The Clerics- Accountable to a Higher Power

WELCOME!

This group is for disciples of Christ who wish to improve their bodies to glorify their creator. 

This thread IS NOT for religious debate!  It is for encouraging your brothers and sisters in the faith to "Run in such a way as to get the prize." (1 Cor 9:24)

Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1393420364214700/

Spiritual health is more important than physical health, but you cannot properly glorify the LORD your God if you don't act as a proper steward of everything He gave you! 

May God bless this 6-week challenge and all its participants.

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Cor. 6:20

I'm in! I'm hoping this group will remind me not to work out for the approval of man.  I've been really focused on fitness for the last year and I need to be careful not to make it an idol.

Here are the group members signed up so far, linked to their challenge threads:

unused_bagels

tenaciousglee

cerulean

Eilyd

erin212f

alienjenn

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Welcome, ladies! I added links to your challenges in my original post.

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Well, now that we're here, this is my first time challenge, and don't really know how this accountability thing works.  I read all the FAQ's and stuff, but I think I need to go find a few examples of what everyone else is doing.

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Cor. 6:20

The last time I was in a group, we didn't use the group thread very much, but we did check in on the members' individual threads.

If there's something you specifically want accountability for, you could post it here, I guess.  Not 100% sure on the best use of the thread.

I'd say post one verse for your focus for the week, and keep it written on a slip of paper in your pocket or wallet or something.  Something that will inspire you for fitness that week that you found in your reading.

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

This verse has been floating through my head since I read it earlier this week:

1 Cor. 9:24

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.

Trite, perhaps, but I happen to be in Corinthians currently.  While the verse does not explicitly say this, I am reminded: I cannot hope to receive the prize if I do not "run". Whether literal running, or exercise in general, or trying to be the best at what I do.  I apply the main meaning spiritually: all who have faith in Jesus and seek to please him will have eternal life, but daily I can bring him more joy by "running" harder. This will improve my relationship with him and make it even more rewarding when I finally see him at the end of the race.

This week's verse for me is 1 John 2:17:  "The world and its desires are passing away, but the one who does the will of God lives forever."  This reminds me that I can't always do what I want, but if I do what God wills me to do, I will not only have eternal life, but I will have a long, healthy life on Earth.

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

This week's verse for me is 1 John 2:17: "The world and its desires are passing away, but the one who does the will of God lives forever." This reminds me that I can't always do what I want, but if I do what God wills me to do, I will not only have eternal life, but I will have a long, healthy life on Earth.

Good one! I gotta say, I love knowing their are other Christians on here who are also excited about training physically as well as spiritually. Very encouraging!

ok... I am in... I will add me to the spreadsheet at some point... at work right now

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Great verse!

We will definitely have trouble, but I know it's got to be worse if I let myself go.  I have to keep pressing on to look good and be fit, because if I don't someone will see me and think, "How could I be a Christian if that man doesn't even respect his own body?"  These kinds of questions might be insensitive, but they exist.  I need to remember to put a good face on the power of Christ working daily in my life.  People see me, and every time I slip up, they talk.  Granted, I'm human, but we need to strive to overcome our worldly nature as much as possible.  Jesus overcame it, so that we can too!

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

Two good verses I've read in the last week are:

Genesis 1:27  - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.  When I think about this verse, I tell myself "God is not a slob.  God would not be out of shape."

1 Corinthians 6:20 - For you were bought with a price.  So glorify God in your body.  This is a reminder not to waste the life we have.

And of course one of my favorites is Genesis 2:25 - "And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed."  A fun side effect of caring for your body!  :playful:

How's everyone doing, spiritually and physically?

I know the past two weeks I've been spending more time playing DnD and other fantasy-type games in my off-time than I have working on my relationship with God and my physical health.  Therefore, I'm taking a week off from board games and things like that, and today I'm fasting so I can focus on productivity.  Every time I feel the hunger pangs I remember that this week is a new start at glorifying God in thought, word and deed. 

Tell us how well you're doing on your 6-week challenges!

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer

I've been doing some extra reading on Intermittent Fasting since Steve's article a couple of weeks ago.  I started reading Bigger Smaller Bigger, which is basically the journal of a guy trying to gain 20 pounds in 28 days to emulate an MMA fighter going up to a higher weight class.  He then dropped all 20 pounds in 5 days to emulate dropping weight for a pre-fight weigh-in and then he gained 17 pounds back in 24 hours by "superhydrating".  I have no interest in doing this, but I do want to bulk up, so it was interesting to read what he went through.  He also fasted one day a week to "reset his metabolism".  Anyway, that got me thinking about food and it lead me to read "How Much Protein" and "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon.  Lots of conflicting information out there, so I actually started a Google Doc to track who says what for gaining weight and burning fat.  I've basically been thinking too much about it for the last week and was told as much last night by my wife.

Then this morning at church, the sermon was on work and it referenced 1 Corinthians 10:31 which says "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  I saw alienjenn also posted this verse in Eilyd's challenge thread a couple of weeks ago.  I'm hoping to settle down a bit this week and start eating and drinking to the glory of God.

Also, I added alienjenn's thread to the earlier post that included everyone in the group. 

I've been doing some extra reading on Intermittent Fasting since Steve's article a couple of weeks ago.  I started reading Bigger Smaller Bigger, which is basically the journal of a guy trying to gain 20 pounds in 28 days to emulate an MMA fighter going up to a higher weight class.  He then dropped all 20 pounds in 5 days to emulate dropping weight for a pre-fight weigh-in and then he gained 17 pounds back in 24 hours by "superhydrating".  I have no interest in doing this, but I do want to bulk up, so it was interesting to read what he went through.  He also fasted one day a week to "reset his metabolism".  Anyway, that got me thinking about food and it lead me to read "How Much Protein" and "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon.  Lots of conflicting information out there, so I actually started a Google Doc to track who says what for gaining weight and burning fat.  I've basically been thinking too much about it for the last week and was told as much last night by my wife.

Then this morning at church, the sermon was on work and it referenced 1 Corinthians 10:31 which says "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  I saw alienjenn also posted this verse in Eilyd's challenge thread a couple of weeks ago.  I'm hoping to settle down a bit this week and start eating and drinking to the glory of God.

Also, I added alienjenn's thread to the earlier post that included everyone in the group. 

just don't start collecting underpants ;) figure out which plan you want to try then try it for a month... if you don't see the results you want then try something else... don't over think things.... 

my philosophy is that eating real whole pure food and enjoying it... and doing real exercise... and getting to the point where I feel comfortable in my skin.... 

that is a form of worship.... 

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

just don't start collecting underpants ;) figure out which plan you want to try then try it for a month... if you don't see the results you want then try something else... don't over think things.... 

But if I don't collect underpants, how will I ever get to Step 3 - Profit? :)  I will take your advice with the month trial, but over thinking things is one of my specialties.

But if I don't collect underpants, how will I ever get to Step 3 - Profit? :)  I will take your advice with the month trial, but over thinking things is one of my specialties.

:) it's ok to change specialties ;)

Spoiler

UGH.

So you know the section where Jesus sent out the disciples, and said "If people don't accept you, GTFO"? (Paraphrase....definitely not an official translation.) I hear people apply that in a lot of circumstances that are not directly related to evangelism.  Frequently, "If they don't like what you say, then screw them, leave." is where it will be used. And I'm wondering if that's a proper use of scripture to justify action.

Why's this on my mind? Because I'm definitely feeling this regarding my work.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines