• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan's Six week challenge - Part 2

Hello fellow Monks!

This is my second try at doing what I wanted to the first time.  Is that as confusing as it sounds?

In my first 6 week challenge, I was able to make progress trying to reach my goals but I wasn't as consistent as I wanted to be.  My kicks have improved somewhat but I have a long way to go.  

The link below is my past 6 week challenge and what I did:

http://nerdfitnessre...week-challenge/

Here are my goals for the next six weeks:

These goals are a little less specific and more general.  Like Bruce Lee said â€œIts like a finger pointing away to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.â€

Be consistent with my dedicated glute & core workout:

I made some solid progress in the previous six weeks but I didn't workout enough.  I had a lot of things get in the way of my workouts, including a trip to South Carolina and competing in the USA Karate nationals.   My main goal is consistent training am I going with a handful of movements this time and I would like to do at least one set of a glute and a core exercise at least five days a week.  I have found that doing some every day is going a long way at helping me improve.  Even if I am doing only farmers walks, I want to get my glutes in gear!

Isometric leg raises at least 4 days a week:

I have started doing a simple drill in the bathroom at work. Keep your minds out of the gutter!  I am holding each leg up to the side for 30 seconds at least once a day and also holding it to the rear for 30 seconds or doing sets of 12 reps of back leg raises while standing.  If anyone doesn't understand my description please ask and I will take pictures or make a video to demonstrate it.  These simple movements seem to be working based on a side thrust kick that I had to demonstrate while I was teaching last week.  

Stop wasting time:

This is a long term goal but one that I want to improve at.  I am wasting too much time surfing Facebook or doing other time wasters that are not helping me reach my goals.  Every minute that I waste is a minute that I do not have to use toward my personal goals.  On a goal tracking website that I belong to, I have a goal of writing 25 words each day for my blogs, books or journal and even though I have done very well at it, those 25 words per day aren't adding up to much and they are not helping me reach my business or personal success goals.  Instead of 25 words per day, I am going to aim for 500 words per week.  This is still a small amount but I want to set the target low enough that I can do it but high enough that it will make me waste less time and spend more time working toward my goal of becoming a writer.

A secondary part of this goal is to get my Karate book ready to publish because with the time I wasted, I could have had this book done and the second and thirst almost complete already.  I am not sure if six weeks is enough time to complete book, the text is 75% done and pictures are 0% done but it's nice to have this out in public for all of you to hold me accountable.  

Like last time, I am sure that I have some tweaks along the way and will update this whenever I do.

I hope I didn't babble too much.  A nasty headache from yesterday is still hanging on but I wanted to make sure that I put this out here sooner than later.

Doug

First workout 7/23/13

Kettle bell swings - 2 x 25 x 12 - I really need a bigger kettle bell.

Single leg glute raise - 1 x 10 each leg - hamstrings cramped on both legs - elevated on bosu.

Pushups - 20 - disc in my neck is talking to me and I only did 20 to keep it from yelling.

Lying pullover - 2 x 20 x 12 - need to go heavier.

One arm kettle bell row - 25 x 12 each arm - need to go heavier.

Overhead kettle bell press - 20 x 12

Farmers walk - 2 x 150 steps with 20 pounds in one hand and 25 in the other.  I switched the weights in my hands for the second set. Way too light!!! 

I did the side and rear leg raises at work today.

I also wrote for my one Karate blog today.  I need to count the words though.

You must have bigger bathrooms at your work than at there are at mine. :P

Good luck with your challenges. I think that 'stop time wasting' is one I could use too.

I hear you on the time wasting issues! I have a goal in this area this time round as well, so I'll be checking in on you for this for sure.

Shotokan! It´s great to have you back! 

Core and glutes. Months ago I wasn´t even considering those when thinking about getting stronger. Even if little by little, I have made small changes to include those into my routines and I have felt some very positive feedback, so many thanks to you. =D.

Oh, time wasting is one of the bigger problems with using internet! Using time well is a worthy goal to pursuit!

Welcome back! I'd totally forgot about holding legs out to the side for kicks. That will definitely build those tendons up and make the connection much stronger. I need to start doing that again.

Good to have you back! And remember: if you can't get a heavier bell, then just swing it some more. If you can't up the weight, then you can up the repetitions for sure.

Thanks everyone!

The wasting time thing is a huge issue for me.  For some reason, over the last 6 to 8 years, I notice that I can waste huge amounts of time.  Back around 2006, I had many more things happening with home, work, training and many other things and I was still able to get everything done but now it seems that I cannot get anything done and I have nothing to show for many hours in the day.  I am starting to wonder if the world of video games and the internet has given me a form of ADD.  I find my mind moving at a million miles a minute and even while typing this, I thought about six other things.

I have found that focus sound websites like https://www.focusatwill.com/music/#player can help me concentrate on the task I am working on but I can't listen to it all day because the same music, over and over, gets old.

You must have bigger bathrooms at your work than at there are at mine. :tongue:

Good luck with your challenges. I think that 'stop time wasting' is one I could use too.

It is a private bathroom has about 3 feet by 6 feet of usable space.  There were more than a few times that I kicked the garbage can or the wall.

I hear you on the time wasting issues! I have a goal in this area this time round as well, so I'll be checking in on you for this for sure.

I will check in on you also.  Maybe we can figure this time wasting thing out if we all pull together. 

Shotokan! It´s great to have you back! 

Core and glutes. Months ago I wasn´t even considering those when thinking about getting stronger. Even if little by little, I have made small changes to include those into my routines and I have felt some very positive feedback, so many thanks to you. =D.

Oh, time wasting is one of the bigger problems with using internet! Using time well is a worthy goal to pursuit!

Thanks!

I have certainly noticed an improvement in my glute engagement which has also helped my posture.  Just a couple months ago, when I would punch, I would not drive from the hips or glutes and I ended up leaning forward to use power from my chest.  Since I have been focusing on the posterior chain, I can get my hips under my punches, keep my body upright and hit a heck of a lot harder.  I still need much more work but the little that I have done so far has really helped a lot.

Welcome back! I'd totally forgot about holding legs out to the side for kicks. That will definitely build those tendons up and make the connection much stronger. I need to start doing that again.

Good to have you back! And remember: if you can't get a heavier bell, then just swing it some more. If you can't up the weight, then you can up the repetitions for sure.

Thanks

Holding my legs out to the side is really helping but progress is slow.  With that I said, I better with slow progress than no progress.  

That's one of the cool things about kettlebell swings, you can up the reps and still get a benefit.  I am still going to pickup a used 44lb bell soon since my heaviest is 25lbs.

It seems that whenever I start something, like training hard, I hurt something.  I was working on a kata in class yesterday and there is a jump, needless to say, I landed the jump wrong and jammed my hip into my lower back.  I was able to go see my deep tissue guys today and it feels better but it is still letting me know it's there.

Along with my isometric side and back leg raises I did the following.

Kettle bell swings - 2 x 25 x 15 

Glute bridge - 2 x 12 - elevated on bosu.

I also wrote about 100 words today.

Do you have any way of doing deep tissue massage for yourself, like with a foam roller or a ball or something?

I am starting to wonder if the world of video games and the internet has given me a form of ADD. I find my mind moving at a million miles a minute and even while typing this, I thought about six other things.

I have wondered about this also. I hate it when people blame The Internet for all the evils in the world, but the attention span thing makes intuitive sense.

Do you have any way of doing deep tissue massage for yourself, like with a foam roller or a ball or something?

Oh yes, I spend a lot of time with the foam roller, stick and a tennis ball but I am abusing my body more now than I did when I was half my age as far as training and pushing myself.

I have wondered about this also. I hate it when people blame The Internet for all the evils in the world, but the attention span thing makes intuitive sense.

It's no ones fault by my own.  I know that I am wasting time, doing things that I should not but I think that has caused me to be less focused by constantly checking my phone and computer.  When I was young, I didn't have these distractions and my focus was much better.

I did my static side and back leg holds today but not weights because I have Karate class and my back is still talking to me, not as bad but I know it's there.

It's no ones fault by my own.  I know that I am wasting time, doing things that I should not but I think that has caused me to be less focused by constantly checking my phone and computer.  When I was young, I didn't have these distractions and my focus was much better.

Tell me about it! I´m trying to start studying again and boy I´m having difficulties to focus. I used to be able to study 4 hours straight just like that. Now my top is 1 hour.

I did my static side and back leg holds today but not weights because I have Karate class and my back is still talking to me, not as bad but I know it's there.

I added these sets in my routine and my back is thanking me for it. They take no more than 5 minutes. Perhaps you could give it a try.

Thanks for the routine Zuel.  My back is feeling somewhat better and will give it a try tonight. I am also hoping to get in most of my regular workout too.

Thanks for the workout Zuel!

I did my normal isometric leg raises at work.

I'm taking it easy and my back is staying quiet.  I can only feel it a little now and much less tightness than the last few days.

Started out with some foam rolling to loosen up the glutes and t-spine.

One legged deadlifts - 10lb kettlebell x 6 each side

Russian twists - 10 each side

Pikes - 8 each side

Rotational planks - 5 each side - those really hurt my toes, I need to wear shoe next time.

Superman crunches - 10

Leg raises - 10

Lying side leg raises - 12 each side

push ups - 25

One arm kettlebell rows with hand on chair for support - 15 x 12 each side

Bridge - 15

From seiza, raise up to tall kneeling as if someone is pulling me by head with a string.

Rolling on the floor using my legs for 5 each way.

All of this along with 5 Shotokan katas and 10 Iaido katas in about 45 minutes or less.

Wow. That is a formidable routine. You definitely do a better job of integrating the traditional exercises in than I do. Sometimes, with the way I keep dropping out of attendance in the dojo, I wonder if I'm even a monk at all, but you seem to be nailing it. Awesome work. Hope your back's okay.

=D Yay! I hope it helps! I´m sorry for the toes.

Mmm, I could add some weight in my one legged dead-lifts and some other of the exercises to add a bit more challenge.

I hope your back keeps feeling better and better!

Wow. That is a formidable routine. You definitely do a better job of integrating the traditional exercises in than I do. Sometimes, with the way I keep dropping out of attendance in the dojo, I wonder if I'm even a monk at all, but you seem to be nailing it. Awesome work. Hope your back's okay.

Thanks.  The back is better even after today's workout but now the dojo and I will see if it stays better.

I have always tried to keep the traditional exercises in my routine but this is the first time that I am having some sort of consistency. I have been training formally at least two times a week for the last three years but most weeks I train three times, two Shotokan classes and my Iaido class.

=D Yay! I hope it helps! I´m sorry for the toes.

Mmm, I could add some weight in my one legged dead-lifts and some other of the exercises to add a bit more challenge.

I hope your back keeps feeling better and better!

Thanks.  It is helping.  I was able to get in a good workout tonight.  The one legged deadlifts certainly tell me that my hips are out of alignment.  I am thinking that those will help me get more centered.  I have done those in the past but I never kept up with them because I didn't think they would do me any good but I am glad you suggested this workout because I can see some real advantages to it.  I am using it as a warm for the rest of my workout.

Today's workout:

One legged deadlifts - 15lb kettlebell x 6 each side - I need to up the reps on this one.
Russian twists - 20 each side - I am only using my hands instead of a wieight or medicne ball so that I don't aggrevate my back while twisting under a load.
Pikes - 8 each side - These are cool.  I can feel my obliques almost cramping even with the low reps.
Superman crunches - 12  - I can see adding some weight to these.  Good feel to these and no stress on the low back.
Leg raises - 12
Lying side leg raises - 15 each side - There is a definite mobility issue between my left and right side.  My left leg is much looser than the right but a few years ago it was the other way. 
Bridge - 15lb kettlebell x 15 - I can see the weight moving up on this one.
From seiza, raise up to tall kneeling as if someone is pulling me by head with a string 8 times.
Batwings 2 x 20 x 10 - 3-4 second hold at the top
Lying pullovers - 20 x 15
Trap bar squats 2 x 135 x 12

I did my 10 Iaido katas and then went to Karate class and did 23 Shotokan katas.  Nine of those katas have 54 moves and after the first three, I was dragging but then near the end I did some of my best katas, near the level when I competed at Nationals.    We also did a lot of stance training and some partner pad drills.  I really do like hitting stuff!

My back is sore now but I am hopeful a good sleep with settle it down.

Sign in to follow this