• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan's Six week challenge - Part 2

Mm, modified fire hydrant. Hadn't heard that one before. I learned that stretch as "Bird Dog," because of the pointing aspect (I guess?). It's a good stretch, though.

But yep, you know your body. The whole point of strength work is to teach the muscles how to generate tension. If the weight is actually taking away from that, then you'd get stronger without any weight on there at all.

Bird dog!  That's what I thought it was called too.  I think the fire hydrant is the one where you pick your bent leg up to side if I remember correctly.  

Not much in the way of workouts except for kata and my side leg raises.  I had a Karate class on Thursday that made it hard to walk until yesterday.  It was an awesome class and I ended training next to my Sensei that has trained me since I started over nine years ago.  I pushed myself harder than ever to try and keep up with him.  I couldn't move as well or as strong as him but I didn't embarrass myself either.

Sometimes, in those situations, not-embarrassing yourself has to be victory enough. Especially if your sensei's still in shape to train, which it sounds like he is.

Sometimes, in those situations, not-embarrassing yourself has to be victory enough. Especially if your sensei's still in shape to train, which it sounds like he is.

Oddly enough, he is 10 years younger than me and currently training for the Shotokan Karate World Championships that he is competing in next month. :peaceful:   

I switched up my workout a little bit again.  I just can't keep with the same routine.  

I used the following rep routine for 6 total sets with 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1 reps for each set.

Piles - One second hold at the top
One leg Bridge - body weight - Holding a tennis ball in my opposite hip, one second hold at the top.  The tennis ball is to keep my hip extended.
Pushups 
Trap bar dead lifts - 140 pounds
Superman crunches - body weight with three second hold at the top

Farmers walks - 60 pound dumbbell in each hand for 100 steps
Bird dog - 10 reps each side with a 5 second hold

Hear you, sir. I'm getting a little stir-crazy myself. Think I'll be switching things up when my plan is done.

Hey Shotokan! How are you doing? Looks like your back is feeling way better.

Not much in the way of workouts except for kata and my side leg raises.  I had a Karate class on Thursday that made it hard to walk until yesterday.  It was an awesome class and I ended training next to my Sensei that has trained me since I started over nine years ago.  I pushed myself harder than ever to try and keep up with him.  I couldn't move as well or as strong as him but I didn't embarrass myself either.

So cool! I bet more than a few were impressed you didn´t loose momentum. 

Oddly enough, he is 10 years younger than me and currently training for the Shotokan Karate World Championships that he is competing in next month. :peaceful:   

Impressive =O. Some people have the advantage of starting training in martial arts at an earlier age. It makes me so envious. If I ever have a child, I would try to push him a little into that direction XD.

I switched up my workout a little bit again.  I just can't keep with the same routine.  

Hopefully because you like to keeps things fresh, right? I´m so static in comparison with you and Kishi!

Hey Shotokan! How are you doing? Looks like your back is feeling way better.

Doing much better thanks!  I was taking things easy because one of my Sensei's was retiring last Thursday and I wanted to be able to give everything I had in class that day.  I trained Karate under him for seven years and I wanted to show him best.  I always show him my best but that night was special and my techniques were better than ever.

So cool! I bet more than a few were impressed you didn´t loose momentum. 

It was awesome for me because I knew that I put everything out on the floor and I was still able to walk out at the end of the class.  The next day was a different story though, because walking was tough.

Impressive =O. Some people have the advantage of starting training in martial arts at an earlier age. It makes me so envious. If I ever have a child, I would try to push him a little into that direction XD.

I started training at 38 and wish that I would have started when I was young but the work I had to put in and the obstacles that I had to overcome to get my black belt made that accomplishment much sweeter.

Hopefully because you like to keeps things fresh, right? I´m so static in comparison with you and Kishi!

I have a hard time sticking to one set of movements because I am constantly adjusting to meet my goals and to adapt to what my body will do on that particular day.  There are some days when 100 pounds feels like 10 and other days when 10 pounds feels like 100.  I have learned that I need to train for myself and within my limits so that I can continue to do it.  If it means taking a week off to recover, I will but if I can train every day, I do.  I do some time of training each and every day, even if it only a couple of katas, I made a deal with myself that I will do something to make me better and get me closer to my goals even if it does not seem directly related. 

I read somewhere that movement is life and stillness is death and will take life over the alternative any day.

I planned on a nice, quick workout tonight but the 10 minutes I planned on turned into an hour.  I did the workout below and then a bunch of other hip movements to try and get more internal hip range of motion.  My wife was kind enough to spend some time trying to suggest various movements.  I also spent some extra time working on my Karate katas and also helping my wife with some Iaido katas.

Piles - 15 reps with a second hold at the top.

One leg Bridge  15 reps - body weight - Holding a tennis ball in my opposite hip, one second hold at the top.  The tennis ball is to keep my hip extended.

Pushups - 20 reps

Side leg raises - 15 reps

Superman crunches - 15 with a hard crunch at the top

Congrats on that last session. Nothing like giving everything in the dojo. Walking the next day be damned. 

I have a hard time sticking to one set of movements because I am constantly adjusting to meet my goals and to adapt to what my body will do on that particular day.  There are some days when 100 pounds feels like 10 and other days when 10 pounds feels like 100.  I have learned that I need to train for myself and within my limits so that I can continue to do it.  If it means taking a week off to recover, I will but if I can train every day, I do.  I do some time of training each and every day, even if it only a couple of katas, I made a deal with myself that I will do something to make me better and get me closer to my goals even if it does not seem directly related. 

That sounds good. Specially because there is so much work the body can do, also the variety keeps things interesting. I think I should mix things up a little. I´ll try that in the next challenge.

Haha, that´s neat. I´m so looking forward to include my girlfriend in my exercise routines. Does your wife attend the same place as you?

Funny how the training does that. "Oh, yeah, I'll just take a few minutes... and a few minutes more... hm, what's another few?"

Haha, that´s neat. I´m so looking forward to include my girlfriend in my exercise routines. Does your wife attend the same place as you?

Yes, both my wife and son train Iaido with me with me.  It is really cool to have them with me and it forces us to do something together as a family.

Funny how the training does that. "Oh, yeah, I'll just take a few minutes... and a few minutes more... hm, what's another few?"

So true.  That happens more often than not.  

I'm sad that today is the last day of this challenge but I am also happy that my I was able to be consistent with my glute training.  My hips are working better than ever before because of the glute training and I have made more progress because because of this challenge than I have in the past.  I still have more work to do but I am at least confident that I can continue to improve.

I didn't do as much isometric work as I had planned and I am not sure why because it was only a few minutes a day.  I need to revisit that goal during the next challenge.

As far as not wasting as much time, I feel that I did improve but I still haven't gotten an farther with my book.  I did write many blog posts over the last six weeks though, so there was improvement.

Thanks for all the support and I am looking forward to seeing all of you again in the next challenge.

Hey, thanks for sticking around with us! Always glad to see more monks showing up, and being consistent with their training.

I know what you mean about isometrics. I'm wondering if it might not be worth it to go play with some Goju stuff, since they're big on isometric training in Karate, if I remember right. Or gymnastic type holds instead. Not sure.

See you soon!

Yes, both my wife and son train Iaido with me with me.  It is really cool to have them with me and it forces us to do something together as a family.

Fantastic! that is one of my goals in the future, train together with my family. It´s both healthy and a bonding experience, keep it up!

=D Congratulations on completing your second 6 weeks challenge! You rocked some goals and others are still pending, but you had a great disposition to progress, I´m sure you´ll get more goals completed next time.

See you in the next challenge man! =D

Sign in to follow this