Ever boring themes with Zuel

Zuel

I actually wrote something but I´m not too convinced about posting it. :0

Oh well, here goes the bare minimum.

Main Quest

Reach less than 10% BFI. Make healthy living my new standard in life.

90x55x2-Stormburst.pngIncrease Agility

At least 480 punches and 180 kicks a week. 10 minutes of HIIT (warming/cooling aside) at least 2 days a week. 1 Grade down for each week missing the minimum for any of the activities involved. 

DEX + 3, STA + 1

90x55x2-Frostphase.pngImprove Rest                          

7:30 hours of sleep. In bed at 22:25 Sunday to Thursday, up at 5:55 on weekdays. 5 or more minutes of meditations before going to bed. Start routine before 6:15 on weekdays. 1 grade down each 3 fails for any of the rules mentioned.

CON + 1, CHA + 1, STA + 1

90x55x2-Rupture.pngIncrease Arm Strength

Try different types of push ups in a weekly basis: Inclined, Divebombers, Clap, Side Plank and One Arm (Supposedly from easier to harder). If I can do 4 sets with more than 12 reps then the next week I try next one in the list. Else I stay next week doing the same kind of push up. “A†grade goes if I manage to reach One Arm Push ups (regardless of reps), 1 grade less for each stage below that. Also by the end of the challenge: reach 10 pull ups and 10 chin ups, 1 grade less for each 2 reps less in any of them. As usual correct form is critical.                  

STR + 4, STA + 1

Side Quests

Life:

Take at least 1 hour a day to study/practice programming and present one Microsoft .NET/SQL certification exam. 1 grade goes down for any week with less than 7 hours of study. Fail if exam is not presented given the chance.

WIS + 3 

Fitness:

Film myself doing the Persistent Black Belt Push Up Challenge to perfect form.

Track:

Try to find a way to make an easier to read log.

Motivation:

I´m doing this for my self, for my girlfriend and for my family.

I want to look amazing because I´m vain like that. Bite me (zombies: ignore this).

I want to people stop trying to guess why my girlfriend is with me only because I don´t look as good as her. I´ll be as awesome on the outside as I´m in the inside, with all my delicious organs (again, zombies: should must ignore this).

I want to inspire my family into being healthier by showing them unbelievable results by doing small changes.

Some notes:

Log keeping is now a given. Everything I do: sleep patterns, eating, exercise routines and even studying goes there. Blessed be the log.

I´m trying to change things a bit with the push up challenge because I´m feeling a lot of difficulties increasing my count. I just can´t break the 47 barrier yet and I´m hoping to cover my weaknesses while experimenting with these other options. I may go back to some of these variants on later challenges.

No Paleo yet, but soon. *Grumble grumble*

I may move out from my home. New house will present new opportunities and may change this challenge but those changes will healthier and more amazing cause that´s how I roll, also park with children playground just across the street (yay).

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Don't stress over the theme Z, the challenge is more important!

Good set of goals, don't change your tracking, your log was awesome!

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Thanks OP! I´m glad to start this again and don´t worry I will keep up tracking everything. Starting now!

-------------------------------------------

Day 1 – Monday, Jul 29, 2013

I woke up at: 5:55 hrs.

6:20 hrs.

Time to complete: 47 minutes.

·         5 minutes warming up and stretching.

·         Deadlift 4 sets with: 12 ( 4 Kgs. ), 10 ( 5 Kgs. ),  8 ( 6 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 7 Kgs. ).

·         Alternating 4 sets of inclined push-ups with 60 consecutive punches: 20 reps each.

·         Rows. 4 sets with: 12 ( 18Kgs. ), 10 ( 19Kgs. ),  8 ( 20 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 21Kgs. ).

·         Walking lunges 4 sets of 20 reps (arms high over head).

·         Bicep Curls. 4 sets with: 12 ( 18Kgs. ), 10 ( 19Kgs. ),  8 ( 20 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 21Kgs. ).

·         Alternating 3 sets of squads (20 reps) (arms high overhead) with 30 consecutive kicks.

·         5 minutes of core exercises

·         5 minutes cooling down and stretching.

Notes: I actually forgot to do the last set of 30 kicks. I will do them on Wednesday or on Friday to keep up with the weekly minimum. The inclined push ups were not that bad. A bit harder but that was it, I´ll try to reach 25  reps per set on Friday.

07:20 hrs.     

·        2 eggs.

·        1 cup of onion, tomato, and jalapeño pepper.

·        1 cup of papaya

10:00 hrs.

·        1 apple and 1 plum.

14:30 hrs.

·        1 big salad: grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, beet, carrot, mushrooms, bell pepper, sesame, vinaigrette as dressing.

15:00 hrs.

·        1 hour of study

Note: DAYUM!! That felt as if It would never end! And I was almost falling asleep. =/

19:00 hrs.

·        20 peanuts

·        1 coconut with water

20:40 hrs.

·        1 cup of All-Bran with 1 cup of delactosed milk

·        2 nuts

22:15 hrs.

·        5 minutes of meditation.

I went to sleep at 22:25 hrs.

Note: The hard part here is that I´m actually sacrificing videogame time here…|T_T|

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

Heavens to Murgatroyd, Zuel.  Every challenge you obsess about how awful and unreadable your logs are and every challenge you are shouted down.  How long until you realize that your dedication and detail inspires people.  Take credit where it's due, man.  Sheesh.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Oh you know man, obsession is a double edged sword  :ph34r:.

But this is last time. Promise!

And thanks for the wake up slap =P.

Good to see you back at it again! I was wondering when we'd get to see you.

With the push ups: I understand the desire to go hard and go far with it, but keep in mind. One-armed push ups are no joke. The added challenge of keeping the core stable is quite significant, and I don't want you setting yourself up so that you fail that goal in the worst way.

Also, don't knock boring. Boring is good. Boring gets results.

Hey Kishi! Thanks, I´m glad to be doing this again.

With the push ups: I understand the desire to go hard and go far with it, but keep in mind. One-armed push ups are no joke. The added challenge of keeping the core stable is quite significant, and I don't want you setting yourself up so that you fail that goal in the worst way.

Thanks for the concern. To prevent my utter failure I didn´t set any repetition goals for 1 arm push ups, only "reaching" them on my improvised ladder. This "push up extravaganza" is me giving a go to the variants while doing my best. If I find them impossible to do at the end of the challenge (as when I tried them last Sunday) I merely go back to the second most challenging variant and then trying again next week. Hopefully my face won´t meet the floor in any sense XP.

Now, to get results!

Good to see you back at it again! I was wondering when we'd get to see you.

Also, don't knock boring. Boring is good. Boring gets results.

+1.  I fully admit to being boring all the time.  I'm busy, but I most definitely have a set pattern that I like to keep to make my life easier.

No Paleo yet, but soon. *Grumble grumble*

Don't worry about being Paleo.  Worry about eating clean.  Yea, the Paleo would probably help get you to that 10% BF figure, but eating clean is much more sustainable in my mind.  It's one of the reasons I don't worry about trying to go Paleo - I like my fresh baked bread and oatmeal.  On the plus side, it means that when I eat with Paleo friends, I have no issue if they serve and entire Paleo-friendly meal.  (And my cousin who is on-and-off Paleo was very glad I had no issues with that when we went camping last week and she asked if the site could be Paleo.  Win for me.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Glad you're back, was getting worried when I didn't see your thread up yet. Now I have my inspiration.  :biggrin-new:  Your challenge is looking great, we're going to own this one. This time I'm not letting anything get in my way, Zombies be damned!

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

+1.  I fully admit to being boring all the time.  I'm busy, but I most definitely have a set pattern that I like to keep to make my life easier.

Don't worry about being Paleo.  Worry about eating clean.  Yea, the Paleo would probably help get you to that 10% BF figure, but eating clean is much more sustainable in my mind.  It's one of the reasons I don't worry about trying to go Paleo - I like my fresh baked bread and oatmeal.  On the plus side, it means that when I eat with Paleo friends, I have no issue if they serve and entire Paleo-friendly meal.  (And my cousin who is on-and-off Paleo was very glad I had no issues with that when we went camping last week and she asked if the site could be Paleo.  Win for me.)

Oh yeah! Making everything into a routine is the way to go for me! I love doing healthy and good choices without even thinking about it!

Thanks for the pep up! I wish I could do paleo all the time! I don´t have paleo aware friends but I´m planning teaming up with my girlfriend and go full Paleo next challenge. It will be glorious!

Impressive goals, strong motivation.   Inspiring others by example, neat. 

you .. ate .. a coconut ?    Having difficulties projecting a mental image of that.

Thanks Nusuth! I hope it works like that! :)

Oh yes. Where I live we have coconut vendors. They have coconuts already opened and cold. You can easily have all the flesh and water you want. The guy comes like 3 times a week. I have researched a bit and coconuts are great for my weight loss goals. =D

Glad you're back, was getting worried when I didn't see your thread up yet. Now I have my inspiration.  :biggrin-new:  Your challenge is looking great, we're going to own this one. This time I'm not letting anything get in my way, Zombies be damned!

Oh Chrissa, thank you! Sorry about the delay, I have been a bit busier than usual, but nothing to worry about. Everything is back on track.

We´ll watch each other´s backs. The only thing those zombies will bite is dust!

-------------------------------------------

Day 2 – Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I woke up at: 5:55 hrs.

6:15 hrs.

·        5 minutes warming up and stretching.

·        10 minutes HIIT.

·        5 minutes of core exercises

·        2 sets of 5 pull ups.

·        2 sets of 5 chin ups.

·        2 sets of 10 assisted dips.

·        5 minutes cooling down and stretching.

Notes: Watching some videos I realized my dips were not correct. So I stepped back and went to the previous level. I´ll go back to regular dips in a couple of weeks. Also, my pull ups and chin ups are...

(•_•) ...

( •_•)>âŒâ– -â–  ...

(âŒâ– _â– ) ... going up.

07:30 hrs.     

·        1 chicken sandwich with lettuce, onion and tomato.

09:30 hrs.

·        1 apple

·        3 cups of picadillo with beef, tomato, potato, peas, celery

·        ½ cup of peanuts

·        ¼ cup of almonds

·        ¼ cup of cranberries

Note: Assault to my girlfriend’s nut and berry stash. =P

·        300 grs of beef.

·        2 glasses of soda.

Note: We went to arrange some paperwork for the house we are buying. It took a while and we came back around 22:00 hrs. My girl surprised me saying she hadn´t eat anything since the morning, was starving and wanted tacos. So we did, I did not eat the tortillas but drank soda so J L

23:10 hrs.

·        1 cup of All-Bran with 1 cup of delactosed milk.

23:40 hrs.

·        5 minutes of meditation

I went to sleep at 23:45 hrs.

Note: I left my girl at her house and it took me a while to get to mine, prepare everything for the next day and get to bed. I´m not sure to consider this a fail since it was not completely under my control. That paperwork was vital for my life plans. So no biggie J.

Notes: Watching some videos I realized my dips were not correct. So I stepped back and went to the previous level. I´ll go back to regular dips in a couple of weeks. Also, my pull ups and chin ups are...

(•_•) ...

( •_•)>⌐■-■ ...

(⌐■_â– ) ... going up.

I am so proud of you right now.

Zuel! That is not a boring theme!

...But I won't lie - I wanna see what you wrote. I'm watching my private mail (if this thing has private mail).

RE: Track side quest.

Your logs are amazingly easy to read.

If anything, maybe consider bolding header sections or times to make it easier to break down each occasion, but I don't think you need to do that at all. Your logs are amazingly easy to read. I am losing this log-off.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Yay, Zuel logging!!

Great goals of course. Great motivation and dedication. Can I just say though, about the wanting to "look as good as your girlfriend"? Nothing wrong with that and if it keeps you inspired - great! However: that focus and determination you have to improve? THAT, together with your general attitude, is more attractive than any kind of body. Trust me. :)

Always kick higher

I am so proud of you right now.

achievement_unlocked_2-1.jpg

XD

Zuel! That is not a boring theme!

...But I won't lie - I wanna see what you wrote. I'm watching my private mail (if this thing has private mail).

RE: Track side quest.

Your logs are amazingly easy to read.

If anything, maybe consider bolding header sections or times to make it easier to break down each occasion, but I don't think you need to do that at all. Your logs are amazingly easy to read. I am losing this log-off.

Eeeeeeh! =D Thanks fair Mouse. I started working too late on it and it is not finished yet. I´m thinking about using it for the next challenge. Still, you can get to read it and critic it in a PM if you want ;).

Bolding times sound good. I´ll try it today and see how it looks. Thanks :). I think we should start next week when you are not so busy with the Novena =D. 

Yay, Zuel logging!!

Great goals of course. Great motivation and dedication. Can I just say though, about the wanting to "look as good as your girlfriend"? Nothing wrong with that and if it keeps you inspired - great! However: that focus and determination you have to improve? THAT, together with your general attitude, is more attractive than any kind of body. Trust me. :)

Wow Jem! Thanks for the support and perspective. I didn´t think of it that way as I was writing it. I should really change that point as it now looks much less important. =o

Not boring, Zuel. Simple! Simple is good! And you've proved it with your first day. :)

Thanks Llw! I would change the name of the topic but it is not possible. I´ll compensate having a better name next challenge XD

And quite right: Simple all the way!

-----------------------------------------------------

Day 3 – Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013

I woke up at: 5:59 hrs.

Note: A bit tired for sleeping late, but nothing out of hand.

·        Beginner body weigh circuit (completed 4 circuits: 20 minutes 36 seconds)

o   26 body weight squats (arms high over head)

o   13 push ups

o   26 walking lunges (13 per leg, arms high over head)

o   16 dumbbell rows (10 kgs.)

o   30 second plank

o   48 Jumping Jacks

Notes: A bit tired, did not continue with some cardio as usual. Maybe next week. =0

·        3 quesadillas with hebra and beans.

10:30 hrs.

·        1 apple.

·        1 ½ bowls of pozole: white corn, pork meat, radish, lettuce, oregano, onion.

·        1 hour of study

Note: thinking about moving the hour of study just before sleeping. I really get sleepy. Then again… I don´t want my body to take my study efforts as a signal to fall asleep.

20:00 hrs.

·        20 peanuts

20:40 hrs.

·        2 nuts

22:20 hrs.

·        5 minutes of meditation.

I went to sleep at 22:30 hrs.

--------------------------------------------------

Mmm, yes, the bold looks well with the times :D

Yep, The Mouse definitely had a point with the bold. Totally easier to read.

Also, cardio is overrated unless you're attempting to improve your conditioning. And even then, strength and power work tend to be more valuable for that kind of thing anyway. So, nothing to worry about.

Nice Z, your results with the BBW circuit are coming along well.

I miss squats :(

Hey OP :). Thanks.

Don´t worry, I´m sure your situation is temporary. In a few months you will look back and laugh at that setback.

Yep, The Mouse definitely had a point with the bold. Totally easier to read.

Also, cardio is overrated unless you're attempting to improve your conditioning. And even then, strength and power work tend to be more valuable for that kind of thing anyway. So, nothing to worry about.

(True) X 2.

I´m not too worried. It is only to add some extra kick to the routine anyway. =D

Day 4 – Thursday, Ago 01, 2013

I woke up at: 5:15 hrs.

Notes: Earlier than usual. Actually felt quite good so I didn´t go back to bed.

6:00 hrs.

·        10 minutes HIIT.

·        5 minutes of core exercises

·        2 sets of 6 pull ups.

·        2 sets of 6 chin ups.

·        2 sets of 10 assisted dips.

Notes: I didn´t complete the 2nd chin up set in one go. I only managed up to 4 and then added the other 2. After done, I felt a slight pain in my left elbow. Good thing I won´t do more of them until next Tuesday.

·        2 eggs

·        1 coconut yoghurt. 

09:40 hrs.

·        1 apple.

·        1/2 hour of study

·        1 bowl of pozole: white corn, pork meat, radish, lettuce, oregano, onion.

19:40 hrs.

·        1 big glass of soda.

·        Like half bucket of popcorn.

Note: A friend invited me watch Pacific Rim again. I regret nothing.

22:10 hrs.

I went to sleep at 22:25 hrs.

Good to know!

Today I don´t feel the small pain anymore. I think that 4 days of rest will be more than enough =D.

Sorry I've been so quiet here, been keeping myself busy but I've been following. I like to check up on my friend's threads while on break at work. Best distraction ever and it helps keep me on track and encouraged. Everyone is doing so well this week. I love the bold for your logs, so easy to read. I'm also tempted to go see Pacific Rim again but since it's a long weekend and we're both working might not be able to. I will definitely buy the blu-ray. How's the meditation coming for you? I'm noticing that I sleep better since I started listening to binaural beats while drifting off to sleep. Some days I do some mindful breathing when I have time in the morning. I find it harder lately as my mind seems to have a lot of chatter right now but I catch myself and let it go.

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

if the pain happens again you might want to do assisted pull ups/chin ups for a bit.  Put a chair under your pull up bar and rest your legs on it to remove some of the weight you need to lift.  The farther the chair is from you the less of your weight it supports.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Sorry I've been so quiet here, been keeping myself busy but I've been following. I like to check up on my friend's threads while on break at work. Best distraction ever and it helps keep me on track and encouraged. Everyone is doing so well this week. I love the bold for your logs, so easy to read. I'm also tempted to go see Pacific Rim again but since it's a long weekend and we're both working might not be able to. I will definitely buy the blu-ray. How's the meditation coming for you? I'm noticing that I sleep better since I started listening to binaural beats while drifting off to sleep. Some days I do some mindful breathing when I have time in the morning. I find it harder lately as my mind seems to have a lot of chatter right now but I catch myself and let it go.

No problem Chrissa. Hope you are doing fine. Usually meditation is good, but this weekend has showed me that I have a looooong way to go.

if the pain happens again you might want to do assisted pull ups/chin ups for a bit.  Put a chair under your pull up bar and rest your legs on it to remove some of the weight you need to lift.  The farther the chair is from you the less of your weight it supports.

Thanks man. I´m going to see how my elbow reacts tomorrow morning. I can´t use a chair since I´m pretty much in a park using the apparatus, but I could use my leg against the post and add some assistance to my arms. I hope I am fully recovered by then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 5 – Friday, Aug 02, 2013

I woke up at: 5:57 hrs.

5:57 hrs.

·        3 nuts

Time to complete: 51 minutes.

·         5 minutes warming up and stretching.

·         Deadlift 4 sets with: 12 ( 4 Kgs. ), 10 ( 5 Kgs. ),  8 ( 6 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 7 Kgs. ).

·         Alternating 4 sets of inclined push-ups with 60 consecutive punches: 25 reps each.

·         Rows. 4 sets with: 12 ( 18Kgs. ), 10 ( 19Kgs. ),  8 ( 20 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 21Kgs. ).

·         Walking lunges 4 sets of 20 reps (arms high over head).

·         Bicep Curls. 4 sets with: 12 ( 18Kgs. ), 10 ( 19Kgs. ),  8 ( 20 Kgs. ) and 6 ( 21Kgs. ).

·         Alternating 3 sets of squads (20 reps) (arms high overhead) with 40 consecutive kicks.

·         5 minutes of core exercises

·         5 minutes cooling down and stretching.

Notes: Took me longer than usual. Perhaps it was the extra reps in push ups and the extra number of kicks… I added 10 kicks to each set for the 30 I forgot to do on Monday.

·        1 chicken sandwich with lettuce, onion and tomato.

10:00 hrs.

·        1 apple.

·        1 salad with bacon, lettuce, pear, tomato, onion, ranch dressing

·        350 grs. Of chicken.

·        1 beer and 1 glass of lemonade.

·        1 big salad: grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, beet, carrot, mushrooms, bell pepper, sesame, vinaigrette.

I went to sleep at 23:50 hrs.

Day 6 – Saturday, Aug 03, 2013

I woke up at: 08:00 hrs.

10:40 hrs.

·        2 egg a la Motuleño

·        3 cups of fruit: pineapple, watermelon, melon and banana.

·        1 glass of lemonade

13:20 hrs.    

·        15 peanuts

17:00 hrs.

·        2 chicken breasts (350 grs total) marinated

·        2 cups of nopal, tomato and onion

·        1 bowl of cereal with delactosed milk.

Note: Dreadful day. Girl has been ill since Thursday night. She was diagnosed with dengue fever since yesterday. I´ve been tending her constant fevers all day long. I feel very tired.

I went to sleep at 23:00 hrs.

Day 7 – Sunday, Aug 04, 2013

I woke up at: 07:30 hrs.

Note: we had to go to the hospital to give some hematological samples and see some results. Things got a bit worse.

11:20 hrs.

·        1 bowl of cereal with delactosed milk.

·        2 eggs with spinach and onion

·        2 chicken breasts (350 grs total) marinated

·        2 cups of nopal, tomato and onion

·        1 glass of coke.

Note: There are a lot of unaccounted nuts and peanuts all over these two days.

I went to sleep at 22:20 hrs.

Note: What a horrible night… I think I´m a bit stressed. My girlfriend is doing better, but now her mother has the symptoms too. I really had trouble to sleep. The last time I checked the clock before falling asleep it was almost 2 AM. I haven’t had a full night of sleep for 3 days. Monday´s routine is an unwelcome thought.

------------------------------------------------

I´m hoping to sleep earlier today. This has been a very hectic weekend: Dengue fever, layoffs, paperwork for the house we are buying. I didn´t do a good job keeping track of what I eat. Also I didn´t study as I planned. I really have to step up my game. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines