• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Here goes...

I have attached my starting picture, taken last weekend 7/27/13 at the Bronx Zoo. I'm the lady, the cutie is my husband. I don't have many pictures of just myself lately because it's embarrassing.

944545_10102851728639763_784614987_n.jpg

Race and Class: I am 30 years old, 5'3'' tall and weigh 175 pounds.  I've decided to be a Dwarf Ranger. 

I've been doing cross-fit style activities daily (and I do mean every single day) for nearly 8 months now, and eating clean (with varying degrees of success) for five months. I'm down 15 pounds since December and am currently fitter than I have ever been in my life, so I'm already on my way.

Main Quest: Fit into a size 12 pant. I'm 14-16 right now, depending on the pant.

Three Goals:

1. Walk 10,000 steps a day minimum. (+1 Stamina)

2. Have at least 1 vegetable snack a day (I already eat veggies with lunch and dinner, so I'm trying to sneak more in.) (+1 Constitution)

3. Remember. To. Stretch. I skip this step a lot after my workouts, and I'm going to pay for it if I don't change the habit.(+1 Dexterity)

Motivation: I'll tell you right now, it's not vanity or insecurity with how I look. That ship has sailed. My main motivation is not feeling like a 70 year old woman whenever I move around. I have back and knee problems and general aches and pains that make me feel ancient. This is ridiculous. Since starting work with a virtual coach/buddy of mine my pain has lessened considerably, but there is so much further to go. Then there's the high cholesterol thing and not wanting to die when I'm 50.

Side Quest: Find a new job. I believe I am about to succeed at this in a major way, which would be awesome. I write grants for a living and raise money for non-profits. It's the best work ever. The only problem with my current job is that due to restructuring my position is being eliminated. Yay development! (+1 Charisma)

Loot: Battle Gear. I had to add this idea once I saw it. Who doesn't like rewards? My Loot will be this custom made t-shirt.

front.jpg?db5eedb02749131b888a41cae1a835

I need more t-shirts now that the old ones are getting too big!

Nerd Cred: 

Science fiction (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, If you don't know about Buggalo you should go watch Futurama.)

RPGs (loving Diablo 3 right now)

Comic books (old school X-men + current titles ''X-Factor'', ''Wolverine and the X-Men'', ''X-Men Volume 4.''

Board Games - Munchkin, Marvel Legendary, Settlers, etc.

General love of knowledge

So that's it, I guess. That's where I begin.

post-20420-0-71424900-1375295752_thumb.j

Congrats on the 15 lbs-that's progress! Love the not wanting to feel old- there is my nightmare- driving around in one of those carts at Wally World, lol! Nope, only a strong old woman mentality here. Welcome challenger!

15 pounds is a wonderful loss! I think you have very attainable goals, I also wish I could add more veggies into my diet... let us know how you do it!

Thank you for the encouragement! Yep, I am in definite sugar withdrawal. Had a headache all -day thought my head would explode! I link the whole sugar/ carb craving issue to definite sleep deprivation. My kids range from 16 to 2 yrs. Definitely adds a challenge to life, but I couldn't live without a one of um.  :peaceful: Looking forward to your progress!

Hey there, how's day 3 treating you?

Are your back problems lower back? I used to have those and ended up going to a trainer who gave me a list of exercises to do to specifically strengthen that area (which has really helped). Let me know, I'd be more than happy to walk you through them.

Cheers!

Thanks guys! This is day #2! I just started yesterday. I knocked it out of the park yesterday. 10,000 steps + 100 ball slams and 100 leg curls (each leg.) And I stretched!

Yes, the pain is in my lower back. It has improved a lot since I started exercising, I think the main problem is I spend so much of my day sitting. Right now I have a brutal commute (3 hours daily on a good traffic day) plus a desk job. I try to stay on my feet as much as possible. But definitely interested in any new exercises that might help!

My commute may be changing soon if I get this job! *fingers crossed*

100 leg curls??!! :nevreness:  Ok, now you've made me feel like a wimp,lol. 3 hour commute- I feel for you, that would suck.

Wow, yesterday was a failure pretty much across the board. I'd call that my unhealthiest day in months.

I made a stupid decision to work from home yesterday, AND I skipped my usual regimen of protein pancakes in favor of oatmeal. This made me depressed and hungry (I have chronic depression, it's always trying to throw a wrench into my plans.) Then it started storming the first time I tried to walk, and I got soaked on the second time I tried to walk, and then it started storming again, so I only got halfway to my goal of 10,000 steps, which is the worst I've done since I even bought my Fitbit two weeks ago.

I did do my WOD though. I always do. It's like the one commitment I have to myself no matter how I'm feeling.

I was feeling weak and dizzy by the end of the day, so I ordered a cheeseburger. Sometimes when I feel like that, a burger makes me feel instantly better - not emotionally, but physically. And I did feel instantly better. I don't know what that can be - iron deficiency? Anyway, in addition to the burger, I also had curly fries, a sprite, and brownie, and I definitely did not need those things. So I went way over my calorie range for the day. Since I allow myself to eat like this once a week, that means I'm SOL when we go to see The Wolverine this weekend. Bye, bye, pretzels with cheese.  :nightmare:

Anyway, I know why things went off the rails and I decided today is going to be the opposite of yesterday. Today is a work from home day by default. So I started the day with my usual routine - shower, protein pancakes, and now I'm going for a walk. After I walk, I'm doing housework because this clutter is depressing me. Today's WOD is an easy half hour of basic yoga and that always feels good.

Tomorrow I'm testing myself with a six mile hike at a ''moderate to fast pace'' according to the Meetup group description. I've never done 6 miles before, but I'm dragging my husband with me and we're going to do this, dammit.

Good for you for getting back up on that horse. That is what this is all about. Recognizing when we fail BUT GETTING BACK UP!

Thumbs up on the hike!! :encouragement:

Killed it today! I was nervous the 6 miles would be too much, but it was fine. My knee started giving me some trouble around mile 4.5, but if it weren't for that, I would have felt fine to keep going a few more miles. The uphills were the only times I really felt I was pushing it. It rained and I came home soaked and muddy, but it was fun!

Also took a second walk a few minutes ago so I completed about 25,000 steps today!

Tonight's workout is pretty easy - 10 sit ups, 10 push ups, 10 supermans, for 10 minutes as many rounds as possible. My Coach told me he's going easy on my legs today and tomorrow, but Monday - his words - ''It's mother-fuckin'-on!''

Wow, and you called me YOUR inspiration! Seriously awesome! :encouragement: 

I understand the knee thing and sympathize. I injured my left one several times and now the dang thing bugs the heck out of me! :nonchalance: 

Rained here too, thought about taking a walk to work out the soreness- but didn't feel like getting soaked. We're scheduled for rain for the next four days. :numbness:

It sounds like you are already eating really clean, for the most part. Doing pretty close to whole 30 has really reduced my pain. At some point, I might look at the Autoimmune version to see if there is anything else I need to get rid of, but so far, not ready yet.

I am on Cymbalta after doing battle with myself about anti-depressants for years. When they approved it for joint pain, I said, "Okay. If it's going to make me hurt less AND help with the depression, I am willing." Not perfect, but decent relief at a low dose.

Pleasure to meet you. Now kick some challenge ass!

I was feeling weak and dizzy by the end of the day, so I ordered a cheeseburger. Sometimes when I feel like that, a burger makes me feel instantly better - not emotionally, but physically. And I did feel instantly better. I don't know what that can be - iron deficiency?

I get that way when I haven't had enough protein and/or salt. Accordingly I keep a protein bar and mini-V8 in my bag with me.  Have you been tested for an iron deficiency?

Great job in rallying at the end of the week, keep up the momentum!!!!

Sunday - another good day. Especially a winner in the nutrition department - had a light breakfast, then for lunch made a kale & chicken sausage dish (plus carrots and corn - really tasty!) I'm about to make stir fry for dinner.

I'm mulling over this Paleo thing. I tried Paleo cold turkey a couple of years ago and I got really sick - and really, really depressed. I'm not sure if I'm on board with all the restrictions (I'm pretty sure dairy is a must for me), but I definitely agree that I should avoid wheat and breads and such, if only because they aren't as nutritionally dense as other food. I eat brown rice occasionally - making some now, for instance. But I'm thinking about it. I've gotten to the point where I'm eating mostly clean (except for once a week treats) and I would describe my diet as pretty healthy. But now that I have a baseline I can slowly start introducing some changes in order to perfect it.

I've got my breakfast down - Blueberry Oatmeal Protein Pancake. It is hands down the most filling and energy-sustaining breakfast I have found. 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1 egg white, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tsp vanilla, cinnamon to taste. That's it. I make the batter the night before so all I have to do is plop it on the skillet. Then I top with blueberries and a glass of whole milk. Bam! 30 grams of protein, 571 calories (including the milk.) That gets me from 6am to 12pm without needing a snack.

Okay, so I figured out breakfast. Next is lunch. My lunches have been healthy, but boring. Like a can of plain tuna with steamed peas every day. I'm going to slowly start tweaking my lunch into something more interesting and filling.

Fitness was good. About 12,600 steps followed by 100 ball slams in the park. I did the slams in 3 sets : 50-25-25 and I was pretty happy with that.

Today is my 8 month fitness anniversary - in 8 months I missed 3 workout days, but that was before my coach convinced me to never skip a workout again. It has probably been close to 6 months of literally every day exercise, even on sick days. In the rain and mud. In the snow. While I was depressed. You name the obstacle, I worked out anyway. To me that is a great accomplishment all by itself. It is one of my most cherished rituals, because no matter what happens in the day I have this comfort of knowing I'm always going to be taking steps toward my goals. I can never go to sleep thinking the day was an absolute failure.

It's amazing how far I've come in 8 months. I cleaned the living room today and swept the floors, wasn't really thinking about it all that deeply. But later my husband pointed out to me that my back pain used to be so bad I couldn't bend over to get my dirt piles into the dustpan and had to wait for him to come home to do it for me. That blew my mind, because I totally forgot, there was a time in my life when I could not put dirt into a dustpan.

My depression has been managed well the last couple of weeks. The only severe depression I had was the day I didn't do as many steps or eat nutritiously. I've found the trick is that I have to do more than just one workout a day. One daily workout has little to no effect on my depression. I have to create a lifestyle that is continually active. That is my challenge. Constantly moving. And it seems to be working. Lately I can't stand to sit still for long. 

Congrats on the anniversary! Sounds like you are doing awesome!

I am so doing those pancakes! Thanks for posting that!

Unfortunately I can't do total paleo here. My group is too big and meat is not an every night option. I just add in as many paleo meals as works.

I understand, I detest being inactive. When I wasn't working out I just constantly stayed busy.

Today is my 8 month fitness anniversary - in 8 months I missed 3 workout days, but that was before my coach convinced me to never skip a workout again. It has probably been close to 6 months of literally every day exercise, even on sick days. In the rain and mud. In the snow. While I was depressed. You name the obstacle, I worked out anyway. To me that is a great accomplishment all by itself. It is one of my most cherished rituals, because no matter what happens in the day I have this comfort of knowing I'm always going to be taking steps toward my goals. I can never go to sleep thinking the day was an absolute failure.

It's amazing how far I've come in 8 months. I cleaned the living room today and swept the floors, wasn't really thinking about it all that deeply. But later my husband pointed out to me that my back pain used to be so bad I couldn't bend over to get my dirt piles into the dustpan and had to wait for him to come home to do it for me. That blew my mind, because I totally forgot, there was a time in my life when I could not put dirt into a dustpan.

My depression has been managed well the last couple of weeks. The only severe depression I had was the day I didn't do as many steps or eat nutritiously. I've found the trick is that I have to do more than just one workout a day. One daily workout has little to no effect on my depression. I have to create a lifestyle that is continually active. That is my challenge. Constantly moving. And it seems to be working. Lately I can't stand to sit still for long. 

Wow!  I'm a bit lenient about keeping my workout appointments.  I'll remember you (and your results) the next time I don't feel like going out the door for my walk or run.

Amazing work so far!  You've already made great progress working up to your 8-Month Anniversary (mad props!) and now you're accomplishing even more!  I agree with AshPS about GETTING BACK UP!! -- that's the key :)  Fall down seven times, stand up eight!

I love your blueberry protein pancake recipe!  I'm going to have to try that!  I might have to find a sub for the oats...  :)

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Gurren Brigade!!

Sorry I can't make the rounds to group threads tonight. I took a longer than expected walk and didn't leave enough time for winding down before bed.

Overall evaluation of Week 1: B-. It was really two fantastic days and one horrible day. 

Monday: First day of Week 2 off to a great start. Overall Score = A

Steps (min 10,000): About 12,000 = (1/7)

1 veggie per day: Eating grape tomatoes right now. Not technically a vegetable, but I think it counts. = (1/7)

Stretch: Uh, yeah I'll get right on that. (1/7)

I just finished a brutal workout with many PRs for most in one day.

10 rounds of 10 each:

lunges, sit-ups, squats, arm-circles (4-count), kettlebell swings (14lbs. Yeah, I'm weak. Give me time.)

Time: 37 minutes.

That's 100 of each exercise. I was underhydrated, had to take lots of water breaks. I'll do better next time.

Oh, and I feel A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Buggalo - as far as paleo goes, you can still add dairy into your diet.  I eat it in moderation while on Paleo... as long as you don't have stomach upset because of it.  Also, in terms of getting sick - make sure you are still eating around 50 grams of carbs a day (fruit and vegetables) so you don't get too sick.  Whenever I tried eating super low carb, I was always anxious and sick.. no good!