• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Loki

Loki's Still up to No Good

Well met, returning friends! The first challenge went well, so I'm back for another round!

MAIN QUEST: Avoid that whole "Bound to a rock by son's entrails while a snake drips acid venom on forehead until escaping and starting Ragnarok" thing. I'm going to interpret this metaphor as "control and surmount self-damaging impulses so I don't end up tormented until I can no longer take it and cause the end of the world"

1) Pants Off Dance Off REDUX

This one worked well for me last challenge, so I’m repeating it. The goal is to go down a jean size.
Plan: Since weight loss is mostly diet, I'm using this as the nutritional part of my goals. So, proof of diet compliance/metric will be me dropping one pants size (only one because I'm counting a full win as a comfortable fit not just being able to zip the pants, because women's plus sizes scale multiple inches smaller when you go down a size, and because of the way I lose weight--stomach and waist first, hips and thighs last--causes me to lose pants sizes the slowest).
I will continue my low carb diet of mostly veggies, lean meats, and occasional limited fruit and cheese. Additionally, I will post sporadic diet essays.
Points: CON 2 (improved health from diet), CHA 2 (looking better)

Main Quest Tie-in: Control impulses to over or under-eat and instead reap the health benefits of treating food as fuel and not punishment.

2) 100 Miles to Asgard
Throughout the challenge, I will log 100 miles. These miles will come from any combination of running, treadmills, elliptical, biking, exercise bikes, walking, skipping, swimming.
Plan: Still working on the plan. It comes out to a little more than two miles a day though, which is very reasonable.

Grade based on how many miles logged (90-100+ is A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D)

Main Quest Tie-in: Cardiovascular and motivational improvement; use endorphins to bolster mood and self-worth. Overcoming self-destructive laziness that leads to poor health.

3) Scale Hrimthrus’s Wall
This is a flat out reverse of my jumping challenge from last time. I will climb up my front yard retaining wall rather than walking up the stairs like a normal person.

Plan: I’ll work my way up to climbing from the ground straight instead of walking up any stairs at all. I will do regular upper body strength training to pull myself up, and will incorporate yoga for flexibility and coordination.
Grade based on where I climb from; 5 stairs, so each one will be a different grade A-F.

Main Quest Tie-in: I've always told myself I was too weak and clumsy to climb. Now I'm telling myself to try. I will counter this defeatism and gain a sense of accomplishment.

Life Goal) Modesty’s for Mortals!
I’m horrible at accepting compliments and am far too self-deprecating. It’s a strange combination of defense mechanism and punishment, and it doesn’t do anyone any good.

Plan: Make a point of responding to compliments with “thank you†instead of nonsense deflections and self-insults. Additionally, I must acknowledge one thing about myself that I like each day. Haha, self-hatred that that!
Grade is based on percentage of days I give a compliment (90-100+ is A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D) and I’m still working on how to grade responding to compliments from others.

Main Quest Tie-in: Flat out confronting self-destructive thought patterns. 

Points up for grabs:
STR - 2
DEX - 2
STA - 4
CON - 2
WIS - 3
CHA - 2

Stats as of the end of last challenge:

Gender/Age/Height: F/mid-twenties/5'8"

Chest: 51"

Underbust: 37"

Waist: 35" 

Hips: 52" 

(Inches lost last challenge: 8; for progress picture see first challenge thread in my signature)

Thanks for reading and good luck on your own goals!

DAY 1 REPORT:

I spent more time today doing last minute "housekeeping" to get chores and obligations that might distract from the challenge out of the way. Sadly, this means I'm already behind on the 100 miles challenge (however, not getting at least a walk in is very abnormal for me, so with my increase in cardio I'm sure I'll be able to make it up).

The same goes for the wall challenge as far as the wall proper, though I did do my regular upper body weight routine (bent over dumbbell rows, skullcrushers, bench press, shoulder press). By all means, please critique and advise if other upper body strength building exercises will better help with this goal. On the coordination front, I didn't start yoga proper today, but I did do some stretches I remembered from various childhood sports. 

No one complimented me today (that I can remember), so I didn't have to worry about deflecting there! And my compliment (or maybe I should just call it a positive self-thought?) for myself for the day is: I have remarkably healthy hair.

On the weight-loss challenge front, I've been working on analyzing my behavior as I've been struggling to drink enough water. I'm going to, temporarily, set a mini-goal of drinking my 32oz water bottle by 2pm, refilling and drinking completely. Hopefully the pacing aspect of it will help keep me in line.

Overall, I'm not rocketing off to an amazing start, but it's pretty solid at least. Now to go see about accountabilibuddies... 

Welcome back!  Great new goals as well!  I think a lot of people are having a bit more fun with their challenges this time round.

For the 100 mile goal, are you tracking your normal walking say around the house or out and about?  It might not be 2 miles, but you would have a good fraction to start with :)

I dig the climbing goal.  I am also focusing my weight training for pull ups and been trying to find some good upper body exercises - so far the NF How to do a pull up seems like a good start: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/.  If I find anything else, I will share the knowledge.

Very cool idea on the life goal.  I'm sure that now you back at NF, you'll have plenty of practice of accepting compliments

Best of luck and I look forward to your updates!

Hi  Loki! Sounds like an interesting challenge I might have to take up the wall climb challenge at some point being at 5'1" A lot of things are taller then me and I give up (probably) too easily and have transitioned into not climbing at all. I Also LOVE your Life goal. I'm not the best at accepting compliments either. I have a boyfriend who compliments me ALL the time. Now I'm not complaining about that but Its hard for me to just say thank you, instead I usually Ask why. "Why do you think I'm cute? Why do you think I'm <insert compliment here>?" I dont even know if I actually expect an answer.. And when I do manage to say thank you It feels super weird. But I've gotten better at it though over the past year or two, and stopped the self depreciating comments. So YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Goal 1) diet still solid, met my water minimum!

Goal 2) logged 2.5 miles walking today, total score 2.5/100

Goal 3) didn't do weights or yoga, but did climb up the wall from the "C" stair. Hopefully I'll get the next one soon.

Life goal) compliment of the day: I write excellent to-do lists.

Welcome back!  Great new goals as well!  I think a lot of people are having a bit more fun with their challenges this time round.

For the 100 mile goal, are you tracking your normal walking say around the house or out and about?  It might not be 2 miles, but you would have a good fraction to start with :)

I dig the climbing goal.  I am also focusing my weight training for pull ups and been trying to find some good upper body exercises - so far the NF How to do a pull up seems like a good start: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/.  If I find anything else, I will share the knowledge.

Very cool idea on the life goal.  I'm sure that now you back at NF, you'll have plenty of practice of accepting compliments

Best of luck and I look forward to your updates!

I'm not counting incidental walking around the house because there's no reliable way to track it (my gait isn't bouncy enough to register consistently on pedometers). Besides, I like the idea of ever single one of the one hundred miles being purposeful.

And thanks for the pull up link. I have avoided pull ups my whole life as my upper body has always been weak compared to my legs. It was just something I always mentally assigned to the "I'll never be able to do that" file. I probably won't be able to do one for a long while yet, but I'm going to work in that direction! Maybe one day...

Great idea for the life goal, this is a hard one but I know you will succeed. :)

Thanks for the kind words! It's tough, but I figure the mindset adjustment will have major impact in lots of unexpected areas.

Hi  Loki! Sounds like an interesting challenge I might have to take up the wall climb challenge at some point being at 5'1" A lot of things are taller then me and I give up (probably) too easily and have transitioned into not climbing at all. I Also LOVE your Life goal. I'm not the best at accepting compliments either. I have a boyfriend who compliments me ALL the time. Now I'm not complaining about that but Its hard for me to just say thank you, instead I usually Ask why. "Why do you think I'm cute? Why do you think I'm <insert compliment here>?" I dont even know if I actually expect an answer.. And when I do manage to say thank you It feels super weird. But I've gotten better at it though over the past year or two, and stopped the self depreciating comments. So YOU CAN DO IT!

I know what you mean about asking why! That, prior to this challenge, was one of my nicer responses. I used to just flat out insult myself instead of graciously accepting a compliment. And maybe if you find shorter walls/obstacles to build your way up it will help. Even though I'm tall, I'm starting off on shorter heights specifically so I won't get discouraged.

Pretty good day.

Goal One: didn't do as well as yesterday on hydration, but did meet my minimum. Also, while at the grocery store I found buffalo meat and, as it is the only thing one can do when confronted with buffalo meat, pretended to eat dinner on the Oregon Trail.

Goal Two: 3 miles, 5.5/100

Goal Three: did my weight lifting, but I think I'm going to go to slightly lower weights temporarily to correct my form.

Life Goal: barely caught myself and was able to prevent myself from responding to a compliment with a self-insult (resisted even though it was a Really Funny insult). Speaking of, compliment du jour is that I'm a very witty person.

I really like your goals. going down in pants size is also partially one of my goals and I seem to have the same problem as you with dropping inches off my legs. What I notice helped a lot is squats and lunges. my weight as such didn't move but I changed some of the fat into muscle which took some inches off my behind. i'm sure it will work for you too.

Goal 1) hydration adequate; made a point of eating breakfast today (I usually skip it) and it made drinking enough easier, and also I got less hungry as the day went on. I played with cooking tonight--fresh herbs and purple potatoes.

Goal 2) it was too rainy rainy today to do much, so only a mile. 6.5/100.

Goal 3) the rain prevented me from trying out any climbing. I didn't lift weights but I did help move furniture, tackling the heaviest piece myself, so that should count for strength training.

Goal 4) accepted a compliment in a way that I hope was gracious and nonchalant. Compliment of the day: I'm good at lifting and carrying things.

Today wasn't a total waste from rain; I took advantage of it to get more work done, both work-work and around the house.

I like your life goal. People aren't nice enough to themselves.

Can't wait to see how you do.

Thanks! I have to say being nice to myself is so incredibly weird. I'm hoping that by the end of the challenge, the habit will be so set in stone that I won't have to consciously do it!

I really like your goals. going down in pants size is also partially one of my goals and I seem to have the same problem as you with dropping inches off my legs. What I notice helped a lot is squats and lunges. my weight as such didn't move but I changed some of the fat into muscle which took some inches off my behind. i'm sure it will work for you too.

I used to do a ton of squats and lunges, but then a knee injury followed by pregnancy (plus recovery) completely screwed up my balance. I haven't really tried them much for fear of either falling over or looking stupid for not going deep enough. Your encouragement is helping me overcome that, though! Anything to drop a pants size! Good luck with it yourself!

Dinner sounds tasty haha.  And sounds like you did very well for a rainy day.  And I think furniture lifting/moving definitely counts :)

Keep up the good work!

It definitely was one of my better rainy days; as always, thanks for the support!

In other news...

Awarded myself the 1 CHA and 1 WIS for completing the mini challenges. I'll make a bigger post tonight after working out. Man, I need to find a lot more entertainment for my 100 mile goal. I get bored too quickly.

Diet) Not good today. I ate very healthfully for breakfast and lunch, but neglected to consume enough calories--lead to a terrible attack of cake craving. Just one slice, but it wasn't worth it. Sluggish and mentally foggy from the sugar.

100 Miles Goal) Lots of less than pleasant surprises needed to be dealt with, so by the time I finally got a chance to go for a walk/jog it was so dark that I could only do a mile. 7.5/100. I need to get a routine going, of doing 3 miles a day, if I'm going to have any hope of meeting this goal. To be honest, I think I'm avoiding running because I'm afraid to see how far I've been set back. Before my knee injury, I ran a few times a week and worked hard to get to an 8 minute mile--a big deal for me, I've never been a fast runner over longer distances than a sprint in a sporting event. I don't want to be confronted with how much I've lost. I guess I need to just suck it up and start over.

Climbing Goal) I'm revising this one. It wasn't graceful in the least (lots of flailing and other undignified postures), but I completed the goal today. So, I've decided that what was an A grade is now a C, and am using two other walls on my property to be the B grade and the A grade. Hopefully I'll get a chance to measure them this weekend so I can update my challenge with specific information.

Life Goal) Today was a really rough day. A lot of stress and frustration. I had to force myself to be upbeat and cheerful, which is tiring by itself. Well, still need a daily compliment so: I am generous with my time.

All in all: a day that started with promise and ended in flames!

Sounds like you are doing good so far.  Nice Job.  One bad diet day.  You can bounce back from that tomorrow :)  Good luck this challenge!

Thanks, Tateman! As you predicted, I bounced back indeed.

Diet) I didn't track my hydration, but I think (after a slow start of not drinking enough earlier in the day) I did ok. Food wise I did very well, even in situations where I didn't control menu.

100 Miles) Got five miles done and had a great time doing it. 12.5/100

Climbing) No progress on it today, simply ran out of time.

Life Goal) I was so busy today that I didn't even have the time/energy left over to hate myself! Compliment of the day: I have impeccable hygiene. (Hey, that's something to be proud of, right?)

"control and surmount self-damaging impulses so I don't end up tormented until I can no longer take it and cause the end of the world"--- this is a fantastic and awesome goal. A lot of your challenge goals and strategies really speak to me, especially the inability to accept compliments. I wish you great success.

Today was a good day in terms of enjoyability, but mixed as far as goals go.

Diet) Decent but could have been better, completely blew it on hydration though. When surrounded by people who don't drink enough, I blend and deprive myself. But now I'm aware of it and will be better prepared.

100 Miles) 6, bringing me to 18.5/100. I'm finding most of my miles are walking. While that's fine for the sake of the challenge, for myself I want to start pushing the equation more in favor of running.

Climbing) Nope.

Life Goal) Got a lot of compliments on my weight loss, and responded with "really?" reflexively, instead of "thanks." Luckily, I caught myself on the confirmation of "yeah really" and was able to accept. And self-compliment of the day: I'm an excellent driver.

"control and surmount self-damaging impulses so I don't end up tormented until I can no longer take it and cause the end of the world"--- this is a fantastic and awesome goal. A lot of your challenge goals and strategies really speak to me, especially the inability to accept compliments. I wish you great success.

It really seems like people, women especially, are trained specifically not to accept compliments. I wish I could figure out how this message gets sent, and why it does, so I could find the magic bullet cure. Thank you for the kind wishes!

Good hygiene is a very good trait to have; your closest friend and a complete stranger will both appreciate it equally. :P

Honestly, I never understood bad hygiene, as Acts of Hygiene are fun if you're doing it right!

Congrats on the 18miles.  I know said you wanted more of it to be running, but that is an awesome start!

And with the water goal, I have gotten into the habit of bringing a couple water bottles with me to most events at friend's houses which has helped keep up my water intake.

Good luck on Week 2!

congrats on your progress this week. I read somewhere that water is super important for weight loss not only because it suppresses hunger and keeps you healthy but also because if you drink it with plenty of ice your body has to heat it up at the same time burning some extra calories. Maybe this will give you some extra motivation :D It would be great to see this wall you are climbing. pics maybe? :D

A really good day today!

Diet) Solid leaning towards great on the food front, and by far this was my best hydration day. My lifts were easier and my endurance sturdier. Everyone should take care to drink a ton of water! It's revolutionary!

100 Miles) As I said yesterday, I want more of my miles to be running. To ease myself back into it (and because my workout time was limited today), I did one mile on an elliptical--fat burner setting, 12 minutes (I have no idea how elliptical speeds translate, if anyone knows share your information). My other mile was walking. So, adding the 2, I currently stand at. Just over 1/5th of the way to my goal! 20.5/100

Climbing) I slowed down my weight routine and used lower weights to refresh my technique. 3x5 bent over dumbbell rows, 45lbs; 3x5 dumbbell shoulder presses with 20lb weights; 3x5 25lb skullcrushers.

Life Goal) Compliment of the day: I have an awesome if situationally-hilarious vocabulary.

Congrats on the 18miles.  I know said you wanted more of it to be running, but that is an awesome start!

And with the water goal, I have gotten into the habit of bringing a couple water bottles with me to most events at friend's houses which has helped keep up my water intake.

Good luck on Week 2!

That water bottle idea is simple yet brilliant! I'll have to try to remember it. Thanks for the tip and for the encouragement on my mileage goal!

congrats on your progress this week. I read somewhere that water is super important for weight loss not only because it suppresses hunger and keeps you healthy but also because if you drink it with plenty of ice your body has to heat it up at the same time burning some extra calories. Maybe this will give you some extra motivation :D It would be great to see this wall you are climbing. pics maybe? :D

Thanks! Yeah, today I was surprised at how much of a difference hydration made. And it kind of makes sense that if you were dehydrated your body would receive more crisis signals, produce more cortisol, hold on to weight more, and all that jazz. I'll keep your thoughts and wisdom in mind when I'm struggling to drink enough!

Hopefully I'll have some wall pictures later this week. I will definitely measure the next time I get a chance, so I can at least provide a scaled diagram!

Love the progress with the goals. I agree with women trained not to accept compliments, what's even worse is when perfectly nice people insult themselves even jokingly.

I know what you mean! Part of the way I'm preventing myself from insulting myself is thinking of how when friends I love do it to themselves, it's upsetting. So, under the hopefully-reasonable assumption that people who care about me would be upset to hear insults directed at me, I choose to spare them the grief! Besides that, thank you for your support!

Hey loki, nice job! it sounds like you're well on your way to completing your goals.

The self compliment idea is a great goal. It's the little things such as that which help our wellness and confidence.

Also with jogging, I personally hate it and opt to usually walk, but what works for me is forcing myself to do an errand on foot so once you get there you have to return. i.e. walking to the bank, grocery store, a friends house etc. I don't know if thats applicable where you live, also walks in the woods beat the pants off of sidewalks, roads, treadmills.

Good luck lady!