Balsquith's 6th Challenge

Balsquith

The man sat in the half-light and trembled, he tried to control his breathing and calm his mind, but the tension which wracked his body would give him no respite. He sought out the calm but his ears still rang with the clang of the warning bells and the haunting screams of terror. He felt himself drawn down into a maelstrom of emotions: helplessness, anger and bitterness. There was something strangely comforting in the sadness. He wasn’t in control anymore, but what could he do anyway. He felt the veil of resignation slide over him and knew how easy it would be to submit, but something deep within him called out and he felt a hand grasp down through the fog pulling him up and out. In submission lay the way to despair and madness, he would not take this path, he would stay strong because his people needed him.

The darkness had returned to the land and the peace and tranquillity of the vale already felt like a distant memory, but now was not the time to mourn, now was the time to quench the fires, to rebuild, and to fight back.

Introduction: My life changed a bit for the worse during the last challenge due to the return of a major health problem and I watched as my routines began to fall apart and my motivation for almost everything fell away. Clearly this cannot be allowed to continue and I need to turn things around. While my motivation for many of the things in my routines is at an all-time-low, I wanted everything like this before and so I want to continue despite what my current mindset is sometimes telling me. These routines took me a long time to build and I don’t want to lose everything.

One of my main problems at the moment is that I am feeling a bit forlorn and I want to make sure that I keep giving myself opportunities to be happy rather than moping around feeling sorry for myself.

Main Quest: Stabilise my life

Goal 1: Rebuild the castle

I need to salvage the routines that I have been building up over the last few challenges. These are: Daily meditation, yoga, stretching, mobility and exercise at least 3 times per week.

Routines – more than 90% = A

Routines – more than 80% = B

Routines – more than 70% = C

Routines – more than 60% = D

Routines – less than 60% = F

Goal 2: Forge some swords

It has no guarantee of working, but there is a therapy that I can use that might show results in a few months’ time. Even though it might not work it is better than doing nothing and will hopefully make me feel more positive.

Daily therapy – more than 90% = A

Daily therapy – more than 80% = B

Daily therapy – more than 70% = C

Daily therapy – more than 60% = D

Daily therapy – less than 60% = F

Goal 3: Call the banners

I really enjoy playing Ultimate Frisbee and know lots of fun people who play, but I haven’t being going along. This is a great opportunity to get some exercise and be cheered up by some great guys at the same time. I want to play once a week.

6 times over the challenge = A

5 times over the challenge = B

4 times over the challenge = C

3 times over the challenge = D

Less than 3 times over the challenge = F

Goal 4: Send out emissaries

Something which I have wanted to do for a while is to keep in better contact with my friends and family. I will aim to send a letter or postcard at least once a week to a friend or relative who I have been keeping in touch with less than they deserve.

6 times over the challenge = A

5 times over the challenge = B

4 times over the challenge = C

3 times over the challenge = D

Less than 3 times over the challenge = F

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 1 Summary

I have managed to keep all off my routines either well or bubbling under. Meditation has been really hard but has at least started everyday. Yoga and exercise are both going relatively strong, albeit with a lower level of enthusiasm than I would like. My stretching has been reduced to a few lazy movements, but has been consistent. Mobility is the only area where I haven't done anything active, but have read my book. Definitely things to improve, but I think I would give myself a B for the week.

I have been very consistent and have completed my therapy everyday. Some days it has been difficult but I have done it, so I get an A for the week. Very pleased with myself.

Out of the 2 chances I didn't go to play any frisbee this week. It is a 3 hour roundtrip after work, so I need to be much more focused with reserving time to finish work on time and get going, and must not leave myself in a position where I have to use my willpower. At this time of day I have little left. An F for the week.

Such an easy goal, but procrastination got in the way and I still haven't written a card. A frustrating F for the week.

Overall:

A mixed bag. Very happy that I am holding some of my routines together and am making my therapy a new routine. Knowledge gained about my limitations as regards getting along to frisbee. The only real disappointment is my failure to be more in contact with people. This is new as a 'goal', but not as something which I want to do, and therefore I need to break the inertia I am currently in the middle of. This week will be the chance to do that.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 2 is going much the same way as week 1 for me so far. I seem to be managing to hold my routines together mostly which is a good thing and the daily therapy now seems to have become part of the routine too which is great (I actually started this in the gap between challenges, so I am now up to 4 weeks of compliance!).

The other parts of my challenge are not going so well. I had planned to go to play frisbee tonight, but the session has been cancelled. Which means no frisbee again this week. I will at least get a bit of replacement running by fitting in a sprint session today, but it is not optimal.

I also haven't managed to put any time aside to write cards/letters. I feel that the perfectionist in me is holding me back. I am not starting because it has been so long since I have written to people that I feel I should send something good. In reality the point is just to be more in contact with people, not to send something elaborate and poetic. It is hard to overcome this inertia in what is otherwise a really simple goal.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 2 Summary

All my routines are going well (or at least going), except for mobility (which had never really become a habit anyway). Meditation is pretty horrible given my circumstances but I am persisting with at least a couple of minutes a day to keep it in the routine. I am pretty much failing to focus though. Yoga is going but lacking enthusiasm, I am looking forward to the yoga teacher coming back from holiday so I can get classes in again. The gym sessions are going well and I am still making gains which is encouraging. My pullups seem to have fallen back a bit though, which could be due to trying to get my form in order, or a bit of mental toughness, I want to concentrate on these this week. Strong B grade for the week.

I missed a day of therapy so not as good as last week, but also not too shabby. Also a strong B.

Frisbee was cancelled this week due to most people being away at a tournament, so I'm not sure how I can grade myself really. I guess this counts as a bye week.

Once again an F, but a card has been written it just needs to be sent, which means as long as extreme procrastination does hit, I should have at least have started my progress towards this goal in the coming week.

Overall:

Average and a bit lethargic. I wasn't expecting anything else particularly at the moment, but I hope that I can fit in a few more social activities as I think these would do me the world of good.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Everything is moving along smoothly as regards my routines and therapy. Luck does not seem to be with me as regards playing frisbee, it is cancelled again this week. I shall make up for it with another sprint session.

I am really enjoying my exercise at the moment, it is providing a good release from other stresses. I am feeling slightly limitedby my gym though when I read about people doing barbell training. It is hard to find a program which I am confident that I can adapt to my equipment. On a plus note, yesterday I managed to do 5 pullups with halfway decent form, very happy with myself.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 3 Summary

My routines are rolling along without much enthusiasm, but with consistency which is what I am aiming for. Meditation was a bit better this week which was a relief. I was good to get back to taking a yoga class as I needed a bit of  a lift in my practise. My daily practise is still surviving but is getting shorter, something I need to watch. I think I am stuck in a bit of a rut.

My gym sessions are keeping me afloat in general and are something I am really enjoying. I still wish that I was in a gym with a barbell, but I do feel that I am getting stronger. I tried a maximum pullup test and got all the way to 7 last week. My form was pretty bad for at least the last 2, but it was a good feeling to finally get back to 5 again, having been stuck at a maximum of 4 for the past couple of weeks. I also fitted in a sprint training session to make up for the lack of frisbee, which was fun and hard work.

All in all (barring the lack of mobility work) this was a good week, once again a high B.

Once again I missed a day of therapy, but overall pretty good.  Also a strong B.

Frisbee was cancelled this week due to most people being away at a tournament, so I'm not sure how I can grade myself really. Another bye week!

A big fat F for my easiest goal. I really must do better here.

Overall:

A pretty average week all around. I am stuck in a bit of a rut in many areas at the moment and need to get my life moving a bit. Not sure exactly how I am going to do this, but getting A's across the board this week would be a nice place to start!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

My bad luck continues as both sessions of frisbee were cancelled this week due to the weather, annoying that the only frisbee was in the 1st week and I hadn't got myself sorted out enough to go at that point. Hopefully next week.

I think my gym sessions are my current strongest point out of all of my challenges. I'm really enjoying them, even though I've currently hit a bit of a plateau in virtually all my exercises. I guess it is time to spice things up a little and maybe try a few different things. I got some good advice over at the programming forum so hopefully I can start to implement some of those ideas in the coming weeks. I think I also need a few more targets to aim for in my fitness to make sure that I continue to head in the right direction.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 4 Summary

Going ok, but not great. I am seriously losing the motivation to get through my morning routine somedays. This week I can only give myself a C for this part.

Once again I missed a day of therapy, but overall pretty good.  A strong B.

Frisbee was cancelled this week due to a typhoon. Another bye week! This challenge is a bit of a blow-out. Only 2 out of 8 sessions have actually happened in the past 4 weeks. This week they will be on again so I need to make sure that I get myself along.

How can so easy a challenge prove to be so difficult to accomplish. A disappointing F again.

Overall:

A bad week for me in all ways. I am struggling somewhat in my life at the moment and I am not doing very well at finding ways to hold it together. The falling apart of my routines reflects the general falling apart which I am experiencing in all areas of my life at the moment. If I could get all the things I have outlined here in my challenge up and running things would maybe better, it is just surprisingly difficult to get myself going.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Final Summary

This goal started fairly well and persisted until the last 2 weeks where it started to fall apart quite seriously.

Routines – more than 60% = D

For the first 5 weeks of the challenge I stuck very well to daily therapy. In the last week I began to doubt that it will work at all and it began to fall away. I haven't seen any positive comments on the internet regarding the therapy except for those related to selling it, so I am not sure if I will try to continue it.

Daily therapy – more than 80% = B

Out of the possible 12 frisbee sessions I expected over the course of the challenge, only 4 actually happened, and 2 of these were in the first week when I hadn't really got myself organised enough to be able to go, and the other 2 were on the same night as my yoga.

Basically rained off = F

The easiest goal imaginable and I completely failed to do anything towards it. My communication in general suffered, and I find myself further out of the loop than before.

Grade = F

Overall:

The object of this challenge was to try and hold my life together somewhat. This was always going to be hard. I think the goals I selected were good and put me in a good position to be the best I could be, but I really didn't do very well at sticking with them. I have really struggled through the last 6 weeks and I can't see it getting any easier. I am not entirely sure what I plan to do in the future to try to improve things for myself. The goals I set in this challeneg are probably still a good place to start, and so I will endevour to continue with goals 1,3 and 4.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines