The Elysian Knights ride again!

When I picked up that 45-pound bar and did overhead presses with it (Tuesday). My trainer didn't think I could do it, he figured I'd manage a few and then work with 30 pounds. I did 2x12 with no problem and then managed 2x9 for the next 2 sets... but I did it. When 2 weeks ago I couldn't do even one set with 40 pounds.

My goal is to increase strength, and I'm seeing the numbers going up. That is incredibly exciting!

I get by with a little help from my friends. ~ John Lennon / Paul McCartney

Fall down seven times, get up eight. ~ Japanese proverb

Is everyone in this group following each other's challenge threads?  If not I think we should.  We're hear to cheer each other on, right?  lol  Also, some people chimed in on their biggest success so far in the challenge.  How about now, answer with your biggest struggle so far in the challenge?

My biggest struggle has been a lot of little things I think, not just one big one.  For example, I had a lot of reservations about why riding my bike around wasn't going to be successful.  Feeling tired from not sleeping enough has been a challenge with being too hungry and not energetic or positive enough.  Getting distracted with creating a really good record-keeping system has been keeping me from meditating the last 3 days.  Coffee makes me crazy and makes me have yucky crashes, but I keep drinking it.  Just random stuff like that.  You guys?

When I picked up that 45-pound bar and did overhead presses with it (Tuesday). My trainer didn't think I could do it, he figured I'd manage a few and then work with 30 pounds. I did 2x12 with no problem and then managed 2x9 for the next 2 sets... but I did it. When 2 weeks ago I couldn't do even one set with 40 pounds.

My goal is to increase strength, and I'm seeing the numbers going up. That is incredibly exciting!

Way to go!!!  There is something so awesome about doing something we or other people don't think we can do.  :)

Is everyone in this group following each other's challenge threads?  If not I think we should.  We're hear to cheer each other on, right?  lol  Also, some people chimed in on their biggest success so far in the challenge.  How about now, answer with your biggest struggle so far in the challenge?

My biggest struggle has been a lot of little things I think, not just one big one.  For example, I had a lot of reservations about why riding my bike around wasn't going to be successful.  Feeling tired from not sleeping enough has been a challenge with being too hungry and not energetic or positive enough.  Getting distracted with creating a really good record-keeping system has been keeping me from meditating the last 3 days.  Coffee makes me crazy and makes me have yucky crashes, but I keep drinking it.  Just random stuff like that.  You guys?

-ish on the following everyone's challenge threads; I confess that I'm still figuring out the forum interface, so I'm always playing catch-up. LOL, and sometimes my tired li'l T-Rex arms don't even want to surf!

I hear you on the 'being hungry' thing. I start eating breakfast and doing strength workouts, and suddenly I'm RAVENOUS. All the time. It's shocking! I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem getting enough sleep... do you have insomnia issues? And if you do... coffee is not your friend. :-/

Heh, meditation... it's hard to calm the squirrel down enough to do "traditional" meditation. I was out picking berries yesterday though, with the sun shining between the clouds and the breeze blowing over me, and there was a moment when an enormous flock of starlings flew over me, just above the shrubs I was crouched among. I heard their wings beating the air, heard the air slipping between their primaries, saw the sky darken from their numbers... and if that's not a meditation, I don't know what is. Is there any kind of an "active" meditation that you can do, when instead of sitting and trying to force stillness you just focus on ironing or berry-picking and BE in that moment?

-ish on the following everyone's challenge threads; I confess that I'm still figuring out the forum interface, so I'm always playing catch-up. LOL, and sometimes my tired li'l T-Rex arms don't even want to surf!

I hear you on the 'being hungry' thing. I start eating breakfast and doing strength workouts, and suddenly I'm RAVENOUS. All the time. It's shocking! I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem getting enough sleep... do you have insomnia issues? And if you do... coffee is not your friend. :-/

Heh, meditation... it's hard to calm the squirrel down enough to do "traditional" meditation. I was out picking berries yesterday though, with the sun shining between the clouds and the breeze blowing over me, and there was a moment when an enormous flock of starlings flew over me, just above the shrubs I was crouched among. I heard their wings beating the air, heard the air slipping between their primaries, saw the sky darken from their numbers... and if that's not a meditation, I don't know what is. Is there any kind of an "active" meditation that you can do, when instead of sitting and trying to force stillness you just focus on ironing or berry-picking and BE in that moment?

I have a form of insomnia called...children!  Mine are 3 and 4, and the 4 year old has a brain injury, which sometimes causes her sleep disturbances.  Her sister also wakes up randomly at night, just coming into my room for water, because she had a bad dream, etc.  The other night I awoke at 2am to an ear-splitting shriek, ran to "save" her, and she was already back asleep.  My heart pounded for half an hour before I could fall back asleep.  Just fun stuff like that.

I only do one kind of meditation called Falun Dafa (also called Falun Gong).  It's a form of Qigong from China.  All the info about it is free on the website, FalunDafa.org.  They do not have the kind of meditation you are talking about, but many of the concepts in the books are about having that kind of awareness and connection in your everyday life, and being present enough to feel like that.  You sound like me.  I find wonder and mystery in everything. :)

Is everyone in this group following each other's challenge threads? If not I think we should. We're hear to cheer each other on, right? lol Also, some people chimed in on their biggest success so far in the challenge. How about now, answer with your biggest struggle so far in the challenge?

My biggest struggle has been a lot of little things I think, not just one big one. For example, I had a lot of reservations about why riding my bike around wasn't going to be successful. Feeling tired from not sleeping enough has been a challenge with being too hungry and not energetic or positive enough. Getting distracted with creating a really good record-keeping system has been keeping me from meditating the last 3 days. Coffee makes me crazy and makes me have yucky crashes, but I keep drinking it. Just random stuff like that. You guys?

I know I vanished there for a few days but I'm catching up now.

I am following everyone's threads but I don't always comment if I don't have anything useful to add.

I almost did a full pull up today and started doing dips without foot support so I am very pleased with that. On the downside, I missed several workouts this week while everything was insane.

You seem very energetic on here :-)

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I know I vanished there for a few days but I'm catching up now. I am following everyone's threads but I don't always comment if I don't have anything useful to add. I almost did a full pull up today and started doing dips without foot support so I am very pleased with that. On the downside, I missed several workouts this week while everything was insane. You seem very energetic on here :-)

I'm trying to rally up the team!  Let's make the most of our group.  Also, I do tend to be pretty darn excitable.  :P  Nice job on the progress!  You are miles away from anything I can do.  But one day!

Mmmmm.  Sounds great.  I realized a while back that most veggies taste good with butter, garlic and Parmesan.  This recipe takes that to a new level.  I have all the ingredients if I can substitute sweet onions for shallots.

Checking in:

Exercise: A or A-.  On Sunday I just did a 20 minute walk and some dancing.  Saturday I did a lot of gardening and mowed the back yard.  I am counting digging holes with a spade as upper body work and planting things or pulling weeds as squats.  Not quite "exercise" but several hours of hard physical work using lots of muscles.  I want to see how far I can get in six weeks with the upper body program.  I am not nearly as sore as I was the first couple times and I can see some definition in my upper arms.

Sleep: B.  I have only had two nights with 8+ hours of sleep in the last 7 days.  One was last night.  Amazing how much more cheerful I am at work with 8 hours of sleep.  I have to keep reminding myself of that when I want to get one more thing done at 9:30pm.

Veggies: B+.  I've eaten veggies every day.  Some days not quite as much as I'd like.  I need to devote more time to cooking them.  I found that veggies for breakfast are pretty good.  Weird, but tasty.

I have a big event this coming weekend that will be a challenge in several ways.  My dojo is hosting a seminar by one of the most senior American aikidoists (Mary Heiny).  She has taught here before and is a great person.  I'll get plenty of exercise.  That's not the hard part.  I volunteered to host the Saturday night potluck at my house.  My senseis are hosting the guest instructor and she wants to get plenty of rest.  This will be the first big party at my house since we moved in last fall.  I'm using it as motivation to put things away, hang the art on the walls and find homes for the random stuff in addition to the usual cleaning and potluck cooking.

Any suggestions for easy crock-pot main dishes?  I would like to provide one vegetarian and one carnivore hot food option.  Pulled pork is easy, but not friendly to too many of the meat eaters.  I want to avoid soup or chili so that people do not have to balance bowls on paper plates.  I will need to do all the prep cooking on Friday.

Thanks!

How did the party go?

Two weeks down, beginning Week 3, my Knights! Keep up the good work and/or resolve to do better.

Me, I'm getting stronger. The numbers don't lie. I may have pushed my bad right ankle too far in running for a warmup yesterday, so for the rest of the week I'm limiting myself to the rowing machine or the bicycle... and I'm not doing the walking today that I might otherwise have done. It doesn't hurt, I'm just kind of... aware of it. :P

Two weeks down, beginning Week 3, my Knights! Keep up the good work and/or resolve to do better.

Me, I'm getting stronger. The numbers don't lie. I may have pushed my bad right ankle too far in running for a warmup yesterday, so for the rest of the week I'm limiting myself to the rowing machine or the bicycle... and I'm not doing the walking today that I might otherwise have done. It doesn't hurt, I'm just kind of... aware of it. :P

Eek, careful with the ankle!

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

How did the party go?

The party went really well.  Now we have a clean house!  I posted more about it on my challenge log, along with checking in for the week.  I made salsa verde, tomato salsa and cabbage salad with apples and craisins.  My partner made chili - two crockpots, with and without meat.  One of the guests also brought a crockpot of chili. I have been having chili for breakfast.  It is surprisingly good on cool mornings. 

Lessons learned: 

- move the dining room table a couple feet so the buffet is more accessible.

- buy bottled fizzy water.

- buy one big bag of ice for each cooler

- buy some beer and wine to start the party.  People brought plenty, but not the first people to arrive.

- leave space around the papasan so that when someone overbalances it won't knock anything over.

- my partner is right about no one noticing if the floor is really clean once the party starts.

This is the first really big potluck I've hosted.  I was on the board of our local dance group for several years.  We had potluck suppers before the board meetings.  It was very simple to provide a main dish and beverages for eight people.  We've also had fairly large parties where the guests were not requested to bring anything.  Many people will bring something anyway, but I know to cover all the bases.  I'm very pleased with how it went.

Yesterday was the first day in the challenge that I completely missed working out.  I did not have enough time over lunch so I resolved to do my upper body routine when I got home.  I'm giving myself a C instead of an F because I spent an hour or more pulling weeds in the garden.  This resembles doing a bear walk except there is no weight on my hands.  The previous owners of the house were clearly not into gardening, but someone prior to them was.  The back has lovely beds and a rock garden that were overgrown with weeds.  The back corner was full of 6 foot ragweed and lambsquarters so thick that it hid a trash bin.  I've been beating it back since spring.  We had rain on Sunday and I wanted to take advantage of the moist soil to pull weeds while it was easy.  I got one big section done and felt very good about it.  Another hour or two and it will be in good shape.

I stopped at the farmer's market on the way home to get veggies for a work picnic potluck that is happening today.  My plan was to make brocolli salad until I saw all the cucumbers at 5 for $1.  Apparently it is a bumper year for cucumbers.  The cherry tomatos are also in season.  I'm a sucker for the mixed baskets of multicolored cherry tomatos.  I have one plant in my garden and it has nice orange cherry tomatos.  That is enough to put a few on a salad.  I am cheating and calling these vegetables when they are really fruit.  I had tomato salad with fresh mozarella and basil for supper.  I made cucumber salad with sliced plums and mango with a honey-lemon vinagrette for the potluck.  I'll make brocolli salad with bacon and raisins for us to eat later this week.

After all the weeding and cooking I was out of time.  I also discovered that one of the potatos in the bag I bought last weekend had already gone bad in an evil slimy way.  I washed the rest of the potatos with bleach.  It seems like there is always an extra task like this that has to be done before I go to bed or instead of sitting and relaxing for 20 minutes.  I kept looking at my choices for the evening and came to the conclusion that for me right now, working in the garden = goofing off.  Go figure.

How have things been going for you?

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I stopped at the farmer's market on the way home to get veggies for a work picnic potluck that is happening today. My plan was to make brocolli salad until I saw all the cucumbers at 5 for $1. Apparently it is a bumper year for cucumbers. The cherry tomatos are also in season. I'm a sucker for the mixed baskets of multicolored cherry tomatos. I have one plant in my garden and it has nice orange cherry tomatos. That is enough to put a few on a salad. I am cheating and calling these vegetables when they are really fruit. I had tomato salad with fresh mozarella and basil for supper. I made cucumber salad with sliced plums and mango with a honey-lemon vinagrette for the potluck. I'll make brocolli salad with bacon and raisins for us to eat later this week.

Your salads sound delicious! You're kicking the ass off that goal. And there are much worse ways to kill time than working in the garden :-)

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

The cherry tomatos are also in season.  I'm a sucker for the mixed baskets of multicolored cherry tomatos.  I have one plant in my garden and it has nice orange cherry tomatos.  That is enough to put a few on a salad.  I am cheating and calling these vegetables when they are really fruit.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad!

Me, I'm getting stronger. The numbers don't lie. I may have pushed my bad right ankle too far in running for a warmup yesterday, so for the rest of the week I'm limiting myself to the rowing machine or the bicycle... and I'm not doing the walking today that I might otherwise have done. It doesn't hurt, I'm just kind of... aware of it. :tongue:

Woo hoo!!  I have a sore ankle and tailbone.  It's hard to stay off of them and not exercise!!!  But maybe we just need to come up with some alternate things that don't bother them.  It sounds like you already have some for ideas for yourself.  :)

The party went really well.  Now we have a clean house!  I posted more about it on my challenge log, along with checking in for the week.  I made salsa verde, tomato salsa and cabbage salad with apples and craisins.  My partner made chili - two crockpots, with and without meat.  One of the guests also brought a crockpot of chili. I have been having chili for breakfast.  It is surprisingly good on cool mornings. 

Lessons learned: 

- move the dining room table a couple feet so the buffet is more accessible.

- buy bottled fizzy water.

- buy one big bag of ice for each cooler

- buy some beer and wine to start the party.  People brought plenty, but not the first people to arrive.

- leave space around the papasan so that when someone overbalances it won't knock anything over.

- my partner is right about no one noticing if the floor is really clean once the party starts.

This is the first really big potluck I've hosted.  I was on the board of our local dance group for several years.  We had potluck suppers before the board meetings.  It was very simple to provide a main dish and beverages for eight people.  We've also had fairly large parties where the guests were not requested to bring anything.  Many people will bring something anyway, but I know to cover all the bases.  I'm very pleased with how it went.

Yesterday was the first day in the challenge that I completely missed working out.  I did not have enough time over lunch so I resolved to do my upper body routine when I got home.  I'm giving myself a C instead of an F because I spent an hour or more pulling weeds in the garden.  This resembles doing a bear walk except there is no weight on my hands.  The previous owners of the house were clearly not into gardening, but someone prior to them was.  The back has lovely beds and a rock garden that were overgrown with weeds.  The back corner was full of 6 foot ragweed and lambsquarters so thick that it hid a trash bin.  I've been beating it back since spring.  We had rain on Sunday and I wanted to take advantage of the moist soil to pull weeds while it was easy.  I got one big section done and felt very good about it.  Another hour or two and it will be in good shape.

I stopped at the farmer's market on the way home to get veggies for a work picnic potluck that is happening today.  My plan was to make brocolli salad until I saw all the cucumbers at 5 for $1.  Apparently it is a bumper year for cucumbers.  The cherry tomatos are also in season.  I'm a sucker for the mixed baskets of multicolored cherry tomatos.  I have one plant in my garden and it has nice orange cherry tomatos.  That is enough to put a few on a salad.  I am cheating and calling these vegetables when they are really fruit.  I had tomato salad with fresh mozarella and basil for supper.  I made cucumber salad with sliced plums and mango with a honey-lemon vinagrette for the potluck.  I'll make brocolli salad with bacon and raisins for us to eat later this week.

After all the weeding and cooking I was out of time.  I also discovered that one of the potatos in the bag I bought last weekend had already gone bad in an evil slimy way.  I washed the rest of the potatos with bleach.  It seems like there is always an extra task like this that has to be done before I go to bed or instead of sitting and relaxing for 20 minutes.  I kept looking at my choices for the evening and came to the conclusion that for me right now, working in the garden = goofing off.  Go figure.

How have things been going for you?

That's awesome!  Things are going awesome for me, thanks!

Alright, I thought of a new question for you guys.  Have you learned anything new about yourself during this challenge?

I have learned that I am really good at riding a bike, and much more confident and less afraid and weak than I thought!

I also learned how many calories I actually eat when left to my own devices, and what its like to eat the right amount.  :)

Alright, I thought of a new question for you guys.  Have you learned anything new about yourself during this challenge?

I have learned that I am really good at riding a bike, and much more confident and less afraid and weak than I thought!

I also learned how many calories I actually eat when left to my own devices, and what its like to eat the right amount.  :)

Good question. :)  Those are great things to discover about yourself!

I have learned that I feel much better when I eat more veggies.  I already knew that telling myself I could not have a particular food was counterproductive.  If I can't have chocolate I don't want to be part of your revolution.  I found that I crave carbs much less and can easily pass up junk food when I am eating lots of veggies.  I am also eating a fair bit of fruit.  I'm eating less overall.  Not on purpose, that is just how things have worked out.  In order to make my goal of 2 cups or more of veggies a day that does not leave a lot of room for other stuff.  I'm not going to weigh myself again until the end of the challenge.  I'm curious to see how everything works out.

I also found I really like the "just add one more rep" approach to making progress.  It gives me motivation to see how far I can get each time.  Dividing my routine into legs, core and upper body is also helping.  I am much more willing to do a 20-30 minute workout every day than a 45-minute one a few times a week.  Apparently the line between "not very much time" and "takes too long" is at 30 minutes for me.

Applying the game model really works for me, but that is probably true of everyone here.  I've been doing Spanish lessons on CD during my commute.  I realized earlier this week that I am treating it as a game.  The objective is to give the response with the same words as the native speaker.  I want to see if I can apply the make-it-a-game approach to other things.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Good question. :)  Those are great things to discover about yourself!

I have learned that I feel much better when I eat more veggies.  I already knew that telling myself I could not have a particular food was counterproductive.  If I can't have chocolate I don't want to be part of your revolution.  I found that I crave carbs much less and can easily pass up junk food when I am eating lots of veggies.  I am also eating a fair bit of fruit.  I'm eating less overall.  Not on purpose, that is just how things have worked out.  In order to make my goal of 2 cups or more of veggies a day that does not leave a lot of room for other stuff.  I'm not going to weigh myself again until the end of the challenge.  I'm curious to see how everything works out.

I also found I really like the "just add one more rep" approach to making progress.  It gives me motivation to see how far I can get each time.  Dividing my routine into legs, core and upper body is also helping.  I am much more willing to do a 20-30 minute workout every day than a 45-minute one a few times a week.  Apparently the line between "not very much time" and "takes too long" is at 30 minutes for me.

Applying the game model really works for me, but that is probably true of everyone here.  I've been doing Spanish lessons on CD during my commute.  I realized earlier this week that I am treating it as a game.  The objective is to give the response with the same words as the native speaker.  I want to see if I can apply the make-it-a-game approach to other things.

I'm so glad you posted this!  I have been trying and failing a lot recently to try and eat fewer calories.  I just seem to be incapable of it!  But I'm not giving up or anything.  I just need to figure out what works for me.  And eating more vegetables would be a great start.  So I'm going to see if I can eat 2 cups of vegetables before I eat anything else, every time!  That wil definitely make me think twice about snacking, and if I do decide to snack, the veggies will probably fill me up too much to have anything else.  lol  So thanks for mentioning your vegetable-eating.  It may just really work for me.  :)

I really like everything else you said too.  Pretty much all of it applies to me to, but in slightly different amounts and such.  Self-awareness can make things so much easier.  Something you've struggled with forever can suddenly become easy when we finally figure out why we are doing it, or something else equally simple that we always missed before.

What have I learned? Hmmm...

I've learned that lifting *is* meditation for me; it relaxes me, I breathe and count reps and focus on form. I've learned that I should probably add more stretching to my routines, because I just don't feel as flexible and I know I've been neglecting that - so maybe I should add some yoga?

I've also learned that the 80/20 ratio is a good one for me and doesn't leave me feeling deprived.

I've learned a heckuva lot in 3 short weeks, come to think on it! Good question.

Good question :-) that I'm answering somewhat late...

I'm learning to be less all-or-nothing and compromise some wrt workouts. Problem weeks like week 2 may have previously ended in taking weeks off instead of missing one workout and rescheduling another due to travel. That being said, it still took a very stressed out Skype call with Techmom to settle it.

I'm also learning to stress less about the scale number. I made the decision to try a bulk while working on strength training and still freaked out when the scale number started going up.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines