Shotokan's Six week challenge - Part 2

Shotokan

Have you tried any kind of self-myofascial release, aka foam rolling? I don't mean to sound like a parrot, repeating this stuff, but the only I reason I do is because I've seen such great progress with it with the clients I train. Everyone I've exposed this to has reported a huge dissipation in pain of movement, and lots of recovered functionality in as little as a day.

Today's workout:

One legged deadlifts - 15lb kettlebell x 6 each side - I need to up the reps on this one.
Russian twists - 20 each side - I am only using my hands instead of a wieight or medicne ball so that I don't aggrevate my back while twisting under a load.
Pikes - 8 each side - These are cool.  I can feel my obliques almost cramping even with the low reps.
Superman crunches - 12  - I can see adding some weight to these.  Good feel to these and no stress on the low back.
Leg raises - 12
Lying side leg raises - 15 each side - There is a definite mobility issue between my left and right side.  My left leg is much looser than the right but a few years ago it was the other way. 
Bridge - 15lb kettlebell x 15 - I can see the weight moving up on this one.
From seiza, raise up to tall kneeling as if someone is pulling me by head with a string 8 times.
Batwings 2 x 20 x 10 - 3-4 second hold at the top
Lying pullovers - 20 x 15
Trap bar squats 2 x 135 x 12

I did my 10 Iaido katas and then went to Karate class and did 23 Shotokan katas.  Nine of those katas have 54 moves and after the first three, I was dragging but then near the end I did some of my best katas, near the level when I competed at Nationals.    We also did a lot of stance training and some partner pad drills.  I really do like hitting stuff!

My back is sore now but I am hopeful a good sleep with settle it down.

Wow, very intense. Hopefully your back will get better with some deserved rest.

Have you tried any kind of self-myofascial release, aka foam rolling? I don't mean to sound like a parrot, repeating this stuff, but the only I reason I do is because I've seen such great progress with it with the clients I train. Everyone I've exposed this to has reported a huge dissipation in pain of movement, and lots of recovered functionality in as little as a day.

In one day? I have not tried the foam roll only because I have not found any of them here. But there is one place online where I could get one. I might take the risk and buy one.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

The foam roller and I have become really close friends.  My deep tissue docs have had me on an intense foam roller routine for about 6 months now.  I have been using a foam roller for years but I have just recently started to notice big improvements since I got more serious with it.  It's one of those type of pains that feels awful but has lots of benefits. I even bought a large PVC pipe to up the intensity but I am not using it much because it really hurts.

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

I did a shortened workout tonight because I haven't recovered from yesterdays Karate class yet.  My obliques are screaming today but in a good way.

One legged deadlifts - 15lb kettlebell x 10 each side

Pikes - 10 each side

Superman crunches - 15

Leg raises - 12

Lying side leg raises - 15 each side

Bridge - 15lb kettlebell x 15 

Only 2 Shotokan katas and 5 Iaido katas.  After all the katas in class, my legs are hammered.  The foam roller helped but the pain is down to the bones. 

Doing that static leg raises were really hard today too.

Doug

I find interesting how you are improving the core routine itself. The notes you added the day before yesterday are useful too. I plan to increase weight and repetitions when I can cram more into my 45 minutes frame.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

I find interesting how you are improving the core routine itself. The notes you added the day before yesterday are useful too. I plan to increase weight and repetitions when I can cram more into my 45 minutes frame.

It's a blessing and curse.   :playful: I take a routine, do it and then have to find ways to make it fit me.  All these years as a personal trainer makes it so that I can't leave well enough alone.  

I'm glad the notes are helpful.  I try to keep a detailed journal of how my workouts so that I can adjust them sooner than later.  The only problem is that I change things too often sometimes.  

Doug

Eek, that's only so good. If you need to rest, then get some rest!

As luck would have it, I didn't have a chance to workout yesterday but I did have a very hard Karate class.  My back was so sore afterward but oddly, today, it doesn't hurt at all.  For as much as it hurt, I was expecting to be very sore but so far so good.

Doug

Short workout today.  Just enough to get me ready to teach Karate and train Iaido.

One legged deadlifts - 20lb kettlebell x 10 each side - I need to watch my form better.  I am tilting more than I want to.

Pikes - 12 each side 

Superman crunches - 15  - Small 1 second pause at the top

Leg raises - 15

Lying side leg raises - 15 each side 

Bridge - 20lb kettlebell x 15

Hip hinge - 12

Doug

Took the day off from my workouts.  My t-spine is locked up for some reason and my neck is really tight.  I did do a couple katas and moved around when I was teaching Karate but I spent a lot of time not moving much.

Doug

So, I am wondering if picking weeds and cutting branches counts as a workout?  Hmmmm.....  

On a more serious note, I did write a lot today and over the last few days and I am sure I am well over my goal of 500 words per week.  

Doug

8/11/13

Russian twists - 10lbs x 12 each side - I am using a kettlebell for these and I am not noticing any pain in my back.

Pikes - 15 each side - One second pause at the top.

Superman crunches - 10lbs x 15  

Leg raises - 15

Lying side leg raises - 15 each side - I am really fighting with my right leg on these. I am going to add some specific stretching to see if I can make these better.

Bridge - 25lb kettlebell x 15 - one second hold at the top.

From seiza, raise up to tall kneeling as if someone is pulling me by head with a string 10 times.

Lying pullovers - 25lbs x 10

I also did 10 Iaido katas and one Shotokan kata

Some foam roller work and some stretching too

I am starting to see an improvement in my hip motion but I am having an issue with my t-spine being tight for some reason.  

I also need to do more farmers walks,  Those are an awesome movement for me but getting the weights outside is a real pain the butt.

Doug

I missed a couple updates I see:

It's a blessing and curse.   :playful: I take a routine, do it and then have to find ways to make it fit me.  All these years as a personal trainer makes it so that I can't leave well enough alone.  

I'm glad the notes are helpful.  I try to keep a detailed journal of how my workouts so that I can adjust them sooner than later.  The only problem is that I change things too often sometimes.  

Hahaha quite cool! I try to do that too but veeeeeeeryyyyyy slooooooooowwlyyyyyy. XD You, on the other hand, are adapting it quite swiftly and effectively.

Took the day off from my workouts.  My t-spine is locked up for some reason and my neck is really tight.  I did do a couple katas and moved around when I was teaching Karate but I spent a lot of time not moving much.

Perhaps some stress from another source?

So, I am wondering if picking weeds and cutting branches counts as a workout?  Hmmmm.....  

On a more serious note, I did write a lot today and over the last few days and I am sure I am well over my goal of 500 words per week.  

Definitely counts. Oldschool gardeners and farmers have strong rough hands because of that. Good on the writing goal!

8/11/13

Russian twists - 10lbs x 12 each side - I am using a kettlebell for these and I am not noticing any pain in my back.
Pikes - 15 each side - One second pause at the top.
Superman crunches - 10lbs x 15  
Leg raises - 15
Lying side leg raises - 15 each side - I am really fighting with my right leg on these. I am going to add some specific stretching to see if I can make these better.
Bridge - 25lb kettlebell x 15 - one second hold at the top.
From seiza, raise up to tall kneeling as if someone is pulling me by head with a string 10 times.
Lying pullovers - 25lbs x 10

I also did 10 Iaido katas and one Shotokan kata
Some foam roller work and some stretching too

I am starting to see an improvement in my hip motion but I am having an issue with my t-spine being tight for some reason.  

I also need to do more farmers walks,  Those are an awesome movement for me but getting the weights outside is a real pain the butt.

Great routine! Hopefully the hip and the t-spine will get loose in the following weeks. 

Thanks Zuel!  You are one of the main reasons I have been keeping up with my workouts.  You are like a motivational superstar!  Thanks again.

I took today off and did some stretching, kata and foam roller work.  I am sore from yesterdays workout and I think the rain here is making my back hurt.  I have been doing a lot of standing side leg raise, back leg raises and knee raises whenever I go to the bathroom at the office.  

Doug

Well, as long as you're still moving. Movement tends to be a very good cure for sore muscles. It hurts to get started, but once you do...

Very true!

Doug

Superman crunches - 20lbs x 15  

Bridge - 25lb kettlebell x 15 - one second hold at the top and feet elevated on low step.

Pushups - 25

Kettlebell swings - 20 x 12

DB row - 45 x 10

Suitcase carry - 60lbs 45 steps each side.

It figures that in Karate class, we did about 300 kicks tonight.  I knew that if I worked out, class would be tough and I was right.

I also did my front, side and back leg raises.

My kicks have improved and I am sure the workout is the reason.

Doug

Thanks Zuel!  You are one of the main reasons I have been keeping up with my workouts.  You are like a motivational superstar!  Thanks again.

I took today off and did some stretching, kata and foam roller work.  I am sore from yesterdays workout and I think the rain here is making my back hurt.  I have been doing a lot of standing side leg raise, back leg raises and knee raises whenever I go to the bathroom at the office.  

You are very kind =). I´m glad I helped, but you did all that amazing work yourself. =D

I hope your back feels better soon. 

It figures that in Karate class, we did about 300 kicks tonight.  I knew that if I worked out, class would be tough and I was right.

I also did my front, side and back leg raises.

My kicks have improved and I am sure the workout is the reason.

It´s so cool to notice results of all that hard training. XD 

It's been almost a week since my last update.  My lower back decided that it wanted me to take a little break.  It was bad enough that teaching Karate on Friday was painful but Iaido class wasn't too bad.  I ended up at the deep tissue guy on Saturday morning and he said that my SI joint was locked up causing the pain in my back.  After about 45 minutes of torture, the pain was gone and moving around wasn't too bad.

I did farmers walks on Wednesday and Sunday along with Karate class on Thursday and Iaido class on Friday.  I have still been doing my side leg raises at work and some other simple mobility drills but I plan on getting back to my workout today.

Doug

Hard training tends to go hand in hand with class. In general, technical training is considered the active recovery to strength training. But man, I don't know if I buy that given how hard some of the classes go.

That is so true.  I have classes in the past where I could hardly walk the next day and I didn't fully recover for three days.

Doug

It's been almost a week since my last update.  My lower back decided that it wanted me to take a little break.  It was bad enough that teaching Karate on Friday was painful but Iaido class wasn't too bad.  I ended up at the deep tissue guy on Saturday morning and he said that my SI joint was locked up causing the pain in my back.  After about 45 minutes of torture, the pain was gone and moving around wasn't too bad.

O_o Yikes man!

How are you doing now? Any way to prevent that for happening again?

It´s a good call not to force the back to do extra work this past week.

Great to have you back!

O_o Yikes man!

How are you doing now? Any way to prevent that for happening again?

It´s a good call not to force the back to do extra work this past week.

Great to have you back!

Doing much better thanks.  It hasn't really hurt me since I was worked on.  When it happened, it is like a lightening bolt.  I was afraid that I hurt a disc but it seems ok now.  I will find out today when I workout and then take Karate class.

I am not sure how to keep it from happening again.  I think I hurt it while doing a jump in one of my katas in Karate class and I jammed my hips.  I have had a lot of problems with my hips over the last nine years, When I started learning Karate, I could only side thrust kick about 3 inches off the floor, now I can get about 2 feet but I still have a long way to go.

Doug

My back was well enough to let me get in a workout yesterday and take a really hard Karate class.

Superman crunches - 20lbs x 20  - I think the extra weight is taking away from the movement.  I am going to go back to no weight, I seem to get more ab engagement.    

Bridge - 25lb kettlebell x 20 - one second hold at the top and feet elevated on low step.

Pushups - 35

Kettlebell swings - 25 x 15

Pikes - 15

Straight arm Pulldowns - 25 x 15

Side leg raises - 15

My deep tissue guy wants me to do a modified fire hydrant for my hips.  I start on all fours and then reach with the left hand and put the right leg straight behind and hold for 5 seconds and then do the other side.  My balance sucks with these.  I only 5 rep for each side.

Karate class was very hard.  We did well over 300 kicks and many of them were side thrust, hook and roundhouse kicks.  My kicks have improved a great deal but walking tonight is not too good for me.  We spent the rest of the class doing kata and of course, I did my favorite kata which has 54 moves at least 7 times along with 8 other kata before class.

All in all, things are going good.

Doug

Mm, modified fire hydrant. Hadn't heard that one before. I learned that stretch as "Bird Dog," because of the pointing aspect (I guess?). It's a good stretch, though.

But yep, you know your body. The whole point of strength work is to teach the muscles how to generate tension. If the weight is actually taking away from that, then you'd get stronger without any weight on there at all.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines