby are making the lifestyle changes together!  Rawr!  And setting great examples for your kids.  Not only you are making workout fun for both of you, you show THIS IS what you do for your kids!  Yay for Super Wife! ^_^

Good luck and have fun!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Congrats on your progress and finding a way to work around your children's habits. LOL I could never work out at home b/c of our 3 cats. They are fun but like to "help" a bit too much.

I also think its so awesome that you and hubby are doing this together. What better support could there be?

Keep up the awesome work!

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Any updates?  My style is somewhere between annoying pest and pushy noodge, so please take no offense.  Hope all is well.

Here's some motivation for you:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-1761951078/kenny_loggins_danger_zone_official_music_video/

If I had hair, Kenny would definitely be one of my main inspirations for styling said fictitious hair.

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

I'll be pushier than forkboy, well, because I'm a mom and used to it- Update-Update-Update!! :D

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Congrats on your progress and finding a way to work around your children's habits. LOL I could never work out at home b/c of our 3 cats. They are fun but like to "help" a bit too much.

I also think its so awesome that you and hubby are doing this together. What better support could there be?

Keep up the awesome work!

thanks so much for the kind words! We also have two cats, fortunately if the kids are bothering me that means the cat's are somewhere far, far away from the children.

I love love love LOVE that you and your husband are doing this together. You'll be great reinforcements for all the healthy lifestyle changes you're putting into effect. I have such tremendous respect for anybody who maintains a commitment to their healthy lifestyle while raising children at the same time. It just blows my mind. So kudos to you both.

Yes, me, too!  Staying consistent has always been my downfall!  Recording what I do every day & week has helped me to stay on track and making it a new part of my life.  And adding the weightlifting component for this challenge has made working out quite addicting.  I wanna lift heavy stuff!  Rawr!

It's really cool to see you and your hubby are making the lifestyle changes together!  Rawr!  And setting great examples for your kids.  Not only you are making workout fun for both of you, you show THIS IS what you do for your kids!  Yay for Super Wife! ^_^

Good luck and have fun!  Rawr!

Thanks to you both! It really does help me stay on track better with working out having the push and support from the hubs. I love that my son is interested in doing the exercises too. He particularly likes doing the lunges and the jumping jacks (though his coordination is pretty terrible, but alas he is 4). My daughter (17 months old) started mimicking squats (pretty accurately, though young kids seem to be able to squat for minutes with no support) today as well. Overall pretty stinking cute!

I'll be pushier than forkboy, well, because I'm a mom and used to it- Update-Update-Update!! :D

Any updates?  My style is somewhere between annoying pest and pushy noodge, so please take no offense.  Hope all is well.

Here's some motivation for you:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-1761951078/kenny_loggins_danger_zone_official_music_video/

If I had hair, Kenny would definitely be one of my main inspirations for styling said fictitious hair.

I know I am slacking on the updates, so the nagging/nudging/pestering to update is welcome. Last night I was in bed by 8:45 and read for about 45 minutes and then was out. I really need to make that more of a habit, but somehow I feel like I am cheating myself of me time or adult time by going to bed shortly after the kids. But I actually woke up before both my kids and before the hubs alarm went off for work. Then today I busted my butt cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry (ALL DAY), vacuuming, working out, cooking dinner, and shampooing the carpets. Quite a productive day! So I guess call those my excuses for not updating.

Update:

So not gonna lie, this week I have been slacking majorly on getting extra movement in on my non-BBWW days. It has been pretty f'ing hot, the hubs has been traveling a fair amount, and I have just been slacking. However I have completed 1 book out of my 3 that I am aiming to read during the challenge. So I have 1 week to read 2 more books. Totally doable I think.

Wednesday's schedule was a bit strange. My son had his open house for school, this is his first year in school and he could not be more excited. So after the hubs got home from work we went to that came home, I made dinner, did my workout then ate said dinner. Not really the norm for me, but because we were home and eating much later than we normally would I knew that if I ate before I worked out I would have to wait a bit to complete the workout. And lets face it, If I had to wait until 9 or later to do my workout I believe I would not have given full effort. So workout was done, I am doing pretty solid on everything except for the inverted rows, they are still very challenging. My planks were pretty good 91/64/64 seconds. I feel I am at a point where I am not getting better and even feel like I am back stepping somehow. I think I am just having an off week, we shall blame it on the heat.

On to today's workout, which again I really wasn't feeling. I was already sweaty and a bit tired from the vacuuming and whatnot, but we got our work out in early (which is always nice on a Friday). I finished my 3 sets relatively easily enough and my live in workout buddy (AKA husband) urged me to do a 4th set, so I did. I am glad I did, it was more challenging and I just wanted to be done, but one more set really didn't take that much longer and I was able to complete all the reps for each exercise. So my workout looked something like this:

Squats:            20/20/20/20 (Prisoner)

Push-ups:        10/10/10/10 These were all regular, pretty proud of myself. I made it a personal goal of mine to be able to do 10 regular push-ups and I can actually

complete 4 sets of 10 regular push-ups.

Lunges:            20/20/20/20

Inverted Rows: 10/10/10/10 (assisted)

Planks:             50/64/60/60 Planks were a real struggle tonight. My first one was interrupted by my darling daughter who thought she would come say hi and pet

my hair. The rest of them took all the effort I could muster to get the times I got. Not totally sure what is going on with that, but I don't          like it and hope that next week my game is back on. I like to at least get one plank that is 75 or more seconds.

Jumping Jacks: 30/30/30/30

I am not really seeing any movement in the scale and actually about a week and a half into the challenge we got a new scale so I "gained weight" from that switch and have stayed relatively the same. I know weight is not the best indicator of change happening, but it is one of those numbers that is somehow when it get smaller we feel a bit better about ourselves. I decided to measure one of my thighs and compare it to the measurements I took a several weeks ago and I had lost about 2" I believe. It was that and my husband telling me I feel skinnier that has helped with motivation to keep up even when I really don't want to.

Not sure what is on the agenda for the weekend but I am hoping it is cool enough that we can take a bike ride at least once! I know my favorite season is on it's way (fall) bringing cooler temperatures and more opportunities for comfortable bike rides with the family. And I can't forget that fall means football season (which is technically already here, yay week one of college ball!)

Hey there!

Glad you made it on, because honestly, this is what helps me stay motivated. You and your husband and my other friends here putting in the effort to do more with themselves despite the challenges of life. So KUDOS to you on that alone! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

And I get what your saying on the scale, whether we want to or not we do want to see the difference. But, those two inches and that wonderful compliment from your husband are true gold! So please don't let yourself get bothered with that machine. Being a healthier, better mom is of far more value. IMO ^_^

And yes dear lady you deserve an award for doing what you do for your family and STILL making the time to get that workout in! You have my heartfelt respect.

images_zps11871ea4.jpeg

And I am soooooo a Fall girl too, lol!! ^_^

Take care of yourself and have an awesome weekend with the family!

hugs from Ash

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hey there!

Glad you made it on, because honestly, this is what helps me stay motivated. You and your husband and my other friends here putting in the effort to do more with themselves despite the challenges of life. So KUDOS to you on that alone! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

And I get what your saying on the scale, whether we want to or not we do want to see the difference. But, those two inches and that wonderful compliment from your husband are true gold! So please don't let yourself get bothered with that machine. Being a healthier, better mom is of far more value. IMO ^_^

I am glad that I can help be a motivator for you, you really are doing a phenomenal job at sticking to your goals and inspiring others here and in your home!

I think that it really sucks what the scale says has become such an important part of our lives/motivation/stress/discouragement (especially as women). The media has really done young girls a disservice in forming opinions on what is beautiful. Instead of focusing on healthy we are urged to focus on appearance. Appearance should take a backseat to getting healthy and strong. I struggle with this every day and hope that I can empower my daughter take her healthy and strength seriously and not give in to what society tells us.

I think that it really sucks what the scale says has become such an important part of our lives/motivation/stress/discouragement (especially as women). The media has really done young girls a disservice in forming opinions on what is beautiful. Instead of focusing on healthy we are urged to focus on appearance. Appearance should take a backseat to getting healthy and strong. I struggle with this every day and hope that I can empower my daughter take her healthy and strength seriously and not give in to what society tells us.

Man, do I ever agree. I want and try to be a positive influence on Jess, but I am quickly learning that as a teenage girl she is still influenced by what she sees through the media (computer, tv and such). :rolleyes:

It's truly scary and I have two more to go through this! :nightmare:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Not sure what is on the agenda for the weekend but I am hoping it is cool enough that we can take a bike ride at least once! I know my favorite season is on it's way (fall) bringing cooler temperatures and more opportunities for comfortable bike rides with the family. And I can't forget that fall means football season (which is technically already here, yay week one of college ball!

We were just having a "debate" in my family today about the "best season."  I am a huge fan of fall.  I was the only one.  Everyone else opted for spring of summer.  Fall just can't be beat in my book.  I love football, Baseball playoffs.  A new school year.  Pumpkins.  Crisp air.  Cool mornings in the desert.  Cider.  Pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks.  Egg nog.  Chess by a fire.  Picking pumpkins, hay rides, and corn mazes.  Halloween.  Thanksgiving.  Apples.  Man, I love fall and I can't wait for it to get here.  It comes a little later in my neck of the woods so I have another month to wait, but I am super stocked about it.  Hope you're having a great weekend!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines