The Elysian Knights ride again!

On eating... breakfast is still a challenge. You'd think a GOOD habit would be easier to stick to. However, remembering to eat breakfast 90% of the time is still LOTS better than none of the time, so I'll call that an A. Eating a piece of fruit early and then more breakfast later has worked very well for me.

My week home really screwed up my regular strength workouts; also, it turned out that while I was beating myself up mentally for not being able to improve on the weights I was lifting, my trainer was increasing the weights WITHOUT TELLING ME (believing instead that I might have a mental block about it). My biceps/triceps, shoulders (and, my husband tells me, my back) have all gotten more defined and the weights have gone up, so even if I can't Hulk-out just yet I *did* increase my strength. Soon, deadlifts! SOON. Plus I was still working on form, and the better that gets the more weight I can push later. A.

The extra/aerobic workouts fell right apart when I went home to NB; I walked the kilometre to my parents' house several times but my parents dislike that for some reason (and I am not fond of it in the evenings myself; they live in the deep woods and there are bears. Yup, wild black bears including a momma who I'd REALLLY rather not meet!). It was easier to just let them give me a ride home. B overall, because other than that I was on the rowing machine even when my ankle was giving me grief.

Finally, I want to get back into judo so I'm emailing the sensei of a local dojo later today (I'm a little nervous so I keep editing the email!) to introduce myself and ask about the judo schedule. If the fees include the jiu-jitsu classes then maybe I'll learn some of that as well.

Kudos to all the Knights for sticking with it!

Cool, let us know what the Jiu Jitsu is like.  I am curious.  Also, I love your PT stories.  He sounds great.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

While it was not one of my goals, I was hoping that eating healthier and getting more sleep and exercise would have a side effect of losing weight.  Nope.  I've lost half a pound in six weeks.  That is within the error range for my scale.  On the other hand, I can see a difference when I look in the mirror.  My pants fit better and my waist measurement has gone down 1.5 inches.  I am thinking about having "no sweets at work" as one of my goals for next time.  I hardly ever snack at home.  I am not emotionally ready to try full Paleo.  I do want to try cutting out dairy for short stretches to see if it makes a difference in how I feel.

Seeing the difference is more important than the number.  You're probably gaining muscle mass and losing fat. 

Ouch, not sweets at work is so blasted hard.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I really want to stay on this team too.  You guys are awesome!!!  What guild is everyone joining?  I want to be a druid.  :D

I am really glad that you all want to stay together as a team. 

I'm thinking about being a monk.  I don't know if that is actually a good fit.  I love aikido and do it consistently.  At this point it is part of my normal life, not a goal.  Maybe getting better at it could be considered a goal.  One of the reasons I like it so much is that there is always room for improvement.  I just don't see how I could quantify keeping focus on my partner, blending smoothly with my partner's movements, staying relaxed through the whole movement...  All those things that take it from "technique" to "art".  I am past the stage of learning new techniques aside from a few more weapons katas.  I am going to keep doing the same things at practice regardless of any "challenges".

I want to do more bodyweight and strength training to improve my overall fitness.  If I do the moves correctly in aikido all the energy should be coming from my partners :playful: .  That means my only exercise is in falling down and getting up.  Maybe the Adventurers would be a better fit for the next challenge?  What do you think?

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Ouch, not sweets at work is so blasted hard.

Gum helped me a lot; not that I ate a lot of sweets at work, but I *must* fidget with something. I have to be careful though, because I chew vigorously when I'm thinking hard and one time I bit my tongue so hard that I could NOT stop the bleeding. Tongues are very wriggly, did you know that?

Gum is a good alternative, but safety first! be careful what you chew. ;)

I get by with a little help from my friends. ~ John Lennon / Paul McCartney

Fall down seven times, get up eight. ~ Japanese proverb

I've been thinking about what I want to do in the next challenge. I've got most of it worked out, but, as before, I still need to come up with a third sub-quest.

Main quest: Still to maintain healthiness, keep my blood sugar low, and lose some weight.

Sub-quests:

1) I apparently haven't been doing 'real' chin-ups, since my doorframe isn't tall enough for that. With the new outside workout spot, and some decent weather, I'm hoping I can work on those enough to be able to do sets of 3 of them.

2) My push-ups are kinda pitiful right now. I know I can do better. I aim to be able to do sets of 10 of those.

3) I'm really not sure what to do with the third one. I already walk about 6 hours a week and exercise 2 hours a week. I don't have the time to do more of either, so it's got to be something that can fit not my workout schedule.

Life quest: I need to make sure I keep my finances under control, and one of my biggest is food. I'm going to try to track my food costs and keep them under 70 dollars a week, averaged over the six weeks. I'm not entirely sure this is realistic, but reducing my costs even a little will help.

Any ideas what I could try for a third sub-quest?

Pat

Hello all, sorry I'm largely absent right now but work has eaten my life. Again.  I started the team for the next challenge.

Main sign up sheet is here https://docs.google.com/a/nerdfitness.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHBINmhiRlpvdE12d1E4ci1rdG5HRnc6MA#gid=0

Team sign up is here on the cross guild tab https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdHFDcDhISGQ2QUdLc3FDVjg1NHlmeUE#gid=7

Post your challenge to your new guild forum here http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/forum/298-current-challenge-september-16-october-27th/

and drop into the next team thread here http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/36789-elysian-knights-team-thread/

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines