Leeyore :: Punching through my brick walls

L33yore

I made it through my first challenge. It went so-so. A couple of vacations and an injured knee derailed me. My knee is still hurting, but I should be free to work on my goals for the whole time, save part of the last week.

These goals represent walls that I seem not to be able to break easily. My rebellion continues as I apply some metaphorical dynamite for some literal results.

Main Quest: Get stronger!

I want to have fun wrestling with my kids and be attractive to my wife. Plus, I like being strong.

1. Push ups and planks 3 times a week.(STR 4)
    3450266008_10a488442d.jpg
    1. I am trying to either do 40 incline push up or 65 regular push ups. Consistency will help me get there.
    2. Plan: work out MWF, Log workouts in spreadsheet
    3. Grading: A - miss 2 or less, B - miss 4 or less, C - miss 6 or less, D - miss 8 or less, F- miss 8 or more

2. Pack my lunch for work 2 times per week (CON 4)
    5862106978_5ac66e54b8.jpg
    1. I have to stop eating out so much. It is hard to eat primal/paleo when only dining out for lunch.
    2. Plan: bring lunch Tuesdays and Wednesdays
    3. Grading: A: 0 - 2 missed; B: 3 - 4 missed; C: 5 - 6 missed; D: 7 - 8 missed; F: 9 or more  missed;

3. Sleep 7.5 to 8 7 hours a weeknight (STA 4)
    2736241796_dae01ec8fb.jpg
    1. I keep running out of steam during the day. And I wake up not so happy.
      1. Goal modified based on first week results. (edit 8/9/13)
    2. Plan: Change my alarm reminders to point out this goal. Log sleeping in spreadsheet.
    3. Grading: A: 0 - 4 missed; B: 5 - 9 missed; C: 10 - 14 missed; D: 15 - 19 missed; F: 20 or more

Life Quest: Memorize 1 Peter 3:17 - 4 (WIS 3)

1206462482_4ef3a2b363.jpg

1. Mental and spriritual exercise rolled into one!
  2. Plan: Using 3x5 note cards, memorize 1 verse per day during commute
  3. Grading: A: finished; B: missing up to 3 vss; C: missing up to 5 vss; D: missing up to 7 vss; F: missing more than 8 vss

My Motivation: Fulfill the potential God has given me. Honor His gift.

l33yore :: Human Ranger :: Level 3

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 3 WIS: 5.5 CHA: 3.25

challenges: current 2 1 | intro

a christ follower / a husband and father, too / and i do some work

It's good to be back focusing on a few goals. Working on a few areas seem to help me structure the rest of my life.

1. Knocked out 30 incline pushups in 3 sets. 3 30 second planks. Found out that I have injured the cartilage behind both of my knee caps. I get to find a place for PT and get to it. Strengthen the quads to relieve pain.
  2. Didn't pack my lunch for today. And I ate a big hambuger ... with the buns!!!! Need to position myself to do better.
  3. In bed for 7.5 hours. Woke up twice because my daughter doesn't want to be alone when she wakes up. She's not scared, just doesn't want to be lonely. Working with her will be key to getting this goal met.
  4. I wrote out my next set of scripture memory cards. Should begin either today or tomorrow.

Anybody else missing cartilage behind their knee caps? Are you able to do squats? I still have hopes of doing a weight training program like StrongLifts.

Keeping on keeping on.

1. Added 1 rep to all three sets. Added 2 seconds to two of the planks.
  2. Pretty much failing on this one. I think the first thing I need to do is setup some reminders for Monday and Tuesday evenings.
  3. I am staying pretty close to my goal on this one. However, I am learning that I might do better on 7 hours than 7.5 - 8 hours. Maybe I need to go up to 8.5 or 9 if I want to sleep longer. I keep waking up groggy in the 7.5 - 8 hour range.
  4. I tried reciting what I had memorized during the last 6wkc, and I needed some look ups before I stopped at about 3:8. Need to practice the old stuff and add some new. Get the brain gears moving.

Decided to only update on Friday's ... I always end up spending too much time lurking on the forums.

1. I did some push ups Wednesday morning. The inclines are hurting my left knee. Back to regular push ups ... or something like renegade rows.
  2. I brought my lunch on Tuesday! Something of a success!
  3. I have shifted to going for around 7 hours a night. I think measuring my sleep for the first few days was informative. I felt worse waking up when I got more then 7 hours in. Goal modified.
  4. I was able to spruce up on chapter 1, 2 and 3 through 16. I have made it to verse 19 today.

On the knee front: I saw a PT for an evaluation yesterday. She showed me some exercises that I'll be doing to strengthen my quads. The cartilage behind my right knee cap on the femur is worn because my interior quad isn't strong enough to keep my knee cap centered. The cartilage on the backside of my left knee is slightly damaged from a hyperextension years ago, and apparently I aggravated it 2 months ago. I told her my goal was to be able to do a serious weight lifting program involving squats and DL's. She told I shouldn't ever go below parallel. Most of her advice and analysis seems spot on, but I've read many places that going below parallel is the way to go. Perhaps I will have to work up to it ... or re-evaluate my current thoughts.

Missed my update last week. Just forgot to log it. With that said, I haven't been too successful. So, maybe I forgot on purpose.

1. Haven't been doing my push ups and planks. I know I can do the renegade rows without bothering my knees and those are what I need to get back on track with.
  2. ... sucking it up here. I think I've already earned an F. I'm at a point where I realize I need more focus on my diet than just bringing my lunch. I've lost focus on eating Primal.
  3. Doing well here. I'm sleeping close to my target most nights. I would like to start going to be earlier though. This is one of the reasons I'm missing on goal 1 - I wake up too late to do a 5 minute workout and cook breakfast.
  4. Slowly plugging along. I continue to refresh on chapters 1-3. I am up to verse 7 in chapter 4.

I have been doing knee PT at home and at the rehab center. I am seeing progress in the amount of pain I experience. Woohoo! I have a goal of getting back to strength training, and I am still firmly set on it. Just need my body to cooperate a bit. Also, my back has been hurting from slouching. I have a sit/stand desk, and I've put it up for standing. This is definitely helping relieve the pain. It seems like I kind of took an emotional punch to the stomach when my knees starting hurting, which has undermined all of my health related activities. I fall into the thought pattern of 'I'm weak and can't do anything I want to, so I won't do the things I can do.' I am slowly fighting those thoughts and getting back on track.

For the rebellion!

Well, that was not a totally successful challenge. But it was still successful. Between starting allergy shots and physical therapy, and taking another vacation, my thoughts and priorities ended up being elsewhere, compared to when I started this challenge.

Here's my grading:

1. Pretty much got an F. No strength points awarded.

2. I'm realizing my diet has slid considerably. This goal and the previous one were derailed when I couldn't use my knees effectively ... lead me to think it wasn't worth the effort to stay healthy if I couldn't do it the way I wanted to. LIE! Mental toughness was not something I exercised. I get to next time. No constitution points awarded.

3. My sleep goal turned out pretty well. Going with a C, which means 2 stamina points awarded. I tried to log my sleep, and did alright, but it wasn't complete.

4. Not sure what happened here. But I lost my drive and only made it through 4:9. Probably had a lot to do with my need to rehash chapters 1-3. No wisdom points awarded.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines