EVE Online: Or Do I Need a Second Job?

I think I've reached the limit as to how many articles I can read concerning awesome EVE Online space battles.

I want back in (?). I played the game for several months YEARS ago. When I get home today I'm going to (probably) install the game and see if I can find my character(s). This time around want to at least try and make a better effort to make it over that first hill that seems to weed out a good number of n00bs.

Anyone else actively play? Any advice?

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

I played EVE for years in college. I won't go back because I am obsessed with that game and I feel it would suck too much time out of my life. 

But if you can handle it by all means play. And let me live vicariously through your character :D 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I love EVE! I almost never get on anymore, but I still am training skills!

My boyfriend has put together an awesome frigate team and we bring in isk by killing the people in T2 crap that actually show up trying to kill us.

It's fun fun fun!

My boyfriend has all the smarts when it comes to how that game operates though, and I'm sort of like the foot soldier who asks who I'm shooting and when. I don't really have the time to put a lot of effort into MMOs anymore.

Odyssey is an amazing expansion though. <3

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

I love EVE! I almost never get on anymore, but I still am training skills!

My boyfriend has put together an awesome frigate team and we bring in isk by killing the people in T2 crap that actually show up trying to kill us.

Oh god, and here I remember when T2 was the bees knees. Yeah, I'm an old timer. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I watched a good bit of that battle as it was going down on twitch.tv. These are the types of stories that got me interested in the game years ago, but I had about 2 failed starts before things started to click. The graph at the bottom, that most eve players have seen, certainly described my experience. Due to these failed starts, although my capsuleer is 4-5 years old, he only has 15-16M skill points since I gave up several times and didn't have a skill queue going.

So, yes...I still play and have been trying to nudge BigM back into the game, but failing. I need him to fire up his manufacturing lines to make me stuff! :) Initially I started by mining, hauling, and trading, then I got a couple of friends together and we created our own corp about 7-8 months back. I started mission running and exploring at that time. My friends played for awhile, but I have now inherited one of their accounts with a month of subscription left on it with a character with ~10M SP and about 800M ISK in assets. I'm planning on either flying him as an alt or merging the 2 accounts. The other friend I haven't seen online in sometime. I'm now thinking about jumping into a small gang pirate corp in low sec to give that a shot.

In any case, anyone who plays can look me up.... Nickolai Mantis

eve-learning-curve-2.jpg

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Oh god, and here I remember when T2 was the bees knees. Yeah, I'm an old timer. 

I really like the changes they've made to frigates. Honestly if you have a group of competent pilots in a frig. fleet, well. You can make a lot of gains at zero risk, basically.

We've even run Class 3 wormhole ops in frigates since Retribution. c:

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

Whelp, I just signed up for a 21-day trial and am currently downloading the client. Wish me luck!

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

Whelp, I just signed up for a 21-day trial and am currently downloading the client. Wish me luck!

Good luck! And look me up (Nickolai Mantis) and I'll toss you some ISK to help you start out (if I can do that with trial accounts....can't remember).

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I really like the changes they've made to frigates. Honestly if you have a group of competent pilots in a frig. fleet, well. You can make a lot of gains at zero risk, basically.

I don't even know what those words mean. There were no wormholes in my times. Damn young'ns! 

I don't even know what those words mean. There were no wormholes in my times. Damn young'ns! 

Unknown space is calling your name...

BigM...BigM...BigM...

:)

Good luck! And look me up (Nickolai Mantis) and I'll toss you some ISK to help you start out (if I can do that with trial accounts....can't remember).

No go on trial accounts, but I think I'm going to stick around after the trial ends. As of tonight I have 17 days left on my trial. I'll look you up when I log back in again.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

No go on trial accounts, but I think I'm going to stick around after the trial ends.

Actually, you can give ISK to trial accounts, just not from them.

I love EVE. Okay, so I only had a trial account and didn't have time or money to sub back then, and now I don't have a computer to play on. Once I buy a new PC, I'm thinking I should install the client and play again, but the game just takes all. My. Time. It's so addictive, even though half the time you're just sitting around waiting for your ship to get from place A to place B. :D Doesn't bother me, though, the space backgrounds are so pretty I don't mind staring at them. I don't care for mining or hauling or even trading, I really just like to fly around shooting things.

By the way, does anyone else find weird that EVE has probably one of the best character creations, yet you can't see your char except when you're docked at a station? I used to create characters and delete them just so I could tinker around with the CC. :P

Gah, now I want to get back into this game so badly.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

EVE is probably the best and the worst game I have ever played. The learning curve weeds out a lot of people that annoy you in MMOs which is a big plus. But I have not played the game in about 4 years for one simple reason: I spent so much time and money on EVE that I put a massive dent in my carreer path. I spent countless hours I should have been studying on playing or reading up on or theorycrafting whacky ideas for battles.

Looking back I had such a fantastic time that I dont really mind that it set me back quite a few years. But time has come and gone for me to improve my  career path and now I have to play catch up with people way ahead of me in my field.

Will I play again? Maybe if I win the lotto and dont have to worry abotu earning a living. But until then... no thanks.

As to the best Characther Gen weirdness: The fact that you only get to see it when you are docked is exactly why they can make it so complex. In other MMO's an extremely detailed character constantly having to be rendered would impact performance way too much to be worth the "ooh pretty" factor.

Oh and Hi im new :P

C3s in T1 frigs??? I feel a pulling on my leg...  :playful:  That must be a LOT of frigates. On your side, that is, not the Sleepers'. 

I'm a huge fan of tiericide, I sincerely wish they'd do that for some modules too ... most notably the ones where the T2 version doesn't perform any better than the meta-4, but uses more CPU/PG and burns up faster :rolleyes-new: . Odyssey was not the :awesome: I was really hoping for (as someone who happened to like exploration as a primary ISK source), and I'm not sure that it's done much to get more players out into low/null (which I thought was one of the "goals"?). I'm not seeing a significant number of new faces around Placid, besides the usual army of Multi-Stabbed Button-orbiting FW-alts, so *shrug*.

Talking to a lot of people in the blogging/meta community, it really seems the overall reaction to Odyssey in terms of the changes to "exploration" mechanics was :meh: and "CCP missed an awesome opportunity," and not much else. Sadly I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Ummm anyone else see the EVE: Valkyrie announcement? High speed dogfighting game with the Oculus Rift VR headset? I may just have to get this. And disappear....

Just watched the video earlier today. Looks awesome!

Just watched the video earlier today. Looks awesome!

This looks like a one way ticket to motion sickness!

PS Thanks to WizardTrip for helping out a fellow Rebel with some ISK. It was well spent!  :rapture:

If anyone wants to wade into the shallow end of EVE Online, here's a link for a 21-day trial: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=46124bf1-aa7f-4dd5-8294-577b88080c71&action=buddy

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

Ummm anyone else see the EVE: Valkyrie announcement? High speed dogfighting game with the Oculus Rift VR headset? I may just have to get this. And disappear....

SQUEE!!!!

Used to love Eve.  Appealed to both my inner  sci-fi and spreadsheet geek.  Had to stop playing it to get my MSc done.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Just a quick bump, for today (Black Friday) only, CCP is running a special on new accounts, $0.99 for the first month. So if you've been looking for a wild, sandbox, open-world PvP MMO to try your hand at, that has insane complexity, and equally insane (but mostly fun) playerbase, by all means, sign up. Elsewise, I can hook people up with a free 21-day trial as well, just PM me. :-)

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Bumping this back up, since a few of we EVE players seem to be taking over the general "games" thread... ;)

Guilty :)

About to fly my expensive clone 24 jumps through 2 big gank sites. I'll be in my cloaky cheetah, so all "should" be fine. Here's to hoping all goes well!  :nevreness:

Cloaky Cheetah should be good. Nano it up just to be sure. ;)

Made it through just fine.....sometimes I feel that thing can align and warp faster than a pod :) Now the only thing to get through later on will be my Loki....cloaky, but not near as quick as my cheetah.

• Like 1