• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Okay, this isn't an official update. I'm just feeling like writing some things down. This is my space, right? I might as well make myself at home here.

Over the last 8 months I have slowly gained confidence, not just in my fitness but in other areas of my life too. I'm reading this book called ''Time Warrior,'' and though the author is a little bit Yoda in tone, there are some valuable insights. One of the insights is that personality is a mental construct and we really limit ourselves with the stories we tell about who we are.

I think most of us can say in a flash a little bit about Who We Are. I would describe myself as highly empathic, silly, friendly, extremely introverted, over-emotional and easily overwhelmed. This is my story about myself and I never really thought about it this way, but I suppose I have a tendency to only act in ways that are consistent with my story. That includes all of the negative traits I associate with myself at times - lazy, undisciplined, self-absorbed, etc.

Well, as I've become more and more engaged in a healthy lifestyle, I've started to let go of my attachment to the story of myself. In the past I might have said that I lack self-discipline or that I give up too easily, but I now I have to reconcile that with the fact that I exercise every day, and I exercise HARD. My husband, who is naturally thin but not particularly fit, has outright said that he refuses to work out as hard as I do. There is nothing lazy or undisciplined about my fitness regimen. I think of myself as not having much energy, but lately I've been bouncing off the walls and can't sit still.

And the way I think has changed, too. I used to see so many obstacles to solving my problems, so many in fact that I honestly believed there was nothing I could do about them. My Coach has really opened my eyes to the fact that I'm nowhere near helpless, and that a lot of my so-called obstacles were just excuses grounded in the fear of discomfort.

Well, today I had another challenge to my own self-conceptualization. I consider myself an introverted, shy person, but in my field of nonprofit development, people skills are a must. Despite all these other skills I bring to the table, I've had genuine anxiety that my shyness will hold me back in this career path. A lot of people in my field have a salesperson mentality. That's not me. I'm the one working behind the scenes on the marketing strategy, writing the grants, managing the database, but someone else can go give the sales pitch. But to really make it in development, you have to be all things to all people.

Today I had to go recruit volunteers from a local college, something I've been dreading all week. I had to go by myself, I had to drive across the city, I felt underdressed in an organization t-shirt, everybody had fancy displays and I just had these black-and-white flyers. I'm just sitting there like, ''Who am I to be doing this?"

But I kept thinking of this Time Warrior idea, ''Be who you need to be in the moment.'' 

So I tried an experiment. Instead of worrying, I just did it. I was who I needed to be in the moment. And not 15 minutes into the event, I realized I really can do this. And I was doing it well. At the same time, I didn't feel like I was betraying the essence of myself or anything. At that moment I realized I really can excel at this, people skills and all, and still be truly and authentically myself.

I realized all this stuff I've been feeding myself about how hard it's going to be to learn this stuff was total B.S. My skills improved just from watching the more experienced people making their pitches.

This is but one example, but it has me wondering: How much else about myself do I have all wrong? What else am I telling myself I can't do? What if all along I've had exactly what I need and have been exactly who I need to be?

Food for thought.

I'll read your unofficial updates anytime.  This is so inspiring!  Thanks for sharing.  

I think we have similar personalities.  You are a few steps ahead of me though  :nevreness:   What kind of Coach are you working with?

And, you have overcome your shyness here! I couldn't be prouder. Sounds like your on a journey to discover who YOU really are. Awesome work.

Official End-of-Day Report (these will be purple from now on so you can get to the point if you want to skip all my ramblings.)

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 10, 473 steps

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): Carrots

Goal 3 (stretch after workout) Done

Grade = A

Today's Workout of the Day (WOD):

100 4-count side-arm circles - without rest

100 4-count overhead claps - took breaks

100 flutter kicks - without rest

Feeling pretty great, though I'm a little sore from all those squats yesterday.

I'll read your unofficial updates anytime.  This is so inspiring!  Thanks for sharing.  

I think we have similar personalities.  You are a few steps ahead of me though  :nevreness:   What kind of Coach are you working with?

Thank you! Trust me, when I started out I was in really bad shape. I was weak and I injured myself constantly. We had to constantly train around my injuries. I didn't realize at the time how huge the rewards would be if I stuck to it, but I'm glad I did.

My Coach is actually a guy I've known since 4th grade (my husband teases me because he was my 4th grade ''boyfriend'' - and the funny thing is, we ''broke up'' because he led a more active lifestyle than I did - no joke!) Anyway, he lives in Texas now in the military and he trains soldiers to survive POW situations. He's extremely hardcore - even his friends think he's nuts. Personality-wise we couldn't be more different, but it turns out I need that. He doesn't suffer wimps very well. One day I Facebook messaged him to ask what sort of bodyweight exercises he would recommend, and before I knew it he was assigning me daily cross-fit style workouts and sending me videos on technique. One day I told him I almost threw up during one of the workouts, and he told me if I did throw up, to finish my workout and then post I AM NOT A PRIMA DONNA on my Facebook wall. I told you he's insane. In the beginning I yelled at him so much because he wasn't having any of my excuses, but his approach has changed my life. And he won't take money, either. So, I'm just really lucky. I know what I've found is a rare thing.

Another awesome day down! Booyah,lol! Thank you for your kind words. I have regrouped and am ready to get back on track. Love the idea of the different color for the post. Plus, my favorite color is purple! :rapture:

Hey!

Glad to have you on the Team! And Super glad to have another Dwarf on board! Looking forward to hearing your progress. Congrats on 8 months! thats something to be proud about!

Wednesday, August 7th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 10, 494 steps

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): Red bell pepper (which I am eating right now, because I always forget this one.)

Goal 3 (stretch after workout) Done

Grade = A

PLANKS OF DOOM!!!!

5 minutes center plank

5 minutes left plank

5 minutes right plank

This was a horribly frustrating workout. I expected it to be painful, but I did not expect to feel as weak as I did - my muscles are still sore from Monday's supreme effort. It took me a full hour with all the resting. But my only real requirement for my WODs is that I do them. And I did it. I whined the whole time, but it got done.

Also, I don't think I officially announced this in my own thread yet - my bloodwork came back, and my cholesterol is back down to NORMAL. Two years ago when I was tested it was on the borderline between moderately high and really high. This is the most important thing I have ever accomplished in my health and fitness endeavors. Other than fish oil supplements, I took no medication. Just good old fashioned exercise and proper nutrition. 

I did have a B12 deficiency, though, so I have to get shots over the next 8 weeks. I eat a LOT of foods with B12 so it must really be an issue with my body absorbing the vitamin.

I had my 2nd job interview today (the first was a phone interview, so this was my first time going in person.) Like the first interview, I really couldn't have asked it to have gone better. We ended up talking organizational strategy for like 2 hours, and I found the many ways this job would be mind-blowingly awesome. For instance, they like data! And collecting it! And reporting it! A development manager's dream. I got lots of positive feedback during the interview, but of course now we must wait. There's a possibility the Executive Director would like to meet me before they make the hiring decision. I can't even tell you how huge this job would be for my career. To have opportunities at this level so soon after graduating (2011) is just beyond my wildest expectations. And the kicker is, I'm READY for it. Even though a lot of it is new and challenging stuff, I feel like I'm going to be in my element. So naturally every second of waiting to hear back is an eternity.

I'm reading a second book now by the same guy who wrote Time Warrior (I'm re-reading Time Warrior a chapter a day.) The book is called ''The Story of You'' by Steve Chandler. It sounds cheesy but a lot of this stuff seems life-altering for me. I guess I'm just at the right stage in my life to have this paradigm shift. Chandler says, if you encounter a problem, you must overwhelm it. You must throttle it, beat it into submission, attack it with everything you have. Show the problem who's boss! I find this so empowering. I just find that lately all my doubts and fears and insecurities are falling away, making room for a new narrative, one in which I am powerful, blessed, and talented. And I feel nothing but gratitude for all that I have.

Hi buggalo!

I see that you are also in development! I wish you luck for finding a new job! I'm also in this process...

I think that with such motivations there is no way you won't get what you wish!

I just loved reading your posts! Especially the one where you mentioned the book "time warrior".. I also have came to the same conclusions: be who you need yo be . I read a really good article from James clear on the subject:it states that to build sustainable habits we need to adopt the identity that fits the changes. I used this lately for a job interview and it went amazingly. ( let's cross the fingers)

I will also join your other admirers: you've build strong healthy routine while being depresses which I guess helped you dealing with it brilliantly! This coach of yours is a valuable friend as well!

Well you re not a prima donna (whatever a prima Donna is: ))

Thanks for the book references! I love reading self-help book at the moment!

Your success story put me in a good mood! ( yes I do like reading success stories)

A big huge warm thank you!

Hi buggalo!

I see that you are also in development! I wish you luck for finding a new job! I'm also in this process...

I think that with such motivations there is no way you won't get what you wish!

I just loved reading your posts! Especially the one where you mentioned the book "time warrior".. I also have came to the same conclusions: be who you need yo be . I read a really good article from James clear on the subject:it states that to build sustainable habits we need to adopt the identity that fits the changes. I used this lately for a job interview and it went amazingly. ( let's cross the fingers)

I will also join your other admirers: you've build strong healthy routine while being depresses which I guess helped you dealing with it brilliantly! This coach of yours is a valuable friend as well!

Well you re not a prima donna (whatever a prima Donna is: ))

Thanks for the book references! I love reading self-help book at the moment!

Your success story put me in a good mood! ( yes I do like reading success stories)

A big huge warm thank you!

Thank you for your sweet message! How interesting that we're both in a similar place right now. Best of luck with your job hunt.

My husband and I were talking about the positive changes happening in my life right now, and we came to the conclusion that all the little habits I've been working on have started to add up into something greater than the sum of its parts.

A prima donna, in case you wondered, is the female star of a ballet. Prima donnas have a reputation for being sensitive, demanding little divas, so my Coach was saying that I am not a wimp!

Thursday, August 8th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 11,094 steps

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): Radishes. Once again, eating them at the last minute. Truth be told, I'm woefully underprepared in the snacking on vegetables department. I'm going to have to plan to get more veggies this week from the grocery store and prepare them for the week ahead of time.

Goal 3 Done, with bonus yoga stretching.

Grade = A

A beautiful, easy day...

20 minutes beginner yoga

20 minutes stretching

20 minutes icing

This was my first serious stretch in a while. I held each stretch for 2 minutes. It felt so good! I needed that. Badly. My muscles are pulverized still from Monday's workout. The soreness isn't intense or anything, but when I try to use my strength, the strength is just not there.

I walked 5,000 steps at lunch and when I got home I could have gone straight to bed. I wanted to skip the last 5,000 steps so badly, but I couldn't stand the thought of a low grade today! I'm glad I stuck with it because I feel so much better now.

This morning I cracked 174 pounds for the first time, coming in at 173.4.  No question now that I'm losing weight, about 3 pounds in 3 weeks. That's pretty fast. It was definitely the Fit Bit Zip pedometer that turned things around for me. Those 10,000 daily steps are making a big difference.

Whoo Hooooo!!!!! You get a happy dance!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

So proud of you! That is awesome! :redface:

I completely understand how it feels to break a certain mark you've been stuck at. :nonchalance:

Friday, August 9th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 10, 743 steps

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): Raw broccoli with italian dressing

Goal 3 (stretch after workout) I'll do it right after the broccoli, I swear

Grade = A

Go up stairs backward 8 times

Go down stairs backward 8 times

I realize this may seem like an odd workout but I have bad knees and this helps to condition them. The workout was preceded by a long walk on a hot day so I had actually worked up quite a sweat by the time I got to this point.

In other news, I continue to wait for a call regarding the job I really want. The wait is rather agonizing.

I started working on my depression book today, and the somber tone made me feel very depressed. So I decided I was going to write a book about depression that is not depressing. I rewrote the first chapter with as much humor and candor as I could, and it was really fun to write. The message of the first chapter is It's Not Your Fault, But It Is Your Responsibility. I shared it with my husband and he got really excited about the whole thing. I have just begun to scratch the surface of this undertaking, but I feel like I'm moving in a positive direction!

That doesn't seem weird at all. If we had stairs anywhere here I would try it because my left knee really act up on me too. :numbness:

I detest waiting. One of my pet peeves, lol.  :nonchalance: 

Hope the book gets better for you, but I'm sure it's going to help a lot of people! :peaceful:

Saturday, August 10th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 10, 486 steps. I went on a hike. It was a decent hike with moderate terrain, but I didn't eat enough beforehand so I was kinda weak the whole time.

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): 3 cups of raw broccoli with light Italian. Yeah, 3 cups was maybe a bit much.

Goal 3 (stretch after workout) Done

Grade = A

50 bench dips (triceps)

My total weight loss since December 2012 is 20 pounds.

Today felt kind of lacking to me, though I did achieve my goals. I didn't really get any physical activity in until the end of the day, and I prefer to be somewhat active (moving and walking around) the whole day because it helps ward off the depression. I had some back pain from sitting/poor posture while I worked on my book. I think I'm going to start writing standing up.

Tomorrow my WOD is to do 30 (assisted) pull-ups. Problem is I've had difficulties mounting my pull-up bar since the only place I can do it is my hallway, with drywall. I may have to go to the hardware store tomorrow, and it's going to be kind of an ordeal.

Good going on your goals!

20 lbs is awesome! Way to go! And, good luck on that pull up bar. Hope it goes better than expected! :peaceful:

Sunday, August 10th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 16,217 steps. Long hike today, about two hours long, total steps for the day added up to around 7 miles. I was quite pleased with my stamina today, but my knee gave me some hell toward the end. I just finished icing it.

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): Red bell pepper

Grade = A

30 (assisted) pull ups

I did the assisted pull-ups in the park, but the bar is not optimal height. The hardware store didn't have the screws I needed to mount my home pull up bar either. So I'm going to buy a new pull up bar, one that doesn't suck to mount.

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

All goals met on all days!

Total weight lost: 1.8 lbs

Grade: A

Dom and I had a talk about hiking. He's not as into it as I hoped he'd be. He likes it, but I am really intense and always wanting to push the time/distance to the limit, he more wants to relax and hike for only 1-1.5 hours max. So I'm just going to have to get my long hikes out of my system through the Meetup groups. I am very grateful my husband is as supportive as he is. I worry a little bit that our fitness levels are going to radically diverge soon. Right now I am quite a bit more fit than him (even though he is skinny! grr) and always seem to have more gas in the tank than he does.

Finally, I had a scoop of ice cream. The last time I had ice cream for a treat I had a small Carvel Sundae and it turned out to be 1000 calories!!! So this time I looked up the calorie amount ahead of time and had 1 scoop of chocolate ice cream for 270 calories. I'm still coming in under my calorie budget today. Hiking is a really good pastime if you want to eat more!

Monday, August 12th, 2013

Goal 1 (min 10,000 steps): 11,771 steps

Goal 2 (one veggie snack a day): raw carrot

Grade = A+

I get an A+ because I was feeling sick and stressed all day, but I stuck to my goals anyway. I started feeling really sick on my walk but I kept going, and then when I got home I did my WOD even though I felt awful. 

7 sets of 5 deadlifts, with progressively heavier weight

I'm a little embarrassed to report my weight here because I know it's not much. 3 sets of 28 lbs, 2 sets of 34 pounds, 2 sets of 40 lbs. That's as high as my dumbbells go. I might have to invest in new weights soon!