• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Virago

Let's be "big damn heroes!" [Snowfox]

"Ain't we just?" :D

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to the forum -- made a post awhile back but usually just read the articles and don't drop in here. I really need the motivation/accountability aspect though, so I'm diving into my first official 6-week challenge! (I know I'm posting a day late, but I did start yesterday with my first-ever "Zombies, Run!" experience. It rocked! :) )

I'm still hammering out the details and digging into my main motivators, but here's where I'm at so far:

Main Quest:

I want to be leaner, stronger, and more confident!

Goals:

1. 4 workouts a week with at least two runs. I do crossfit 2x a week out of my garage, so hopefully I can add running on MWF. I don't like running one bit, but I'm doing my first Tough Mudder in September, so I really need the practice! I tried the "Zombies, Run!" app for the first time last night and had a BLAST, so I'm hoping to continue with that. I will also be signing up for krav maga classes again once I'm a little more financially stable. Between those options, I hope to get 5-6 days a week, but 4 for sure!

2. I eat mostly paleo already and did Whole30 in May. I'm struggling to find a balance between Whole30's all/nothing approach and my typical "I'm a healthy weight and I worked out, so I 'deserve' this milkshake!" attitude. The plan for these 6 weeks is to limit desserts (since the rest of my diet's already paleo-friendly) to days where I've worked out, and to stick to reasonable portion sizes -- 1-2 cookies, not 5. :)

3. I struggle with meditation, but to start working towards it, I want to spend at least one mindful minute per day just focusing on my motivations below and telling myself that I CAN do this!

Life Quest:

I'm not going to worry too much about this one, as I have more than enough to focus on above. But my life quest this time is just to stay positive, calm, and keep working towards a more stable job -- I graduated in May and am still working on that transition! I know this doesn't sound measurable, but trust me, I'll be able to tell you how successful I've been by the end of these 6 weeks. :D

Motivation:

--I don't need to lose weight, but I've never been athletic, and I've always envied people with physical skills. I want to stop envying and start doing!

--I'm doing my first Tough Mudder on September 7th and really want to finish strong.

--I want to be the new Lara Croft for Halloween this year. :)

--I want to prove to myself that I CAN do these things I've avoided/feared all my life. I don't want to live vicariously through my Skyrim Nordic lass or Kvothe. I want to make health and fitness my adventure, and finally respect what my body's capable of!

--I want to believe in myself. 

Good luck, fellow rebels! Let's do this!

UPDATE: I'm a nerd and this computer has MS Paint (no WAY!!). So here's Lara with some motivation to offer us (disclaimer: none of these images are mine, I just added text)!

You know what I like best about this post?  All the "I's".  Means you're doing it for yourself and not someone or something else.  You can do it!

And you're quote... loved that episode.

Thanks! I'm an only child, so focusing on "me" isn't an issue. :P Thanks for the motivation!

I was going to use "I aim to misbehave" as my quote, but this one's more motivating. That was one of my favorite scenes! "I married me a powerful ugly creature!" "How can you say that? How can you shame me in front of these nice people? You are not the man I married!" Ha! :)

Cheers! Yeah, I went out and "adopted" about 15 older brothers (okay, at least 4 close ones) when I joined a kung fu studio at 16, but grew up on my own. My boyfriend -- one of the kung fu instructors, incidentally -- has a resemblance to our Mal and went as Captain Hammer for Halloween. (Please tell me you've seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!) :D

Yes I have, hilariously awesome movie.  That's a good way to get brothers. I was in Tae Kwon Do in high school and now getting back into Tai Chi.  Working to get my wife into it as well, she's a former karate instructor.    Are you planning to use Kung Fu to help with your challenge?  I understand the meditation as well, I went through a school last fall that brought it's benefits to my attention and have been working to learn as much as I can about it and create my own. We will have to keep in touch over the next six weeks and compare notes!

Tai Chi is GREAT! I'm not quite patient enough yet to dedicate myself to that yet, though I know it'd be good for me. :)

I haven't been at the kung fu studio much lately due to work, finances, etc, but the instructors still come by to work with me and Rogue Leader (the cyber codename I've given my fellow-nerd boyfriend, hah) for crossfit. Kung fu will definitely be part of my life, but it's on the backburner for the moment. Hoping to get back later this year! In the meantime, though I'm not a fan of running, I'm using the zombie run app to get some running practice in before the Mudder, and with crossfit I think that'll be enough. After these 6 weeks hopefully I can get back to krav maga & kung fu!

Monday was the first day I used it; going to go for another run with it after work today. I loved it so far! I'm not a big runner - crossfit and martial arts are more my style - but it actually made running fun. I would have kept going if my roommate's dog didn't get tired and start walking after ~20min :)

What kind of distances are you running?

It will take some time to really know this but I will be curious to see how your running and X-Fit work together.  Many WODs have running in them of various distances but nothing real long so it will be interesting to see how you integrate everything.

Hi Jimmy! I am an absolutely abysmal runner - I had asthma as a kid, I never achieved the runner's "zone," and I just overall hated it. Even the reps of 400m runs or 800m runs can be tough for me with CrossFit. Normally, I'd go the NF route of "If you don't like it, don't do it!" but I do need a cardio/stamina increase, I want to survive the zombie apocalypse, and the Tough Mudder will require ~12 miles (broken up, but with up to 4mi stretches) of running, so I feel doing some prep is important. I'd rather focus on increasing strength through Crossfit and Krav, but I think running will benefit me as well.

Right now I'm doing about 15-20min of running when I go out. I try to walk as little as possible (yesterday's run had very brief walking breaks because it had just rained, and there was an occasional bridge to cross that I didn't want to slip on and drop my phone!). With the walking, and one break to pick up dog poop (come on, dog, the zombies will get you!), I did 1.4mi on Monday and 1.8 miles yesterday, both in around 18min. Doesn't sound like a lot to me, but it is a lot FOR me. :)

Hey snowfox, just had my attention grabbed by your Tough Mudder reference. Are you running in WI? My wife and I and a few friends are running our first ever TM on Sept. 8th! Super stoked about that and I've been throwing in a couple runs during the week as well to make sure I don't pass out somewhere in between obstacles. My biggest fear, though, is that I get injured on the course (I have a long history of ankle and knee problems) and my wife and her doctor friends need to drag me off the course. Actually that's more like her biggest fear. :) Anyway, I'm excited to connect with another Mudder. Hopefully we can stay in touch in the lead-up to the race.

Hey Snowfox,

just trying to catch up with all the house mates from House Stark! Welcome welcome, i'm excited to get to know more of the team members and motivating each other to do well.  I also use Zombies Run and its a great app, i know what you mean about running being dull, but the voice acting and story in the app is great and gets my imagination flowing.  Are you starting off with the full on app or the 5k training one?  I'm thinking of joining Aikido my first martial's art here once they get back from summer vacation.  I've always always wanted to do martial arts but never took the leap!  

Anyhow hope your still going strong!

Cheers Joe

Hey Elastoman! I sure am running in WI - my friends and I are doing our first on the 7th!! I'm sure as long as you train flexibility & strength now and stay alert during the race you won't need to be dragged anywhere! Great to see another first-time Mudder out here. And go, Wisconsinites! :)

Rexsomnii, thanks for the House Stark welcome! I'm using the full zombie run app, but I'm only on mission 2 so far. Definitely try Aikido if you get the chance! Martial arts are a very empowering way to get fit in my opinion. :)

Wayward, that's an interesting point - I've never run very far without stopping, and my zombie runs have been short of 2 miles (with slower pace jogging and the occasional quick walk break thrown in). I'll keep upping the distance and see what happens! It would be really cool to truly enjoy a run. :)

Hope everyone's still doing well! Happy Friday!

Thank you so much for checking in! I started a new job this week and have been going through training Tues-Fri -- no computer breaks for me like I'm used to ;)

Overall I'd say things are going well, though on paper they don't look as great this week. I missed my run yesterday due to a very rare family gathering with out-of-state visitors (which also infringed upon paleo goals -- but hey, I'm down for a fish fry and milkshake here and there!). Unfortunately I missed crossfit today as well. My new job's in the city, and despite being less than 15 miles from my house, it took an hour or more to get home today. I will definitely need to figure out a new route or see if I can leave early on crossfit days! I get in 30min early to avoid traffic (plus I'm a morning person), so hopefully that won't be a problem moving forward.

We made a great paleo dinner tonight, though, and I ate 80+% paleo during the day today and the rest of the breakfast/lunches this week so far, so we're doing good there. If I can get out of my night shift at my second job tomorrow, I'll be sure to get my run in. I'm also taking the crossfit level 1 certification this weekend, so I think I'll get some handy working out in there too!

(I am SO not "ready" or experienced enough to be a coach of any sort, for the record. I had this on my goal list to do in the next year or two. It just so happened that one opened up relatively close to where I live, and it was too good of an opportunity for my boyfriend -- who normally coaches our friends and me in our garage already -- and I to pass up. So here we are!)

Anyway, I'm staying positive and hanging in there in the face of some very overwhelming routine changes! Thanks again for following up. Nice to have support out there. :)

We modified it a bit, but here's what we made for dinner tonight if anyone's interested (we skipped the applesauce part and winged the spices, and it was delicious!): http://delightfultastebuds.com/2011/07/13/apple-lime-chicken-stir-fry/

Hope all is well with all of you!

Are you working in Milwaukee? Glad to hear your sticking to your goals despite some challenges. I missed my run yesterday and my BBWC today so I feel your pain. I definitely need to make sure to work out before the end of the day. After dinner I just want to have some tea and browse the forums or read a book and go to bed.

How's it going, Elastoman, Waywardson, & everyone else? Good weekend? :)

You guys, I just did my Crossfit Level 1 seminar this weekend. SO AMAZING. Despite fighting against 20+ years of being inactive and not believing that I could ever be considered athletic, I think I'm finally becoming kind of a fitness nerd. This is a really cool feeling. :D Just wanted to share! Hope everyone's goals are progressing well!

Glad you enjoyed your seminar and had a good weekend.  Very proud of you.  Its is a cool feeling being able to be nerdy about fitness :)

My weekend was good, relaxing, refreshing and productive.

Oh jeez, you guys. The past two weeks have been more 50/50 in the diet department than 85/15. A lot of stress and comfort food and poor choices. I also haven't made running a priority; work and other things have gotten in the way.

On the plus side, I work on the 3rd floor (there are also 2 mezz levels, so it's more 4-5 flights of stairs) and I never take the elevator; I went camping and did some walking (though I had minor shin splints from my first sprint workout, so it was rather painful to go downhill), I had a great CrossFit workout last night, and I just got the closest I've ever been to a strict pull up!

It's interesting how work culture affects me. I still pack healthy lunches and cook healthy dinners, but at this job everyone comes & goes for snacks, coffee, etc in neighboring buildings, and I've fallen into the habit of getting a cinnamon roll or m&ms from the candy dish down the hall... I have never been like this before. I think if I handle my stress better, I'll be less tempted for comfort food. I'm also finally acknowledging that I probably don't eat enough overall. Maybe if I pack a bigger lunch, I won't crave a cookie run in the afternoon as badly?

Anyway, some small wins (stairs, PULL UP?!) and some opportunities for better choices next week/this weekend/right now. :)

PS: I have completely failed at the "believe in myself" goal. I totally don't believe I'll accomplish any of my goals 99% of the time. Tips on changing this ridiculous mindset are TOTALLY welcome. :(